PDA

View Full Version : *Official* "We could have won this!" 5/23/08 Postgame Thread

Viva Medias B's
05-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Well, boys and girls, it's hard to win 9 in a row. We at least started some momentum to carry us into tomorrow's game.

Domeshot17
05-23-2008, 10:26 PM
We got outplayed, but we had our chances.

Thome and Crede looked aweful, Crede missed a hanger than chases the tight yacker.

Oh well, we weren't gonna win out, get um tomorrow.

Rockin Robin
05-23-2008, 10:27 PM
Seeing Jim Thome strike out is taking years off of my life.

sox1970
05-23-2008, 10:27 PM
When someone calls Ranger and bitches about Thome, it's not me, but I probably agree with him.

Viva Medias B's
05-23-2008, 10:28 PM

Jim is nearing the end.

MinnySoxFan
05-23-2008, 10:29 PM
When someone calls Ranger and bitches about Thome, it's not me, but I probably agree with him.

and I'll be agreeing with you.

Medford Bobby
Man, I felt that wind out here Arizona...........:angry:

kittle42
Thome looking pretty useless.

turners56
We had a chance, we had a chance the entire game in fact, but yeah, we kind of didn't score for 8 innings...

Floyd pitched much better than what it looked like. If he didn't lose his control, this game would be still going on right now, or we might of won already. Who knows? To me, Gavin had his no-hit stuff tonight. But Torii Hunter ruined the party and shook Gavin's confidence up. I don't know how he hit 2 straight batters. Gavin seriously needs to pitch better out of the stretch.

veeter
Another complete game by a Sox pitcher in a loss. Saunders was tough, though. Good job Gavin. If Dye elevates that ball we're tied. OC breaking out? Swisher still bad. Even it up tomorrow. Go Sox!

whitesox4eva
05-23-2008, 10:30 PM
who is this dewayne wise guy who came in as a pinch runner was he just called up? anyone know anything about him?

turners56
05-23-2008, 10:30 PM
who is this dewayne wise guy who came in as a pinch runner was he just called up? anyone know anything about him?

I remember him with the Tigers a couple years back.

Hey, you were on Gameday Chat.

JB98
05-23-2008, 10:31 PM
Rodriguez threw nasty pitches to Thome, which will be lost upon all those who hate Jim so much. The pitch to strike out Crede was nasty as well.

I can't be disappointed with this loss. We ran into a tough pitcher tonight. We tried to come back, had the right guys at the plate, just couldn't quite do it.

Nice effort by Floyd to go all nine, but unfortunately, he was the second-best pitcher out there tonight.

sox1970
At least Detroit, KC, and (hopefully) Cleveland all lost.

ondafarm
I wonder if the Trib will mention how bad umpiring cost the White Sox a chance in this one?

SouthSide2Ship
I can't stand this! I feel like were gonna win 99 games after A win, and like were gonna lose 90 games after A loss. :scratch:

Domeshot17
Thome has almost 50 strikeouts already.

This is one of the fastest drop offs in a long time, he was solid when healthy last year, this year he is aweful.

Overall Gavin did well, 9 IP 3 ER, fought his control again but he pitched out of it. I just wish Crede or Thome could have had better ABs. They both got their pitches, Crede missed 2 (popped the first one up and got lucky it got out, flipped the other one foul), Thome just watched the first pitch fastball down the pipe.

Rockin Robin
I wonder if the Trib will mention how bad umpiring cost the White Sox a chance in this one?

Hawk? Is that you?

kittle42
05-23-2008, 10:32 PM

The internet is your friend.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/wisede01.shtml

turners56
Another complete game by a Sox pitcher in a loss. Saunders was tough, though. Good job Gavin. If Dye elevates that ball we're tied. OC breaking out? Swisher still bad. Even it up tomorrow. Go Sox!

We should of jumped on Saunders in the first. Unfortunately, Quentin had a terrible at bat and missed a good pitch to hit. Then Dye and Thome went down swinging ugly. Inexcusable. We should of at least had a run in that first.

Tragg
115 pitches for Floyd....that's getting to the far outer band for starters on this staff this season.

