PDA

View Full Version : *Official* JD sends Sox to 7 in a row! 5/21 Postgame thread

Sockinchisox
05-21-2008, 10:56 PM
5 games over .500 for the first time this year.

What a night for JD!

goon
05-21-2008, 10:57 PM
This offense needs to get on track, RIGHT NOW or else we are in for a really long season.

Evman5
5 game above .500 lets head towards 10 over and never look back!

sullythered
It's getting pretty hard not to bo-lieve.

esbrechtel
Sweet deal! Pretty solid game tonite, a good come from behind victory!

hi im skot
Stuck at work tonight, but sounds like a great game.

Gotta love winning a series against the toons.

sullythered
This offense needs to get on track, RIGHT NOW or else we are in for a really long season.
Have we completely abandoned teal?

goon
05-21-2008, 10:58 PM
Have we completely abandoned teal?

No.

cheezheadsoxfan
So what was that Phil Rogers? We'd be lucky to win one against the Indians?

Seven in a row feels great and the Twinks lose!:bandance:

thedudeabides

Teal?

Nice win. Good to see a sold out crowd and a show for them to see. :bandance:

QCIASOXFAN
Let's make it 8 games tomorrow!

GlassSox
Wow let's keep it going. Good solid game except for the Boone try out.

Evman5

Were you referring to this game? or just the season in general? I thought they have been showing signs of breaking out. Also Cleveland has one of the best pitching staffs in the league.

chisoxfanatic
05-21-2008, 10:59 PM
That's how contending ball clubs win games.

Great job, Sox!

sox1970
05-21-2008, 11:00 PM
You know what happens if they win tomorrow?

2005!!!1!11!

whitesox901
05-21-2008, 11:00 PM
LETS MAKE IT 8 IN A ROW AND SWEEP THE INJINS! :bandance:

chisoxfanatic
05-21-2008, 11:01 PM
You know what happens if they win tomorrow?

2005!!!1!11!

Something that hasn't happened since 2006? Let's not jinx it. :cool:

RockyMtnSoxFan
05-21-2008, 11:01 PM
We need to make it eight games. We had, what, three separate eight-game winning streaks in '05? Or was it four? Either way, eight wins in a row is a magic number for this team.

sullythered
05-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Teal?

Nice win. Good to see a sold out crowd and a show for them to see. :bandance:

Yeah, I hope that was sarcasm. Seven runs on nine hits against a guy who always gives us fits. Dye and Thome with three bombs.

doublem23
05-21-2008, 11:02 PM
WHITE SOX 25-20 .556 -
Minnesota 23-23 .500 2
Cleveland 22-24 .478 3
Kansas City 21-25 .457 4
Detroit 19-27 .413 6

sox1970
05-21-2008, 11:03 PM
WHITE SOX 25-20 .556 -
Minnesota 23-23 .500 2
Cleveland 22-24 .478 3
Kansas City 21-25 .457 4
Detroit 19-27 .413 6

If the Sox stay healthy, they're in. Simple as that.

Yeah, I said it.

sullythered
05-21-2008, 11:04 PM
Also, fifth in the league in runs scored and third in ERA will win you a division.

Vernam
05-21-2008, 11:04 PM
Loved watching Byrd cave under a bit of pressure. Hawk talks about our guys not "pitching over" fielding mistakes, but Byrd really blew his cool after that disputed play where Quentin was called safe at first.

Great to see JD bust out, and maybe Thome's not washed up after all. :D: Nice for Vazquez to get some support, too.

But the clear highlight was when Martinez stuck his foot through that plastic bucket of candy. :roflmao:

Vernam

WhiteSox5187
05-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Yeah, I hope that was sarcasm. Seven runs on nine hits against a guy who always gives us fits. Dye and Thome with three bombs.
Are we THAT reliant on teal to identify sarcasm?

I keep trying to tell myself "It's only May, we're only a game better than we were this time last year..." but I am starting to get excited...and I am not one prone to excitement. A sweep of Cleveland sure would be nice. Let's just keep it going, one game at a time.

