PDA

View Full Version : Parque has got to go

MattSharp
05-02-2002, 08:47 PM
9 HRs in 3 games? Get rid of this guy. C'mon, hasn't he proven he either isn't ready or doesn't belong? He is terrible. There can't be anyone who thinks he should stay?

OfficerKarkovice
05-02-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
9 HRs in 3 games? Get rid of this guy. C'mon, hasn't he proven he either isn't ready or doesn't belong? He is terrible. There can't be anyone who thinks he should stay?

Well you get one vote for no from me.

charlie browned
05-02-2002, 08:51 PM
hey--good BP pitchers aren't as easy to find as you might think. Parque is actually one of the best I've seen.

Cheryl
05-02-2002, 08:51 PM
I can see calling for Jon's head tonight, but I still think it's premature to say anything--good or bad--about Parque.

OfficerKarkovice
05-02-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
I can see calling for Jon's head tonight, but I still think it's premature to say anything--good or bad--about Parque.

Pre-mature? He has given up 9...I repeat 9 homeruns in 3 games!...If this guy even gets a shot at the starting rotation we are in trouble.

Procol Harum
05-02-2002, 08:55 PM
Keep Parque up with the big club--it'd be exciting to see new hitting records established every week.... :o:

charlie browned
05-02-2002, 08:57 PM
the Sox should definitely keep Parque--but he should only pitch before the game, and only to the Sox, and with a big net in front of him.

sox_fan_forever
05-02-2002, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
If this guy even gets a shot at the starting rotation we are in trouble.

I agree.

ode to veeck
05-02-2002, 09:00 PM
Parque should be sent down until he can prove he can even retire batters in AA or AAA. He's way not ready at this point. Last Friday was a forfeit just by putting him in a close game. He could barely throw the ball 80 on his fastball. Hopefully, he's just still getting over the surgery, but at the very least he shoudn't have been brought up just for whining, as his pitching certainly wasn't even effective yet in the minors

FanOf14
05-02-2002, 09:02 PM
lol at all the previous posts, couldn't put it better myself. if parque does get a start I'm going be doing alot of :gulp: (and that ein't gonna be coffee in that glass either)

charlie browned
05-02-2002, 09:04 PM
Parque was not effective even before his arm was hurt.
You can't rehab chickens**t into chicken salad.

But he's smart, witty, and articulate, and will make a good pitching coach or even manager in the future (journalist?--no, but he will be forever endearing to Sox fans because he totally pisses Moronotti off).

OfficerKarkovice
05-02-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
Parque should be sent down until he can prove he can even retire batters in AA or AAA.

If we keep sending him down farther and farther until he can get guys out we may have some problems...Rookie ball in Phonix doesn't start until June 22nd.

charlie browned
05-02-2002, 09:15 PM
If we keep sending him down farther and farther until he can get guys out we may have some problems...Rookie ball in Phonix doesn't start until June 22nd.

There are many colleges and junior colleges who would be happy to give him eligibility.

OfficerKarkovice
05-02-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by charlie browned

There are many colleges and junior colleges who would be happy to give him eligibility.

I'm not so sure Jimmy could break into the rotation at UST right now...D3 National Champions baby!!! :)

Procol Harum
05-02-2002, 09:29 PM
My son's Little League team (4th graders) could use someone to eat up some innings.... :D:

MattSharp
05-02-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
My son's Little League team (4th graders) could use someone to eat up some innings.... :D:

and with his size he could pass for a little leaguer.....

charlie browned
05-02-2002, 10:27 PM
Who is the only pitcher under 6' in the Hall of Fame?

Whitey Ford.

Does that mean there's a dose-reponse relationship here---i.e., the shorter you are, the worse your career as a major league pitcher is? Sounds like a job for Bill James....

Of course, Jon Rauch seems poised to totally blow away any putative height/effectiveness relationship.

But he and Parque made the Hall of Fame tonight, thanks to Cameron and Boone....

Rauch and Parque...a Mutt and Jeff legend in the making...

FoulkeTheIndians
05-02-2002, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum

Yeah, forget Jim Parque. Bring up Danny Almonte.

Paulwny
05-03-2002, 11:33 AM
Who is the only pitcher under 6' in the Hall of Fame?
Whitey Ford.

You've been reading yankmee propaganda. There are 8 pitchers in the hall who were under 6ft, one being the sox Ted Lyons.

Procol Harum
05-03-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

You've been reading yankmee propaganda. There are 8 pitchers in the hall who were under 6ft, one being the sox Ted Lyons.

Good catch, Paul--hardly the only instance of Yankee-propagated mythology out there that has attained the status of urban legend.

hold2dibber
05-03-2002, 03:03 PM
Parque was not effective even before his arm was hurt.
You can't rehab chickens**t into chicken salad.

Not true. I understand that Parque's mouth pisses some people off (although I don't really understand why - he's never said anything that's really bothered me), but I am continually amazed at how many Sox fans slam his performance. I've liked him ever since the brawl game against the Tigers in 2000 - he stood up for himself and his team and showed he's a warrior out on the mound. Plus, he has had only two full years in the majors; in the first, he was not very good (but at age 23, that's not really surprising). The second (2000) he was 13-6 with a 4.28 ERA in 187 IP (and pitched great in the first game of the playoffs -- again showing he can rise to the occassion when needed). So he was effective before his arm was hurt; if he gets his arm strength back, and can return to that form (he's still only 26), we will have a solid #3 or #4 starter on our hands. Obviously, he does not have that arm strength back yet (again, that's not really surprising) and I agree he should be in the minors until he does. Personally, I don't think he'll get all the way back until next year. But I still hold out hope that he will return to form and be effective -- as he was before his arm was hurt -- again.

Foulke You
05-03-2002, 04:48 PM
If Parque can get his velocity back he might make a solid #5 guy in the rotation but that is only if he gets his speed back. If you don't have pinpoint control in the bigs your 79mph meatballs are going to get crushed. Right now though, he definitely looks like a pitcher in need of a full year of rehab in AAA. What sucks is that we're paying so much money for the guy. :(:

Cheryl
05-03-2002, 04:54 PM
I've always like Parque--but then I have a big mouth too. I've also never thought much of him as a starter--he's more of a long relief guy IMO. I hope he gets his stuff back and comes back up--either later this season or next season.

Nellsin
05-03-2002, 05:07 PM
For now Parque can sit at the IHOP in Charlotte and ponder the ancient saying about getting what you wish for. If he's ever coming back to the bigs it should be when he's fully recovered and in a different uniform. Let him join the long line of guys who did great after they left us. I won't mind that at all but he must be (and, I believe, already is) gone. Rauch will be back.

charlie browned
05-03-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

Thanks for setting me straight.

bc2k
05-04-2002, 02:34 AM
I was fuming when Parque was called up because of his mouth. Now I'm glad because he can't say dick anymore. I didn't even like Parque before surgery but as hold2dibber pointed out, he did give one hell of a performance in game one of the 2000 playoffs but jagoff Manuel pulled him too early. Hey Jerry, "throw the pitch count out in the playoffs!" Parque's playoff performance was pure balls.

What I expect from Parque now is to get his work in, build up some arm strength, and enjoy IHOP's salad. I hope to see Parque back in August or September close to 100% and give the Sox a quality lefty in the pen for the playoffs. That is my best case scenerio of him, with the starters we have I can't see him breaking into the rotation.