Viva Medias B's
05-23-2008, 10:33 PM
We're going to be just 2 up on Minnesota, but we'll remain 4 up on Cleveland provided Texas' lead over them (currently 12-9 in the top of the 8th) holds up. So there won't be too much collateral damage. And I don't really expect the Twins to remain in the AL Central race. Right now, I think the AL Central title is between us and the Indians.

turners56
115 pitches for Floyd....that's getting to the far outer band for starters on this staff this season.

He was cruising. He didn't run into trouble again until the 9th.

Domeshot17
I can't stand this! I feel like were gonna win 99 games after A win, and like were gonna lose 90 games after A loss. :scratch:

This team is really streaky like that, you see a game like tonight where the offense again doesn't show up, ends on 2 terrible ABs by 2 of our supposedly better hitters. So far this team has shown it will either bounce back strong from a game like this, or really go ice cold for the next week, there has been no middle.

sox1970
05-23-2008, 10:34 PM
We're going to be just 2 up on Minnesota, but we'll remain 4 up on Cleveland provided Texas' lead over them (currently 12-9 in the top of the 8th) holds up. So there won't be too much collateral damage.

Twins don't worry me. I want the Tigers buried.

JB98
05-23-2008, 10:35 PM

This, I agree with. Detroit has the potential for an extended hot streak. Minnesota does not.

The Dude

Well at least my fantasy team gets a CG. :bandance:

Rough time for the hitters today. Swish and Thome really look lost these days. Good to see PK get a day off because I don't think I can stand seeing all these guys swing and miss.

gogosox16
YES!!!! Get them and the Indians buried while their struggling

whitesox4eva
I remember him with the Tigers a couple years back.

Hey, you were on Gameday Chat.

yes i was JohKnip in the gameday chat shut my computer a few times

veeter
This team is really streaky like that, you see a game like tonight where the offense again doesn't show up, ends on 2 terrible ABs by 2 of our supposedly better hitters. So far this team has shown it will either bounce back strong from a game like this, or really go ice cold for the next week, there has been no middle.We just plain and simple, ran into a stud on the mound tonite. Tip your cap.

Viva Medias B's
05-23-2008, 10:36 PM

If the Kitties keep doing what they're doing, getting buried is exactly what will happen to them.

turners56
This team is really streaky like that, you see a game like tonight where the offense again doesn't show up, ends on 2 terrible ABs by 2 of our supposedly better hitters. So far this team has shown it will either bounce back strong from a game like this, or really go ice cold for the next week, there has been no middle.

I'm still fairly confident about this team. The entire division is playing bad. I don't think Thome is going to slump like this all year long. He's shown flashes of his old self, hitting the opposite field. It's only one loss, I'm not too worked up about it. We still have a chance to win this series with both Danks and Contreras going, two of our hottest pitchers. The Angels aren't great at hitting themselves. We'll face Weaver a second time tomorrow, hopefully, we can hit a bit more this time around.

KnightSox
I really hate Francisco Rodriguez, but we had our chances.

Viva Medias B's
We just plain and simple, ran into a stud on the mound tonite. Tip your cap.

And we had a chance to jump on him in the first inning but failed. It proved to be a fatal miscue.

Soxman219
05-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Man, everytime the Sox get an 8-game losing steak, they lose the next night. I wanted Thome to get a hit in the 9th to get him back into things, but didn't get it. At least were still in first. Start a brand new winning streak tomorrow.

turners56
05-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Man, everytime the Sox get an 8-game losing steak, they lose the next night. I wanted Thome to get a hit in the 9th to get him back into things, but didn't get it. At least were still in first. Start a brand new winning streak tomorrow.

That's what happened in 05 :D:. We never won 9 straight.

SoxandtheCityTee
At least the Sox did not go down quietly. Not all of them, anyway.

We'll get 'em tomorrow -- and I'll be there.

sox1970
I'm surprised Scioscia doesn't tell K-Rod to stop acting like an *******.

Viva Medias B's
05-23-2008, 10:39 PM
That's what happened in 05 :D:. We never won 9 straight.

And, of course, the only reason we didn't win the 9th game during the last 8-game winning streak in 2005 was, well, there wasn't a 9th game!

1908<2005
05-23-2008, 10:39 PM
You can't blame the umps everytime we lose. This is on the offense. Gavin pitched well enough to win but we couldn't get the bats going. Just have to go out and get them tomorrow.

