PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle turning it around?

delben91
05-23-2008, 09:18 AM
I know there's been discussion about walk totals, and all the early season speculation about a possible hidden injury, but I like what Mark's done the last two times out.

Also, I found this (http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=196353) in the Daily Herald. Apparently two starts ago, Coop and Mark made an adjustment to keep him more upright when pitching out of the stretch. Since then he's had two solid if not very good outings.

Now, I'm not in the Coop is a miracle worker camp necessarily, but it'll be interesting to see if Mark keeps this up...maybe that adjustment will make all the difference?

btrain929
05-23-2008, 09:20 AM
I know there's been discussion about walk totals, and all the early season speculation about a possible hidden injury, but I like what Mark's done the last two times out.

Also, I found this (http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=196353) in the Daily Herald. Apparently two starts ago, Coop and Mark made an adjustment to keep him more upright when pitching out of the stretch. Since then he's had two solid if not very good outings.

Now, I'm not in the Coop is a miracle worker camp necessarily, but it'll be interesting to see if Mark keeps this up...maybe that adjustment will make all the difference?

I hope so. It was a damn shame he couldn't get the win last night. We have to get some W's in his column.

voodoochile
05-23-2008, 09:22 AM
It's only two starts, but he looks a lot better especially with men on base.

KenBerryGrab
05-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Nice quote from Wedge: "Buehrle had his cutter working. He was effective against right-handers. It was breaking late and sharp. He broke a lot of bats."

MeteorsSox4367
05-23-2008, 09:38 AM
I hope so, because I'm a huge Buehrle fan. Also, maybe this will keep Dave Kaplan quiet since he seemed to take huge satisfaction in Buehrle's struggles and implied that Buehrle might have been washed up on Chicago Tribune Live.

The Immigrant
05-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Nice quote from Wedge: "Buehrle had his cutter working. He was effective against right-handers. It was breaking late and sharp. He broke a lot of bats."

And that, really, is the key to Mark's success. Right-handers have been killing him this year because he was either pitching away (and missing) or leaving the ball in the middle of the plate - like that meatball he threw to Vlad ten days ago. He's most effective when pitching inside to right-handers and sawing off bats, like he did last night. If that's a function of his cuter being "back," then he may have just turned the corner.

CashMan
05-23-2008, 09:45 AM

Does Marky Mark, have a wind up? IIRC, he always pitches like he is in the stretch.

chisoxfanatic
05-23-2008, 10:02 AM
I was thinking this last night as well while watching the game. I suppose some of this could be due to the fact that the team is playing better, and that feeling is contageous throughout the clubhouse; but, he is more in command than he was last month. Once things finally heat up, the offense will come around. If the pitching can stay hot like they have when that happens, the entire league is in trouble.

I'm thinking Buehrle will still get about 15 wins this season. He'll have a stretch mid-season where he wins 7 or 8 games in a row.

ondafarm
05-23-2008, 10:05 AM
Two starts does not a season make, but Buehrle is definitely showing signs of being the Buerhle we all know he can be.

Chicken Dinner
05-23-2008, 10:45 AM
Was it just me or was Mark pitching a little "Zito like" last night?

D. TODD
05-23-2008, 10:49 AM
I'm not worried about Buehrle at all. He has had a few rough outing, but he has also had some fairly strong ones with nothing to show for them. (Toronto/last night). He knows how to win and compete night in and night out. He will give a ton of 6 plus outing this year as always. I still sweat what Danks & Floyd will do over the course of 162 games much more then Buehrle.

sox1970
05-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Buehrle is Buehrle. He'll get his 20 quality starts.

doublem23
05-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Two starts does not a season make, but Buehrle is definitely showing signs of being the Buerhle we all know he can be.

Considering how many people were pushing the panic button after 2 rocky starts, I'd say a feeling of comfort is justified.

cws05champ
05-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Well, he didn't give up 6ER in 3 2/3...so no, he wasn't Zito like! :smile:

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-23-2008, 01:48 PM
I hope so, because I'm a huge Buehrle fan. Also, maybe this will keep Dave Kaplan quiet since he seemed to take huge satisfaction in Buehrle's struggles and implied that Buehrle might have been washed up on Chicago Tribune Live.

I'm surprised you still watch that show. Ever since he took over, I can't stand it.

turners56
05-23-2008, 03:35 PM
2 good starts against a bad Giants lineup and a struggling Indians offense isn't much to brag about. However, they are great confidence builders. Mark will get it back together eventually. Until he can pitch well against teams like the Angels, Yankees, Red Sox, or any other good offensive team, I'm not going to be convinced that he is back to the good Mark Buehrle. Even with the nice start last night, he had some problems with control to certain batters.

TDog
05-23-2008, 04:24 PM

I don't know if you were pitching "Zito-like" last night, and I totally missed the Sox game last night, but having see Zito pitch this season, I am fairly confident the term "Zito-like" should not be applied to Buehrle's most recent outing.

Buehrle gave up a two hits, one driving in a run. He walked, what was it, four? What are people complaining about?

Zito on Saturday, I believe, had at least two baserunners on in every inning. Maybe the inning where Buehrle singled to the wall in right was an exception. Yet, on the radio after the game, the Giants media was talking about how much better he looked because he didn't give up the big hits the way he normally does.

The improvement I saw in Buehrle was with two outs. Buehrle has had a tendency this season to give up too much with two outs. He hasn't given up any two-out RBIs in his last two outings. (And it was rather funny listening to Giants fans trying to pronounce his name.)

There is such a double standard here. Buehrle gave up two hits and four walks in seven innings. He gave up one run on a night when the Sox scored in the top of the first and scored in the eighth. Sounds good to me. For most Sox pitchers that would be a great outing. For Buehrle, fans see an outing reminiscent of a pitcher off to an 0- start who (I just looked it up) gave up eight hits and six walks while throwing 116 pitches in five innings against the White Sox on Saturday night.

gobears1987
05-23-2008, 04:32 PM
I was telling people to calm down after the LA game when people were bitching in the gameday thread. Let's just put this one down as a see I told you so. I can't stand some of these dark clouds.

And yes Coop is a miracle worker, Contreras, Vazquez, Danks, and Floyd are all evidence of that. Look how much Jose, Vazquez, and Floyd are doing on the Sox versus their previous cities. Most pitchers who come to the Sox pitch better here than they did elsewhere. I think there is a reason for that.

I will use the term Zito like to describe his outing given the fact that Buehrle's breaking pitches looked like Zito's in his days with the A's before he sucked. Buehrle's numbers are even more amazing when the ump wasn't giving him the low strike that he needs with his breaking ball.

Chicken Dinner
05-23-2008, 05:00 PM
I will use the term Zito like to describe his outing given the fact that Buehrle's breaking pitches looked like Zito's in his days with the A's before he sucked. Buehrle's numbers are even more amazing when the ump wasn't giving him the low strike that he needs with his breaking ball.

That's what I was referring to, the looping curve, not his stats.

TDog
05-23-2008, 05:31 PM
That's what I was referring to, the looping curve, not his stats.

Barry Zito has become so bad in such a short period of time that it is easy to forget that he was a very good pitcher before he came to the Giants. He even had flashes last year where he was a pretty good pitcher. My apologies if I overrated, but if you use the term "Zito-like" in Northern California, these days, it is far from complimentary. It isn't just Barry Zito's stats that have been bad this year. Every inning seems to be a struggle.

On the BART Saturday night after the game, a loud woman in Giants gear seemed to be speaking at length for everyone with their frustration. "Give me $125 million. I can lose," she said. "I'm even left handed." I found it rather funny because I don't have an emotional investment in the Giants.