PDA

View Full Version : Sox fans are 'drunken bastards' says roommate

thomas35forever
05-21-2008, 09:10 PM
That's what mine said. When I tried telling him Comiskey was more family-friendly, he said Wrigley was instead because people just 'chill' and watch the game. He said the drunk folks are just in the bleachers but at Comiskey, it's all over the ballpark. Unless I'm too focused on the game, I only see maybe a handful of our kind drunk and loud at the ballpark.

Craig Grebeck
05-21-2008, 09:20 PM
That's what mine said. When I tried telling him Comiskey was more family-friendly, he said Wrigley was instead because people just 'chill' and watch the game. He said the drunk folks are just in the bleachers but at Comiskey, it's all over the ballpark. Unless I'm too focused on the game, I only see maybe a handful of our kind drunk and loud at the ballpark.
Why do people post anecdotes like this?

I want Mags back
05-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Why do people post anecdotes like this?

why the **** not? If you don't care, move onto the next thread

jenn2080
05-21-2008, 09:37 PM
You should read this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101386).

Your room is not far off. The Sox fans are far from perfect. There are PLENTY of ******* Sox fans at the games. This year they are in full force.

Craig Grebeck
05-21-2008, 09:43 PM
why the **** not? If you don't care, move onto the next thread
Because posting every meaningless anecdote of acquaintances' misconceptions of U.S. Cellular or our fanbase shows an incredible amount of insecurity.

Daver
05-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Because posting every meaningless anecdote of acquaintances' misconceptions of U.S. Cellular or our fanbase shows an incredible amount of insecurity.

No, bitching about it like a whiny schoolgirl is worse.

thedudeabides
05-21-2008, 09:55 PM
I normally don't like to fuel a thread, but I was completely embarrassed watching the game tonight and seeing the crowd do the wave. :angry:

And worse off, the camera kept showing them. Did every respectable fan sell their tickets tonight? I hope.

I posted in the other thread about bad drunk Sox fans, but I really do think as a whole there are as many people into the game at the cell than I've seen at any other park, with maybe the exception of Yankee stadium. I have been to about ten stadiums, so it's a decent sample. It's a shame some bad drunks can give a fanbase a bad rap. Although, it's not nearly as bad as going to a Bears game.

TDog
05-21-2008, 10:04 PM
I know Sox fans aren't "drunken bastards." It doesn't bother me if someone says Sox fans are, because I know they're wrong. I've been to hundreds of Sox games. I've never had anything stronger than a Pepsi at the ballpark and my parents were married.

DSpivack
05-21-2008, 10:14 PM
I normally don't like to fuel a thread, but I was completely embarrassed watching the game tonight and seeing the crowd do the wave. :angry:

And worse off, the camera kept showing them. Did every respectable fan sell their tickets tonight? I hope.

I posted in the other thread about bad drunk Sox fans, but I really do think as a whole there are as many people into the game at the cell than I've seen at any other park, with maybe the exception of Yankee stadium. I have been to about ten stadiums, so it's a decent sample. It's a shame some bad drunks can give a fanbase a bad rap. Although, it's not nearly as bad as going to a Bears game.

Go to a Nats game. It's a good "family" atmosphere and a good place to take a nap if you don't like Sox games.

sullythered
05-21-2008, 10:31 PM
There is drinking in huge proportions at every professional sports game. Beer sales are a huge revenue for everyone.

Cub fans are worse, though.

bigfoot
05-21-2008, 10:34 PM

Time to change the locks?

hi im skot
05-21-2008, 10:40 PM
:shrug:

itsnotrequired
05-21-2008, 10:47 PM

Do you go to any games?

DaBears
05-21-2008, 11:51 PM

I was so thankful I wasnt at the game when this was happening.... you can tell the crowd is full of non-regulars when the wave goes around the stadium multiple times like that:redface:

The Immigrant
05-21-2008, 11:53 PM
Do you go to any games?

I go to two dozen games a year and agree with him 100%. Maybe it's just your seats.

cards press box
05-21-2008, 11:54 PM
That's what mine said. When I tried telling him Comiskey was more family-friendly, he said Wrigley was instead because people just 'chill' and watch the game.