Soxman219
05-21-2008, 11:05 PM
The great pitching continues.

JD comes through in the clutch.

Beating a division rival in front of a nice crowd is nice.

Let's get the sweep tomorrow!

:)

doublem23
05-21-2008, 11:06 PM
If the Sox stay healthy, they're in. Simple as that.

Yeah, I said it.

:bandance:

voodoochile
05-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Okay, now do the FOBA understand why it's a bad idea to give Brian 4 starts a week?

Great job by Jermaine, obviously, but just as important is seeing Thome get another couple of hits and another HR. He's obviously making a concerted effort to go to LF and it's working.

Pk looking better too and of course then there's Mr. Crede, who got robbed once, but made the other AB pay off.

And how about TCQ? Doesn't have a hit or a run, but beats out a relay on a DP grounder and ends up scoring.

:winner

:twinslose:

:indianslose:

:supernana:

:)

GlassSox
05-21-2008, 11:08 PM
But the clear highlight was when Martinez stuck his foot through that plastic bucket of candy. :roflmao:

Vernam

Oh yea, highlight reel stuff for sure! :rolling:

UofCSoxFan
05-21-2008, 11:10 PM

I keep trying to tell myself "It's only May, we're only a game better than we were this time last year..." but I am starting to get excited...and I am not one prone to excitement. A sweep of Cleveland sure would be nice. Let's just keep it going, one game at a time.

I think the vastly better bullpen, the fact Jose looks back in old form, and TCQ looking like a star in the making spur me to a totally different outlook. Last year, we were lucky to have this many wins at this point; this year I'd say we should have at least a couple more wins.

MetroPD
05-21-2008, 11:10 PM

We need to fire Greg Walker.

JB98
05-21-2008, 11:18 PM
There's a scene in "Major League" where one of the fans says, "You know, these guys aren't that ****ing bad."

That's how I feel about the Sox right now. You know, they aren't that ****ing bad. :cool:

DickAllen72
05-21-2008, 11:19 PM
and maybe Thome's not washed up after all. :D:
Just keep him down in the number five spot where he belongs and he'll be fine.

sullythered
05-21-2008, 11:19 PM

Yes. I have been conditioned. Like Pavlov's dog.

Dan Mega
05-21-2008, 11:25 PM
I love it when they continue to prove me wrong.

elrod
05-21-2008, 11:26 PM
What I like:
Starting pitching is on fire. The whole rotation is consistent against all opponents

Bullpen has been stellar. A complete opposite of last year.

Carlos Quentin.

What I worry about:
Will the bullpen keep it up? The makeup of this group seems solid. Veterans like Linebrink and Dotel have a history of success. But after last year I will hold my breath.

An offense reliant on too many home runs. We need more manufactured runs, 2005 style. I know the 2005 team had lots of homers, but the leadoff guys really set the table. The leadoff this year has been inconistent and so we rely on a big homer to bail us out. As we found out in Toronto, those homers aren't always coming.

TomBradley72
05-21-2008, 11:30 PM
Okay, now do the FOBA understand why it's a bad idea to give Brian 4 starts a week?

I do not understand that. At least as long as Nick "Self Promotion" Swisher is looking like Julio Ramirez at the plate and Rob Machowiak in CF.

BoysMom3
05-21-2008, 11:31 PM
I hate the games on CIU because we don't get them here, but it's almost as fun to listen to them win on the radio when they're playing like this!!! It has been such a fun week to be a White Sox fan!! And you gotta love J.D.

rwcescato
05-21-2008, 11:33 PM

Seven in a row feels great and the Twinks lose!:bandance:
Phil Rogers knows everything (cublover) 7th in a ROW YES!!!!
GO SOX!!!!!!

JB98
05-21-2008, 11:34 PM
What I like:
Starting pitching is on fire. The whole rotation is consistent against all opponents

Bullpen has been stellar. A complete opposite of last year.

Carlos Quentin.

