PDA

View Full Version : Dewayne Wise Called Up

sox1970
05-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Juan Uribe on the DL

Scottiehaswheels
05-23-2008, 04:01 PM
How is this guy recalled if he's never actually gotten "the call"?

South Side Irish
05-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Juan Uribe on the DL

Any link? Is this retroactive for the last few days?

gogosox16
05-23-2008, 04:02 PM
wow. I'm surprised that they didn't call up Getz if Uribe is on the DL

doublem23
05-23-2008, 04:03 PM

Not going to do Chris any good riding the pine in Chicago for 2 weeks. I'm pretty sure Alexei has the starting 2B to lose now.

Wise has played well in Charlotte, but he's on the wrong side of 30; not much of a future in the Majors.

http://minors.baseball-reference.com/players.cgi?pid=15778

whitesoxfan
05-23-2008, 04:03 PM

I'm not. Alexi has played well in the opportunity that he's been given and Ozzie feels comfortable with Pablo as the backup at 2B.

sox1970
05-23-2008, 04:04 PM
How is this guy recalled if he's never actually gotten "the call"?

Actually you're right that I got it wrong, because Wise wasn't on the 40-man.

But Egbert could have been called up, and he would be recalled because he was on the 40-man. :shrug:

gogosox16
05-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Not going to do Chris any good riding the pine in Chicago for 2 weeks. I'm pretty sure Alexei has the starting 2B to lose now.
Well thats true but I would like to see him play some up here and spell Alexei with a day off soon cause he's been playing like 5 games in a row and Could Getz play short and possibly give OC a day off?

DumpJerry
05-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Me too. Doesn't Kenny know he's supposed to follow our directions, I mean wishes?

gogosox16
05-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Me too. Doesn't Kenny know he's supposed to follow our directions, I mean wishes?
That would be nice :smile:

gogosox16
05-23-2008, 04:09 PM
I'm kind of disappointed that Jason Bourgeois is struggling in triple A after a good spring.

doublem23

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p291/andreszurita/hypnotize.gif

Kenny, call up Chris Getz. Call up Chris Getz. Make Reinsdorf lower ticket prices. Call up Chris Getz.

balke
Old or not those are good #'s. I'm surprised Owens didn't get a call though if they were going to bring up an OF. Less controversy this way though i guess. And again, it keeps Owens from riding pine I guess.

gogosox16
05-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Old or not those are good #'s. I'm surprised Owens didn't get a call though if they were going to bring up an OF. Less controversy this way though i guess. And again, it keeps Owens from riding pine I guess.
Owens is struggling right now. Him and Josh Fields need to step up their play

Daver
05-23-2008, 04:11 PM

It could just be because Jerry Owens isn't very good at playing baseball.

voodoochile
This is an odd move. Pablo is the only guy on the team to backup 3B, SS and 2B now. How soon until Richar gets to rehabbing and how many more games will Uribe miss?

Scottiehaswheels
Actually you're right that I got it wrong, because Wise wasn't on the 40-man.

But Egbert could have been called up, and he would be recalled because he was on the 40-man. :shrug:Eh no biggie.. It's just something I've always wondered when I've heard it mentioned. For rookies, they always say either called up or recalled from AAA, AA, etc. I just don't understand it being recalled if the guy has never been up to the majors before.

thomas35forever
05-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Anyone know the date the transaction is retroactive to?

ondafarm
05-23-2008, 04:13 PM
I have this odd urging to call up Chris Getz. Does anyone know is phone number?

I need to talk to Jerry about lowering ticket prices as well.

sox1970
05-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Anyone know the date the transaction is retroactive to?

May 15 was the last date he played.

KRS1
05-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Makes sense. It would just take a guy like Getz out of his groove since he would certainly be riding the pine. With Wise, Ozzie doesn't have to worry about getting him a fair shot, and he can just sit at the end of the bench with a team that is hot. Not too much to analyze with this move.

