PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Laffey Particulars

kjhanson
05-22-2008, 01:32 AM
Looking ahead to tomorrow night's matchup against the Indians it'll be Aaron Laffey against Buehrle.

On the year, Laffey is 2-2, 1.35/0.86. He's gone 7 innings in each of his last three starts, yielding just one unearned run, which scored on his own error. He's yet to give up a home run in 26.2 innings of work. Fortunately, we have the slight advantage of having seen him last August. Though he worked 5 2/3 innings for the win, we did haver moderate success against him. He gave up 4 earned and walked a career high three batters, while giving up one of only two home runs hit against him in more than 75 innings of work.

Basic book on him is that he throws a lot of strikes, works quickly and induces a lot of groundballs. He uses his slider and sinker effectively down in the zone, and most reports I've read have him throwing fastballs in the mid 80s. Seems like a guy that will just frustrate the hell out of you and as a fan you want to scream "just be patient instead of beating something into the dirt". However, as I mentioned, he throws a lot of strikes, and despite not being a strikeout pitcher, he has a very formidable K:BB ratio.

I'd really like to get that sweep tomorrow, so let's hope we can string together some good at-bats tomorrow nite and get a win for our own soft-tossing left-hander.

HomeFish
05-22-2008, 01:51 AM
Used to be that if I saw that Mark Buehrle was starting, I would be confident, and if I saw that our 4th or 5th starter was starting, I would not be confident. Now it's the other way around. :scratch:

pmck003
05-22-2008, 02:08 AM
Knock on wood, but with the way the Indians are hitting, they might be what Buehrle needs to get on track.

DrCrawdad
05-22-2008, 02:10 AM
Used to be that if I saw that Mark Buehrle was starting, I would be confident, and if I saw that our 4th or 5th starter was starting, I would not be confident. Now it's the other way around. :scratch:

Memories are not always accurate, and I know that to be the case with me, but it seems that MB has not done well against the Indians in the past.

HomeFish
05-22-2008, 02:22 AM
Memories are not always accurate, and I know that to be the case with me, but it seems that MB has not done well against the Indians in the past.

The last Buehrle start vs. CLE I attended was Opening Day 2005, so I think my memory cuts the other way on that one. But he's been downright terrible this year, regardless of who he's playing.

JermaineDye05
05-22-2008, 02:28 AM
The last Buehrle start vs. CLE I attended was Opening Day 2005, so I think my memory cuts the other way on that one. But he's been downright terrible this year, regardless of who he's playing.

Yeah even when he pitched against the Tigers and especially when he pitched against the Giants last time out.

On a serious note he has had a tough season, hopefully he can have another good start against the Indians. I was pleased with him beating the Giants considering that was a team he should have beat. Tomorrow will be a bigger test for Buehrle. The good news is we've already taken the series but I sure as heck wouldn't mind a sweep of the Indians.

TDog
05-22-2008, 03:16 AM
Yeah even when he pitched against the Tigers and especially when he pitched against the Giants last time out.

On a serious note he has had a tough season, hopefully he can have another good start against the Indians. I was pleased with him beating the Giants considering that was a team he should have beat. Tomorrow will be a bigger test for Buehrle. The good news is we've already taken the series but I sure as heck wouldn't mind a sweep of the Indians.

Buehrle pitched well against the Blue Jays, too, after giving up two unearned runs in the first. I argued that the unearned runs were his fault, but he still pitched well.

Against the Giants, he didn't give up a hit with a runner in scoring position. In the seventh he got in trouble, and the bullpen got out of it and shut down the Giants the rest of the way.

I wouldn't call Buehrle downright terrible this season.

Tonight, even when the Sox were down 2-0, I liked their chances. Cleveland has been pitching very well, but the White Sox have been pitching better. This week, they have been hitting better than the Indians, too.

lukeman89
05-22-2008, 03:57 AM
Knock on wood, but with the way the Indians are hitting, they might be what Buehrle needs to get on track.

or buehrle might be what THEY need to get back on track:scratch:

turners56
05-22-2008, 08:20 AM
I remember he pitched against the Yankees and had a no hitter going into the 6th. The Yanks ended up scoring 6 in the 6th and won 6-2.

Scottiehaswheels
05-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Memories are not always accurate, and I know that to be the case with me, but it seems that MB has not done well against the Indians in the past.Well just based on Fatbathia's record against us, I would assume you are correct, as more often than not the matchup tends to be him against Mark.

cws05champ
05-22-2008, 09:07 AM
This has 2 hour 20 minute game written all over it. Two pitchers that work fast and throw strikes. Hopefully it's a White Sox Winner!!

RockyMtnSoxFan
05-22-2008, 02:53 PM
A soft tossing lefty that the Sox aren't familiar with? :o:

Sounds scary to me, but their offense isn't doing too well right now. This is a big test for Mark, IMO. Time to step up and earn that new contract, and prove to everyone that the Sox are contenders for the division.

BadBobbyJenks
05-22-2008, 04:55 PM
A soft tossing lefty that the Sox aren't familiar with? :o:

Sounds scary to me, but their offense isn't doing too well right now. This is a big test for Mark, IMO. Time to step up and earn that new contract, and prove to everyone that the Sox are contenders for the division.

I have not seen Laffey yet so the first thing I did when I saw the pitching matchups this series was to check if he was a lefty. Hopefully he will walk a few before a home run otherwise Buehrle is going to have to be in top form. I anticipate this game to be a quick low scoring game that will erase last night's offensive performance in a lot of Sox fans' minds.