PDA

View Full Version : FISK WHITE SOX TIMELINE/Happy Welcome Back Fisk Night!

StatManDu
05-22-2008, 08:19 AM
CARLTON FISK WHITE SOX TIMELINE

Feb. 12, 1981: An arbitrator declared Carlton Fisk a free agent paving "Pudge's" way to sign with the White Sox. Arbitrator Raymond Goetz upheld the Players Association's claim that Fisk should be free based on the fact that the Red Sox mailed the All-Star catcher his contract two days after the Dec. 20 deadline. This set in motion the White Sox’s pursuit of Fisk, which would culminate with his signing March 10.

March 10, 1981: In one of the great moves in the history of the franchise, the Sox new ownership group of Jerry Reinsdorf and Eddie Einhorn signed Fisk giving their regime instant credibility. Fisk became a free agent when the Boston Red Sox failed to postmark his contract. The Sox literally camped out on Fisk’s doorstep in getting him to agree to a $3 million contract.

April 10, 1981: In his White Sox debut and in the stadium he called home for the previous 10 seasons, Fisk launched a dramatic three-run homer in the eighth inning that gave the Sox the lead for good in a 5-3 win over the Boston Red Sox on Opening Day at Fenway Park.

April 14, 1981: In his White Sox home debut, Fisk thrilled an Opening Day crowd of 51,560 with a grand slam in a 9-3 triumph of the Milwaukee Brewers.

Jan. 8, 1986: The White Sox signed Fisk, who had filed for free agency the previous Nov. 12, to a two-year contract. This was the second of five contracts the future Hall of Famer would sign with the Sox.

June 15, 1983: A fifth-inning RBI triple fronted the Sox for good in a 5-2 win at Anaheim. The hit came with Fisk starting in the No. 2 spot and ignited a streak which would see him hit .329 the rest of way in leading the White Sox to the A.L. West title.

Aug. 30, 1983: Fisk hit the only inside-the-park homer of his White Sox career in a 5-0 win over the Texas Rangers at Comiskey Park. Fisk victimized Dave Stewart with two out in the fifth inning.

May 16, 1984: A first inning double, second inning single, fourth inning home run and a seventh inning triple made Fisk just the third White Sox player to hit for the cycle and the first to do it at Comiskey Park. Despite the history, the Sox lost to the Royals 7-6.

May 30, 1985: Fisk hit the second of his two roof shot home runs at Comiskey Park. On this date, Fisk victimized the Royals’ Charlie Leibrandt. Fisk’s first roofer came Aug. 1, 1984 off Boston’s Bob Ojeda.

June 19, 1985: Fisk swiped second and third base in the second inning of the White Sox 8-7 win over Oakland at Comiskey Park. Fisk stole a career-high 17 bases in 1985.

Aug. 2, 1985: Fisk tagged out both Bobby Meacham and Dale Berra on the same play at the plate in the seventh inning of the White Sox 5-3 win at Yankee Stadium.

Aug. 4, 1985: Fisk was behind the plate for Tom Seaver’s 300th career victory – a 4-1 White Sox win at Yankee Stadium. Fisk scored the go-ahead run in the sixth in Seaver’s complete game effort.

Sept. 25, 1985: Fisk tied Dick Allen’s 1972 franchise record with his 37th home run of the season. The solo shot came off Ron Romanick in a 7-4 loss at California. The home run was also Fisk’s 33rd while playing catcher, breaking Lance Parrish’s 1982 league record for roundtrippers at the position.

Aug. 19, 1988: Fisk caught his 1,807th American League game, setting the record in that category. He celebrated the occasion with his first career five-hit game.

June 21, 1989: Fisk cracked his 307th home run as a catcher, passing the Yankees’ Yogi Berra as the American League’s all-time leader in that department. Fisk accomplished the feat in a 7-3 win in Berra's old stomping grounds of Yankee Stadium.

July 17, 1989: Fisk collected his 2,000th hit – a 28 bouncer up the middle – before an appreciative crowd at Comiskey Park. The milestone came off the Yankees’ Andy Hawkins, the same pitcher he hit his record homer off of about a month earlier in the Bronx.

May 22, 1990: Fisk scolded and lectured the Yankees’ Deion Sanders on Yankee Pride at homeplate during the Sox 5-2 loss to New York. Fisk’s lecture was apparently over Sanders’ lack of hustle and his lackadaisical demeanor on baseball’s hallowed ground and prompted both benches to clear but no punches were thrown.