DickAllen72
05-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Jim is nearing the end.
Ozzie/KW had better get someone else to DH before Thome gets enough PAs for his 2009 option to kick in.

I'd trade Thome for Ross Gload in a heartbeat but KC would never make that trade.

Cuck the Fubs
05-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Not terrible.........nice 8 game streak.

Not a chance to win every single game from here on out, however, I would like to see us win every series from here on out, which we can still do by winning the next 2.

Go get em guys:cool:

JB98
05-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Ozzie/KW had better get someone else to DH before Thome gets enough PAs for his 2009 option to kick in.

I'd trade Thome for Ross Gload in a heartbeat but KC would never make that trade.

Only because of money.

The great Gload: .243, 0 HRs, 9 RBIs.

soxfanatlanta
05-23-2008, 10:45 PM
We just plain and simple, ran into a stud on the mound tonite. Tip your cap.

Truth.

All good things must come to an end. Good recovery by GF after he crapped the bed in the 5th.

sox1970
05-23-2008, 10:46 PM

No one will trade for Thome. If he leaves the Sox during this season, it's by release.

Soxman219
05-23-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm surprised Scioscia doesn't tell K-Rod to stop acting like an *******.

Agreed, I hate K-Rod. I hate how he acts everytime he gets a save, that's the other reason why I wanted Thome to hit a walk-off HR on him. Let's hope that was the last time we see him this series.

DickAllen72
05-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Rodriguez threw nasty pitches to Thome, which will be lost upon all those who hate Jim so much.
True Thome saw some nasty pitches, but he gets paid BIG money to hit in the clutch. In fact as a highly paid DH, that's all he gets paid to do. Thome has been one of the worst clutch hitters in the game this season and wasn't so hot at it last year either.

For the record, I don't hate Thome. He seems like a great guy. But he is not a good hitter in the clutch and that's an undisputable fact.

DickAllen72
05-23-2008, 10:49 PM
Only because of money.

The great Gload: .243, 0 HRs, 9 RBIs.
Gload's not great, but he makes much less (salary), makes better contact than Thome, is younger and can also run fairly well and play in the field. I'd much rather see Gload come up in a situation like the ninth inning tonight than Thome.

delben91

Wasn't it just yesterday you said you were going to lay off Thome? Glad to see that lasted about 22 hours...:scratch:

JB98
True Thome saw some nasty pitches, but he gets paid BIG money to hit in the clutch. In fact as a highly paid DH, that's all he gets paid to do. Thome has been one of the worst clutch hitters in the game this season and wasn't so hot at it last year either.

For the record, I don't hate Thome. He seems like a great guy. But he is not a good hitter in the clutch and that's an undisputable fact.

He hasn't been good this year. But he got K-Rod just last week. Tonight K-Rod got him. That's how it goes.

We're not going to find another DH, so we better hope that Jim starts swinging the bat well again. I thought he might get going after the two opposite field HRs against the Indians, but tonight was a struggle.

sox1970
05-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Wasn't it just yesterday you said you were going to lay off Thome? Glad to see that lasted about 22 hours...:scratch:

I said probably. :D:

JB98
05-23-2008, 10:51 PM
Gload's not great, but he makes much less (salary), makes better contact than Thome, is younger and can also run fairly well and play in the field. I'd much rather see Gload come up in a situation like the ninth inning tonight than Thome.

I don't really know how to respond to that last sentence. I just completely disagree. Disagree 100 percent, and that's all there is to it.

Ross Gload is in my cannon of players that are overrated by Sox fans.

sox1970
05-23-2008, 10:52 PM
He hasn't been good this year. But he got K-Rod just last week. Tonight K-Rod got him. That's how it goes.

We're not going to find another DH, so we better hope that Jim starts swinging the bat well again. I thought he might get going after the two opposite field HRs against the Indians, but tonight was a struggle.

Konerko can't DH? Dye can't DH?

They don't need to go out and get another power hitter. They need speed.

LoveYourSuit
05-23-2008, 10:53 PM
for as much as I want to join punching the bag now know as Jim Thome, two other big names in that line up are equally as bad if not worse (Konerko and Swisher). Konerko already took a seat for perhaps a few games here, but bodies are still needed in there to fill the line up. I don't see that many better options down in the minors.

So this is what we have and need to live by, unfotrunately.

