PDA

View Full Version : Angel Stadium of Anaheim, Orange Co., California, USA gets 2010 ASG

I want Mags back
05-23-2008, 12:07 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3409221

thomas35forever
05-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Hasn't been there since '67? It was due.

doublem23
05-23-2008, 12:35 PM

I guess, I thought that MLB was trying to get the All-Star Game to all the new parks, meaning they still need to go to Chase Field, Great American Ballpark, Citizen's Bank, PetCo, and Nationals Park. Plus, the game's never been in Tampa or Miami, but I bet they wait until they get new ballparks, not to mention the new Twins Park.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-23-2008, 12:39 PM

Not true, Angels Stadium hosted the '89 All-Star game. On the other hand the Dodgers have only hosted the game once in 1980. If anyone is due it's them.

Hitmen77
05-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Not true, Angels Stadium hosted the '89 All-Star game. On the other hand the Dodgers have only hosted the game once in 1980. If anyone is due it's them.

Yep, I believe the highlight of that game was a HR by Bo Jackson (then of the Royals).

I think the only AL teams that have gone longer without hosting are awaiting new stadiums or renovations (Twins, A's, Royals, Rays). Reports say that the Royals will likely get the '12 game after renovations are completed at Kaufmann. I would imagine the Twins would be next in line after that with their new park and then the A's and Rays if they ever get their new parks built.

I want Mags back
05-23-2008, 12:58 PM
I guess, I thought that MLB was trying to get the All-Star Game to all the new parks, meaning they still need to go to Chase Field, Great American Ballpark, Citizen's Bank, PetCo, and Nationals Park. Plus, the game's never been in Tampa or Miami, but I bet they wait until they get new ballparks, not to mention the new Twins Park.

All members of the National League of Professional Baseball Clubs. You want it in NL Parks 5 years in a row.

doublem23
05-23-2008, 01:00 PM
All members of the National League of Professional Baseball Clubs. You want it in NL Parks 5 years in a row.

No, I don't give a crap, but I have a sneaking suspicion that we'll have more back-to-back NL host years.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Yep, I believe the highlight of that game was a HR by Bo Jackson (then of the Royals).

Actually the AL got started in the bottom of the 1st with back to back homers from Bo Jackson and Wade Boggs. The NL starter that year was Rick Reuschel of the S.F. Giants.

Hitmenof77
05-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Actually the AL got started in the bottom of the 1st with back to back homers from Bo Jackson and Wade Boggs. The NL starter that year was Rick Reuschel of the S.F. Giants.

But the shot Bo hit was a towering shot, off the first pitch from that fat ass. Bo won the AS MVP.

TDog
05-23-2008, 02:35 PM
The stadium in Anaheim has changed a lot (for the better) since the 1980s when it had changed a lot (for the worse) since the 1960s. It is almost like a new park.

With 16 NL teams and 14 AL teams, you should get an occasional two straight years n a National League city, but the NL isn't due for that again for a while.

SaltyPretzel
05-23-2008, 02:52 PM
The stadium in Anaheim has changed a lot (for the better) since the 1980s when it had changed a lot (for the worse) since the 1960s. It is almost like a new park.

I was there last week. It was a decent, clean park with plenty of leg room, but very bland. It was probably the quietest park I've been to, with the exception of when they had that stupid rally monkey on the JumboTron.

Hitmenof77
05-23-2008, 03:20 PM

With 16 NL teams and 14 AL teams, you should get an occasional two straight years n a National League city, but the NL isn't due for that again for a while.

They changed Anaheim Stadium, in the late 70's for the LA Rams move to Anaheim, enclosing the stadium. Before that you had a great view of the mountains and The Big A in the parking lot. The Rams came in 80 or 81, after Georgia killed her husband Carroll.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-23-2008, 03:26 PM
They changed Anaheim Stadium, in the late 70's for the LA Rams move to Anaheim, enclosing the stadium. Before that you had a great view of the mountains and The Big A in the parking lot. The Rams came in 80 or 81, after Georgia killed her husband Carroll.

Angels Stadium has changed a lot. Here's how it looked in the 70's.

Brian26
05-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Actually the AL got started in the bottom of the 1st with back to back homers from Bo Jackson and Wade Boggs.

With Ronald Reagan in the booth making the call.

RadioheadRocks
05-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Someone in one of the game threads vs. Anaheim last week asked why their park was called "The Big A"... the pic attached to VeeckAsInWreck's post sums it up perfectly.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5808&d=1211570772