PDA

View Full Version : Joe Sheehan jumps on Sox bandwagon....

Tragg
05-22-2008, 04:51 PM
Say it''s so, Joe.....

MOD EDIT: Do not paste copyrighted text to our message boards. The link is OK, paraphrasing would be OK, too, but you can't just copy and paste the text here (using quotation marks doesn't make it, OK, either).

To read the entire riveting piece, you gotta pay to play: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7563

btrain929
05-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Outside of the early season mishaps from Crede, I think our defense from position to position has to be considered a tick above average.

turners56
05-22-2008, 05:06 PM
COPYRIGHTED TEXT

Who is he kidding?

UofCSoxFan
05-22-2008, 05:32 PM
COPYRIGHTED TEXT

Who is he kidding?

I guess it all depends if you consider moving your 1 hitter to 8, your 2 to 1, your 3 to 5, your 4 to 6, your 5 to 4 your 6 to 3 and your 8 to 7 significant. Hell, the 9 hitter didn't even change...who are we kidding here?

Daver
05-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Somebody kick him off.

turners56
05-22-2008, 05:40 PM
I guess it all depends if you consider moving your 1 hitter to 8, your 2 to 1, your 3 to 5, your 4 to 6, your 5 to 4 your 6 to 3 and your 8 to 7 significant. Hell, the 9 hitter didn't even change...who are we kidding here?

Ozzie's used something like 24 different lineups this year. He's done a lot of testing here and there. There's been two successful lineups this year. The one we have now and the one we had during our 5 game winning streak earlier this season. The rest was had some shifting here and there. It wasn't pretty to say the least.

oeo
05-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Outside of the early season mishaps from Crede, I think our defense from position to position has to be considered a tick above average.

The only place I'd say it's above average is in the middle of the infield. Otherwise, our outfield has been average to below average...we really don't have a plus defender at any of the three positions. AJ is AJ...he's not here for defense, and Paulie is having a bad year at first (not only does it seem like his lackluster range has gotten even worse, he's not making the plays he used to). Overall, it gets the job done, but it's nothing special.

Lip Man 1
05-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Screw Joe, BP, and the horse they road in on.

The minute something changes they'll get back to their pompous denigrating of the Sox, the franchise and the fans.

I'm still laughing at their stupidity in 2005 when after the Sox clinched the division they still refused to update their site saying the Sox STILL didn't have a 100% chance of winning the division.

:rolleyes:

Lip

Sockinchisox
05-22-2008, 05:54 PM
A fairly positive article for those that are interested.

Central Surprise (http://baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7563)

Corlose 15
05-22-2008, 05:56 PM
Meh, that wasn't all that complimentary of the Sox. Saying this lineup can't improve on its .240 average isn't being very positive.

turners56
05-22-2008, 05:57 PM
This was posted in What's the Score.

turners56
05-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Meh, that wasn't all that complimentary of the Sox. Saying this lineup can't improve on its .240 average isn't being very positive.

He said 4 guys were playing substantially below their performance and that 4 were playing over their head (who are these 4?). I'm guessing he's saying that the 4 guys playing above their heads are going to come down to earth, but will perform. And the guys playing way below their standards will come back to their standards. Meaning the White Sox will indeed hit better. You're trading off for a bit worse from the 4 guys that are playing well and a lot better for the guys who are playing terrible. So I guess that could be improvement. I expect this team to hit .260 at the end of the season. That's not too much to ask is it?

Craig Grebeck
05-22-2008, 06:51 PM
The only place I'd say it's above average is in the middle of the infield. Otherwise, our outfield has been average to below average...we really don't have a plus defender at any of the three positions. AJ is AJ...he's not here for defense, and Paulie is having a bad year at first (not only does it seem like his lackluster range has gotten even worse, he's not making the plays he used to). Overall, it gets the job done, but it's nothing special.
I disagree on the OF -- Quentin is well above average for a LF. The rest is spot on, IMO.

oeo
05-22-2008, 06:54 PM
I disagree on the OF -- Quentin is well above average for a LF. The rest is spot on, IMO.

Have you watched him this year? He's been very shaky.

Throw your Quentin love to the side...I like the guy too, but he has not been 'well above average'...above average is a push. He's actually dropped a couple of balls, he's letting stuff fall that shouldn't be falling. He's shown his good arm exactly once this year. I hope it's just him not feeling completely comfortable in left field, because I was expecting more from him on the defensive side.

He's still the man, though.

Craig Grebeck
05-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Have you watched him this year? He's been very shaky.

Throw your Quentin love to the side...I like the guy too, but he has not been 'well above average'...above average is a push.
He's made 2 misplays or so, but the guy is playing at a high level. I still think he should be moved to RF.

jabrch
05-22-2008, 08:48 PM
He's still a douchebag. **** Sheehan and the horse he road in on.

Mr. White Sox
05-23-2008, 02:06 AM
He said 4 guys were playing substantially below their performance and that 4 were playing over their head (who are these 4?). I'm guessing he's saying that the 4 guys playing above their heads are going to come down to earth, but will perform. And the guys playing way below their standards will come back to their standards. Meaning the White Sox will indeed hit better. You're trading off for a bit worse from the 4 guys that are playing well and a lot better for the guys who are playing terrible. So I guess that could be improvement. I expect this team to hit .260 at the end of the season. That's not too much to ask is it?

I'm guessing the four are: Quentin, Crede, AJ, and Dye, as those are the only four guys hitting right now. The four below: Cabrera, Thome, Konerko, Swisher.

KenBerryGrab
05-23-2008, 10:35 AM
This piece is also up for free on Sports Illustrated's site.