What I worry about:
Will the bullpen keep it up? The makeup of this group seems solid. Veterans like Linebrink and Dotel have a history of success. But after last year I will hold my breath.

An offense reliant on too many home runs. We need more manufactured runs, 2005 style. I know the 2005 team had lots of homers, but the leadoff guys really set the table. The leadoff this year has been inconistent and so we rely on a big homer to bail us out. As we found out in Toronto, those homers aren't always coming.

I'm actually not worried about the bullpen at all. If Jenks, Linebrink and Dotel are all healthy, we'll be fine. The question mark was the seventh inning, and now Dotel has stepped up to seize that role.

The offensive inconsistency is the weakness of the team and my primary concern.

You still wonder whether Danks and Floyd can be consistent over 30 starts, because they never have been before. But so far, so good. Maybe this is the breakout year for both. Who knows?

The season has been like an opposite sketch. I expected good offense, but had concerns about pitching. In reality, I'm pleased with the pitching and wondering whether we'll have enough offense.

It's Time
05-21-2008, 11:35 PM
There's a scene in "Major League" where one of the fans says, "You know, these guys aren't that ****ing bad."

That's how I feel about the Sox right now. You know, they aren't that ****ing bad. :cool:

And the Chinese Cleveland grounds crew says about the toons: "They're ****ty".

Nuttin really has changed.:D:

JB98
05-21-2008, 11:35 PM
Phil Rogers knows everything (cublover) 7th in a ROW YES!!!!
GO SOX!!!!!!

Phil Rogers' Cubbies still haven't won a road series in over a month. I hope he keeps underestimating the Sox. Our guys are playing like they have a point to prove now.

It's Time
05-21-2008, 11:38 PM
:hawk
"Someone is gonna pay" :D::redneck:tongue:

chisoxfanatic
05-21-2008, 11:38 PM
The offensive inconsistency is the weakness of the team and my primary concern.
Yea, they aren't hitting consistently; however, they're scrapping enough out to get more tallies in the "w" column. Since that's all that really matters, I think we can start breathing a little better now. It's not like they're having trouble merely getting on base like they were for a few weeks prior to this past road trip.

QCIASOXFAN
05-21-2008, 11:40 PM
And the Chinese Cleveland grounds crew says about the toons: "They're ****ty".

Nuttin really has changed.:D:
I think our grounds crew was saying the same about us two weeks ago.:redneck

rowand33
05-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Glad to win the series.

Hopefully, we go for the sweep.

If Swisher and Cabrera can continue to turn it around, we're gonna be in great shape.

TheOldRoman
05-21-2008, 11:55 PM
We need to make it eight games. We had, what, three separate eight-game winning streaks in '05? Or was it four? Either way, eight wins in a row is a magic number for this team.We had four in the regular season. Of course, we ended the playoffs on an 8 game streak, also.

The Dude
05-22-2008, 12:08 AM

Just got back from the game and what a game it FINALLY turned out to be after a rough several innings.

I'm no FOBA, but how is giving guys like Dye, Swisher and PK a day off each week a bad thing? I think PK and Dye really need days off with their age and Swish just can't seem to get it going so far. I think BA needs around 2 to 3 starts a week.

A.T. Money
05-22-2008, 12:45 AM
Stuck at work tonight, but sounds like a great game.

Gotta love winning a series against the toons.

Indeed. But I think it's paramount to step on their necks tomorrow! You don't want to take this great win today and wash it by allowing them to salvage a game.

PicktoCLick72
05-22-2008, 01:05 AM
Indeed. But I think it's paramount to step on their necks tomorrow! You don't want to take this great win today and wash it by allowing them to salvage a game.

I agree that I would love the sweep, but I would hardly call it a wash if the Indians win tomorrow. We beat two pitchers who absolutely kill us the past two days. The key is winning series and we have accomplished that. Either way, a sweep tomorrow would be very nice.

thedudeabides
05-22-2008, 01:11 AM
Loved watching Byrd cave under a bit of pressure. Hawk talks about our guys not "pitching over" fielding mistakes, but Byrd really blew his cool after that disputed play where Quentin was called safe at first.

