PDA

View Full Version : Bad Times in the Motor City

Palehose Pete
05-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Things are bad in Tiger Town. Reading Leyland's quote, it reminds me of Ozzie last year around September. Also, I think the Sox got lucky when they missed landing Cabrera. The guy doesn't seem to have the work ethic to back up his talent.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080520/SPORTS02/80520006/1050/rss15

DumpJerry
05-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Leyland must be puffing about five cartons a day........

getonbckthr
05-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Isn't it about time for Leyland to walk way?

Billy Ashley
05-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Things are bad in Tiger Town. Reading Leyland's quote, it reminds me of Ozzie last year around September. Also, I think the Sox got lucky when they missed landing Cabrera. The guy doesn't seem to have the work ethic to back up his talent.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080520/SPORTS02/80520006/1050/rss15

They are off to an awful start and seem to have dug themselves into a hole they can't dig out of. I was one of the many who felt that they'd be right with the Tribe all season atop the AL central standings. Their pitching really got suspect fast this season.

That said, I'd take Cabrera every day of the week. He's an awesome force having a lackluster year after switching leagues. These things happen.

oeo
05-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Also, I think the Sox got lucky when they missed landing Cabrera. The guy doesn't seem to have the work ethic to back up his talent.

Meh...he's playing hurt. He'll put up his numbers.

Willis, OTOH, was just a stupid move...and then they signed him to an extension which made it that much worse.

It looks like Dombrowski's game of Risk has finally bit him in the butt.

Their pitching really got suspect fast this season.

Their pitching was suspect from day one. Actually, it was suspect last year. Dombrowski chose to add more force to his offense instead of fixing those issues, though.

doublem23
05-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Willis, OTOH, was just a stupid move...and then they signed him to an extension which made it that much worse.

I have a feeling the Marlins played Dombrowski and got him to believe he stole Willis, too, when they were planning on dumping his worthless arm this off-season, too. To be honest, if it meant landing a beast like Cabrera, I'd probably have taken Willis, too... The contract extension, however, that I don't understand. :scratch:

Billy Ashley
05-20-2008, 04:30 PM
I'd say that there was realistic hope that their 1-3 would be ok to good. Verlander, Bonderman and Rogers could have been a lot better.

Verlander's got to be hurt though... he's pitching like trash. Their pen was always suspect as was the back end of their staff.

oeo
05-20-2008, 04:33 PM
I have a feeling the Marlins played Dombrowski and got him to believe he stole Willis, too, when they were planning on dumping his worthless arm this off-season, too. To be honest, if it meant landing a beast like Cabrera, I'd probably have taken Willis, too... The contract extension, however, that I don't understand. :scratch:

Well, reports after that crazy day in which it went from a Sox done deal to a Tigers done deal in the matter of minutes, said that the Sox didn't want anything to do with Willis.

I think you're right...it was a package deal, you couldn't take just Cabrera.

oeo
05-20-2008, 04:37 PM
I'd say that there was realistic hope that their 1-3 would be ok to good. Verlander, Bonderman and Rogers could have been a lot better.

Verlander's got to be hurt though... he's pitching like trash. Their pen was always suspect as was the back end of their staff.

Bonderman is a mediocre pitcher, let's just end that discussion right now. He's had potential for years now...is he ever going to reach it, or is he going to stay at mediocrity? The youth excuse is getting old...he's 25 now and has been in the league since 2003. It's put up or shut up time for Mr. Bonderman.

Also, Rogers is old...how can you depend on him?

As for Verlander, I just think all those innings the past couple of years are catching up to him. I thought they were going to bite him last year, but he ended up doing it again. There's a lot of innings on that young arm...

Verlander has been bad, but the rest of their rotation has been about as expected.

Billy Ashley
05-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Bonderman is a mediocre pitcher, let's just end that discussion right now. He's had potential for years now...is he ever going to reach it, or is he going to stay at mediocrity?

As for Verlander, I just think all those innings the past couple of years are catching up to him. I thought they were going to bite him last year, but he ended up doing it again. There's a lot of innings on that young arm...