DickAllen72
05-23-2008, 10:54 PM
We're not going to find another DH, so we better hope that Jim starts swinging the bat well again.
Oh I agree--I hope Jim hits like he did during the first couple of months of the 2006 season. But I'm not holding my breath.

JB98
05-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Konerko can't DH? Dye can't DH?

They don't need to go out and get another power hitter. They need speed.

That's it. I'm done arguing about Thome.

I still believe that he'll be a productive hitter for the 2008 Sox. You don't. That's fine. This is a tired argument. Next.

sox1970
05-23-2008, 10:58 PM
That's it. I'm done arguing about Thome.

I still believe that he'll be a productive hitter for the 2008 Sox. You don't. That's fine. This is a tired argument. Next.

Time will tell. I'm sure they'll give Thome every opportunity to come out of it.

If it's the All-Star break and he's still at .220 with 15 homers and 40 RBI's, he's probably gone. That's all. I want him to come out of it for everyone's sake. I just don't know if he's done. We'll see. I'm just saying if he's gone, he can be replaced with speed and not power.

Cuck the Fubs
05-23-2008, 11:02 PM
for as much as I want to join punching the bag now know as Jim Thome, two other big names in that line up are equally as bad if not worse (Konerko and Swisher). Konerko already took a seat for perhaps a few games here, but bodies are still needed in there to fill the line up. I don't see that many better options down in the minors.

So this is what we have and need to live by, unfotrunately.

I agree 100% with this.........I do think Paulie will turn it around though.

The guy I am really worried about the most is Swisher.....seems as if he always gets behind in the count, and the balls he's hitting on the screws are right at people. Usually that ends after a while, how it's carried on this long is a bit troubling to me anyhow.

LuzinskiRoofShot
05-23-2008, 11:06 PM
Why is everyone so worried? We have Dewayne Wise now... its all good.

sox1970
05-23-2008, 11:15 PM
:indianslose

SOXSINCE'70
05-23-2008, 11:18 PM
I hate K-Rod. I hate how he acts everytime he gets a save

And what the hell's with his celebration on the pitching mound??
I don't mind mobbing your teammates,pumping your fist or high fives all around,but he looks like the
Incredible Hulk out there flexing his arms and all that jazz.At least he looks like that in my eyes.:angry::angry:

LoveYourSuit
05-23-2008, 11:19 PM
I agree 100% with this.........I do think Paulie will turn it around though.

The guy I am really worried about the most is Swisher.....seems as if he always gets behind in the count, and the balls he's hitting on the screws are right at people. Usually that ends after a while, how it's carried on this long is a bit troubling to me anyhow.

Because of the the break out of Quentin, Floyd, Danks and the other solid moves in the pen, Kenny has saved himself from catching a ton of heat for how bad the Swisher deal looks right now. None of the guys he gave appear to be world beaters right now but they sure would be nice assets to still have for a trade here and there in July. Actually Sweeney is putting up much better numbers than Swisher as we speak.

And yes people need to be worried about Swisher because it is now a 2 month slump and signs of major decline in power. I hope Billy Beane did not trade us a lemon here.

LoveYourSuit
05-23-2008, 11:22 PM
And what the hell's with his on the mound celebration??
I don't mind mobbing your teammates,pumping your fist or high fives all around,but he looks like the
Incredible Hulk out there flexing his arms and all that jazz.At least he looks like that in my eyes.:angry::angry:

Well, best way to keep him from acting like monkey out there is to beat him down with the sticks and have him walk off the mound with his head up you know where.

Sad thing is that he made Thome and Crede look like children up there today. His fastball is no longer 94-95. You can sit curve on him and just fight off the heat.

Viva Medias B's
05-23-2008, 11:24 PM
:indianslose

This is good. IMO, the AL Central race is between us and them. Don't worry about Minnesota. Don't worry about Detroit. Don't worry about Kansas City.

Sockinchisox
05-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Oh well, get em tomorrow.

sox1970
05-23-2008, 11:26 PM
This is good. IMO, the AL Central race is between us and them. Don't worry about Minnesota. Don't worry about Detroit. Don't worry about Kansas City.

Detroit will be a factor this year. I guarantee it.

Viva Medias B's
05-23-2008, 11:27 PM

They could be, but I expected to rebound from their 0-8 start faster than they have. In fact, now that I think of it, they have yet to really rebound from that 0-8 start.