Great to see JD bust out, and maybe Thome's not washed up after all. :D: Nice for Vazquez to get some support, too.

Vernam

Did anyone else see when Martinez came out the next inning, Cora had a bucket on his foot? Martinez started laughing. :D:

Say what you want about Ozzie, but him and his staff like to laugh.

Nellie_Fox
05-22-2008, 01:15 AM
... as long as Nick "Self Promotion" Swisher is looking like ... Rob Machowiak in CF.Juuuusst a bit of an overstatement, don't you think?

TomBradley72
05-22-2008, 01:20 AM
Juuuusst a bit of an overstatement, don't you think?

You're right...just venting. TONIGHT he did look like Mack. He's done a decent job...I just think the longer he's playing somewhat out of position...the more he'll be exposed. I like him more in a "super sub role"..giving our older guys (Dye, Konerko, Thome) a break each week in addition to a few starts in CF. Overall, I don't see him as the every day CF on a team going to post season.

LoveYourSuit
05-22-2008, 01:52 AM
Great two nights at the park out for me (yesterday and tonight).

Tonight's game really left me impressed at the fact that we did not run into our caves to hide when a junk baller was sticking it to us. We just continued to attack and attack to get out of that funk today and bam, bam, bam we got that crap off the mound.

Add the fact that we did not stop there and went straight for the throat and kept blasting away ...... wow this one felt good.

Only two downsides for me were Logan's issues on the mound tonight (and Ozzie gave it to him when he went out for a visit) and Swisher's mis judged ball in CF (did the anouncers make mention of it).

But man this one felt good tonight.

Go for the kill tomorrow !!!

:bandance:

gobears1987
05-22-2008, 02:40 AM
It was a great game. A friend and I walked up and bought 558, but we took the seats of some ST holder who either moved down or didn't show to sit in the upper tank behind home plate.

It was great. We were no hit for 4 2/3, but the Sox turned it on in the 6th and hit Byrd hard. It was great to serenade him after just 5 1/3. He only got 2 outs after Swisher cancelled the post-game show.

Alexei had a great play at 2nd tonight.

It was also nice to rest Bobby and Dotel. Too bad we had to use Linebrink.

ChiTownTrojan
05-22-2008, 03:24 AM
I didn't watch the game, but looking at the box score it's nice to see that a lot of the offense came from the preseason "Big 3" of Dye, Thome, Konerko. Once these guys get going (Dye obviously already appears to be there) then a lot of our offensive inconsistency will go away. Let's just hope that the early surprises (Quentin, Danks, Floyd) can keep it up!

delben91
05-22-2008, 05:32 AM
So does this winning streak "matter" now? I heard that until you've won at least 7 in a row, a winning streak doesn't count...

Railsplitter
05-22-2008, 07:18 AM
A whole week without loss YES!

:bandance::supernana: :bandance:

Frater Perdurabo
05-22-2008, 07:19 AM
Seven in a row is nice.

It's good that Jermaine is heating up again.

Its really good that Thome is rediscovering his stroke.

Winning a series against the division foe favored to win the division is fantastic. As we learned in 2005, it's best to build as big of a lead as possible in the division, so let's get the sweep on Thursday!

The starting pitching has been awesome!

I think the Sox have an excellent bullpen combo with Dotel, Linebrink and Jenks.

Just two quibbles:

First, if the Sox are going to keep winning games like this, they need one more reliable reliever. As good as Dotel, Linebrink and Jenks are, they can't pitch every single night. It was ridiculous that Ozzie had to bring in Linebrink with a five-run lead. (I'm not blaming Ozzie for this; he did what needed to be done! It's absolutely unacceptable that middle relievers walk hitters and/or fall behind in counts and therefore groove pitches with a five-run lead!

