PDA

View Full Version : Yankees get desperate, Joba to rotation.

Sockinchisox
05-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Girardi announced it tonight.

SoXPriDe33
05-21-2008, 11:45 PM
Chamberlain needs to be stretched out first before he goes to the rotation, so the Yankees are starting to do that now. That's what Girardi said.

Sockinchisox
05-21-2008, 11:51 PM
Chamberlain needs to be stretched out first before he goes to the rotation, so the Yankees are starting to do that now. That's what Girardi said.

Obviously.

He said he's going into the rotation and they're going to stretch him out.

DSpivack
05-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Obviously.

He said he's going into the rotation and they're going to stretch him out.

I believe they also said the 'stretching out' will take place over a matter of a couple weeks. That seems awfully quick, especially for a young pitcher.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-22-2008, 02:38 PM
I believe they also said the 'stretching out' will take place over a matter of a couple weeks.

I think the only stretching out that team has done is on that gold thong they've all worn for "good luck". Makes Bull Durham look like an instructional video. :screwloose:

palehozenychicty
05-22-2008, 03:34 PM
They should've just went ahead and did this in ST, and get somebody to take Mussina during the winter. A team like the Phillies could've used him, and he's a Pennsylvania guy.

The Moose has thrown well recently aside from Tuesday, but Joba has far better upside now. It's a no-brainer.

kraut83
05-22-2008, 04:39 PM
I thought it's been the plan all along to move Joba into the rotation. I could have sworn they were talking about this just after he came up last year. :dunno:

Boondock Saint
05-23-2008, 02:05 AM
I thought it's been the plan all along to move Joba into the rotation. I could have sworn they were talking about this just after he came up last year. :dunno:

It is. I know that they've got a predetermined innings limit for Joba this season, I just don't know whether it's time for him to get his innings as a starter or if they dedided it's time to make a big change to turn their season around.

DSpivack
05-23-2008, 02:25 AM
It is. I know that they've got a predetermined innings limit for Joba this season, I just don't know whether it's time for him to get his innings as a starter or if they dedided it's time to make a big change to turn their season around.

I think it's the latter; the Yankees are scuffling and will do whatever they can to get back in the race, future be damned. No other franchise has as much pressure to win immediately, and thus sacrifice any long-term risk for short-term gain, than does the Yankees.

doublem23
05-23-2008, 02:52 AM
I don't know if it qualifies as desperation when you put your 2nd best starting pitcher in the rotation. :dunno:

MHOUSE
05-25-2008, 02:16 PM
I think they're playing with fire. They had planned to move him into the rotation halfway through the season, then Girardi wanted him in the 8th inning while Hank Steinbrenner wanted him starting ASAP. Now they're making the move in May which seems a little early. I mean if they're one or two games out on September 1st and he's at or near his innings limit, you can't tell me they're going to shut him down.