PDA

View Full Version : 5/31 Sox vs. Rays Game One Hour Blackout

SoxFan78
05-23-2008, 09:01 AM
I am surprised nobody has brought this up. I read in Chris DeLucas column today that next Saturday's game vs. the Tampa Bay Rays will be blacked out for the first hour because of the very dumb Fox exclusive TV broadcast rights on Saturdays. First pitch is 5:10, but since Fox owns all baseball tv rights from 3:00-6:00 on Saturdays, fans in Tampa and Chicago are screwed.

I love the Bud and innovative MLB blackout rules.

Here is a link to the story, scroll down.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/966272,CST-SPT-soxnt23.article

Cat Thief
05-23-2008, 09:06 AM
That is total BS.

FOX can kiss my ass.

The next thing someone is going to tell me is that there is a SOX/Twins game in September that is not going to be televised.

white sox bill
05-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Stoney and Farmio we are with you! Hell, if thats the worst thing that happens in my day, I can live with that!

voodoochile
05-23-2008, 09:28 AM
Isn't this an improvement? I mean last year the whole game would have been blacked out because it started in the blackout zone.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-23-2008, 10:11 AM
What I don't get is why the Rays refused to move the game back an hour?

What concert is so important after the game that they can't wait that long?

:scratch:

Bump34
05-23-2008, 10:43 AM
The post game concert is Trace Adkins... its part of a Saturday Concert Series the team is promoting... games are at 6:10 EDT... and there is no local TV...

Chicken Dinner
05-23-2008, 10:47 AM
The post game concert is Trace Adkins... its part of a Saturday Concert Series the team is promoting... games are at 6:10 EDT... and there is no local TV...

So we go from Gopher football to Trace Adkins. It must be something with these domes. :scratch:

VeeckAsInWreck
05-23-2008, 10:50 AM

Trace Adkins? :dunno: I've heard of him, but you'd think maybe they could work something out with him.

Unless the Rays simply don't want to mess with anything.

Looking at the schedule though, it's funny that the Sox are making two trips to Tampa in consecutive months yet they played the Yankees for a home series in April and then don't face them again until September. :scratch:

DumpJerry
05-23-2008, 10:52 AM
No local television? No wonder the fans don't come. It's like the early '80's White Sox when they went off free television......

thomas35forever
05-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Fox must die.

nug0hs
05-23-2008, 11:25 AM
The calendar handed out in the opening series shows that game being broadcast on CSN, is that schedule wrong?

ElevenUp
05-23-2008, 11:37 AM
The calendar handed out in the opening series shows that game being broadcast on CSN, is that schedule wrong?

No, game is on CSN, but due to MLB rules no other TV stations are allowed to broadcast games within a certain time of the Fox broadcast.
:angry:

itsnotrequired
05-23-2008, 11:50 AM
I am done as a Sox fan.

TDog
05-23-2008, 12:01 PM
No local television? No wonder the fans don't come. It's like the early '80's White Sox when they went off free television......

Or the mid-1960s when WGN didn't televise road games or most home games during the week, forcing the Sox to go to channel 32.

hawkjt
05-23-2008, 01:04 PM
So we go from Gopher football to Trace Adkins. It must be something with these domes. :scratch:

The moral of this story is that these plastic domes are not meant for baseball and teams that play in them rarely have control over their own fate.
Multi-purpose facilities are just that..multi use...and baseball is not top dog in these scenarios partially due to the fact that baseball is not meant to be played inside and fan support reflects that. I doubt a Viking game would be moved for a gopher game.

bottom line...thank god the twinkies move outside eventually where their lousy road record will then be matched by a lousy home record when they have to play on real grass.

tlebar318
05-23-2008, 01:29 PM
I am surprised nobody has brought this up. I read in Chris DeLucas column today that next Saturday's game vs. the Tampa Bay Rays will be blacked out for the first hour because of the very dumb Fox exclusive TV broadcast rights on Saturdays. First pitch is 5:10, but since Fox owns all baseball tv rights from 3:00-6:00 on Saturdays, fans in Tampa and Chicago are screwed.

Here is a link to the story, scroll down.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/966272,CST-SPT-soxnt23.article

Not to be selfish but I will be there at the game in person so I am not worried about it:cool:--although I do get upset when the Sox/Cubs are in interleague and in Orlando they show Yankees/Mets or Braves/? instead.....There are alot of Chicago people down here!

guillen4life13
05-23-2008, 01:31 PM
bottom line...thank god the twinkies move outside eventually where their lousy road record will then be matched by a lousy home record when they have to play on real grass.