Second, it really would be nice to have a real leadoff hitter (or even a speedy, solid #9 hitter) to manufacture some runs when the homers are not flying. The great offense in 2000 sputtered in the playoffs when they couldn't manufacture a run against Seattle. Other Sox teams of the last decade (other than 2005) lacked this ability. Sometimes, like last night, the homers are flying and the Sox win and everyone has a good time. But when the homers are not flying, it's hard to scratch out some runs in a low-scoring game if your team doesn't have any speed.

Still, it's banana time! :bandance:

kevingrt
05-22-2008, 07:27 AM
Five words:

Let the good times roll.

turners56
05-22-2008, 08:17 AM
I'm now happy we have a 7 game win streak. It just seems more impressive to me :redneck. We need this sweep, we need to put our feet on Cleveland's throat and keep their losing streak going, while we keep our winning streak going.

alohafri
05-22-2008, 08:31 AM
I love it when they continue to prove me wrong.

I prefer being proven wrong like this!

October26
05-22-2008, 08:33 AM
I'm still smilin' :smile: and dancing this morning. 7 straight Sox wins! Yes!:bandance:

Hitmen77
05-22-2008, 09:01 AM

What Phil Rogers said makes perfect sense.

You see, there was no way the Sox were going to give extensions to Vazquez and Buehrle for beyond the '07 season. So, Javy wasn't there last night to pitch for us and we lost. Buehrle isn't around to pitch for us tonight, so who's going to take his spot in the rotation? John Danks and Gavin Floyd? Those were despicable trades, so it's safe to assume that neither of those guys can win a game.

MsSoxVixen22
05-22-2008, 09:36 AM
Good come from behind win boys! I'm going to the game tonight, so I hope to see a sweep! Good to see Paulie finally get a base hit. If he, Thome and Dye get hot, we're going to be tought to beat. Good outing by the Silent Assasin, Javy. :cool:

cws05champ
05-22-2008, 09:37 AM
How about a shout out to Roger Bossard for that 3rd base line being groomed ever so nicely to fit our team! I'm refering to the late inning bunt by Sizemore that should have stayed fair but rolled foul a few feet before the 3rd base bag.
Let's make it 8.....

Jurr
05-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Wow. I agree with the sentiments about loving when the Sox prove me wrong.

The pitching is stellar, and the offense is starting to get relaxed at the plate again. Thome is staying back on pitches a little more, and is being rewarded with more production and hits to the opposite field. When Thome can spray hits and homers to left center, he's incredibly dangerous. I'm glad to see that he's changing his approach a little.

If the pitcher wearing #56 can summon Mark Buehrle tonight, the Sox could easily end up with a double digit winning streak by the weekend. GO SOX!

stl_sox_fan
05-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Too sweet. Got the Indians feed on Extra Innings last night. JD's first homer was hilarious! Announcers didn't even wait for it to get out of the park. One second after he hit it "And the Sox lead 3-2". Replayed that several times. Loved the bat toss/slam too!
The Cleveland announcers were really harping on the double play that wasn't and Ramirez coming off the bag from Crede's throw. Brought me back to '05 and McCarver chastising Doug Edding's call. Almost everything is crystal clear in super slo-mo with multiple angles. Tired of announcers(Hawk/DJ included) second guessing so much this.

voodoochile
05-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Just got back from the game and what a game it FINALLY turned out to be after a rough several innings.

I'm no FOBA, but how is giving guys like Dye, Swisher and PK a day off each week a bad thing? I think PK and Dye really need days off with their age and Swish just can't seem to get it going so far. I think BA needs around 2 to 3 starts a week.

Because these guys are used to playing 150+ games a year. WHY would you do otherwise? With natural days off, they are mostly fine playing that amount of games. Why put in the inferior bat? Dye has an OPS 200 points higher than BA and he's still just finding his rhythm. Konerko playing injured has an OPS equal to BA and Swish having his worst season in the majors isn't behind him by much.

I like BA's defense, but the idea that he's ever going to develop into a good MLB hitter seems to be pretty much dead by now.

Frater Perdurabo
05-22-2008, 10:29 AM
but the idea that he's ever going to develop into a good MLB hitter seems to be pretty much dead by now.

:?: And you know this because...?