This may have been true back when Larry Jackson and Bob Buhl were hurling for the Cubs but, of course, that was 45 years ago. These days, a run-of-the-mill night crowd at the so-called Friendly Confines goes absolutely crazy for that routine grounder to 2nd base to end the top of the 3rd inning in a scoreless game in May. And, please, don't get me started on the aggressive drinking and boorish behavior at Wrigley and/or at Cub road games.

The notion that crowds at Wrigley are laid back is hopelessly out of date.

itsnotrequired
05-22-2008, 05:46 AM
I go to two dozen games a year and agree with him 100%. Maybe it's just your seats.

My seats are incident free for the most part (520). It is when I sit in the bleachers that I see the most problems. But even the concourse has its share of loud-mouthed louts.

wealz07
05-22-2008, 06:20 AM
It's really simple. Stop the tailgating and you stop the drunks. Tailgating is one of the more enjoyable things about Sox park though.

WizardsofOzzie
05-22-2008, 07:01 AM
It's really simple. Stop the tailgating and you stop the drunks. Tailgating is one of the more enjoyable things about Sox park though.
So what's the explanation for the drunks at parks they don't allow tailgating for, such as Wrigley? You stop tailgating, not only do you take it way from the fans who do it responsibly, but you won't solve anything as they will just go to the bars pre-game

cws05champ
05-22-2008, 08:03 AM
So what's the explanation for the drunks at parks they don't allow tailgating for, such as Wrigley? You stop tailgating, not only do you take it way from the fans who do it responsibly, but you won't solve anything as they will just go to the bars pre-game
Uhhh...The 30 or so bars right outside the stadium.

jenn2080
05-22-2008, 08:10 AM
I was so thankful I wasnt at the game when this was happening.... you can tell the crowd is full of non-regulars when the wave goes around the stadium multiple times like that:redface:

I hate the wave just as much as everyone else, but I am not sure that you can judge a fan because they decide to do the wave. Obviously with a sold out crowd everyone is not a "regular". If the Sox sold 38K in season tickets we would have a problem. I am glad I was not there for the wave, but for **** sakes at least people were getting into the game.

Jerko
05-22-2008, 08:12 AM
All this wave hate and no complaints of the jagoff home run throwback guy? Come on WSIers, you're slipping!!!

kninchicago
05-22-2008, 08:12 AM
I actually think it's kinda funny when people do the wave when the sox are kicking ass and the other team's struggling big time. Just another way to annoy the losing team is to show them we don't even care about the game any more since we know our team looks hot.

However--when the wave goes around the stadium over and over again and people continue to be totally enthralled, it reminds me of when Elaine became "dumb" on Seinfeld and she stood in front of that moving tire statue clapping and laughing like a moron....

alohafri
05-22-2008, 08:20 AM
All this wave hate and no complaints of the jagoff home run throwback guy? Come on WSIers, you're slipping!!!

Oh, I gave my usual speech last night about keeping that crap at the shrine. The guys in front of me turned and just gave me an "amen."

34 Inch Stick
05-22-2008, 08:28 AM
I may be drunk, but my father has always claimed me as his son, so your roommate is clearly incorrect.

Hitmen77
05-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Do you go to any games?

It might depend on when you go. I hardly see any drunks - but I mostly go on weekends. Seems like the recent threads complaining about drunken behavior are from weeknight games.

thegooch
05-22-2008, 08:43 AM
I hate the wave just as much as everyone else, but I am not sure that you can judge a fan because they decide to do the wave. Obviously with a sold out crowd everyone is not a "regular". If the Sox sold 38K in season tickets we would have a problem. I am glad I was not there for the wave, but for **** sakes at least people were getting into the game.

The wave is the ultimate grass-roots movement. Started and perpetuated by the fans. It's not some rejected "Get Loud" display on the Jumbotron. No one is telling the fans when to do the wave, or how enthusiastically to support it. It also dies of its own valition.