Plus it gives Ozzie another guy to take at bats away from BA. :redneck

Stoky44
05-23-2008, 04:19 PM
This is an odd move. Pablo is the only guy on the team to backup 3B, SS and 2B now.

Exactly what I was thinking. We have only 1 guy that can play the infield on the bench. I think that could restrict some pinch runner/hitter moves oz would want to make.

gogosox16
05-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. We have only 1 guy that can play the infield on the bench. I think that could restrict some pinch runner/hitter moves oz would want to make.
Hey I rememeber JD played the infield in Oakland a few years back (Well I believe he did) so were set. :cool:

KRS1
05-23-2008, 04:27 PM

If OC requires his rare rest, we would just move Lexi over to SS and plug in Pablo at 2b, so all he has to do is cover 2b and 3b.

Andy T Clown
05-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Uribe on 15 day DL

everafan
05-23-2008, 04:36 PM
I know it's a long shot, but Ramirez has adjusted well with steady at bats. I would love to see him win the 2B job and become our leadoff guy,

whitesoxfan
05-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Finally some news regarding Richar.

On the latest ESPN 1000 update, it was mentioned that Richar was sent to Charlotte to begin a rehab assignment as well as the news about Uribe and Wise.

sox1970
05-23-2008, 04:52 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080523&content_id=2754232&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

DumpJerry
05-23-2008, 04:57 PM
It could just be because Jerry Owens isn't very good at playing baseball.
He's not exactly lighting it up in Charlotte this year:

BA= .229; OBP=.302; SLG=.285; 28 k's/15 BB's (144 ABs); 4GIDP; 5 doubles, one home run, no triples, 9 RBI's.

Tragg
05-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Sox had 1 backup infielder and 1 backup outfielder. Since Ozzie won't give Cabrera so much as a day off (the .275 OBP leadoff hitter has played in every game), I guess they need the backup outfielder more than a backup infielder. This also gives Ozzie an alternative to Anderson.
I thought they had Ramirez pegged for SS. Cabrera and Uribe are ridiculously over-priced, so we'll need a SS next year (and save some signficant payroll as well).

Lip Man 1
05-23-2008, 05:20 PM
Uribe was retroactive to May 16th so assuming he's OK, he's eligible to come off next week,June 1st.

The Sox can get by without him for basically a week.

Lip

sox1970
05-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Finally some news regarding Richar.

On the latest ESPN 1000 update, it was mentioned that Richar was sent to Charlotte to begin a rehab assignment as well as the news about Uribe and Wise.

Richar is batting 3rd for Charlotte. Getz is at SS.

Mohoney
05-23-2008, 05:46 PM
It makes sense to DL Juan Uribe, given how cold it has been. Rushing him back could have been detrimental.

voodoochile
05-23-2008, 05:53 PM
It makes sense to DL Juan Uribe, given how cold it has been. Rushing him back could have been detrimental.

And in two weeks it will make even more sense to just flat cut him when Richar is ready to come up. Then they can work on trading Cabrera and move Ramirez back to SS where he belongs.

btrain929
05-23-2008, 06:04 PM
I wonder if Brad Eldred was considered at all....

Either way, we now have a LH bat for the bench. Hopefully we can ride his hotness.

sox1970
05-23-2008, 06:05 PM
I wonder if Brad Eldred was considered at all....

They probably wanted a lefty stick to pinch hit for Ramirez and Anderson.

btrain929
05-23-2008, 06:06 PM

Haha yeah. I just edited my post after I went to the MILB website to confirm Wise was a lefty.

JB98
05-23-2008, 06:08 PM

I think that's correct.

And since Swisher is going to be an infielder this weekend, it doesn't hurt to have another backup outfielder around.

Konerko is definitely unavailable tonight and tomorrow, and I wouldn't be surprised if he misses the whole weekend.

