PDA

View Full Version : Residental Guest Parking Permits

twentywontowin
05-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Not sure if this is totally the right place for it...but a co-worker gave me her guest parking pass for the game tonight while she is out of town.

Let's say she lives on 31st and Shields. Can I use the pass to say, park at 37th and Lowe?

There's nothing on the pass that says I couldn't and the city's website is vague on the issue.

jenn2080
05-21-2008, 12:01 PM
You have to park on the block where the address is. I think there is a line on the permit to put the address of the house the pass comes from. As long as that is not filled out you can park wherever you want. Just have to make sure the address matches the block you are on.

voodoochile
05-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Not sure if this is totally the right place for it...but a co-worker gave me her guest parking pass for the game tonight while she is out of town.

Let's say she lives on 31st and Shields. Can I use the pass to say, park at 37th and Lowe?

There's nothing on the pass that says I couldn't and the city's website is vague on the issue.

The pass will have a code number on it. You are allowed to park on any street that has the same code number on it's restricted parking signs.

twentywontowin
05-21-2008, 12:10 PM
See the thing with the pass is that the code number looks just like it was an issued number, not like the permanent resident passes that are zoned off. Because I could have sworn we would do it all the time where we have a pass from one area and park elsewhere, but I was usually too drunk to care.

But if the number on the pass does match the street sign then I guess I have no choice.

voodoochile
05-21-2008, 12:11 PM
See the thing with the pass is that the code number looks just like it was an issued number, not like the permanent resident passes that are zoned off. Because I could have sworn we would do it all the time where we have a pass from one area and park elsewhere, but I was usually too drunk to care.

But if the number on the pass does match the street sign then I guess I have no choice.

Check it. Jenn will be more in tune with the current laws. I haven't lived in Chicago for about 5 years.

Jerko
05-21-2008, 12:11 PM
I've let people use my passes for years and they don't have to park on my block or on a block with a matching code. If it's on the driver's side dash, and filled out, you should be good to go. My buddy has a huge party every opening day and he gets 100 guest passes; all those people don't park on his block. Or you can just call the ward office 773-254-6677.

jenn2080
05-21-2008, 12:12 PM

You are correct for the zone number on the passes, but Bridgeport is different. Their guest passes have the address line on it.

twentywontowin
05-21-2008, 12:15 PM
You are correct for the zone number on the passes, but Bridgeport is different. Their guest passes have the address line on it.

That I got filled out with the correct address matching to the issued number along with her name. So beyond that, I should be able to park anywhere as long as its in the window?

Or should I park up on Broadway just for you? :D:

Jerko
05-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Wherever you DO park within the residential zone, make sure you have both plates on your car and that all your stickers are up to date. I've seen more people get tickets for that kind of stuff than anything. And the code number on the pass just lets the ward office know which resident had the pass originally, it has nothing to do with which part of the hood you live in. I can have 2 passes for the same house that are 20,000 numbers apart.

Cat Thief
05-21-2008, 01:31 PM
They don't check them. I use an address from 31st and Wallace and we park all over. Most of the time right on 35th right by the school. Haven't had a problem in 13 years. If you don't fill out the address line you may be in trouble.

Jerko
05-21-2008, 01:37 PM
They don't check them. I use an address from 31st and Wallace and we park all over. Most of the time right on 35th right by the school. Haven't had a problem in 13 years. If you don't fill out the address line you may be in trouble.

Yeah, fill out the address line no matter what.

dickallen15
05-21-2008, 02:08 PM
We park everywhere with them. Sometimes they have an address on them, sometimes not. You could always go park near Shinnock's have a few pops and they will give you a pass for the game.

skottyj242
05-21-2008, 02:22 PM

If you have an upper deck ticket you must stay upstairs.

Jerko
05-22-2008, 01:24 PM
I take it nobody got ticketed or towed?

VeeckAsInWreck
05-22-2008, 01:40 PM
I take it nobody got ticketed or towed?

I once used a pass from a friend who lived on 33rd and Lowe, however I parked my car on a different block and got ticketed anyway.

twentywontowin
05-22-2008, 02:34 PM
I parked on 33rd and Canal last night, no problems. :D:

DumpJerry
05-22-2008, 02:59 PM
This is the most correct answer in the thread. Some of the posters were confusing your question with the zone parking in Chicago where there are zone numbers on the street and your sticker has to match the zone number. That is not the case here.

You can park where they have the signs which state that a residential parking permit is needed during ballgames. Make sure there is a name and address on the card (you can use your friend's name and addy if she is in the zone with the signs on the block). I have parked all over the zone with an address which is at 33rd and Princeton (not Jimbo's, my friend's aunt who lives near Jimbo's). Never had any problems.

I don't have a pass (yet) this year, but I have not heard any complaints about changes in the policy.