PDA

View Full Version : Ginter, Biddle come up (nm)

Viva Magglio
05-03-2002, 12:03 AM

OfficerKarkovice
05-03-2002, 12:07 AM
Oh boy...I just pray to God that my man Rocky is completely healed...we need this guy the whole season, not just in May. Not to mention the fact that I have never really been impressed with Ginter but what other options do we have really.

:rocked
I'm baaaaaaaaaack!

voodoochile
05-03-2002, 12:14 AM
So, who starts? Rocky can't yet be ready to throw 5 in the bigs can he?

Glover? Howry? Ginter must be taking the lefty long relief role in the pen, I would imagine...

Maybe they put Biddle in Howry's role, move Howry to setup and start Glover until Biddle is ready...

duke of dorwood
05-03-2002, 12:15 AM
Our options are limited-Ginter will just be a blowout mop up guy. They are really teaching Butter to shut up here. I dont think we will see him ever again.

OfficerKarkovice
05-03-2002, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
So, who starts? Rocky can't yet be ready to throw 5 in the bigs can he?

Glover? Howry? Ginter must be taking the lefty long relief role in the pen, I would imagine...

Maybe they put Biddle in Howry's role, move Howry to setup and start Glover until Biddle is ready...

Sounds like a good idea for now...until Rock is ready.

OfficerKarkovice
05-03-2002, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I dont think we will see him ever again.

No complaints from me

OfficerKarkovice
05-03-2002, 12:21 AM
Here's the article from the Trib. I posted the whole thing since you have to register now.

White Sox manager Jerry Manuel was just starting to get comfortable with the poise and performance of some of his younger pitchers.

Then came Thursday night's Home Run Derby performance by Mike Cameron and the Seattle Mariners against starter Jon Rauch and reliever Jim Parque.

Immediately after the game, Rauch and Parque were optioned to Triple-A Charlotte and pitchers Rocky Biddle and Matt Ginter were recalled.

Rauch (0-1), making his fourth major-league start, was rocked for eight runs, five earned, on six hits in one-third of an inning. He hit the first batter he faced, Ichiro Suzuki. Then he yielded back-to-back home runs to Bret Boone and Cameron, as did Parque later in the inning.

Rauch had a 9.82 ERA, giving up 18 hits and 19 earned runs in 142/3 innings. Parque (0-1) had a 9.00 ERA, yielding 14 hits and nine earned runs—six of them homers—in nine innings this season.

Manuel said pitching coach Nardi Contreras has done "a tremendous job" with Dan Wright and Jon Garland.

"They seem to be a little more consistent than they were in the past," Manuel said. "Hopefully they're comfortable here at the big-league level. I do take a sense of comfort when they take the mound."

Tough night: Paul Konerko, who entered Thursday's game with a career-high 18-game hitting streak, failed to reach base in five at-bats.

"It's all meaningless—the only thing I care about is if we win at the end of the day," Konerko said.

"Everything else we talk about is not very important. Home records, road records, West Coast trips, hitting streaks … all of that is pointless and meaningless, really, in the thick of things. Winning is the only thing that really matters."

Konerko had nine multihit games and 23 RBIs during the streak, hitting .423 (30-for-71) with four home runs.

"I'm just trying to work hard and not look ahead," he said.

Said Manuel: "He's maturing as a young hitter. I'm sure he feels comfortable."

duke of dorwood
05-03-2002, 12:25 AM
I give Nardi NO credit . These guys are learning.

doctor30th
05-03-2002, 02:02 AM
Actually Porizo is our long lefty guy still. I don't think Ginter is taking the Lefty long relief role since he's right handed, and I don't think he's shown any significant success against lefties.

I would imagine Glover will start. And Rocky would take over his role. He has shown that he can throw more than an inning, so I think he can handle one of the several setup roles we have.