While I'm happy that the Twins are moving out of the baggy-dome, I'm starting to get really tired of people saying that the Twins' good record there is a result of the actual dome and surface.

I see playing in a place like the Metrodome as a bigger liability for a team because of the increased risk of injury. Playing there 81 times instead of 20 times would increase the likelihood of such injuries occurring for that team.

It's a result of the team playing good baseball at home that the Twins have a good record there. Us blaming the Sox' less than stellar record in there on the Metrodome is almost as bad as blaming a title drought on a stupid goat.

The only thing I would say that could give them any greater advantage than, say, the Sox at the Cell is their alleged tampering with air vents.

soxfan21
05-23-2008, 01:41 PM
I think that this is total B.S. as well, but as mentioned before at least we have Stoney and Farmio to listen to for the hour that the game is blacked out. I guess comcast is going to run some Sox Showcase show for an hour with a live ticker on the screen with live updates and such. Should be interesting...

Iwritecode
05-23-2008, 01:48 PM
The only thing I would say that could give them any greater advantage than, say, the Sox at the Cell is their alleged tampering with air vents.

I think the fact that they know how to play on the trampoline-like field is a pretty big advantage too.

Although I think they finally changed the turf so it responds more like real grass now.

Chicken Dinner
05-23-2008, 01:48 PM

Actually, I think fans everywhere are screwed. I'm sure the EI package won't be able to broadcast it either. Why MLB did this blows my mind. Greedy bastards.

Stoky44
05-23-2008, 04:31 PM
That is total BS.

FOX can kiss my ass.

Fox must die.

Actually, I think fans everywhere are screwed. I'm sure the EI package won't be able to broadcast it either. Why MLB did this blows my mind. Greedy bastards.

This is all Tampa's fault. MLB gets $ from fox for exclusive rights until 6:00. Every team knows this, yet TB puts the game at 5:10 b/c they want to have a concert. I don't blame Fox they pay for the right to show MLB on only Fox for that time. MLB gets more exposure to put games on free national tv which helps the sport. Its really all TB's fault.

TB is the ones being greedy. They are saying screw the fans and TV, we want to make more money at this game so lets have a concert and push the game forward even though it screws the fans.

Lip Man 1
05-23-2008, 05:25 PM
I'm surprised Comcast doesn't just tape delay the game an hour and show it from the start at 6:05 Chicago time.

Makes more sense then joining it in progress and showing a goofy update ticker for the first hour.

Lip

Medford Bobby
05-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Or the mid-1960s when WGN didn't televise road games or most home games during the week, forcing the Sox to go to channel 32.

WGN had a policy back then you could not interupt Bozo Circus or Garfield Goose. Where as Channel 32 was only showing 3 Stooges shorts and BJ and Dirty Dragon you could throw a SOX game on anytime............:o:

pierzynski07
05-23-2008, 05:36 PM
I'm surprised Comcast doesn't just tape delay the game an hour and show it from the start at 6:05 Chicago time.

Makes more sense then joining it in progress and showing a goofy update ticker for the first hour.

Lip
And have the radio/TV be out of sync? No thanks.

TDog
05-23-2008, 05:39 PM
WGN had a policy back then you could not interupt Bozo Circus or Garfield Goose. Where as Channel 32 was only showing 3 Stooges shorts and BJ and Dirty Dragon you could throw a SOX game on anytime............:o:

I have a program log for a day at Channel 32, probably from a Saturday in 1970. I've moved a couple of times and I'm not sure where it's packed. There was the Munsters and White Sox promos up until the White Sox game. People complained about the station, but the White Sox were the priority.

Angry Young Men and Meister Brau commercials.

Later there would be Screaming Yellow Theater on after Friday night Sox games. Usually during the summer, late-night programming was the White Sox, the Honeymooners and the national anthem.

Lip Man 1
05-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Actually Bobby that's not quite true. Yes WGN didn't show a lot of Sox road night games but it was because of the expense of sending the signal back to Chicago via large land lines that was the only option in those days. Ditto for the Cubs.

WGN compensated by showing mostly home games for both teams, shorter land line costs.

And WGN in the early 60's was showing most of the home Sox weekday games... the Sox beef came on the weekends when they were relegated to Saturday afternoons with the Cubs getting the Sunday afternoon slot.