Cuck the Fubs
05-23-2008, 11:28 PM
And yes people need to be worried about Swisher because it is now a 2 month slump and signs of major decline in power. I hope Billy Beane did not trade us a lemon here.

Better not have!!!! I purchased an authentic road Swisher jersey at the beginning of the season :angry::angry::angry:

sox1970
05-23-2008, 11:29 PM
They could be, but I expected to rebound from their 0-8 start faster than they have. In fact, now that I think of it, they have yet to really rebound from that 0-8 start.

I hope the Sox just run away with the division, but I think Detroit will be in the hunt for the wildcard. Their second half is pretty light compared to their first half schedule.

Lip Man 1
05-23-2008, 11:29 PM
The lack of any consistent offense is putting a lot of pressure on the pitching staff because they don't have a lot of room for error.

So far they've responded but can they keep it up for another four months? We'll see.

In six of the last nine games, even with the win streak, the Sox scored four runs or less...that tells me the pitching staff was the one primarily responsible for the win streak.

These guys have GOT to start hitting soon...don't they?

Lip

Tragg
05-23-2008, 11:30 PM
I think Minny and Cleveland will be factors; Detroit and KC won't be -although either could do some spoiling.
Detroit is tracking us, 1 year behind.....last year was their Sox of 2006 and this year is their 2007. they need to retool

Cuck the Fubs
05-23-2008, 11:32 PM
These guys have GOT to start hitting soon...don't they?

Lip

:praying:

sox1970
05-23-2008, 11:32 PM
I think Minny and Cleveland will be factors; Detroit and KC won't be -although either could do some spoiling.
Detroit is tracking us, 1 year behind.....last year was their Sox of 2006 and this year is their 2007. they need to retool

I'm afraid they could pull a Yankees type second half, where they just beat everyone into submission with their offense, and their starting pitching is still pretty good even if they've had bad starts to the season.

kittle42
05-23-2008, 11:35 PM

I think Detroit's going to end up being a factor. People said the same thing about the Yankees last year.

Viva Medias B's
05-23-2008, 11:43 PM
I hope the Sox just run away with the division, but I think Detroit will be in the hunt for the wildcard. Their second half is pretty light compared to their first half schedule.

It would take the Indians to imitate the 2007 Chicago White Sox for that to happen.

Viva Medias B's
05-23-2008, 11:45 PM
I think Detroit's going to end up being a factor. People said the same thing about the Yankees last year.

The Tigers are not the Yankees, and I do not expect the 2008 Yankees to do what the 2007 Yankees did.

sox1970
05-23-2008, 11:45 PM
It would take the Indians to imitate the 2007 Chicago White Sox for that to happen.

Seems possible to me. They looked like absolute **** this week, and their bullpen is garbage. Kinda like the 07 White Sox.

Lip Man 1
05-23-2008, 11:46 PM
When you look at basically the first two months there have been four players that have really hurt the club because of their offensive inconsistencies. Uribe, Swisher, Thome and Konerko.

Uribe is no surprise and I think ultimately Ramirez and Ozuna can more then replace him, but how do you replace Thome and Konerko? You give them the benefit of the doubt from last year, anyone can have a bad year, but two in a row? at their ages?? You have to start to wonder if they are losing it.

The biggest disappointment to me though has been Swisher. I didn't expect him to hit 30 home runs like some folks but I thought he'd be good for 20 home runs, 75 RBI's and a .270 average. He's not even close to any of those at his current pace.

I wonder if Ozzie opening the season asking him to lead off put pressure on him to produce. When he started slowly, he started to press and now he's in a real hole. He might never catch up this season...it could happen.

Like I said these guys have got to start hitting because sooner or later the pitching staff may crack. It's unrealistic to expect them in the American League no less, to keep throwing the way the have been. They need some help from the bats.

Lip

GlassSox
05-23-2008, 11:54 PM
When you look at basically the first two months there have been four players that have really hurt the club because of their offensive inconsistencies. Uribe, Swisher, Thome and Konerko.

Uribe is no surprise and I think ultimately Ramirez and Ozuna can more then replace him, but how do you replace Thome and Konerko? You give them the benefit of the doubt from last year, anyone can have a bad year, but two in a row? at their ages?? You have to start to wonder if they are losing it.

