PDA

View Full Version : Chris Young Leaves with head injury

MHOUSE
05-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Pujols hit a come-backer that got Padres pitcher Chris Young right between the eyes. It looked pretty awful live, but Young popped right up into a sitting position and started bleeding. He might just have a nasty gash and a headache tomorrow, but who knows. Talk about an odd inning as Pujols then came around to slide over Josh Bard's ankle which IMO was an even nastier-looking injury. When did Albert become such a dirty player? That's two catchers he has taken out at home plate this year.

rotoworld has the only news written yet that I could find http://www.rotoworld.com/

voodoochile
05-21-2008, 11:18 PM
Didn't see the slide, but if the catcher was blocking the plate, it's part of the game.

KRS1
05-21-2008, 11:20 PM
When did Albert become such a dirty player? That's two catchers he has taken out at home plate this year.

Having been a catcher for the good part of my playing days, I can honestly say that neither of those plays are dirty.

ondafarm
05-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Injuries happen. It doesn't sound like Pujols was playing dirty. It sounds like the pitcher will be okay, although his bell may have been rung. Any leg injury for a catcher is serious.

05-21-2008, 11:46 PM
I was just listening to this inning on the radio here. The Padres announcers said that both plays were just hard plays and nothing dirty on Pujols fault. What can you do about hitting a line drive between the pitchers eyes?

Sockinchisox
05-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Fractured nose for Young.

ondafarm
05-21-2008, 11:57 PM
Fractured nose for Young.

That's actually good news.

Scottiehaswheels
05-21-2008, 11:59 PM
Konerko/Lucy and Broadway for Gonzalez? I might as well post it, someone else would anyways.

MHOUSE
05-22-2008, 12:06 AM
I only felt the play at home was "dirty", if not simply unnecessary. He could have easily gotten the plate any number of ways without sliding right over Bard's exposed ankle. I'm all for playing hard, but the guy's ankle was the only part of him in the basepath. I guess I took exception because he did the same thing to J.R. Towles a few weeks ago, and I just hate the Cardinals.

And of course I know he didn't try to hit the pitcher in the face, lol! :rolleyes:

Huisj
05-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Lawsuit! Let's ban wooden bats in MLB! Too dangerous!

Actually, in my softball game tonight, one of our pitchers got drilled with a line drive right in the neck. Left a nasty nasty welt on him.

rookiewhitesox
05-22-2008, 12:29 AM
Clean play, not dirty.

FireMariotti
05-22-2008, 01:20 AM
The slide was clean. Pujols had no way of avoiding the catcher's leg as he slid into home.

I felt really bad for Albert after he hit the pitcher. He was visibly shaken up. He also hit like crap for the rest of the game, so I'm sure he just felt awful about it all. I've never seen of heard anything to suggest that Pujols is a dirty player so I don't know where that sentiment comes from.

turners56
05-22-2008, 09:34 AM
That was a brutal hit to the nose, good thing Young is alright.

South Side Irish
05-22-2008, 10:52 AM
I only felt the play at home was "dirty", if not simply unnecessary. He could have easily gotten the plate any number of ways without sliding right over Bard's exposed ankle. I'm all for playing hard, but the guy's ankle was the only part of him in the basepath. I guess I took exception because he did the same thing to J.R. Towles a few weeks ago, and I just hate the Cardinals.

And of course I know he didn't try to hit the pitcher in the face, lol! :rolleyes:

As the consensus here shows, it was a normal play, not dirty. You can make an arguement for the Towles situation last month, but I chalk that up to more of a factor of their rivalry. For example, if Pujols took out the Astros SP and C in the same inning, this would be far more escalated. Pujols isn't a dirty player... I haven't seen him do anything to support that sentiment, either. He's said some foolish things, but I have yet to see him do something dirty on the field.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-22-2008, 11:06 AM
If you haven't seen the plays you can see them here. (http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200805222746276)

VeeckAsInWreck
05-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Didn't see the slide, but if the catcher was blocking the plate, it's part of the game.

I just put the link to the video up. Having watched it, it was a clean slide by Pujols. There was no intent to injure. Albert slid and Bard's foot was covering the plate.

Corlose 15
05-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Before you call Pujols dirty in the replay where Young is hit you can see him and Adrian Gonzalez immediately start to pray for Young as he's on the ground being attended to.

Sounds pretty classless to me.

itsnotrequired
05-22-2008, 12:20 PM
If you haven't seen the plays you can see them here. (http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200805222746276)

You can catch Pujos swiping Gonzalez's wallet while they were praying.

getonbckthr
05-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Pujols did from 60 ft 6 in what Derrek Lee couldn't do from 6 in, he got Young between the eyes.

South Side Irish
05-22-2008, 07:47 PM
Pujols did from 60 ft 6 in what Derrek Lee couldn't do from 6 in, he got Young between the eyes.
:rolling: