PDA

View Full Version : Steve Rosenbloom: Is TCQ using PED?

Craig Grebeck
05-23-2008, 12:04 PM
Move this to the Roadhouse if you must. This is some seriously horrendous journalism on the part of Steve Rosenbloom: http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/rosenblog/2008/05/sox-taking-us-b.html?cid=116124076#comments

I'm sure the guy had never even heard of Carlos Quentin prior to this season; I'm sure he was unaware of Quentin's status as one of the game's best young prospects as well as his great minor league numbers.

KenBerryGrab
05-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Confirming SR's status as a major tool. Stick to poker, pal.

thegooch
05-23-2008, 12:08 PM
I read that and couldn't figure out what he was trying to say. I think it can be read two ways. One, TCQ is using PED's. Two, TCQ is still in the league because other players CAN'T use PED's anymore.

Sure sign of a talented journalist? Having no idea what he is trying to say.

FedEx227
05-23-2008, 12:10 PM
He's in the long list of Chicagoans that think Carlos Quentin came out of nowhere and had no idea of his prior past.

areilly
05-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Rosenbloom isn't my favorite, but I don't see any accusations. What I see is a vague, poorly-worded rumination on the aftereffect of rampant PED abuse in MLB. He also says he assumes Quentin is clean in the first sentence of the eighth paragraph.

So what's the big deal?

hi im skot
05-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Rosenbloom hasn't done his research. TCQ has put up solid numbers in the past, but due to injuries he was never able to reach his potential in Arizona.

Disapprove.

SOXfnNlansing
05-23-2008, 12:14 PM
It looks to me that rosenbloom wrote this piece, this early in Quinton's career, so if true, he would be able to say that he saw it first. I'm suprised that he beat moronoti to the punch.:scratch:

Craig Grebeck
05-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Rosenbloom isn't my favorite, but I don't see any accusations. What I see is a vague, poorly-worded rumination on the aftereffect of rampant PED abuse in MLB. He also says he assumes Quentin is clean in the first sentence of the eighth paragraph.

So what's the big deal?
His statement that we'd be "yapping" if Quentin played for another team in the ALC is hilarious. He says he "assumes" he's clean -- if that's the case, why drag his name through the mud like this?

hi im skot
05-23-2008, 12:17 PM
His statement that we'd be "yapping" if Quentin played for another team in the ALC is hilarious. He says he "assumes" he's clean -- if that's the case, why drag his name through the mud like this?

Exactly.

FedEx227
05-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Rosenbloom hasn't done his research. TCQ has put up solid numbers in the past, but due to injuries he was never able to reach his potential in Arizona.

Disapprove.

It's very annoying that a ton of Chicagoans are completely oblivious to any other baseball outside of Chicago. I can't tell you the amount of people, even friends/adults, etc that come up to me "Hey, who would've thought Quentin was going to be this good?" ...Well the Diamondbacks, until he got hurt a ton, and then they got a wealth of early 20s OFer.

Then I've heard crap like this "Well Quentin came outta nowhere, kinda suspicious there"... No.... he didn't... he was good, really really good for awhile but got hurt, this is the first healthy season he's had since 2004.

doublem23
05-23-2008, 12:19 PM
His statement that we'd be "yapping" if Quentin played for another team in the ALC is hilarious.

How dare a highly touted prospect succeed in the Majors once he's healthy and is getting regular, everyday playing time.

btrain929
05-23-2008, 12:23 PM

Funny I don't see us yapping negatively about Josh Hamilton or seeing his name mentioned in this article....

oeo
05-23-2008, 12:26 PM
He says everyone should be under suspicion, and yet Soto's sudden emergence goes right over his head. :scratch:

rocky biddle
05-23-2008, 12:26 PM
When guys like Rosenbloom and the Windsock write outrageous stuff like this, I just thank jeebus that everyone knows they're hacks; and therefore not to be taken seriously.

I mean, really, anyone that quotes Phil "Proven Workhorse" Rogers as a credible baseball journalist has to have his head up his ass, right?

Grasping at straws of relevance, your table is ready.

Craig Grebeck
05-23-2008, 12:27 PM
He says everyone should be under suspicion, and yet Soto's sudden emergence goes right over his head. :scratch:
Exactly. I think Soto is a good player -- but why is he a good player? Because he lost a ton of weight and started hitting. He is the kind of guy who comes out of nowhere with PEDs and plays well.

skobabe8
05-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Awful waste of time reading that.

Woofer
05-23-2008, 12:56 PM
If you wasted your time reading that article, keep scrolling down to read the comments section. There are some great comments wondering why Quentins name is being muddied, but Soto is not mentioned. I love that us Sox fans stand up to this kind of bias. It makes winning feel even sweeter.

areilly
05-23-2008, 12:58 PM
If you wasted your time reading that article, keep scrolling down to read the comments section. There are some great comments wondering why Quentins name is being muddied, but Soto is not mentioned. I love that us Sox fans stand up to this kind of bias. It makes winning feel even sweeter.

I was just about to say - looks like at least a few of us all had the same questions for Rosenbloom about his choice of subject.

TomBradley72
05-23-2008, 01:22 PM

Thank you. Rosenbloom is scum.