The biggest disappointment to me though has been Swisher. I didn't expect him to hit 30 home runs like some folks but I thought he'd be good for 20 home runs, 75 RBI's and a .270 average. He's not even close to any of those at his current pace.

I wonder if Ozzie opening the season asking him to lead off put pressure on him to produce. When he started slowly, he started to press and now he's in a real hole. He might never catch up this season...it could happen.

Like I said these guys have got to start hitting because sooner or later the pitching staff may crack. It's unrealistic to expect them in the American League no less, to keep throwing the way the have been. They need some help from the bats.

Lip

Amen, I agree with you. There is zero confidence that those guys will come through when needed. Thome's performance tonight is a typical example.

Viva Medias B's
05-23-2008, 11:56 PM
Amen, I agree with you. There is zero confidence that those guys will come through when needed. Thome's performance tonight is a typical example.

I hope KW recognized this as well and will, hence, do something about it.

Meanwhile, if someone said to me in March that we'd be in first place by 2 games on Memorial Day weekend, I probably would not have believed them.

hi im skot
05-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Nice to see a little bit of a rally at the end. Even up the series tomorrow and it's all good.

gobears1987
05-24-2008, 12:02 AM
Unable to win 9 in a row, where hae I seen this before?:scratch:

drewcifer
05-24-2008, 12:07 AM

Lip

Add O-Cab to that list too.

And I agree with 'ya too, Lip.

Brian26
05-24-2008, 12:10 AM

:hawk
"Let me tell ya something Drewcifer, this little man, Orlando Cabrera, might not have the highest batting average on the team, but what he brings to this team in the clubhouse....there are some guys who look to Orlando for leadership, and he brings it to them, and that's worth its weight in gold."

GlassSox
05-24-2008, 12:13 AM

Meanwhile, if someone said to me in March that we'd be in first place by 2 games on Memorial Day weekend, I probably would not have believed them.

Agreed, I didn't picture 1st place either.

Noneck
05-24-2008, 12:15 AM

Its extremely tough to do something about your opening day 1,2,3,4 hitters going south. At least 2 of them have to come around.

Rocky Soprano
05-24-2008, 12:19 AM
Unable to win 9 in a row, where hae I seen this before?:scratch:

The season is over! :whiner:

Viva Medias B's
05-24-2008, 12:19 AM
Its extremely tough to do something about your opening day 1,2,3,4 hitters going south. At least 2 of them have to come around.

Yet, we somehow find ourselves in first place on Memorial Day weekend. Oh, yes, this trend cannot continue if we want to be in first place after Game No. 162 is played, but let's hopefully believe that hitters 1-4 will carry us there.

Viva Medias B's
05-24-2008, 12:21 AM
The season is over! :whiner:

Well, the last time we failed to win 9 in a row occurred because there proved not to be a 9th game to play, and the season did end. And I think it was the greatest night in our sports lives.

itsnotrequired
05-24-2008, 12:22 AM
Yet, we somehow find ourselves in first place on Memorial Day weekend. Oh, yes, this trend cannot continue if we want to be in first place after Game No. 162 is played, but let's hopefully believe that hitters 1-4 will carry us there.

You don't have to be first, only good enough to get in.

hi im skot
05-24-2008, 12:25 AM
You don't have to be first, only good enough to get in.

I looooove it when you analyze.

Rocky Soprano
05-24-2008, 12:28 AM
Well, the last time we failed to win 9 in a row occurred because there proved not to be a 9th game to play, and the season did end. And I think it was the greatest night in our sports lives.

I really doubt gobears is referring to that instance. :D:

ondafarm
05-24-2008, 12:32 AM

Lip

Lip,
I never liked Swisher doing both CF and lead-off. They are both high pressure positions. Especially for a guy like Swisher who is all about learning baseball from early on and being a smart (as opposed to incredibly physically gifted) player. Not that Swish wouldn't blow me (or you) away, just that he has had to study and scrap at this game to get where he is.

If PK's hand is hurting him (and it looks to me like it is aching) and he sits a few days or even DLs it, then I think Swisher might turn things around, regular play. Low in the order at a less than stressful position defensively and offensively. Really, he just now has to play to break from his slump and that is what he'll get a chance to do.

Your scenario could happen, but I watched Swish in the Bay Area a lot. I don't think so.

