PDA

View Full Version : Thome Discussion

Lip Man 1
05-21-2008, 01:24 PM
There's been a lot of discussion about Jim here at WSI the past month or so. Today I found this story on him, that talks to him and looks into things like his age, the shift used against him and so forth.

It's a long story but overall I thought it was fair. Jim himself didn't seem to mind the questions anyway.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/couch/961313,CST-SPT-greg21.article

Lip

balke
05-21-2008, 02:35 PM
I don't think its a great article, but at least it addresses the issue.

Thome, Swisher, Konerko, Howard, Fielder.

All of these guys averages will go up the warmer it gets. They'll simply be pitched to more carefully, as pitchers fear the homerun ball. Every mistake they make from there becomes a HR opportunity.

Thome might or might not be old. That's a question you have to ask every year for guys like him and Thomas and Griffey etc. But will they hit above .250 with more than 25 Hr's if healthy? Most likely. I don't see anyone on the bench that can do much more. And if in the end they don't produce much more than that, you bring in someone else who can do better at season's end.

hawkjt
05-21-2008, 02:37 PM
IF PK or Thome was hitting it would ease the pain of the other struggling...just have to be patient,I guess. Easier to be when you are in first place...c'mon big Jim...pop out of it.

jabrch
05-21-2008, 02:57 PM
IF PK or Thome was hitting it would ease the pain of the other struggling...just have to be patient,I guess. Easier to be when you are in first place...c'mon big Jim...pop out of it.

I guess I don't see what pain you are talking about. This team is in first place. I'm in no pain.

doublem23
05-21-2008, 03:33 PM
I guess I don't see what pain you are talking about. This team is in first place. I'm in no pain.

Oh please, I'm as happy as anyone about their standing, but they've easily pissed away a few games this year thanks to that collective offensive slump everyone took around the first week of May. The Sox should have one of, if not the biggest division lead in baseball right now and instead they're only 1.5 games up on Minnesota.

You can be happy for their success relative to the division while still be concerned about their actual play on the field. :rolleyes: If the Sox finish on the outside looking in to October by 2-3 games, they'll have no one to blame bu themselves. And that sucks.

balke
05-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Oh please, I'm as happy as anyone about their standing, but they've easily pissed away a few games this year thanks to that collective offensive slump everyone took around the first week of May. The Sox should have one of, if not the biggest division lead in baseball right now and instead they're only 1.5 games up on Minnesota.

You can be happy for their success relative to the division while still be concerned about their actual play on the field. :rolleyes: If the Sox finish on the outside looking in to October by 2-3 games, they'll have no one to blame bu themselves. And that sucks.

It can be argued that if they end the season with career avg. #'s along with Swisher... and that helps them win close games where the pitching is lackluster, then we can call it even just about.

Baseball is a game of averages. Thome's might be dipping, but I expect PK at least to do his usual start out like crap, end up respectable routine. Swisher, I'm not so sure right now. I said before the Sox even thought about getting him that I don't like him and other .250 hitters, and right now he's showing why. The good news is Swish will most likely be raising his avg. .030 this season. I expect Thome to raise his at least .050

WhiteSox5187
05-21-2008, 04:15 PM
You know, the interesting thing with that shift is is that if I recall correctly when you look at his flyball outs, he sprays them across the field. The problem is when he grounds out, it's always to the right side and he doesn't hit a whole lot of line drives. But he can take the ball the other way, it's just that he hits the thing so hard, it's in LF not at SS. If you look at the OF during that shift they play him straight up.

I still think that Thome will have a good year (kinda, I think Couch was on the mark when he said about .265 with 30 HRs) but this should be his last year. We're still far too one dimensional of a team offensively, but if they can start to heat up and we keep pitching this way we'll be in good shape.

PolishPower83
05-21-2008, 04:38 PM
I'm wondering how long Ozzie will put up with his substandard numbers. I like Thome as much as ever but if he's still struggling by August and we're in the race, it's time for change.