PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hamilton

doublem23
05-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Wow... I didn't really notice, but we're a 1/4 done with the season and he's making a serious case for the Triple Crown... 2nd in the A.L. in BA (8 points behind Joe Mauer), 2nd in HR (1 behind Quentin), and 1st by a wide margin in RBI.

It's amazing to think how good this guy might have been had it not been for all his personal demons.

Risk
05-22-2008, 10:52 AM
It really is amazing that he is performing at such a high level. Personally, I think its more amazing that he was able to kick his drug addiction when he could have become another member of the "potential stars who succumbed to addiction" club.

Risk

kninchicago
05-22-2008, 11:22 AM
It's amazing to think how good this guy might have been had it not been for all his personal demons.

Perhaps if it weren't for his past he wouldn't have the drive and discipline to do as well as he currently is.

Either way if he pulls that off it'll be super cool regardless of his past--when was the last time that happened?

doublem23
05-22-2008, 11:22 AM
It really is amazing that he is performing at such a high level. Personally, I think its more amazing that he was able to kick his drug addiction when he could have become another member of the "potential stars who succumbed to addiction" club.

Risk

I think it's amazing that he's been able to do both. Had he come back and was a so-so, 4th OF type player we could all talk about how great he would have been but it would be expected. I can't rememeber any athlete as deep into drug abuse as Hamilton was that came back and was this good. He's arguably the best hitter in the American League right now. It's truly insipring to watch him play.

Either way if he pulls that off it'll be super cool regardless of his past--when was the last time that happened?

The Triple Crown?

:hawk
That would be the great Carl Yazstremski back in 1967. Oh what a year that was, say, have I told you all my anecdotes of my playing days with Yaz yet?

kninchicago
05-22-2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks doublem. I figured it hadn't been done anytime too recently.

jackbrohamer
05-22-2008, 11:37 AM

Agreed, he's been in drug rehab like 8 times, it's nice to see he's making a go of it.

thedudeabides
05-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Whate a trade that was for both teams. Hamilton and Volquez are to of the better young players in the league. Man, Texas sure knows how to give up pitching.

palehozenychicty
05-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Whate a trade that was for both teams. Hamilton and Volquez are to of the better young players in the league. Man, Texas sure knows how to give up pitching.

They do give up pitching all the time. They always need it too. The world is a strange place.

bridgeportcopper
05-22-2008, 05:14 PM
If, as I think I read somewhere, this guy beat a heroin addiction, this is in fact amazing! I have seen what that drug does to people and, believe me it ruins lives worse than anything I've seen. Congrats to him if that's the case and I hope he has a strong family base around him because I'm sure each day is a battle for him.

sox1970
05-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Hit a homer against the Twins in the 10th today.

:bandance:

turners56
05-22-2008, 05:18 PM

Yeap, the further the Twins fall behind, the better I feel about the White Sox and their chances to make the postseason. They split a series at home against the Rangers, how about that? Not so invincible at the Hump dome eh? If C.J. Wilson wasn't such a bad closer, the Rangers would of taken 3 of 4.

Gavin
05-22-2008, 05:21 PM
He asked my sister out in 6th grade. She said no.

"Too redneck"

fquaye149
05-22-2008, 05:22 PM
I think it's amazing that he's been able to do both. Had he come back and was a so-so, 4th OF type player we could all talk about how great he would have been but it would be expected. I can't rememeber any athlete as deep into drug abuse as Hamilton was that came back and was this good. He's arguably the best hitter in the American League right now. It's truly insipring to watch him play.

The Triple Crown?

:hawk
That would be the great Carl Yazstremski back in 1967. Oh what a year that was, say, have I told you all my anecdotes of my playing days with Yaz yet?

Didn't Doc Gooden throw a no-hitter after "kicking" his crack addiction?

DumpJerry
05-22-2008, 05:36 PM

TCQ is due for three round trippers tonight.......

getonbckthr
05-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Someone should ask Jim Hendry if the $50,000 he sold Josh to Cincinatti for was worth it? I guess considering Edmonds is making $280,000 and Reed Johnson is making like 1.5 million total the Cubs lost 1.73 million dollars and a possible triple crown threat.

jabrch
05-22-2008, 06:18 PM
Cubs get $50K.
Reds get Edinson Volquez
Rangers get Hamilton

2 winners, one loser...

SoxNation05
05-22-2008, 08:53 PM
I was at a Cubs vs. Reds game last year.I was speaking with a Cubs fan and after 10 minutes I actually thougt he wasn't that bad. I then asked him if he knew why Hamilton wasn't playing. He told me "He took a sad trip back to rehab". I later found out that was bull.

Hitmenof77
05-23-2008, 12:46 AM
I root for him because when he was in the minors, Bakersfield, Cal League, he was very cool. He stayed and signed everything for everybody. He tossed baseballs to kids and just handled his fame so well.

I was shocked he got involved with drugs to that extent. I figured maybe smoked a joint once in awhile. But don't a junkie.

RockJock07
05-23-2008, 01:43 AM
Hamilton is a beast, and unlike alot of sluggers, his average is very good. TCQ's on base % is better, and probably has as much talent as Josh does. It will be interesting to see how both these guys will do as the season progresses.