PDA

View Full Version : I like the agressive baserunning lately

PatK
05-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Is it just me, or is anybody else enjoying the aggressive baserunning we've been seeing lately?

It seems different than what we've seen in the past, like it's not as recklessly aggressive than when Cora or Razor Shines were basecoaches.

We've won two games during this streak which in my opinion, you can credit how they have been running lately.

ondafarm
05-23-2008, 12:46 PM
The Sox seem to have a coach who understands how to prepare guys for being aggressive on the basepaths. Knowing the position of outfielders and knowing their relative arms. The Indians ran into trouble yesterday because their pinch-hitter had a weak arm in left field. The Sox took advantage. That comes from good preparation.

BringBackBlkJack
05-23-2008, 12:55 PM
I have noticed that as well, mostly being performed by TCQ. When Cora was at 3rd base he was a constant green light (even with Paulie -- *shudder*) and that obviously increased the aggressiveness toward home plate. This season it seems as if the aggressiveness is not only toward coming home, it is also toward taking the extra base on a throw, or runners advancing on an infield ground ball (Cabrera evidenced this the other day). Maybe some of the credit should be given to Harold at 1st, as well as Cox?

hawkjt
05-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Ozzie said last nite we are running the bases the best since he has been here. Not fast, but smart. Carlos,Cabrera and Swish have helped..plus the svelte AJ has pitched in. Add in Alexi and BA's speed...much better than last year.

KenBerryGrab
05-23-2008, 01:08 PM
The regular going first-to-third is nice.
I love it when I'm listening to a game and Farmio comes out with "a military turn at second, and he's in to third base."

lukeman89
05-23-2008, 01:34 PM
i cant count the number of times tCQ and AJ have gone from 1st to 3rd on a routine base hit.

did anyone else see how fast quentin popped up after that throw hit him at second? he like, slid into second base but never stopped! the ball hit him as he slid then started standing up and running right away. it was great.

kjhanson
05-23-2008, 01:36 PM
The Indians ran into trouble yesterday because their pinch-hitter had a weak arm in left field. The Sox took advantage. That comes from good preparation.

I don't recall who was out there, but that guy was embarrassing. Jermaine's base-hit got out to him in a hurry, he fielded it cleanly, and yet he still lobbed it in towards the cutoff man, with no chance to get Quentin.

spawn
05-23-2008, 01:44 PM
I don't recall who was out there, but that guy was embarrassing. Jermaine's base-hit got out to him in a hurry, he fielded it cleanly, and yet he still lobbed it in towards the cutoff man, with no chance to get Quentin.
Dellucci was the outfielder. He doesn't have much of an arm, and the Sox ook advantage.

Something that I was impressed with but I haven't seen mentioned here (unless I missed it) was Quentin getting into second after his hit drove in BA. Without that, Dye's hit doesn't score him, and it's a 1 run lead going into the 9th. Getting that insurance run was huge IMO, and it was due to Quentin running the bases aggressively. The guy is just an all-around great player.

PatK
05-23-2008, 02:11 PM
If they can keep running the bases like they have (as someone mentioned, aggressive yet smart), I'm not so worried that their aren't stealing a whole lot of bases.

tebman
05-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Something that I was impressed with but I haven't seen mentioned here (unless I missed it) was Quentin getting into second after his hit drove in BA. Without that, Dye's hit doesn't score him, and it's a 1 run lead going into the 9th. Getting that insurance run was huge IMO, and it was due to Quentin running the bases aggressively. The guy is just an all-around great player.

I'm reluctant to jump on bandwagons, but y'gotta love Quentin's style. I luuuv aggressive baserunning and Quentin is showing them how it's done. Hell, even Thome and Konerko have stolen bases! :tongue:

I agree too about winning ballgames on the bases. Any team will hit a lot more singles than homers, and they've got to take the extra base every chance they get.

BRDSR
05-23-2008, 02:17 PM
The regular going first-to-third is nice.
I love it when I'm listening to a game and Farmio comes out with "a military turn at second, and he's in to third base."

