PDA

View Full Version : Does Quentin have a shot at AL MVP?

JermaineDye05
05-21-2008, 02:27 PM
It's early yes, but if he can keep this up do you think he has a genuine shot at MVP. I mean he ranks first in a lot of categories and 2nd in others. Plus he doesn't only hit, he plays stellar D and has a heck of an arm out in left. If he could run he'd easily be a 5 tool player, he has shown that he knows how to steal a base though. Do you think he could have a legitimate shot at the AL MVP this year?

hi im skot
05-21-2008, 02:32 PM
It's early yes, but if he can keep this up do you think he has a genuine shot at MVP. I mean he ranks first in a lot of categories and 2nd in others. Plus he doesn't only hit, he plays stellar D and has a heck of an arm out in left. If he could run he'd easily be a 5 tool player, he has shown that he knows how to steal a base though. Do you think he could have a legitimate shot at the AL MVP this year?

There's your answer.

kittle42
05-21-2008, 02:33 PM
This is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay early.

balke
05-21-2008, 02:37 PM
I remember last year there was Luis Terrero with 5 HR in like 50 AB's. A couple people thought he was going to be awesome based on that.

Obviously Quentin is doing a lot more, but he's gotta go through the league again this season and prove he can be consistant.

He does have a shot at this point, but honestly it doesn't seem likely in anyway. There's a lot of baseball left at this point, and Josh Hamilton has 50 RBI at this point if not more since yesterday.

soxfanatlanta
05-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Ask again in mid August.

soltrain21
05-21-2008, 02:38 PM
I will tell you in September.

hawkjt
05-21-2008, 02:39 PM
I like his chances as much as Hamilton's...both are unknowns who will be scouted and dissected...if Carlos has these types of numbers in August...happy times.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-21-2008, 02:40 PM
http://cache.kotaku.com/gaming/magic8ball.jpeg

jabrch
05-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Magic 8-Ball Says....

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ssanty/images/5.gif

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ssanty/cgi-bin/eightball.cgi

ondafarm
05-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Unless someone is as dominant as Frank Thomas in his prime, I don't think any White Sox has a chance at being league MVP. If Carlos played for the Yankees or Red Sox, you'd have hourly updates about his status appearing on ESPN.

jabrch
05-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Unless someone is as dominant as Frank Thomas in his prime, I don't think any White Sox has a chance at being league MVP. If Carlos played for the Yankees or Red Sox, you'd have hourly updates about his status appearing on ESPN.

MVP in the AL in the past 12 years...

NYY
MIN
NYY
ANA
TEX
OAK
SEA
OAK
TEX
TEX
SEA
TEX

Only 2 Yanks (ARod both times), 0 Red Sox and only 1 other large market team (Vlad). The rest are much smaller less media drawing markets...

If he hits .320/.400/.600, he will surely garner attention.

cws05champ
05-21-2008, 03:58 PM

NYY
MIN
NYY
ANA
TEX
OAK
SEA
OAK
TEX
TEX
SEA
TEX

Only 2 Yanks (ARod both times), 0 Red Sox and only 1 other large market team (Vlad). The rest are much smaller less media drawing markets...
Dam you to introduce facts...no one cares about facts!!!

If Carlos has 35+ HR, 120 RBI and the Sox are in it...he's got a shot.

DSpivack
05-21-2008, 04:03 PM
It's too early:

-Lance Berkman is hitting .388 and is on pace for 54 HRs and 154 RBIs
-Chipper is hitting .409
-Hamilton is on pace to drive in 179
-Brandon Webb is on pace to go 32-0

Come back in August with this question.

skottyj242
05-21-2008, 04:09 PM

:scratch:

balke
05-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about A-rod. When he's back and healthy, he'll probably pass up Quentin in all offensive categories. That's not saying anything about Quentin, more about A-rod.

soltrain21
05-21-2008, 04:13 PM

NYY
MIN
NYY
ANA
TEX
OAK
SEA
OAK
TEX
TEX
SEA
TEX

If he hits .320/.400/.600, he will surely garner attention.

I think people always bitching about the media is far worse than anything the media has ever done.

turners56
05-21-2008, 04:14 PM
It's way too early to know. But as of right now, HELL YES. He's a big reason why the Sox are scoring runs for their pitching staff.

spawn
05-21-2008, 04:15 PM
It's too early:

-Lance Berkman is hitting .388 and is on pace for 54 HRs and 154 RBIs
-Chipper is hitting .409
-Hamilton is on pace to drive in 179
-Brandon Webb is on pace to go 32-0

Come back in August with this question.
Um...3 of the 4 players you've mentioned are in the NL. There is an MVP for both leagues you know. :wink::tongue:

The Immigrant
05-21-2008, 04:15 PM
An All-Star selection for Q would be more than enough in my book.

http://assets.sbnation.com:/fan_shot_images/4627/quentin0521.jpg

http://soxmachine.com/blogs/soxmachine/archive/2008/05/21/12870.aspx

jabrch
05-21-2008, 04:16 PM
I think people always bitching about the media is far worse than anything the media has ever done.

