PDA

View Full Version : Cameron's HR's

Viva Magglio
05-03-2002, 12:12 AM
When Mike Cameron hit No. 4 tonight, I became quite :angry: when our fans gave him a standing ovation. I realized at the time that the fourth home run was historic with the game well out of hand by then, and I am not taking anything away from Cameron. Nevertheless, this happened at my team's expense. My attitide was that if Jesus Christ hit four home runs against us I wouldn't give Him a standing ovation.

However, my attitude somewhat waned as the game dragged on. I only stayed until the ninth only because I wanted to be on hand in case Cameron hits No. 5. I am still divided whether cheering for Cameron was the right thing to do. Part of me is still pissed that our fans cheered for him; part of me thought our fans showed class in recognizing a historic achievement.

However, in the grand scheme of things, we are now in second place. We BETTER win tomorrow.

Bucktown
05-03-2002, 12:15 AM
It just showed me that Sox fans appreciate great baseball and understood they were seeing something special. I thought it was cool.

PS - I think JC would have bunted to move over the runners. He is a selfless player.

duke of dorwood
05-03-2002, 12:20 AM
I was there and didnt diss those that applauded. It was history-something for 12,000 freezing souls to justify their being there tonight. He loves giving it to us-and our "pitchers" sure made it easy. I stayed only to see if he'd get 5-and almost did.

Cheryl
05-03-2002, 11:53 AM
It was history, and Sox fans are smart enough to know that. I was at a game in Camden where the Jndjans turned a triple play, and the Oriole fans gave them a brief standing O, even though it was against their team. I think it shows some class when you give it up for the opposing team if they've done something special.

Nobody was throwing the damn homerun balls back, where they?

voodoochile
05-03-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
It just showed me that Sox fans appreciate great baseball and understood they were seeing something special. I thought it was cool.

PS - I think JC would have bunted to move over the runners. He is a selfless player.

With no one on base, JC would have been bunting for a hit - all of Cameron's shots were solo...

voodoochile
05-03-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
It was history, and Sox fans are smart enough to know that. I was at a game in Camden where the Jndjans turned a triple play, and the Oriole fans gave them a brief standing O, even though it was against their team. I think it shows some class when you give it up for the opposing team if they've done something special.

Nobody was throwing the damn homerun balls back, where they?

Man, I hope not... Can you imagine being the idiot who threw one of them back? The way memorabilia is soaring in value, those 4 balls together would be worth several thousand dollars probably.

I remember when Mike Schmidt did it to the Flubbies back in the 70's. He just feasted on that team... I don't think the throw it back stuff started until later, but I could be wrong. Still throwing back a homerun from a player like Schmidt? You just know some idiots threw back some of McGwire's shots in the early part of '98. Man they feel like idiots now...

moochpuppy
05-03-2002, 12:09 PM
I felt the complete opposite. I was very proud of the way our fans gave him his props on a historical night. That shows class, that shows baseball knowledge, that shows those smucks on the Northside what being a baseball fan is all about.

But does anyone write about that in this mornings newspapers?......HELL NO!!!!!! :angry:

Viva Magglio
05-03-2002, 12:15 PM
Suppose Sam-ME were to hit four home runs against us at a ballgame? How do you think our fans would react compared to how they reacted to Cameron?

Cheryl
05-03-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Suppose Sam-ME were to hit four home runs against us at a ballgame? How do you think our fans would react compared to how they reacted to Cameron?

Don't push this civility thing too hard here, okay?

LuvChiSox
05-03-2002, 12:40 PM
I have to agree with Viva--historic or not, those HRs came at our Sox' expense. And if the game had been close, I might not have felt as badly....15-4 is embarrassing! Our pitchers looked like crap and now the story is all over the US. Thank goodness Cameron didn't hit 5--then the Sox would be forever known and given the dubious distinction of being the team that handed over the most HRs to a player. Sorry, but if the Sox want respect this is not the way to do it.

Having said all that, I'm glad that the fans showed some class. Kind of takes the sting out of recent events at Sox park.

Iwritecode
05-03-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by LuvChiSox
Having said all that, I'm glad that the fans showed some class. Kind of takes the sting out of recent events at Sox park.