Lillian
05-23-2008, 06:11 PM
I posted this the other day in another thread:

"Just a thought, but if the Sox do bring up a guy to bat leadoff, why wouldn't it be Dewayne Wise, instead of Jerry Owens?
I know that he's 30, but look at what he's doing. He has a better skill set than Owens, and he has 12 stolen bases in 17 attempts. He's leading the International League in hitting, and his OPS is 1.069.
He played all 3 Major sports in High School, so he must be a good athlete, and maybe he's just a late bloomer.
What do you think?
Has anyone ever seen him?

Now he has a 4 for 4 night. He's leading the League!!!
I think the Sox should give him a try at leadoff. Why not put Konerko on the DL until that bone bruise heals. Swisher moves to first, and Wise plays center for a while."

It only makes sense to give him a chance. He has speed, and that is what they are looking for. It's a shame that he doesn't play Second, but if they can get him in the lineup somewhere, it's worth a try.

JB98
05-23-2008, 06:15 PM
I posted this the other day in another thread:

"Just a thought, but if the Sox do bring up a guy to bat leadoff, why wouldn't it be Dewayne Wise, instead of Jerry Owens?
I know that he's 30, but look at what he's doing. He has a better skill set than Owens, and he has 12 stolen bases in 17 attempts. He's leading the International League in hitting, and his OPS is 1.069.
He played all 3 Major sports in High School, so he must be a good athlete, and maybe he's just a late bloomer.
What do you think?
Has anyone ever seen him?

Now he has a 4 for 4 night. He's leading the League!!!
I think the Sox should give him a try at leadoff. Why not put Konerko on the DL until that bone bruise heals. Swisher moves to first, and Wise plays center for a while."

It only makes sense to give him a chance. He has speed, and that is what they are looking for. It's a shame that he doesn't play Second, but if they can get him in the lineup somewhere, it's worth a try.

I don't think Wise is a better player than Anderson. I think Konerko will be back early part of next week, and in the meantime BA can hold down that spot in the lineup.

Just use Wise off the bench. His speed and left-handed bat might be able to help us in certain situations.

Tragg
05-23-2008, 06:21 PM
This guy's had a nice start in AAA. If he can hit, a bat's always nice to have. ONce in a while, guys like him will throw out a freak year.

Daver
05-23-2008, 06:23 PM
And in two weeks it will make even more sense to just flat cut him when Richar is ready to come up. Then they can work on trading Cabrera and move Ramirez back to SS where he belongs.

Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen.

Craig Grebeck
05-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Trading Cabrera would be asinine.

white sox bill
05-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Isn't this our first injury-based transaction of this yr? And hopedfully the last

Noneck
05-23-2008, 07:34 PM

You want to go the rest of the year with Richar at 2nd and Ramirez at ss?( With Ozuna as the replacement for both ss and 2nd?) Are you folding up the tent for this year already? btw: You realize that Cabrera will only get you a bag of balls or some sort of prospects ,being in his FA year?

FarWestChicago
05-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Sox had 1 backup infielder and 1 backup outfielder. Since Ozzie won't give Cabrera so much as a day off (the .275 OBP leadoff hitter has played in every game), I guess they need the backup outfielder more than a backup infielder. This also gives Ozzie an alternative to Anderson.
I thought they had Ramirez pegged for SS. Cabrera and Uribe are ridiculously over-priced, so we'll need a SS next year (and save some signficant payroll as well).Ummm, you didn't mention "slap hitter" in this post. What gives? :dunno:

delben91
05-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Ummm, you didn't mention "slap hitter" in this post. What gives? :dunno:

Or "ozzie's hackers."

Perhaps a Memorial Day respite?

TomBradley72
05-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Isn't this our first injury-based transaction of this yr? And hopedfully the last

We don't have the organizational depth to handle many injuries this year. Owens is hitting like crap, Fields is banged up and striking out at a pretty alarming rate, Eldred is a journeyman 1B....other than Getz....there's not much help available in the farm system.

tick53
05-24-2008, 05:41 PM
It was a "wise" decision on Kenny part. :D:

Thank you. I'm here all week.