Aug. 17, 1990: With one swing of the bat, Fisk became the most prolific home run-hitting catcher in big league history and the White Sox all-time home run leader. Fisk’s second-inning homer off Charlie Hough in Texas gave him 328 as a catcher and 187 with the White Sox. He eclipsed Johnny Bench’s mark for catchers and Harold Baines’ White Sox record. The historic homer came in the White Sox 4-2 win.

Sept. 3, 1990: Fisk hit the last of his 87 home runs at the original Comiskey Park in a 4-2 win over the Kansas City Royals before 25,236 on the Southside. Fisk finished tied for second all-time in Old Comiskey Park home runs with Harold Baines, one behind leader Bill Melton. Twenty-seven days later, Fisk would start the final game at the old park behind the plate and go 0-for-4.

Oct. 3, 1990: Fisk collected two hits in the season finale at Boston’s Fenway Park to raise his average to .285. He tied Lance Johnson for the team lead in average becoming the only catcher in team history to lead or share the lead in that category.

June 3, 1991: Fisk hit his first home run at New Comiskey Park. The blast came off future Hall of Famer Dennis Eckersley of the Oakland A’s.

July 9, 1991: Fisk made his fourth and final All-Star team as a member of the White Sox and his 11th and last overall. … Joined Yogi Berra and Johnny Bench as the only catchers to play in at least 10 All-Star Games (Fisk did not play in the 1974 game because of an injury). … Replaced Sandy Alomar Jr. at catcher in the fifth inning to become the oldest White Sox player, the third-oldest player overall and the oldest American League position player to play in an All-Star Game … Finished the game behind the plate. … Went 1-for-2. … Singled off Pete Harnisch to center with two out in the sixth to become the oldest player (43 years, seven months, 13 days) to hit safely in an All-Star Game. … Handled five chances (all putouts) without an error. … Caught teammate Jack McDowell in the fifth and sixth inning to form the third All-White Sox battery in All-Star history and the first since Duane Josephson caught Tommy John in the 1968 game in Houston. … Tagged out a sliding Will Clark at home for the second out in a scoreless sixth.

Aug. 6, 1991: Fisk hit his 200th home run in a White Sox uniform. The dinger came off the Yankees’ Wade Taylor in a 14-5 win at “new” Comiskey Park.

March 3, 1993: Fisk signed what turned out to be his final contract with the White Sox when he signed a minor league agreement. The 45-year old Fisk entered the season 24 games shy of the all-time games caught record.

April 7, 1993: On his first swing of the season, Fisk socked what turned out to be the final home run of his Hall of Fame career. The blast, the 376th of Fisk’s career, came off Jim Deshaies in the third inning of the Sox 6-1 loss at Minnesota.

June 19, 1993: Fisk notched the 2,356th and final hit of his career – a fifth inning single off Mark Langston in a 5-4 loss at California.

June 22, 1993: Fisk became the all-time leader by catching his 2,226th game in the Sox 3-2 win over Texas before 36,757 at Comiskey Park. Prior to the game, the White Sox presented Fisk with several gifts, including a special-edition Harley-Davidson motorcycle and a $25,000 donation to the Chicago Botanic Garden. Fisk helped give the Sox the lead with a sacrifice in the fifth that led to a run. After Texas tied the game in the sixth, Lance Johnson drove in the winning run with a two-out single in the ninth. Six days later, the Sox released Fisk.

Sept. 14, 1997: The White Sox retired Fisk’s No. 72 in a ceremony at New Comiskey Park. He became the eighth Sox player (ninth overall including Jackie Robinson’s No. 42) to have his number retired. The others: Nellie Fox, Harold Baines, Luke Appling, Minnie Minoso, Luis Aparicio, Ted Lyons and Billy Pierce.

Jan. 11, 2000: On his second try, Fisk earned enough votes for induction into the Hall of Fame. “Pudge” received 397 votes or 79.56 in voting by members of the Baseball Writers Association of America. Fisk easily exceeded the 75 percent needed to qualify.

July 23, 2000: Fisk was inducted into the Hall of Fame in a ceremony in Cooperstown, N.Y. He became the 24th player and 32nd person overall with ties to the White Sox to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

Aug. 7, 2005: The White Sox unveiled a a life-sized bronze statue of Fisk at U.S. Cellular Field. The statue is located on the main concourse in left field.

