PDA

View Full Version : Royce was 3 for 4 tonight

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-02-2001, 10:54 PM
Dude, who lit a fire under this guys ass?? I think someone's been giving him hitting lessons behind our back.

:hurt

"I have to keep busy you know"

Daver
08-02-2001, 10:59 PM
He finally figured out that if he can't hit he don't play.

I still think I'll get tickets to picnic in the park so that I can throw pheasant bones at Royce.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 01:06 AM
I still think I'll get tickets to picnic in the park so that I can throw pheasant bones at Royce.

Yeah you and PHG can go together.

PutItOnTheBoard
08-03-2001, 01:14 AM
Royce is now batting .238

Last year in 148 games for the Rangers, he batted .242

In other words, he's exactly .004 percentage points away from last year. Heck, the way he's going he'll probably pass that tomorrow. So essentially he's pretty much the player Kenny Williams thought he was getting.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 01:16 AM
In other words, he's exactly .004 percentage points away from last year. Heck, the way he's going he'll probably pass that tomorrow. So essentially he's pretty much the player Kenny Williams thought he was getting.

Yeah but a few months to late.

PutItOnTheBoard
08-03-2001, 01:26 AM
Oh, really? See everybody uses that argument. But every player has streaks. Man, I don't even want to know what Maggs' average is for the month of July. That has got to be scary.

But what if Maggs' had been hitting say .330 over that stretch, with maybe four or five home runs? Would we be 8.5 out right now? Or would we be maybe 5.5 out or something like that?

I'm not criticizing Maggs at all, mind you, he's long been one of my faves. I'm just saying baseball is a streaky game, and more often than not players tend to gravitate around their career numbers.

What if Royce had gone .330 for April and May? He'd have been playing way over his head. But maybe he would have contributed to a couple more wins that way. Then let's say Royce hits a slump and starts batting .150 or something. He'd still end up around his career average. And everyone would still be criticizing him for the slump.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 07:57 AM
What if Royce had gone .330 for April and May? He'd have been playing way over his head. But maybe he would have contributed to a couple more wins that way. Then let's say Royce hits a slump and starts batting .150 or something. He'd still end up around his career average. And everyone would still be criticizing him for the slump.

Don't get me wrong I wasn't trying to say that what he has done as of late doesn't mean anything. But when the season still meant something he didn't get the job done. Sure I kid around and have some fun with Royce but believe me I am a Royce backer. But it is a fact that cannot be denied that he played a part in the teams bad start to the year. He's hitting now which is great so lets just see how he does for the rest of the year.

steff
08-03-2001, 12:29 PM
I think it was me. When I started my "Royyyyyycceee... youuuuu sssuuuuuccckkkkk..."chant from the bull pen patio July 4th, he started hitting..
Thank you, thank you... :-)

FarWestChicago
08-03-2001, 01:00 PM
I think it was me. When I started my "Royyyyyycceee... youuuuu sssuuuuuccckkkkk..."chant from the bull pen patio July 4th, he started hitting..

Good job, Steff!!

rmusacch
08-03-2001, 03:32 PM
[QUOTE] Oh, really? See everybody uses that argument. But every player has streaks. Man, I don't even want to know what Maggs' average is for the month of July. That has got to be scary. [QUOTE]

When was Maggs' last homer?

PutItOnTheBoard
08-03-2001, 03:42 PM
I think last night they said it was July 2nd, about exactly a month ago.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 03:45 PM
I think last night they said it was July 2nd, about exactly a month ago.

Yes that is correct July 2nd.