Lip Man 1
05-24-2008, 12:36 AM
Onda;

I hope you are right about Steve. He seems like a guy who loves to play the game but that passion could work against him if he's the type to really start to put pressure on himself.

We'll see.

I hope he can come around, he's a good player just stuck in a bad rut right now.

I think you're right, Ozzie didn't do him any favors. New team, new situation plus leadoff and center field.

Lip

drewcifer
05-24-2008, 12:44 AM
"Let me tell ya something Drewcifer, this little man, Orlando Cabrera, might not have the highest batting average on the team, but what he brings to this team in the clubhouse....there are some guys who look to Orlando for leadership, and he brings it to them, and that's worth its weight in gold."

I love that ole' Homer, but he's a terrible top of the order hitter and The Hawk is still completely full of wonderfully stinky South-side loving ****.

O-Cab has 1, official, recorded error. (http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?c_id=mlb&baseballScope=AL&subScope=pos&teamPosCode=6&statType=3&timeSubFrame=2008&sitSplit=&venueID=&Submit=Submit&timeFrame=1) (What???) And you can't fake a BA or OBP.

I miss JO.

JB98
05-24-2008, 12:46 AM
I love that ole' Homer, but he's a terrible top of the order hitter and The Hawk is still completely full of wonderfully stinky South-side loving ****.

O-Cab has 1, official, recorded error. (http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?c_id=mlb&baseballScope=AL&subScope=pos&teamPosCode=6&statType=3&timeSubFrame=2008&sitSplit=&venueID=&Submit=Submit&timeFrame=1) (What???) And you can't fake a BA or OBP.

I miss JO.

You wouldn't miss JO if I told you what he's hitting in Charlotte.

RadioheadRocks
05-24-2008, 12:49 AM
Agreed, I hate K-Rod. I hate how he acts everytime he gets a save, that's the other reason why I wanted Thome to hit a walk-off HR on him. Let's hope that was the last time we see him this series.

Just do what I do, pop in your DVD of Game 5 of the ALCS and freeze-frame it on the closeup of him in the dugout after Casey Kotchman grounds to Paulie for the final out. :D:

Pear-Zin-Ski
05-24-2008, 12:52 AM
I must be bad luck for the good guys...2 losses in two attended games...not to mention crappy weather...but it was all good because my girlfriend bought these tickets for me for my birthday....

As far as the game goes...GREAT preformance by Gavin...he's young and he's going to make some bedwetting mistakes (even though hitting TWO batters when the bases are loaded is pretty impressive....) but overall he pitched great...got strikeouts and groudballs when he needed...it would be nice to see him walk a few less though....

Offensively...what? O-Cab actually hitting the ball? It seems like every game I've watched he's done nothing...Thome and Crede going 0-8 I believe...no good....

Frustrating to watch a slightly tarnished gem by Gavin go down as a loss...but I guess that's baseball....

drewcifer
05-24-2008, 12:53 AM
You wouldn't miss JO if I told you what he's hitting in Charlotte.

Yeah... Last year's JO would be an improvement, though.

thomas35forever
05-24-2008, 12:59 AM
Has K-Rod partied himself out yet?

drewcifer
05-24-2008, 01:00 AM
I must be bad luck for the good guys...2 losses in two attended games...not to mention crappy weather...but it was all good because my girlfriend bought these tickets for me for my birthday....

As far as the game goes...GREAT preformance by Gavin...he's young and he's going to make some bedwetting mistakes (even though hitting TWO batters when the bases are loaded is pretty impressive....) but overall he pitched great...got strikeouts and groudballs when he needed...it would be nice to see him walk a few less though....

Offensively...what? O-Cab actually hitting the ball? It seems like every game I've watched he's done nothing...Thome and Crede going 0-8 I believe...no good....

Frustrating to watch a slightly tarnished gem by Gavin go down as a loss...but I guess that's baseball....

I'm really liking Gavin too. **** his damn pants over Torii which was all on him giving up all the BBs and the 2 xtra runs.

But he stayed in it and showed his team ownership of his own mistakes.

They failed to pick him up.

TDog
05-24-2008, 01:14 AM

Imagine how bad it would be if you were watching a young Josh Fields, who is striking out at a higher rate in AAA than Jim Thome is in the majors. That would be even worse because if Fields ever returns to the majors, he would have so many more strike outs ahead of him than Jim Thome does in his future. Then there are Nick Swisher's strikeouts, and the list goes on.