May 13, 2008: The White Sox appointed Fisk as a team ambassador.

May 22, 2008: Welcome Back Carlton Fisk Night celebrated at U.S. Cellular Field.

October26
05-22-2008, 08:34 AM
Thank you, Statmandu - this is wonderful!

Evman5
05-22-2008, 08:44 AM
I have been told before, but what was the incident that put Fisk on bad terms with the White Sox? I was pretty young when it happened. Was it his release?

SaltyPretzel
05-22-2008, 09:38 AM
I have been told before, but what was the incident that put Fisk on bad terms with the White Sox? I was pretty young when it happened. Was it his release?

He wasn't happy about the release, but what really ticked him off was that the Sox wouldn't allow him into the locker room before their playoff series against the Blue Jays.

SoxGirl4Life
05-22-2008, 09:44 AM
Wow... brings back lots of wonderful memories. Thank you!

soxfan21
05-22-2008, 11:13 AM
I was only 9 at the time that he was released, but I remember it pretty well and also remember that I hated Kark as a kid because I thought it was his fault that Fisk was leaving.

wilburaga
05-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Really good stuff - thanks.

W

tacosalbarojas
05-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Great stuff indeed. IIRC, the '97 game where Fisk was honored was also the infamous day that Bevington called for a reliever with no one warming and Foulke had to come in just to walk someone intentionally so we could get someone warmed up to actually come in and pitch.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Great stuff indeed. IIRC, the '97 game where Fisk was honored was also the infamous day that Bevington called for a reliever with no one warming and Foulke had to come in just to walk someone intentionally so we could get someone warmed up to actually come in and pitch.

You are correct! As Bevington was walking towards the mound you could hear him yell Foulke! to the bullpen. Unless he saying something that sounded like Foulke which could very well have been the case. :redneck

Where is Terry Bevington these days? He used to write the prettiest lineup cards. I remember the TV cameras would show them and they were very legible.

doublem23
05-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Where is Terry Bevington these days? He used to write the prettiest lineup cards. I remember the TV cameras would show them and they were very legible.

He's managaing the Shreveport Sports of the American Association of Independent Professional Baseball League.

http://www.americanassociationbaseball.com/staff/bevington.php

RadioheadRocks
05-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Speaking of Fisk, FuzzyMemories has just posted the 1984 Pizza Hut commercial with Fisk and Richard Dotson featuring their White Sox placemats.

Follow the link and enjoy!!! http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/screen.php?c=1383&m=&p=1

TomBradley72
05-22-2008, 03:55 PM
What about the Fisk as Left Fielder era?

chisox117
05-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Speaking of Fisk, FuzzyMemories has just posted the 1984 Pizza Hut commercial with Fisk and Richard Dotson featuring their White Sox placemats.

Follow the link and enjoy!!! http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/screen.php?c=1383&m=&p=1

Thanks for posting that link. I still have my set of those placemats!

KnightSox
05-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Correct me if a I am wrong, but isn't the Fisk festivities going to be broadcasted tonight on Comcast?

soxpride724
05-22-2008, 04:35 PM
He wasn't happy about the release, but what really ticked him off was that the Sox wouldn't allow him into the locker room before their playoff series against the Blue Jays.

Does anyone know why he wasn't granted access to the clubhouse? Now I don't blame him for pushing for the bosox when we played them in the ALDS.
On another note, I've always liked Fisk. I just picked up a retro jersey of his from 83.

beasly213
05-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Does anyone know exactly what he said to Neon Deion at Yankee Stadium?

VeeckAsInWreck
05-22-2008, 05:23 PM
Found this on youtube

Y-XLuSF5ny0

LongLiveFisk
05-22-2008, 07:19 PM
What about the Fisk as Left Fielder era?

Oh my God--THAT was horrible. It was Hawk Harrelson's idea to prolong Pudge's career. I liked Fisk's comment about that (something along the lines of): "He said it was to prolong my career, and I was already 38. What did he think I was going to do, play until I was 60 or something?" :lol:

I remember sitting down the 3rd base line a couple of times back in '86 when he was playing left. He looked very uncomfortable out there, and the fans didn't help by yelling for his attention constantly. (I know because I was one of them. :redface: :tongue:)

LongLiveFisk
05-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Aug. 2, 1985: Fisk tagged out both Bobby Meacham and Dale Berra on the same play at the plate in the seventh inning of the White Sox 5-3 win at Yankee Stadium.
Aug. 4, 1985: Fisk was behind the plate for Tom Seaver’s 300th career victory – a 4-1 White Sox win at Yankee Stadium. Fisk scored the go-ahead run in the sixth in Seaver’s complete game effort.