Verlander: You may be right about his workloads have been brutal. That doesn't change the fact that he was the smart money pick for the Cy Young this season. That said, if the Tigers did in fact ruin him by throwing him out there for so many innings at such a young age, they should be ashamed of how stupid they've been.

Bonderman: hasn't just had potential he was very good in 2006 and half of 2007. His struggles in the 2nd half of 07 had been labeled dead arm by some.

Rogers: is old, I should have stated that between Robertson, Rogers and Willis they should have been able to field a decent 1-3.

The sucktitude of Verlander is what's killing them the most though, and no one could have predicted that.

oeo
05-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Bonderman: hasn't just had potential he was very good in 2006 and half of 2007. His struggles in the 2nd half of 07 had been labeled dead arm by some.

Look throughout his career: he's always been a lot better in the first half than the second. He had a very good first half to 2006, but I wouldn't label that entire season as the same.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-20-2008, 04:46 PM

Whay annoys me though is all offseason all we heard about was what a genius he was for making these "blockbuster" moves. If anyone thought Willis was going to set the AL on fire (based on last season) then those same people believe Kerry Wood struck out 20 on Opening Day, 2008.

Dombrowski will get a pass because he "gambled". Not every Gm is afforded that media luxury.

oeo
05-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Whay annoys me though is all offseason all we heard about was what a genius he was for making these "blockbuster" moves. If anyone thought Willis was going to set the AL on fire (based on last season) then those same people believe Kerry Wood struck out 20 on Opening Day, 2008.

Dombrowski will get a pass because he "gambled". Not every Gm is afforded that media luxury.

All Dombrowski does is gamble. From the draft to the free agent market to the trade market. He's had some good luck, but I'm smiling now that something has finally bit him.

Thigpen "57"
05-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Ha! I just logged on here to start a post about the Tigers as well. I just looked at their central division record and couldn't believe that they are a whopping 4-15!!

I think most of us saw some pitching trouble coming their way. I don't usually like to talk about teams that are struggling this early in the season, cause they usually come back to bite ya in the ass, but these Tigers might be on the same path as our second half '06-07 Sox.

WhiteSox5187
05-20-2008, 04:51 PM
I think everyone knew their bullpen was in trouble last year after Rodney and that other guy got hurt...I thought their pitching would be OKish, Bonderman is an OK three or four guy. Verlander I thought would be good, and I was questioning about Rogers again. But I figured any pitching flaws they had would be masked by their offense. It just didn't work out. Like the Sox last year, their offense is in a complete slump. There is still time for them to turn it around though.

jabrch
05-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Detroit (the city) sucks. They deserve the 2008 Tigers.

I_Liked_Manuel
05-20-2008, 05:28 PM
i haven't seen verlander pitch other than when he and floyd dueled at the cell in the rain earlier this year - verlander looked fine that day

this is the most telling part of the free press article to me at least -

MOD EDIT: Please do not paste copyrighted text to our boards.

could you imagine what kenny williams would have done if he saw the sox doing that while we were in our slump?

gobears1987
05-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Bonderman is a mediocre pitcher, let's just end that discussion right now. He's had potential for years now...is he ever going to reach it, or is he going to stay at mediocrity? The youth excuse is getting old...he's 25 now and has been in the league since 2003. It's put up or shut up time for Mr. Bonderman.

I'm not comparing Bonderman to Garland, but I find it interesting that Garland was in the same situation before 2005. Most of us (myself included) had written him off as a .500 pitcher who just wasn't going to reach his potential. He had been in the league since 2000 and shown us nothing consistent before 05.

The only person who believed in him was Hawk. We all laughed at Hawk in 04 when he said Garland would win 18 games. A year later he did just that.

FedEx227
05-20-2008, 06:43 PM
The only person who believed in him was Hawk. We all laughed at Hawk in 04 when he said Garland would win 18 games. A year later he did just that.

Hawk says this about every young pitcher. Not taking anything away from Garland, because he was absolutely right but wasn't Jon Rheinecker going to really surprise this league for the next few years?