People need to get off their high horse in regards to the wave.

soxpride724
05-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Uhhh...The 30 or so bars right outside the stadium.

It dosen't help that theese bars are full of these *******s at noon or earlier for thier day games. It dosen't make it better but, at least Sox fans (none that I know anyway) don't skip work to drink all afternoon, great examples are being set for these kids.
Consuming alchohol is just the nature of the beast, I work college football details and see it worse there than some NFL games I've been to. Everyobody has em, including the Joliet Jackhammers,lol.

gregoriop
05-22-2008, 09:02 AM
The wave is the ultimate grass-roots movement. Started and perpetuated by the fans. It's not some rejected "Get Loud" display on the Jumbotron. No one is telling the fans when to do the wave, or how enthusiastically to support it. It also dies of its own valition.

Although I don't like it, I agree with you. Throwing the ball back onto the field is a far worse offense. Keep that stuff at the other ballpark.

skottyj242
05-22-2008, 09:06 AM
It might depend on when you go. I hardly see any drunks - but I mostly go on weekends. Seems like the recent threads complaining about drunken behavior are from weeknight games.

Nobody is drunk on a Saturday night game.

jenn2080
05-22-2008, 09:13 AM

Word.

Hitmen77
05-22-2008, 09:24 AM

Did I say nobody is drunk at Saturday night games? :?: I get your point about their being drunks at those games too and I appreciate that your trademark here at WSI is to make little snide replies to point out absurdities in peoples comments without adding much substance to the discussion...that's fine. My suggestion wasn't airtight and that happens.

But I still think there is a difference between the weekend and weeknight games....and that may be why you have people having difference experiences with the level of drunkenness at the park....even on Saturdays when you get a bigger proportion of families because it's a weekend and fireworks night.

doublem23
05-22-2008, 09:49 AM

The wave is lame. Yeah, it's cool down here in the sticks, but then again, so are appearances by the Zooperstars or some crappy Blue Brothers tribute band.

You want me to believe that in a pretty good game between the Sox and one of their archrival division foes in which the Sox push for the longest winning streak they've had in 2 years, you still need artificial excitement? Why did you even go to the park? If baseball is that disinteresting, you could have saved your ticket money and thrown the game on the TV in the background and done things way more enjoyable than the wave at home.

As for the OP's roomate, whatever... He's obviously got preconceived notions about the Sox and Sox Park. There are plenty of people regardless of affiliation that prefer the Cell for a game for it's modern amenities and emphasis on family entertainment. There are others who find that sterile and prefer the dilapidated charm of "the Shrine." Who cares? People are going to believe what they're going to believe; there are still plenty of folks who think the Cell is in a bad neighborhood, but are unaware of all the growth and development in the area because they haven't been there in a decade.

Iwritecode
05-22-2008, 10:01 AM
No, bitching about it like a whiny schoolgirl is worse.

The people who bitch like a whiny schoolgirl about the misconceptions of U.S. Cellular or the people that bitch like a whiny schoolgirl about the people that are bitching like a whiny schoolgirl about the misconceptions of U.S. Cellular?

Iwritecode
05-22-2008, 10:03 AM
It dosen't help that theese bars are full of theese *******s at noon or earlier for thier day games. It dosen't make it better but, at least Sox fans (none that I know anyway) don't skip work to drink all afternoon, great examples are being set for theese kids.
Consuming alchohol is just the nature of the beast, I work college football details and see it worse there than some NFL games I've been to. Everyobody has em, including the Joliet Jackhammers,lol.

What's with the extra E? :scratch:

skottyj242
05-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Did I say nobody is drunk at Saturday night games? :?: I get your point about their being drunks at those games too and I appreciate that your trademark here at WSI is to make little snide replies to point out absurdities in peoples comments without adding much substance to the discussion...that's fine. My suggestion wasn't airtight and that happens.

But I still think there is a difference between the weekend and weeknight games....and that may be why you have people having difference experiences with the level of drunkenness at the park....even on Saturdays when you get a bigger proportion of families because it's a weekend and fireworks night.