The former was one of the coolest plays I ever saw in baseball.

The latter was also a great memory. An exciting weekend in New York, to say the least! :cool:

Medford Bobby
05-22-2008, 09:46 PM
Some fun baseball talk for a couple innings between Farmio & Stone with Carlton. I like those 1970's baseball memories........:bandance:

Illini Stripes
05-22-2008, 10:46 PM
Did anyone catch the group photo from tonight's broadcast...maybe 7th inning (Fisk, Ozzie, Cora, Harold, etc). Who was the guy far left...brown jacket...looked really old?

October26
05-22-2008, 11:03 PM
Did anyone catch the group photo from tonight's broadcast...maybe 7th inning (Fisk, Ozzie, Cora, Harold, etc). Who was the guy far left...brown jacket...looked really old?

I believe the gentleman in the brown jacket was Mr. Roland Hemond, the Sox general manager at the time that Fisk signed with the Sox in 1981.

Oldfellah
05-22-2008, 11:12 PM
What a bunch of great memories from your bat Fisk! Welcome Back Home!!

Lip Man 1
05-22-2008, 11:39 PM
Nicely done pregame with Carlton. It was wonderful to see Roland there as well.

Regarding Fisk, Donn Pall in his WSI Interview explained what happened that night before Game #1 of the 93 ALCS. He was right next to Pudge when it happened. Plus he had some other memories of him:

ML: Let’s talk about Carlton Fisk. This was a guy you grew up watching, what was it like to pitch to him?

DP: "Greg Hibbard said it best one time. He said that when Carlton was behind the plate, it was like having a ‘cheat sheet’ during an exam. You didn’t have to think, just pitch. I admired him, we all did. He played the game the way it was supposed to be played and he expected you to play it the same way. I remember an at bat against Robin Yount. Carlton wanted a fast ball inside...strike one. He wanted another fast ball inside... strike two. I’m thinking ‘OK, he’s set up, now I’ll throw the split finger / forkball,’ but Carlton wanted still another inside fast ball. I shook him off, but he nodded his head up and down and I wasn’t going to shake him off a second time. I threw what he wanted and broke Yount’s bat, easy out. I learned about shaking off Carlton! One time we were in Cleveland and Brook Jacoby was hitting. I shook off Carlton and threw the pitch I wanted, and Jacoby hit it out of the park!"

ML: In June the Sox made what turned out to be a major public relations disaster when they released Fisk while the Sox were in Cleveland. Compounding the problem was that they didn’t even hold a press conference to announce it, they sent faxes to the local media. Tell me what happened that day and how Carlton reacted to it and for that matter what the feeling was a few days earlier on "Carlton Fisk Night" at Comiskey Park after he broke the record for games caught.

DP: "When we had that night for him I turned out to be the winning pitcher when we beat the Rangers in extra innings. I got Carlton to sign the game ball from that night. Bo Jackson went around asking guys if they’d donate five hundred dollars each and we surprised Pudge by getting him a motorcycle which Bo drove to home plate during the ceremonies. After the game the guys had a big party right in the clubhouse. It was great! Later that evening guys went out on the field and started running around and sliding into the bases just like you saw in "Bull Durham." The party went so long into the night that a lot of the guys stayed and slept in the clubhouse because we had an afternoon game the next day! That night is something I won’t forget."

"As far as Pudge having lost it, I don’t agree with that at all. He still worked very hard but the problem was he was only playing maybe once a week and when you are at that age, not playing causes you to lose your skills quickly. He and Gene (Lamont) (Author’s Note: then Sox manager), didn’t get along at all and it started one day when Pudge got thrown out for arguing balls and strikes with an ump. He must have been out there two or three minutes and during that entire time, Gene never came out of the dugout! I mean managers always come out to defend their players and Gene didn’t do that. I lost some respect for him that day and I’m sure the other guys did as well."