HawkDJ
05-03-2002, 07:56 AM
Biddle's AAA stats for 2002:
7 IP
4 H
1 R
1 ER
1 BB
7 K
Although it is only 7 innings, that is really promising, especially the 1 walk part. I am excited to see him back pitching in the bigs and hoeefully in the starting role eventually.

Ginter's AAA stats for 2002:
10 IP
13 H
5 R
5 ER
5 BB
5 K
I guess they called him up because he has some major league experience but his numbers don't look too great. He can't be much worse than Parque though, maybe he'll surprise me. I don't know much about Corey Lee, Mitch Wylieand Ed Almonte but they seem to have good stats in AAA, but I guess they wanted somebody with experience.

Huisj
05-03-2002, 11:38 AM
What exactly was it that Biddle had done in his surgery? I can't remember, but it seems like it was a lot less major than what any of the other people had. I remember someone comparing it to what Foulke had done a few years ago, in which case maybe Biddle will be ready.

Randar68
05-03-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
What exactly was it that Biddle had done in his surgery? I can't remember, but it seems like it was a lot less major than what any of the other people had. I remember someone comparing it to what Foulke had done a few years ago, in which case maybe Biddle will be ready.

Well, Biddle had some loose bodies removed from his shoulder cavily, or something like that....(maybe slight shaving of the rotator cuff or labrum.... minor anyways)

He hasn't gone very far in his 2 starts in AAA, 4 and 3 innings respectively. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rocky get some long releif time, moving Glover to #5 starter, and moving Howry back into the setup role....

OEO Magglio
05-03-2002, 12:41 PM
I would imagine that Glover will start, what i was wondering Biddle with 1 earned run, and one walk, has looked real good. Biddle has been descent so far in his major league career, do you think cause of the surgery he could be better then before. Also what happens if Glover does real good while he's starting, cause I imagine he will, and I think he will pitch real well, so when Biddle gets ready what do you do?

doctor30th
05-03-2002, 12:51 PM
I know we don't know all the going ons of the minors, but I am suprised at ginter being up over someone like Almonte.

Maybe It's that Ginter has some Major league Expereince. Maybe they want to save Almonte's options. Maybe Almonte's going for a Minor League Save record or something.

Not a big deal but ginters numbers are actually:

10 IP
13 H
6 R
6 ER
6 BB
5 K

Just a minor technicality.

It's a shame that All our real good pitchers in AA right now still have some control issues. Except for Joe Valentine that is.

hold2dibber
05-03-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
I know we don't know all the going ons of the minors, but I am suprised at ginter being up over someone like Almonte.

Maybe It's that Ginter has some Major league Expereince. Maybe they want to save Almonte's options. Maybe Almonte's going for a Minor League Save record or something.

Not a big deal but ginters numbers are actually:

10 IP
13 H
6 R
6 ER
6 BB
5 K

Just a minor technicality.

It's a shame that All our real good pitchers in AA right now still have some control issues. Except for Joe Valentine that is.

It's also possible that the AAA coaches and/or scouts thought he was throwing the ball well, but not effective nonetheless (e.g., sloppy fielding, HRs due to weather conditions or small ball parks, dink hits, etc.) That said, Ginter hasn't shown much at the MLB level and I don't have a much confidence that he'll be of much use. But I'd rather have Rauch and Parque, both of whom I still have high hopes for, getting regular work at AAA than getting lit up here, so I understand sending them down.

Huisj
05-03-2002, 10:06 PM
Actually, Ginter pitched pretty good for a while at the end of the year last year. He had a terrible couple of stints early in the year, so his ERA was still high, but look at his opposing batting average--.238. Not bad.

bc2k
05-04-2002, 04:19 AM
Glover should be the new number 5 in the rotation.
Osuna should be the 8th inning setup man.

When I heard of the promotion of Ginter I was I little shocked being as he licked ass in his stint with the Sox last year. The more I think of his promotion though, the more I like it. Some have mentioned his experience, and I'm hoping that experience combined with a little hunger, could make him serviceable.