Hey, look at George. He's givin' it to T-bone. He's jumpin' up and down like some kind of monkey. Hey, what was the name of that monkey that could read sign language?

kittle42
05-22-2008, 10:21 AM
there are still plenty of folks who think the Cell is in a bad neighborhood, but are unaware of all the growth and development in the area because they haven't been there in a decade.

Put 2-3 restaurant/bar businesses within 2-3 blocks of the Cell and people who suddenly never went there would go a lot more often.

Part of the "charm" of going to Wrigley ig going around the neighborhood before and after games. Whether you like that atmosphere or not, it's true.

And don't cite Jimbo's (yuck) or the joints on 31st or Halsted as pre-and-post game spots. They may as well be 5 miles away.

voodoochile
05-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Next time he says it, you should go to a bar for a few hours and pound shots. Then come home and punch him right in the nose.

thegooch
05-22-2008, 10:53 AM
The wave is lame. Yeah, it's cool down here in the sticks, but then again, so are appearances by the Zooperstars or some crappy Blue Brothers tribute band.

You want me to believe that in a pretty good game between the Sox and one of their archrival division foes in which the Sox push for the longest winning streak they've had in 2 years, you still need artificial excitement? Why did you even go to the park? If baseball is that disinteresting, you could have saved your ticket money and thrown the game on the TV in the background and done things way more enjoyable than the wave at home.

OK. The timing of the wave might have been bad, but I see nothing wrong with people doing the wave. How is the artifical excitement generated by the wave any different than any of the other artificial garbage going on around the park? ie...the bullpen bar, the rain room, fundamentals deck?

The wave is an easy target. I say an unjustly vilified easy target.

spiffie
05-22-2008, 11:02 AM
OK. The timing of the wave might have been bad, but I see nothing wrong with people doing the wave. How is the artifical excitement generated by the wave any different than any of the other artificial garbage going on around the park? ie...the bullpen bar, the rain room, fundamentals deck?

The wave is an easy target. I say an unjustly vilified easy target.
Because the wave happens during the game, and involves people standing up repeatedly with no regard to what is happening. On a 3-2 count I want to watch the pitch, not someone's ass simply because synchronized standing is enough to enthrall the person in front of me.

soxpride724
05-22-2008, 11:11 AM
What's with the extra E? :scratch:

Not thinking thanks:D: I'm in the vehicle on a Toughbook.

itsnotrequired
05-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Because the wave happens during the game, and involves people standing up repeatedly with no regard to what is happening. On a 3-2 count I want to watch the pitch, not someone's ass simply because synchronized standing is enough to enthrall the person in front of me.

How is that any different from the guy that gets up in front of you to go to the bathroom, get concessions, etc. With the wave, the guy stands up and sits in a second. It takes way longer to get out of the seats.

spiffie
05-22-2008, 11:23 AM
How is that any different from the guy that gets up in front of you to go to the bathroom, get concessions, etc. With the wave, the guy stands up and sits in a second. It takes way longer to get out of the seats.
That guy is also a douchenozzle who has no consideration for others. And perhaps I sit in the spastic section whenever I go, but I always seem to have the guy who mistimes it, stands up, half sits down, stands up again, high fives his buddy because he mastered the art of getting out of a chair, and then sits back down after readjusting his hat.

PatK
05-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Wer'e not drunken fans, we're heavily buzzed

voodoochile
05-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Wer'e not drunken fans, we're heavily buzzed

Buzzed waving IS drunk waving...

Dan Mega
05-22-2008, 04:15 PM

You've convinced me. I'll never go to another Sox game again. I mean, the wave, how absolutely horrible.

itsnotrequired
05-22-2008, 10:16 PM
You've convinced me. I'll never go to another Sox game again. I mean, the wave, how absolutely horrible.