TomBradley72
05-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Because these guys are used to playing 150+ games a year. WHY would you do otherwise? With natural days off, they are mostly fine playing that amount of games. Why put in the inferior bat? Dye has an OPS 200 points higher than BA and he's still just finding his rhythm. Konerko playing injured has an OPS equal to BA and Swish having his worst season in the majors isn't behind him by much.

I like BA's defense, but the idea that he's ever going to develop into a good MLB hitter seems to be pretty much dead by now.

Dye, PK and Thome are all at an age where a weekly day off will keep them fresh for August/September. I believe BA has turned the corner and IS proving he can handle major league pitching. Over the last 30 days, Anderson is hitting .306, higher than any of the players we're talking about (only Dye, Quentin and Crede have a higher OPS in that time frame). Combined with the significant defensive upgrade we get in CF...it's a legitimate strategy and consistent w/Ozzie's strategy of keeping his players fresh over the long haul.

He's been delivering consistently now since the 1st day of spring training. He's earned the playing time. Time to let him out of the doghouse he created for himself in 2006-2007.

voodoochile
05-22-2008, 10:36 AM
:?: And you know this because...?

He isn't developing. In the at bats I've seen this season. He still has a long swing. He still is impatient and he still hits weak choppers to the IF 70% of the time.

It's not like he's been stinging the ball and getting robbed. He's just meh...

Just my opinion. It's what I see that's all.

voodoochile
05-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Dye, PK and Thome are all at an age where a weekly day off will keep them fresh for August/September. I believe BA has turned the corner and IS proving he can handle major league pitching. Over the last 30 days, Anderson is hitting .306, higher than any of the players we're talking about (only Dye, Quentin and Crede have a higher OPS in that time frame). Combined with the significant defensive upgrade we get in CF...it's a legitimate strategy and consistent w/Ozzie's strategy of keeping his players fresh over the long haul.

He's been delivering consistently now since the 1st day of spring training. He's earned the playing time. Time to let him out of the doghouse he created for himself in 2006-2007.

Dye is 34 and PK is 32 the assumption that players in that age are baseball "old" is one I have a HUGE issue with. Most people don't start to draw that line untl 37 (Thome's age)

balke
05-22-2008, 10:39 AM

Yeah, even I gotta say Brian has been doing nothing but progressing in my eyes. He doesn't have OPS, but he's hitting the ball and learning what he can out there. Its not right to say he can't develop.

I think as a 4th OFer he's doing great so far. He looked pretty stupid on that bunt in the Orioles game, but other than that its been a good season.

As far as I'm concerned, Nick Swisher might need to start giving a better reason why Anderson shouldn't be starting more games.

Frater Perdurabo
05-22-2008, 10:42 AM
He isn't developing. In the at bats I've seen this season. He still has a long swing. He still is impatient and he still hits weak choppers to the IF 70% of the time.

OK, fair enough. Just remember that it took Joe Crede years to improve at the plate, and that was with regular playing time, and he still is prone to both swinging long and being the king of pop-ups (and clutch deliveries, too).

I'm not calling for others to be benched to make way for BA, but I think it would help Swisher if he didn't have to play quite so many games in CF, and I also think that it would help Paulie long-term if he could rest his hands/wrists for a week or so, and I also think Dye would benefit from getting to DH once a week.

oeo
05-22-2008, 10:43 AM

As someone who is not a FOBA, you're wrong. For the most part he has been short and quick, as well as absolutely crushing the ball. He's had some terrible ABs that have had shades of 2006...and still has serious trouble when he gets behind in the count, but overall I'm happy with the progress he's made. You're not watching if you're seeing the same 'ole crap from him this year.

I don't think he looks as great as some of the FOBA say, but he hasn't looked bad.

Scottiehaswheels
05-22-2008, 10:46 AM
OK, fair enough. Just remember that it took Joe Crede years to improve at the plate, and that was with regular playing time, and he still is prone to both swinging long and being the king of pop-ups (and clutch deliveries, too).