Lip

Jimmy John
05-23-2008, 07:03 PM
And have the radio/TV be out of sync? No thanks.

you don't have to listen to the radio...

TDog
05-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Sox and Cubs weekday home games would have started after Bozo, of course. The Sox used to start afternoon games at 1:15. The Cubs probably started their games after 1 p.m. in the days before lights ruined the neighborhood.

Near the end on WGN, the Sox weren't getting many weeknight games, though. I've read that WGN didn't want to interrupt its prime time lineup.

Medford Bobby
05-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Actually Bobby that's not quite true. Yes WGN didn't show a lot of Sox road night games but it was because of the expense of sending the signal back to Chicago via large land lines that was the only option in those days. Ditto for the Cubs.

WGN compensated by showing mostly home games for both teams, shorter land line costs.

And WGN in the early 60's was showing most of the home Sox weekday games... the Sox beef came on the weekends when they were relegated to Saturday afternoons with the Cubs getting the Sunday afternoon slot.

Lip

Indeed I remember you hardly saw many west coast games even in the early to mid 70's.
My attempted humour was at how big the TV audiences were of the local programming at WGN in the 60's.:smile:

LoveYourSuit
05-23-2008, 08:02 PM
i will be at this game thank God!!!
:bandance:

pierzynski07
05-23-2008, 08:28 PM
you don't have to listen to the radio...
And I don't want to listen to the TV.

Some people turn down the volume on the TV and turn the radio on because they prefer the voices of that paticular announcing crew.

If someone wants to watch the first three innings, they can watch the encore.

Viva Medias B's
05-23-2008, 08:34 PM
This one hour blackout reminds me of what Blackhawks radio was like in an era of the Arthur Wirtz ownership. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Arthur ban the first period of home games from being broadcast on the radio?

whitesox901
05-23-2008, 11:35 PM
Is this going to be blacked on MLB.TV?

Lip Man 1
05-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Viva:

Yes AND the 7th game of the Stanley Cup final was shown nationally on CBS (it was the first NHL game ever shown in prime time in the U.S. on one of the three major networks) yet it was BLACKED OUT in Chicago. (Naturally because of the Wirtz's...)

Lip

Chicken Dinner
05-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Is this going to be blacked on MLB.TV?

I would think it would be blacked out on everything.

turners56
05-24-2008, 01:41 PM
While I'm happy that the Twins are moving out of the baggy-dome, I'm starting to get really tired of people saying that the Twins' good record there is a result of the actual dome and surface.

I see playing in a place like the Metrodome as a bigger liability for a team because of the increased risk of injury. Playing there 81 times instead of 20 times would increase the likelihood of such injuries occurring for that team.

It's a result of the team playing good baseball at home that the Twins have a good record there. Us blaming the Sox' less than stellar record in there on the Metrodome is almost as bad as blaming a title drought on a stupid goat.

Thing is, the Twins build their teams to succeed in that dome. They get a bunch of ground-ball hitting guys that get seeing eye singles through the holes due to that fast infield. And since they don't have much power, they get a big old baggy in right field that stops any hard hit ball not high enough from really becoming a home run.

Bump34
05-24-2008, 07:45 PM
30,445 in attendance... guess no TV forced people to come to the park...

Vernam
05-24-2008, 08:37 PM
With the first hour of the game blacked out, there's a chance -- however small -- that we might miss seeing the Sox get a hit. :mad:

Vernam

Brian26
05-24-2008, 10:35 PM
30,445 in attendance... guess no TV forced people to come to the park...

5,000 baseball fans and 25,445 fans of the Commodores. :D:

Dabchsx28
05-25-2008, 05:42 PM
I would think it would be blacked out on everything.
Hey guys sorry I no this doesn't hvae 2 do with subject but does any1 no what hotel the sox stay in when they play in Tampa Bay me and a few of my buddies r making a trip there thanks and go SOX :bandance:

soxfanreggie
05-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Was hoping to head home for this weekend and catch the Sox games there...darn work got in the way! :angry:

CubKilla
05-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Vazquez v. Kazmir too :angry:

VeeckAsInWreck
05-29-2008, 10:46 AM
Vazquez v. Kazmir too :angry:

I'm not happy about it either but it'll only be for the first hour. But with that pitching matchup the game could be in the 6th inning by the time it's on TV! :o:

You can always listen on the radio or follow it on Gameday. I know Comcast Sportsnet is going to have a ticker running during that hour.