I have to admit, it's easier to show class knowing that you've already won the series...

hold2dibber
05-03-2002, 01:14 PM
I was proud of the Sox fans there cheering for Cameron last night. The game was out of hand, it was truly historic, and Cameron is a former Sox player who always keeps his mouth shut and plays hard. It would have been different if the game was close (or if it was Sosa), but under the circumstances, he deserved the tribute.

alohafri
05-03-2002, 01:16 PM
Thank goodness Cameron didn't hit 5--then the Sox would be forever known and given the dubious distinction of being the team that handed over the most HRs to a player. Sorry, but if the Sox want respect this is not the way to do it.

Nah, nobody remembers that stuff. No one remembers that it was the Cubs who Mike Schmidt hit four off of. :D:

alohafri
05-03-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown

If it had been at Wrigley, the fans would have left after Sosa's last at bat and missed Cameron's attempt at number 5. Heck, they would leave after Sosa's last at bat if Todd Hundley was going for number 5!
:rocked I hope you kept my locker clean, Parque.

voodoochile
05-03-2002, 01:24 PM
I have to agree with Viva--historic or not, those HRs came at our Sox' expense. And if the game had been close, I might not have felt as badly....15-4 is embarrassing! Our pitchers looked like crap and now the story is all over the US. Thank goodness Cameron didn't hit 5--then the Sox would be forever known and given the dubious distinction of being the team that handed over the most HRs to a player. Sorry, but if the Sox want respect this is not the way to do it.

Let's put just a little perspective on those HR's. He hit them against Parque and Rauch. Butter only was here because he was acting the ass. Rauch should have never been on the team (hindsight is 20/20). In effect Cameron hit them against two AAA (at best) pitchers - both still recovering from arm surgery. Not trying to take anything away from Cameron, but pointing out that it isn't like he lit up Buehrle or Ritchie for those shots.

In the end, it is one loss. Personally I would be a lot more upset if the Sox pitchers gave up 4 HR's to him and lost 10-9. I'd be screaming about why we didn't walk him or plunk him. 15-4 you can at least appreciate just the beauty of what Cameron did. It is a rare feat - one of the rarest in baseball. Props to him... It's the same thing if you get no-hit. You tip your hat and say well done. It happens to all teams eventually - not the 4-HR's obviously, but there have been plenty of guys who have hit 3 in one game. When a player is that hot, you just shake your head and walk away...

Personally I blame Kermit - he voted for him for the AS game...

:kermit

Cheryl
05-03-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LuvChiSox
. Thank goodness Cameron didn't hit 5--then the Sox would be forever known and given the dubious distinction of being the team that handed over the most HRs to a player. Sorry, but if the Sox want respect this is not the way to do it.

Nah, nobody remembers that stuff. No one remembers that it was the Cubs who Mike Schmidt hit four off of. :D:

Like nobody remembers Andy Hawkins throwing that no hitter and losing to the Sox either.

Iwritecode
05-03-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Let's put just a little perspective on those HR's. He hit them against Parque and Rauch. Butter only was here because he was acting the ass. Rauch should have never been on the team (hindsight is 20/20). In effect Cameron hit them against two AAA (at best) pitchers - both still recovering from arm surgery. Not trying to take anything away from Cameron, but pointing out that it isn't like he lit up Buehrle or Ritchie for those shots.

In the end, it is one loss. Personally I would be a lot more upset if the Sox pitchers gave up 4 HR's to him and lost 10-9. I'd be screaming about why we didn't walk him or plunk him. 15-4 you can at least appreciate just the beauty of what Cameron did. It is a rare feat - one of the rarest in baseball. Props to him... It's the same thing if you get no-hit. You tip your hat and say well done. It happens to all teams eventually - not the 4-HR's obviously, but there have been plenty of guys who have hit 3 in one game. When a player is that hot, you just shake your head and walk away...

Personally I blame Kermit - he voted for him for the AS game...

Well said. Just don't tell that to the M's fans... :smile:

It's also, good to know that we just took 2 of 3 against the best team in baseball (as far as wins and losses so far). If we can come back and do the same thing against Oakland this weekend we will be in good shape.