I'm not calling for others to be benched to make way for BA, but I think it would help Swisher if he didn't have to play quite so many games in CF, and I also think that it would help Paulie long-term if he could rest his hands/wrists for a week or so, and I also think Dye would benefit from getting to DH once a week.I agree with you Frater and I'm no FOBA either. He currently has a higher B.A. than all but Dye/Crede in your statement (if memory serves), in limited action.

TomBradley72
05-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Dye is 34 and PK is 32 the assumption that players in that age are baseball "old" is one I have a HUGE issue with. Most people don't start to draw that line untl 37 (Thome's age)

I don't consider them "old" necessarily...but come August/September...we'll need them to dig a little deeper...the days off in May-July will help with that. Anderson's defense gives us a big lift and has an impact on the game the same way offensive production does. (the catch in Seattle being a prime example, several of Swisher's belly flops/circular routes being examples going the other way).

kobo
05-22-2008, 11:01 AM

I'm not calling for others to be benched to make way for BA, but I think it would help Swisher if he didn't have to play quite so many games in CF, and I also think that it would help Paulie long-term if he could rest his hands/wrists for a week or so, and I also think Dye would benefit from getting to DH once a week.
My buddy and I were talking about this last night. Anderson is slowly starting to improve and has looked better at the plate this year. He has shown discipline, he has worked counts, he's doing what he can when given the opportunity. I'm not calling for him to get 3-4 starts a week, but 1 or 2 should definitely be considered and I would be ok with that. Ozzie has at least been inserting him in the late innings recently as a defensive replacement, which is also good to see.

Great game last night. Made a last minute decision to head down to the park, and was surprised to find that the game was sold out when I got there. Ended up having to buy standing room tickets, which wasn't bad, just some folks around us were more interested in having social hour than watching the game. But it was nice to see the park filled up on a Wednesday night in May.

kitekrazy
05-22-2008, 11:36 AM
I thought it was one of the better games this season. There's nothing like coming from behind in the middle of the game and putting it out of reach late.

Lip Man 1
05-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Winning is fun...fun is winning!

:D:

Lip

Thome25
05-22-2008, 12:51 PM
I'm starting to believe in this team and stop being my usual pessimistic self. If KW goes out and gets a 2b who can leadoff then all will be perfect in my world.

Chicken Dinner
05-22-2008, 12:54 PM

Vernam

Yeah, Hawk and DJ liked it too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vozm11-3x1o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vozm11-3x1o

SoxSpeed22
05-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Too sweet. Got the Indians feed on Extra Innings last night. JD's first homer was hilarious! Announcers didn't even wait for it to get out of the park. One second after he hit it "And the Sox lead 3-2". Replayed that several times. Loved the bat toss/slam too!
The Cleveland announcers were really harping on the double play that wasn't and Ramirez coming off the bag from Crede's throw. Brought me back to '05 and McCarver chastising Doug Edding's call. Almost everything is crystal clear in super slo-mo with multiple angles. Tired of announcers(Hawk/DJ included) second guessing so much this.I guarantee you that Hawk would've done the same thing if it went against us. In the Angels game where Cabrera tagged the runner at 2nd and he was called safe, I said, 'Jose better get out of this, otherwise, we'll have to listen to Hawk *****ing about that call all game.'
The good news about that game is that Vazquez pitched well and attacked the hitters, even though he gave up home runs. I also like the fact that the Sox capitalized on that non-DP ball. The 2nd half '06 and '07 team would've done nothing with that. It means 7 in a row.

chisoxfanatic
05-22-2008, 02:13 PM
The Cleveland announcers were really harping on the double play that wasn't and Ramirez coming off the bag from Crede's throw. Brought me back to '05 and McCarver chastising Doug Edding's call. Almost everything is crystal clear in super slo-mo with multiple angles. Tired of announcers(Hawk/DJ included) second guessing so much this.
Those Cleveland announcers shouldn't be complaining, because there were THREE god-awful calls in the first game of the season that all helped their Indians steal that game away. Those calls were worse than last night's.

littlesully23
05-22-2008, 02:24 PM
I have to come out of hiding to brag a little...