UofCSoxFan
05-29-2008, 11:07 AM
5,000 baseball fans and 25,445 fans of the Commodores. :D:

Probably 3,000 of those 5,000 baseball fans are confused Red Sox fans that thought Rays vs. Sox meant Boston, not Chicago.

Oblong
05-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Just hope it doesn't go into extra innings. Last year the Tigers over the air affiliate was also the Fox affiliate. They wouldn't start the Tiger game until the Fox game was over. And they scored like 10 runs in the first two innings. They kept running a crawler at the bottom explaining why. Of course that didn't prevent people from complaining to the local affiliate as if they could do something about it.

Fenway
05-30-2008, 02:50 PM
I looked and did not see a thread on this.

Because the game in Tampa on Saturday starts at 6 PM eastern the first hour of the game will NOT be shown on local TV and coverage will start at 6 PM Central.

The reason is the FOX window that is from 1 to 7 Eastern time on Saturday

Brooks tried to get a waiver from MLB and was turned down.

Funny thing is this happened last year to the Red Sox in Tampa and the waiver was granted

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-080529-rick-reilly-espn-greenstein,0,5493961.column

Iwritecode
05-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Funny thing is this happened last year to the Red Sox in Tampa and the waiver was granted

Shocking...

Fenway
05-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Shocking...

NESN heard the reason the White Sox were denied the waiver is because the Flubs game is on 32 and FOX wants to protect the local station.

Iwritecode
05-30-2008, 03:01 PM
NESN heard the reason the White Sox were denied the waiver is because the Flubs game is on 32 and FOX wants to protect the local station.

Unless the Cubs game goes 20 innings, I don't think they'll still be playing at 5 PM. :scratch:

Fenway
05-30-2008, 03:03 PM
Hmmm the Cubs game is not on FOX.....this makes the denial of the waiver even stranger

The Rays won't change the time of the game to 7 because they have a promotion.....

This FOX blackout rule is insanity

Iwritecode
05-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Are the Cubs being shown on FOX32 tomorrow?????

The Rays won't change the time of the game to 7 because they have a promotion.....

According to their schedule, they'll be on Comcast.

pierzynski07
05-30-2008, 03:06 PM
I looked and did not see a thread on this.

I'm sure of it. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101494)

Fenway
05-30-2008, 03:06 PM
According to their schedule, they'll be on Comcast.

but not until 6 PM

The game starts at 5 PM Chicago time....

Brooks is quoted in the Trib article

Frontman
05-30-2008, 03:07 PM
Hmmm the Cubs game is not on FOX.....this makes the denial of the waiver even stranger

Please, the infatuation with the Cubs is also the insanity. I will bet if it was the Sox on Fox this week, and the Cubs were playing at 6pm? They'd grant the waiver in a heartbeat.

I was on vacation this week, and I got to see 3 Cubs games due to National Broadcasts. I didn't get to see the Sox, as the bar had only one TV, and they had the Lakers/Spurs on for Sunday night (which I understand, as its a playoff game versus a regular season game.)

Iwritecode
05-30-2008, 03:15 PM
but not until 6 PM

The game starts at 5 PM Chicago time....

Brooks is quoted in the Trib article

I meant the CUBS will be on Comcast. They won't be on Fox and shouldn't affect the Sox game at all.

Yet they won't grant the waiver.

Though they did it last year for an East Coast team... Hmm...

pierzynski07
05-30-2008, 03:17 PM
It says Chicago is an important market for FOX, so they must get great ratings, even if non-chicago teams are playing.

Likewise, FOX in Boston must have very few viewers for non BoSox games.

Fenway
05-30-2008, 03:19 PM
It says Chicago is an important market for FOX, so they must get great ratings, even if non-chicago teams are playing.

Likewise, FOX in Boston must have very few viewers for non BoSox games.

unless it is the Yankees :tongue:

pierzynski07
05-30-2008, 03:25 PM
unless it is the Yankees :tongue:
That too.

Or, perhaps the NESN ratings are so huge, that there would have been too much money to lose.

Fenway
05-30-2008, 03:44 PM
That too.

Or, perhaps the NESN ratings are so huge, that there would have been too much money to lose.

They are huge.

That is the reason no games are on 'free tv' in Boston except the FOX games

Putting a game on regular TV the team would lose money

NDSox12
05-31-2008, 04:06 PM
At least you Chicago area people will get to see a good portion of the game. I won't be seeing any of it since it looks like Extra Innings isn't showing it. I guess it will be Gameday and Gameday Audio for me tonight.