The wave consumed me and washed away all my hopes and dreams of a better tomorrow.

thomas35forever
05-22-2008, 11:43 PM
I beg to differ. My roommate (a Cubs fan), his girlfriend (a Sox fan), and a few of their friends all went to BA's walkoff game. They got drunk off Vodka on the train ride over and kept their drunk up while at the game. Their tickets were down the third base line. One of the friends, a Sox fan who was wasted out of his mind, got into consecutive verbal arguments with people in one of the aisles, including a security guard and a hot dog vendor. He also got up in front of a seat during the game and started yelling at people, who responded by booing and throwing things at him.

How's that for a Saturday night game?

Nellie_Fox
05-23-2008, 12:46 AM
Not thinking thanks:D: I'm in the vehicle on a Toughbook.Please tell me you're not driving.

TommyJohn
05-23-2008, 07:48 AM

I beg to differ. My roommate (a Cubs fan), his girlfriend (a Sox fan), and a few of their friends all went to BA's walkoff game. They got drunk off Vodka on the train ride over and kept their drunk up while at the game. Their tickets were down the third base line. One of the friends, a Sox fan who was wasted out of his mind, got into consecutive verbal arguments with people in one of the aisles, including a security guard and a hot dog vendor. He also got up in front of a seat during the game and started yelling at people, who responded by booing and throwing things at him.

How's that for a Saturday night game?

Hello. We here at Whitesoxinteractive ask all of you generous folks out there to dive deep into your pockets and donate your money to the "Mandatory Teal for Sarcasm" Fund. It is a worthy cause. After all, there are so many people out there who wouldn't recognize sarcasm if it came right up behind them and bit them on the ass. So please give to the "Mandatory Teal for Sarcasm" Fund, and help the Humor-Impaired.

soxpride724
05-23-2008, 08:59 AM
Please tell me you're not driving.

Parked doing paperwork:cool:

skottyj242
05-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Yahoos in left center last night started the wave and when it died about two sections over there were many middle fingers sent out way. There was a heavy Latino man wearing a sombrero that was cursing us. While it was a 1-1 game two outs and a runner on third. Thome struck out....I blame the wave.

Soxfanspcu11
05-23-2008, 04:23 PM

Was your friend recently a victim of SEVERE brain damage? That's the only thing that would explain this thinking.

I'm pretty sure that EVERYONE, even the most cynical scrubs fans know that Sox Park is WAY more family friendly and that the urinal is just a big bar. It's not debateable at all.

itsnotrequired
05-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Was your friend recently a victim of SEVERE brain damage? That's the only thing that would explain this thinking.

I'm pretty sure that EVERYONE, even the most cynical scrubs fans know that Sox Park is WAY more family friendly and that the urinal is just a big bar. It's not debateable at all.

See, this is why you need teal.

kittle42
05-23-2008, 05:15 PM

Wrigley is pretty friendly unless you are in the bleachers. The rest of the crowd is pretty mild.

Elephant
05-23-2008, 06:08 PM

Railsplitter
05-23-2008, 07:34 PM
I resent the notion that I'm a drunken bastard. My parents were married and remain so to this day:wink:
(sorry it took so long for me to come up with this joke)

hi im skot
05-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Some guy on the bus today looked at me funny.

:whiner:

WS in 05
05-23-2008, 11:19 PM
wait what did your drunken roommate say about the wave?

itsnotrequired
05-23-2008, 11:29 PM
Some guy on the bus today looked at me funny.

:whiner:

let's get drunked

hi im skot
05-23-2008, 11:32 PM
let's get drunked

Bastard.

peeonwrigley
05-24-2008, 12:05 AM
The most offensive thing I've seen at the ballpark was Thursday night's in the first inning. Foul ball up to the club level, father hands it to his little daughter, who fires the ****ing thing down at the 100 level. Luckily it didn't hit someone.

Not sure if this falls in line with the rest of the thread, but I wanted to post it somewhere.

hi im skot
05-24-2008, 10:12 PM
The most offensive thing I've seen at the ballpark was Thursday night's in the first inning. Foul ball up to the club level, father hands it to his little daughter, who fires the ****ing thing down at the 100 level. Luckily it didn't hit someone.

Not sure if this falls in line with the rest of the thread, but I wanted to post it somewhere.

Was she drunk?