On top of it being fantastic from a fan point of view, my boyfriend proposed to me at last night's game. Makes me love that place even more now. :D:

mcg
05-22-2008, 02:37 PM
I have to come out of hiding to brag a little...

On top of it being fantastic from a fan point of view, my boyfriend proposed to me at last night's game. Makes me love that place even more now. :D:
Congratulations!

hawkjt
05-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Congrats to you, littlesully, I think. Did you accept?

At least your fiance chose a good game to pop the question. JD will always be special to you, I presume.

I see both Alexi and BA coming along as hitters which bodes well for our future as well as this season.

Now, tonite...who the heck is this Laffey guy who is starting for the Tribe tonite? Last three outings..21 innings..0 earned runs.. a lefty we have not seem much...yikes..C'mon Mark, we need you to be good tonite. Keep it going Sox...next week in Cleveland we could give these games right back so lets get them in the bank tonite. Then if the sox continue to be hot..they could really put the Indians down a bit next week.

Chicken Dinner
05-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Those Cleveland announcers shouldn't be complaining, because there were THREE god-awful calls in the first game of the season that all helped their Indians steal that game away. Those calls were worse than last night's.

I actually thought they were pretty good. They harped a little and moved on.

littlesully23
05-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Congrats to you, littlesully, I think. Did you accept?

At least your fiance chose a good game to pop the question. JD will always be special to you, I presume.

Ha. Oh, I did. Kind of forgot to mention that part. The best (worst?) part is, he's actually a Cubs fan. I've learned to forgive him of that though.

Tragg
05-22-2008, 02:58 PM

I agree - but a strong population wanted Crede out of the lineup - and as late as 2005 - clammoring for the mediocre veteran approach. And Swisher has performed much higher than the mediocre for most of his career.
I think Dye, Konerko, Thome should get regular rest - they are getting old and we need them fresh. BA should be part of the rotation and should start a few times a week, and come in in late innings in some of the others. Considering that Cabrera not only never sits but Ozzie hits him leadoff no matter how horribly he bats game in and game out, a defensive stalwart like BA could start a few times a week.

MsSoxVixen22
05-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Ha. Oh, I did. Kind of forgot to mention that part. The best (worst?) part is, he's actually a Cubs fan. I've learned to forgive him of that though.

Congrats littlesully23! My boyfriend is also a Cubs fan and I've forgiven him for it as well! :smile: It's kind of fun though because we engage in some playful Cubs Sox banter from time to time

hawkjt
05-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Now, ladies, this is a disturbing trend...everyone knows the manly fans are sox guys. Whatsamattayou?:D:

sox1970
05-22-2008, 04:56 PM
5/22:Tigers win; Royals lose, and:

:twinslose

TDog
05-22-2008, 05:06 PM

Nick Swisher is a good guy. I watched him having fun with fans in San Francisco. I would like to see him do well. I was excited to see his pinch-hit that put the Sox ahead Sunday. But overall his hitting is about where I expected it to be this season, except that he isn't walking a much, and in truth I expected him to be closer to .240. He is a good defender anywhere in the outfield and at first. He is a smart baseball player. I'm just not sure if he is ever going to hit the way most White Sox fans expect him to. I hope I'm wrong, but I have serious doubts as to whether he will ever hit well in a White Sox uniform.

I would have no problem sitting Swisher in place of Brian Anderson because of Anderson's superior defense. Even if Anderson doesn't fulfill the offensive promise he had when the Sox drafted him in the middle of the first round of the 2003 draft, I don't think you're losing much, if anything, on offense and you are gaining a lot on defense. Swisher may or may not compare to Konerko at first, but Swisher is an offensive step down or more from Konerko.

I'm not one to propose trades or promote such speculation, but I wouldn't object if the Giants wanted to trade for Swisher to bring him back to the Bay Area. (Oakland certainly isn't going to deal to get him back.) I just never believed he was a good fit with the White Sox.

But, as I said, I hope I'm wrong.