SoxOnTop
05-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Soto is a classic example of who we should suspect of PED's. Check out his minor league stats:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/Geovany-Soto.shtml

Last year, in AAA
26 HR
.353 AVE
.424 OBP
.652 SLG

Previous high in a full minors season:
9 HR
.271 AVE (AA)
.355 OBP (AA)
.417 SLG (Rookie ball)

You don't learn how to hit all of a sudden in AAA ball. TCQ was a MONSTER throughtout the minors. This production should not be a complete surprise.
How can you possibly talk about TCQ and PED's and not Soto? RIDICULOUS!!:angry:

PatK
05-23-2008, 03:11 PM
I love the Cubs fans getting angry at the Sox fans in the responses to that article.

soxpride724
05-23-2008, 04:44 PM
I'm so glad this hack dosent do our ESPN morning show anymore.

turners56
05-23-2008, 04:46 PM
Soto was the product of a great Cubs Minor League coaching system. Just like Mark Prior and Kerry Wood!

oeo
05-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Soto's playing out of his mind, since when did a 2 year transformation from a bad minor league hitter to a powerful MLB catcher get un-noticed?

Look at the uniform he's wearing. It's the same one that the Flinstone's vitamin eating right fielder wore.

Madscout
05-23-2008, 06:20 PM
For all of you thinking about reading the above posted link, try this one instead. Don't waist your time with the other one. This one (although from the Cubune) gets the story from the horses mouths.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-080522-morrissey-quentin-chicago-white-sox,0,1004033.column

Vernam
05-23-2008, 07:26 PM
PEDs? More like PoS. That's what Rosenbloom is, a piece of ****.

Vernam

Boondock Saint
05-23-2008, 07:44 PM
*cough cough* Geovany Soto.

Oh, it's supposed to go inside the coughs, you say?

**** it. He's juiced.

1908<2005
05-23-2008, 10:12 PM
Meh, Soto isn't juiced up. He lost a lot of weight since 2005 and his stats have gone up since that.

turners56
05-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Meh, Soto isn't juiced up. He lost a lot of weight since 2005 and his stats have gone up since that.

So the fact that he was fat slowed down his hitting? :scratch: I thought bigger guys hit the ball harder and farther?

FedEx227
05-23-2008, 10:43 PM
I don't think either of them are. Can't a guy just have a spike in hitting or finally get an opportunity without a witch hunt? It's not as if either of these guys had huge body transformations outside of Soto losing a good amount of weight, which I would classify as an opposite effect.

We throw Rosenbloom in the dirt because he's needlessly naming players yet WSI has no problems shouting out a bunch of Cub players... seems kinda funny, huh?

Boondock Saint
05-24-2008, 01:38 AM
I don't think either of them are. Can't a guy just have a spike in hitting or finally get an opportunity without a witch hunt? It's not as if either of these guys had huge body transformations outside of Soto losing a good amount of weight, which I would classify as an opposite effect.

We throw Rosenbloom in the dirt because he's needlessly naming players yet WSI has no problems shouting out a bunch of Cub players... seems kinda funny, huh?

It's just my opinion. When I come on here and say that I think Soto's on PEDs, it's like having conversation with my buddies. Rosenbloom is a member of the media. He's also a Cubbie apologist and it's only fair to call bull**** on him for screaming "Roids!" at TCQ's numbers while looking the other way when it comes to Soto's sudden emergence.

oeo
05-24-2008, 01:41 AM
So the fact that he was fat slowed down his hitting? :scratch: I thought bigger guys hit the ball harder and farther?

Nah, Soto is quoted as saying it's because he started believing in himself. :lol:

It sounds like he took a page out of Shammy's book.

oeo
05-24-2008, 01:42 AM

Maybe if you're small and skinny it would have the opposite effect. Soto was a fatass, though...

He is very questionable, but I'll leave it at that.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-24-2008, 10:22 AM
This is just shoddy journalism. To link ANY young player with 'roids just to churn out a column/blog is wrong. And yeah, he says he thinks he's clean but too many people will just see two words, "Quentin" and "PED".

And how did MLB testing for roids give Quentin his opportunity. It couldn't just be talent and hard work? :angry:

UofCSoxFan
05-25-2008, 05:53 PM
His main evidence seems to be that TCQ has matched his career totals in home runs already this year. He fails to mention that he played half a year while injured. If TCQ is taking PEDs, then he has been since college since he put up stud numbers there. Honestly, no one that knows anything about baseball is really that suprised by Quentin's success...they may be suprised he came on so quickly but he was a number 1 pick for a reason.

UofCSoxFan
05-25-2008, 05:55 PM
This is just shoddy journalism. To link ANY young player with 'roids just to churn out a column/blog is wrong. And yeah, he says he thinks he's clean but too many people will just see two words, "Quentin" and "PED".

And how did MLB testing for roids give Quentin his opportunity. It couldn't just be talent and hard work? :angry:

The only way testing for roids gave Quentin his opportunity is that the Sox got rid of Erstad or Terraro b/c they were on roids, not b/c they sucked. Not buying that....or that Owens's injury some how has to do with steroid testing. Again,...what? You would think a major newspaper would have editors. Really this is borderline slander.