PDA

View Full Version : Paul Konerko

chisoxfanatic
05-21-2008, 09:12 PM
I don't know about you guys; but, I think Paulie's on his way to turning things around and getting back to his regular ways. He's getting on base, he's making more contact, he isn't taking nearly as many horrible swings, showing more discipline at the plate than he did the first few weeks of the season.

I think his spot in the lineup is helping him out with this, decreasing the pressure, and is much more suitable, so props to Ozzie for reconfiguring the lineup.

Vernam
05-21-2008, 09:37 PM
I hope you're right, but I'm not really seeing it yet. Thome's definitely showing signs, but to me, Konerko is still not clicking. He had a terrible at bat last night with the bases loaded, and tonight he hit a checked-swing tapper to third on the first pitch and didn't run it out very well. He just seems preoccupied, out of sorts, or something. If it's his hand, he should just sit, DL or not.

Vernam

sox1970
05-21-2008, 09:43 PM
If he has a bad week through the next Cleveland series, I think he may go on the DL. The bats are coming alive, and they're going to need him in the second half. If he needs a couple weeks to heel the hand, I think he should do it.

GlassSox
05-21-2008, 09:56 PM
I'm not so sure at this point he is getting better and I agree with others who have said perhaps he should rest that hand.

WhiteSox5187
05-21-2008, 10:10 PM
When Konerko gets into ruts like these his focus ought to be take everything the other way that would get him out of these slumps.

MetroPD
05-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Paulies always been a slow starter. Come next month the man with be back in gear, post All Star break, he'll be in overdrive. And when the big games come at the end of season, Paulie will be money like he has always been. I'm not worried about him in the least.

JB98
05-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Konerko hit a couple balls hard tonight. Like others here, I'm concerned about his hand, but I'm hoping he's close to putting together a good streak.

I don't think we should expect to see the power that Konerko has displayed in the past. Home runs tend to dry up for guys with hand injuries.

JB98
05-21-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm not so sure at this point he is getting better and I agree with others who have said perhaps he should rest that hand.

FWIW, Konerko had a MRI done, and it showed no structural damage.

scarsofthumper
05-22-2008, 12:28 AM
I wouldn't mind Paulie going on the DL if it means him being strong for the 2nd half. We could play Swisher at 1B and get more playing time for Anderson

HomeFish
05-22-2008, 12:53 AM
Back in the day, Konerko would frequently have one good half-season and one terrible half-season; he was dominant in early 2002 and then fell off, and was terrible in early 2003 and then got hot after the ASG.

Perhaps it is 2003 all over for him?

Frater Perdurabo
05-22-2008, 06:41 AM
If it's one of these nagging things, perhaps it would be best for him to bite the bullet and rest now, so that he has plenty of time to get his swing back "in tune" when he returns.

Get well soon, Paulie! We need you!

jabrch
05-22-2008, 07:03 AM
Despite ample anecdotal evidence in the past 7 games that says otherwise, I still don't believe the lineup change is why we are hitting.

I believe we have good hitters who had a bad few weeks of hitting. That's all.

voodoochile
05-22-2008, 08:58 AM
Despite ample anecdotal evidence in the past 7 games that says otherwise, I still don't believe the lineup change is why we are hitting.

I agree and I think there are signs already that some of the slumpers are returning to form. The question is will resting the hand significantly reduce the amount of time it will bother PK. Do the acts of hitting, catching and throwing a baseball cause it to heal slower? If so is it a significant amount to warrant the DL? I mean if it will heal in 15 days while playing or in 10 days while not playing is it worth it to use the DL?

digdagdug23
05-22-2008, 09:02 AM

I agree and I think there are signs already that some of the slumpers are returning to form. The question is will resting the hand significantly reduce the amount of time it will bother PK. Do the acts of hitting, catching and throwing a baseball cause it to heal slower? If so is it a significant amount to warrant the DL? I mean if it will heal in 15 days while playing or in 10 days while not playing is it worth it to use the DL?

I disagree. I think some of the bats are starting to wake up BECAUSE of the lineup change, not in spite of it. It took pressure off the guys to constantly swing for the fences, and put together a decent string of hits.

You put the AL leader in HR's into the hit for show spot, and he picks you up? That says to me that it gives the struggling hitters a sigh of relief, takes the pressure off, and the swings are a bit freer.

BigPapaPump
05-22-2008, 01:58 PM
I disagree. I think some of the bats are starting to wake up BECAUSE of the lineup change, not in spite of it. It took pressure off the guys to constantly swing for the fences, and put together a decent string of hits.

You put the AL leader in HR's into the hit for show spot, and he picks you up? That says to me that it gives the struggling hitters a sigh of relief, takes the pressure off, and the swings are a bit freer.

I think this team still relies on the long ball tooooo much. As for the lineup, I love any lineup that doesn't have Uribe in it. I would put Konerko on the DL and get him some at bats in Triple A. Move Swisher to first and get B.A. some more playing time. I still don't think Thome is back, a couple of HRs to left is nice but he still looks like he can't catch up to the heater.

I love Paulie but I think that its time to see what we can get for him before he becomes a 5/10 player. Plus this lineup is just freaking slow.

jackbrohamer
05-22-2008, 02:25 PM
I hope you're right, but I'm not really seeing it yet. Thome's definitely showing signs, but to me, Konerko is still not clicking. He had a terrible at bat last night with the bases loaded, and tonight he hit a checked-swing tapper to third on the first pitch and didn't run it out very well. He just seems preoccupied, out of sorts, or something. If it's his hand, he should just sit, DL or not.

I agree, he stood there and watched it, apparently thinking it was foul, then started to run to first and was barely out. Whatever his problem is, I can't respect the lack of hustle.

Chicken Dinner
05-22-2008, 02:27 PM
I think this team still relies on the long ball tooooo much. As for the lineup, I love any lineup that doesn't have Uribe in it. I would put Konerko on the DL and get him some at bats in Triple A. Move Swisher to first and get B.A. some more playing time. I still don't think Thome is back, a couple of HRs to left is nice but he still looks like he can't catch up to the heater.

I love Paulie but I think that its time to see what we can get for him before he becomes a 5/10 player. Plus this lineup is just freaking slow.

He already is a 5/10 guy.

JB98
05-22-2008, 05:26 PM
I agree, he stood there and watched it, apparently thinking it was foul, then started to run to first and was barely out. Whatever his problem is, I can't respect the lack of hustle.

I don't think Konerko realized he hit the ball in fair territory. Sometimes, you make contact and you don't know where the ball is.

Give the guy a break.