PDA

View Full Version : Fan Falls to Death at Turner Field

soxfanatlanta
05-22-2008, 08:01 AM
Link (http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/stories/2008/05/21/fanfall_0522.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab)

If you have never been to Turner Field, it is a long way down from the upper deck.

Just senseless.

turners56
05-22-2008, 08:16 AM
Alcoholism takes lives. Especially when you're drinking in the upper deck.

fquaye149
05-22-2008, 09:56 AM
the article says "alcohol may have been involved" not that the victim was an alcoholic.

Red Barchetta
05-22-2008, 10:07 AM
the article says "alcohol may have been involved" not that the victim was an alcoholic.

I agree. Let's not assume this guy was some slobbering drunk. It appears by the description that by riding the rail he simply had poor judgement. It's very tragic. No one deserves to die by attending a ball game. Drinking or not.

I was actually watching the game last night and turned it off after the Braves took a commanding lead. I was watching Chipper Jones bat and after he got hit by a pitch I turned it off knowing he was out of the game. It must have happened shortly thereafter.

There have been times when I was in the Upper Deck at the Cell and noticed that the small baby concrete steps are tough to navigate, beer or no beer. I am honestly surprised no one has tumbled down those steps after a few pops.

Anyone remember that video clip from the late 70s/early 80s where the TV cameras caught on film the guy who flipped over the upper deck railing and was able to catch himself by grapping the railing. His buddies then pulled him back to his seat. I forget what ballpark it was.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Anyone remember that video clip from the late 70s/early 80s where the TV cameras caught on film the guy who flipped over the upper deck railing and was able to catch himself by grapping the railing. His buddies then pulled him back to his seat. I forget what ballpark it was.

It was at Riverfront Stadium. I have an old baseball bloopers tape and it was on it. That guy actually held on with one hand and miraculously held on.

michned
05-22-2008, 04:37 PM
It was at Riverfront Stadium. I have an old baseball bloopers tape and it was on it. That guy actually held on with one hand and miraculously held on.

I remember the rest of the story was that he was an all-state high school football player and it was his athleticism that really saved him.

BRDSR
05-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Anybody remember the kid who fell off the upperdeck when the Sox were at Yankee Stadium a few years back and landed in the netting behind the backstop? Guy looked scared senseless, but couldn't decide whether to cry or crap his pants. I think it was '05, maybe '06.

DumpJerry
05-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Anybody remember the kid who fell off the upperdeck when the Sox were at Yankee Stadium a few years back and landed in the netting behind the backstop? Guy looked scared senseless, but couldn't decide whether to cry or crap his pants. I think it was '05, maybe '06.
He didn't fall, he jumped to prove something to his buddies (like he's the dumbest one in the group?). He's lucky he did not land on a tear or hole in the netting or the Yankees did not use razor wire for the netting....

Gavin
05-23-2008, 12:17 AM
He didn't fall, he jumped to prove something to his buddies (like he's the dumbest one in the group?). He's lucky he did not land on a tear or hole in the netting or the Yankees did not use razor wire for the netting....

The most frustrating 20 minutes of mlb gameday ever.

Jerry Seinfeld
05-23-2008, 12:33 AM
Didn't this happen a few months back at Shea? Must be a NL East thing.

SOXfnNlansing
05-23-2008, 12:42 PM
I remember that guy at Soldier Field who jumped into the net to catch the extra point on MNF:o:

VeeckAsInWreck
05-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Didn't this happen a few months back at Shea? Must be a NL East thing.

The guy at Shea fell off an escalator and there were reports that he may have been playing on it as well.

mrfourni
05-23-2008, 02:16 PM
I remember that guy at Soldier Field who jumped into the net to catch the extra point on MNF:o:

I don't think he jumped into the net. I think he jumped into the tunnell leading to the locker rooms, and fell about 30 feet. It was an amazing catch, but if it happened nowadays he would have been arrested. Instead he ended up on letterman.

Law11
05-23-2008, 02:28 PM
I don't think he jumped into the net. I think he jumped into the tunnell leading to the locker rooms, and fell about 30 feet. It was an amazing catch, but if it happened nowadays he would have been arrested. Instead he ended up on letterman.

Mike Pantanzis was the guys name. My cousin worked with the guy at the merc.