"We had heard rumblings that something could be happening but it was a poor decision on the part of the Sox to wait until we were in Cleveland before doing something. I mean why have Pudge get on the plane if you’re going to release him? That morning Ron Schueler called him and told him the Sox let him go. That night we’re at the game and Pudge is sitting in the stands yelling at us! He was saying stuff like "you guys suck!" and everybody got a big laugh out of it."

"I talked to Pudge and he told me he was going to go way out in center field for the rest of the game. I asked him why and he said he was going to sit next to the guy who used to beat on that drum! Pudge said ‘every time I’ve come in here that guy was beating his drum and it drove me nuts, so tonight I’m going to sit next to him,’ and he did. He bought the guy a few beers and had a great time."

ML: In another incredible public relations blunder you and Fisk were turned away by security guards before Game #1 of the ALCS. I guess you just wanted to say ‘hello’ to the guys didn’t you?

DP: "We got to the game early and yes we tried to get in the clubhouse. The security guards who were there, they were the regular guys that had been there all season. When we tried to go in for a moment, the guard said that major league baseball ordered that we couldn’t come in. I thought he was pretty embarrassed about it because he kept kind of shifting his weight from one foot to another and looking down. He said that he felt really bad about it. I thought it was ridiculous. I mean we weren’t agents or a relative of a player, we were players. I could understand about me but how could you not allow Fisk, the guy who was the captain of the team, to come in for a minute and wish everybody luck?"

"Pudge left the park and I followed him into the parking lot for awhile. I had tickets to the game so I could get back in but Carlton didn’t have any. He was furious and I think he never forgot about it. I mean come on, somebody couldn’t have invited him up into a luxury box or get him a seat?"

Plus here are the details on Carlton's famous "two for the price of one play..."

August 2, 1985- An incredible weekend in New York starts with perhaps the most unusual play in White Sox history. With Britt Burnson the mound, Rickey Henderson slams a double to left center over the head of Luis Salazar. Yankee base runners Bobby Meacham and Dale Berra get confused because it looked like Salazar might have been able to make the catch. Meacham stumbles running the bases and is nearly passed by Berra. Both runners get hung up and attempt to score as Salazar’s relay throw is caught by Ozzie Guillen and fired to Carlton Fisk at the plate. Fisk then tags out and knocks down BOTHMeacham and Berra one / two as they attempt to score. That’s two for the price of one at home plate! To cap things off the Sox win the game 6-5 in 11 innings.

I have the NBC audio of that play because it was the Friday Night Game Of The Week with Vin Scully on the call.

Regarding the incident with Deion reportedly Fisk yelled at him, "run it out you piece of ****..."

Lip

Nellie_Fox
05-23-2008, 01:24 AM
Regarding the incident with Deion reportedly Fisk yelled at him, "run it out you piece of ****..."

Lip...as Deion stood at home plate after hitting an infield popup. To which Deion reportedly said "the days of slavery are over." Fisk then apparently gave him a lecture about playing the game the right way, and offered to kick his ass right there at home plate in Yankee Stadium if that's what Deion would like. The general consensus is that, had it happened, no one would have come out of the Yankee dugout to save Deion.

StatManDu
05-23-2008, 08:00 AM
I have the transcript of what was said between Fisk and Sanders as it appeared in the next day's Sun-Times. I'll see if I can dig it out and post it.

havelj
05-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Any video of Fisk, Bo and Kittle on their bikes last night? Can't find any.

Sox83Kid
05-23-2008, 11:25 AM

Ahh, the memories! That was back when Pizza Hut was actually good!:tongue:

peeonwrigley
05-23-2008, 11:26 AM
It was good to have him back, and the video and having past teammates on hand (always cool to see Bo) was nice.

However, them riding motorcycles out to "Holding out for a Hero" was cringe-worthy. I felt bad for Fisk at that moment.

Stoky44
05-23-2008, 12:27 PM
I hope no one takes this the wrong way but I do not understand why there was another Fisk night. How many players get 3 nights dedicated to them by one of their former teams since retirement. I get the night when they retired his number deserved, I get the statue night. But why have another one last night? I just don't get it. To welcome him back to the team for a job that really is not well defined. Has he not been welcomed back at the statue night? I mean to put 72 behind the plate and everything? I just don't get it. There are a ton of great former White Sox players who have never gotten 3 nights at the park.

How many nights will Frank Thomas get?

Also was that the same Harley that Bo Jackson presented Fisk on the celebration of most games caught?

I don't dislike Fisk by any means. I just really don't understand why he had another night at the park.