Why limit it to the media...the bitching in general is almost always baseless...

spiffie
05-21-2008, 04:19 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about A-rod. When he's back and healthy, he'll probably pass up Quentin in all offensive categories. That's not saying anything about Quentin, more about A-rod.
And if his team remains in last place it won't matter.

turners56
05-21-2008, 04:21 PM
An All-Star selection for Q would be more than enough in my book.

http://assets.sbnation.com:/fan_shot_images/4627/quentin0521.jpg

http://soxmachine.com/blogs/soxmachine/archive/2008/05/21/12870.aspx

That picture is lulz.

DSpivack
05-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Um...3 of the 4 players you've mentioned are in the NL. There is an MVP for both leagues you know. :wink::tongue:

I know, I was just showing things that won't last and it's too early to tell anything.

Craig Grebeck
05-21-2008, 04:31 PM
I like his chances as much as Hamilton's...both are unknowns who will be scouted and dissected...if Carlos has these types of numbers in August...happy times.
Josh Hamilton and Carlos Quentin are quite well known around baseball.

balke
05-21-2008, 04:39 PM
And if his team remains in last place it won't matter.

I'd like to see it, but I think the Yanks will mount some kind of comeback. Maybe miss the playoffs, but not last place. You can't forget they'll just buy whoever at the deadline.

PolishPower83
05-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Q is the man and if he keeps up his pace, hell yeah he can win MVP. But he seems like a true team guy and I don't think he'll care much if he wins some awards for a losing team. I hope he just keeps up the pace and can win a more important MVP award ... World Series.

Corlose 15
05-21-2008, 05:59 PM
If he keeps up his pace AND the Sox win the division he's got a real good shot.

JermaineDye05
05-21-2008, 06:03 PM
:scratch:

I don't know what the point of that post is, I think it's pretty well known that Quentin has the best arm in our outfield. I'm sure many of us remember when he doubled off Renteria at first earlier in the year. Not too many baserunners test his arm anymore.

Tekijawa
05-21-2008, 06:08 PM
As long as he keeps his Jose Canseco batting stance and swing he'll get my vote (I don't have one) but the rest of baseball may blackball him.

areilly
05-21-2008, 06:26 PM
If he keeps up his pace AND the Sox win the division he's got a real good shot.

Agreed. Let's not forget what happened with the AL MVP award in 2006.

Vernam
05-21-2008, 08:56 PM
I don't know what the point of that post is, I think it's pretty well known that Quentin has the best arm in our outfield. I'm sure many of us remember when he doubled off Renteria at first earlier in the year. Not too many baserunners test his arm anymore.I guess he made an errant throw or two, and some people write him off. :shrug: Also, somebody here was comparing (no teal) Quentin's fielding to Mackowiak's, which is just completely baseless. I'm not sure he'll ever be a Gold Glover, but he's nothing close to a liability out there from what I've seen.

I also don't get why, whenever a thread or question like this one gets posted, people have to drag out the "it's too early to discuss it" cliche. The poster wasn't asking, "Does everyone agree Quentin will be MVP," or even "Does everyone agree that Quentin has a chance at MVP?" It's "does he have a shot," a simple yes/no question. State your view and move on without the needless lesson that we're still early in a long season.

All that being said, it's WAY too early to say. :duck: But I'd love to see it . . .

Vernam

Metalthrasher442
05-21-2008, 11:26 PM
How did Quentin do today?

JermaineDye05
05-21-2008, 11:28 PM
How did Quentin do today?

Ha, 0-3 with a couple of k's. I'm gonna stop posting threads regarding players because each time they've had a rough night. Last time I posted something regarding the team was my bullpen thread on Sunday, and we all know how the bullpen did on Sunday.

MHOUSE
05-22-2008, 01:18 AM
Way too early for MVP talk in either league. As stated earlier, an invite to the all star game would more than exceed expectations. I think Kenny Williams deserves some credit here too, grabbing Quentin at low value and reaping the benefits. If you'd have told me in January that the Sox would be in first with Thome and Konerko batting 5-6 around .210 and Quentin hitting 3rd I'd have thought you were nuts. Props Kenny!

ondafarm
05-22-2008, 09:37 AM
With all the bashing of Greg Walker going on, I'm curious if anyone gives Walk some credit for working with Quentin, shortening up his stroke and adjusting his stance a bit.

skottyj242
05-22-2008, 09:48 AM
I don't know what the point of that post is, I think it's pretty well known that Quentin has the best arm in our outfield. I'm sure many of us remember when he doubled off Renteria at first earlier in the year. Not too many baserunners test his arm anymore.

I was at that game and I remember it but that's about all I remember about his arm. I like the guy but I haven't seen anything in his arm that's going to make me think that he's got a cannon.