I hate that phrase, because it's not at all accurate. A military turn connotes a 90 degree turn on a dime...the best a grown man can do on the basepaths is run straight to second at full speed until about 20 feet in front of the bag and then curve a little bit outward in order to round the bag without slowing down.

Farmer teaches bad baseball.

oeo
05-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Finally, Ozzie and Co. held their word that things would change. They stressed the good jumps during Spring Training, and it's paying off now.

The bunting...that still needs serious work.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-23-2008, 02:30 PM

I find it weird that he broadcasts games for the White Sox yet he opts to wear no Sox. :kukoo:

voodoochile
05-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Dellucci was the outfielder. He doesn't have much of an arm, and the Sox ook advantage.

That was completely unexpected. When they showed TCQ on second I was shocked. Nice to see that stuff. That led to the pretty much decisive run.

The decision making by Cox has been outstanding. There have been times with 2-outs where you just expect to see the man on second sent home on a single regardless of their speed, but Cox really evaluates and makes the call based on the readiness of the OF to field and throw the ball in addition to the speed of the runner in question. It feels like those cost us runs when the bats don't come through, but when they do (and they have been more recently) it really plays in our favor.

So yeah, I am very happy with the improved baserunning this year.

voodoochile
05-23-2008, 02:37 PM
I hate that phrase, because it's not at all accurate. A military turn connotes a 90 degree turn on a dime...the best a grown man can do on the basepaths is run straight to second at full speed until about 20 feet in front of the bag and then curve a little bit outward in order to round the bag without slowing down.

It's an expression to signify it was tight turn. You are right, but there are different degrees of turn radius and the closer you get to that straight edge 90 degree military turn without slowing down, the faster you will get to third.

When someone says, "I've seen that play a million times" do you take that at face value also?

thedudeabides
05-23-2008, 02:39 PM
That was completely unexpected. When they showed TCQ on second I was shocked. Nice to see that stuff. That led to the pretty much decisive run.

The decision making by Cox has been outstanding. There have been times with 2-outs where you just expect to see the man on second sent home on a single regardless of their speed, but Cox really evaluates and makes the call based on the readiness of the OF to field and throw the ball in addition to the speed of the runner in question. It feels like those cost us runs when the bats don't come through, but when they do (and they have been more recently) it really plays in our favor.

So yeah, I am very happy with the improved baserunning this year.

They were discussing this on the post game last night. Cox has been having daily meetings to address the opposing teams outfielders and who they should run on. It was evident last night they weren't going to hesitate to run on Delucci once he entered the game. It's nice to see this kind of preparation.

ondafarm
05-23-2008, 02:42 PM
When someone says, "I've seen that play a million times" do you take that at face value also?

"Hit that ball a country mile."
"Heater."
"Out cold."

Lip Man 1
05-23-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm always appreciative of putting pressure on the opposition FORCING them to make the play. As far as I'm concerned they can keep aggressively running.

They'll score more runs then get thrown out in my opinion so that's a plus for the team.

Lip

Madscout
05-23-2008, 05:37 PM
I just love how I see guys feeding off each other on baserunning. I think it was game two of this past series vs. the toons that we saw TCQ take third on a lazy throw from Grady and JD took the cue and hustled into second while the throw was coming to 3rd. Really pumped me up, and I'm sure it pumped the team up.

Tragg
05-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Carlos took second on a throw from the outfield that was cut -off - and there wasn't even a play on him. That's tremendous.

What about Alexi - how does he run the bases? Can he steal?

mwc44
05-23-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm giving a high percentage of the credit to Jeff Cox...
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080127&content_id=2356929&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

ondafarm
05-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Carlos took second on a throw from the outfield that was cut -off - and there wasn't even a play on him. That's tremendous.

What about Alexi - how does he run the bases? Can he steal?

I think Alexei needs to spend a little more time learning the pitchers and catchers in this league before he does much in the way of attempting steals.