At least there doesn't seem reason to complain about the lead-off hitter tonight.

It looks like what lost the game tonight was Floyd hitting two batters with the bases loaded and two outs. Holding the Angels to one run tonight shouldn't have been asking for so much considering that two of the Angels' three runs apparently were gifts.

scarsofthumper
05-24-2008, 01:28 AM
I was there too, it was a great game to be at live. I was hoping we'd pull it out, but hey we had some good defensive plays and Floyd was awesome aside from the 5th.

Interesting side note: This is the 177th Sox game i've attended (My dad counted for me and I kept it going), and this is the FIRST game i've attended where they have worn the black jerseys.

Foulke You
05-24-2008, 02:40 AM
I think you're right, Ozzie didn't do him any favors. New team, new situation plus leadoff and center field.

Lip
All good points Lip. I tend to think Swish is pressing too much. His 2 strike swings have been too big and it seems like he is up there trying to hit the 5 run homer in every AB. I think he just needs time to settle in. There is a lot of pressure on guy coming into a new situation. It took Jermaine Dye about 2 full months to finally get settled in when he first came to the Sox from Oakland back in '05. If memory serves, JD hit about .220 and had everyone wondering who we replaced Magglio with. All you have to do is look at Nick Swisher's baseball card to know that he'll start to produce at some point this year.

Dan Mega
05-24-2008, 09:04 AM

Eh, he gets pumped for winning, doesn't bug me too much. Its not like he's thumping his chest 16 times then pointing to the sky and screaming "we must protect this house!"

champagne030
05-24-2008, 09:09 AM
All good points Lip. I tend to think Swish is pressing too much. His 2 strike swings have been too big and it seems like he is up there trying to hit the 5 run homer in every AB. I think he just needs time to settle in. There is a lot of pressure on guy coming into a new situation. It took Jermaine Dye about 2 full months to finally get settled in when he first came to the Sox from Oakland back in '05. If memory serves, JD hit about .220 and had everyone wondering who we replaced Magglio with. All you have to do is look at Nick Swisher's baseball card to know that he'll start to produce at some point this year.

Did he swing at a first pitch last night? I noticed, before yesterday, that he had not swung at a first pitch in at least his last nine games. And it seems that pitchers know this because he's routinely getting "get me over" fastballs and falling behind 0-1. Taking pitches is nice, but he needs to get aggressive because he looks like absolute ass at the plate right now.

SOXSINCE'70
05-24-2008, 09:16 AM
Just do what I do, pop in your DVD of Game 5 of the ALCS and freeze-frame it on the closeup of him in the dugout after Casey Kotchman grounds to Paulie for the final out. :D:

Ahhhhh, that's much better. I just wanted to hear John Rooney
say "There's a ground ball to first,Konerko has it, steps on the bag....
the White Sox win the pennant!!The White Sox win the pennant!!":cool:

KyWhiSoxFan
05-24-2008, 09:30 AM
I think Konerko needs to go on the DL for a couple of weeks. If his hand is hurting him this much and that is the cause of his hitting woes, it makes no sense to try to nurse it through the entire season like this. He needs to be shut down. It is better to lose him for two weeks than to keep struggling like this all year.

downstairs
05-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Honestly, when was the last time this team won 9 games in a row? They seem to have a 9th win curse.

Well, here's to more patented 8-game winning streaks this year! :gulp:

SoxGirl4Life
05-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Honestly, when was the last time this team won 9 games in a row? They seem to have a 9th win curse.

Well, here's to more patented 8-game winning streaks this year! :gulp:

I'll take another 8-gamer starting tonight!

Bucky F. Dent
05-24-2008, 10:04 AM
In my estimation, they got into Gavin in the top of the fifth better than we got into K-Rod in the bottom of the ninth.

Beyond that, it was an even game. This series is still there for us to win.

C'mon Danks!

Bucky F. Dent
05-24-2008, 10:08 AM

And I agree with 'ya too, Lip.

O.C. is starting to come on in all aspects of his game.

Sox35th
05-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Jim Thome = Rally Killer!!

skobabe8
05-24-2008, 01:14 PM
We Sat In The Scout Seats!!!