Scottiehaswheels
05-20-2008, 06:45 PM
could you imagine what kenny williams would have done if he saw the sox doing that while we were in our slump?I'd prefer that to having them listen to Walker. Teal? Half teal? You decide.

JB98
05-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Hawk says this about every young pitcher. Not taking anything away from Garland, because he was absolutely right but wasn't Jon Rheinecker going to really surprise this league for the next few years?

Every schlub who shuts down the White Sox is going to win 15-18 in this league according to Hawk.

Domeshot17
05-20-2008, 06:52 PM

Verlander has been bad, but the rest of their rotation has been about as expected.

I was thinking the same thing as gobears. This guy is 25 years old, and he does remind me of Garland a lot. He shows flashes of being good but never keeps it together. I mean Garland will never repeat 2005 with 18 wins and a sub 4 era, but I think Bonderman is a fine number 3 or 4 sp. He has pretty good stuff. I just think its a bad idea to write off pitchers who are 25. Gavin Floyd is starting to find it, and Bonderman has done way more in his early career then Floyd.

In terms of stuff, if he can get it to come together, Bonderman could be 3 times the pitcher Garland was.

I also would say it is foolish to write off the Tigers. They have a talented rotation all struggling, a talented offense all struggling, and a bad bullpen. However, if the rotation comes around and the offense heats up, they could be a very dangerous team still.

Oblong
05-20-2008, 08:12 PM
http://www.971theticket.com/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=2266977

Leyland goes off in a classic rant. Goes off on Grilli and doesn't mention them by name but is also talking about Guillen and Inge. They were talking in other stories.

I love it when managers do this. They get too much heat when guys aren't playing well between the lines. "Look in the mirror!"

MarySwiss
05-20-2008, 08:21 PM

Leyland goes off in a classic rant. Goes off on Grilli and doesn't mention them by name but is also talking about Guillen and Inge. They were talking in other stories.

I love it when managers do this. They get too much heat when guys aren't playing well between the lines. "Look in the mirror!"

Once again; IT'S MAY, gang.
Preseason, I managed to suck a Tigers fan pal into betting that the Tigers would win the division. So he's got the Tigers and I have everybody else. Am I asking him to double the bet? Not a chance. In August, maybe.

TheOldRoman
05-20-2008, 11:30 PM
Well, reports after that crazy day in which it went from a Sox done deal to a Tigers done deal in the matter of minutes, said that the Sox didn't want anything to do with Willis.

I think you're right...it was a package deal, you couldn't take just Cabrera.We all would have loved having Cabrera, but imagine if that deal went through. IIRC, we were giving up Fields AND Danks, along with others I forget. Obviously, it is too early to call Danks a star, but I has been great thusfar. Giving away Fields either meant being forced to give Crede what he wants and pray he is healthy, or live with Miguel Cabrera making Ryan Braun look like Brooks Robinson at 3rd for the next several years. I think that deal will go down as one for which we thank our lucky stars years down the road it didn't happen.

oeo
05-21-2008, 12:08 AM
I'm not comparing Bonderman to Garland, but I find it interesting that Garland was in the same situation before 2005. Most of us (myself included) had written him off as a .500 pitcher who just wasn't going to reach his potential. He had been in the league since 2000 and shown us nothing consistent before 05.

Garland only did it once. If you ask me, he still ended up as a disappointment. He ended up alright, but not what he was supposedly destined to be.

I was thinking the same thing as gobears. This guy is 25 years old, and he does remind me of Garland a lot. He shows flashes of being good but never keeps it together. I mean Garland will never repeat 2005 with 18 wins and a sub 4 era, but I think Bonderman is a fine number 3 or 4 sp. He has pretty good stuff. I just think its a bad idea to write off pitchers who are 25. Gavin Floyd is starting to find it, and Bonderman has done way more in his early career then Floyd.

Writing him off? I called him a mediocre pitcher, which is what a third or fourth starter is. He's not terrible, but the guy has been destined as an ace for five years now, and he has not come close to doing it consistently.

And again, the age thing comes back into the picture. Bonderman isn't your typical 25-year-old...this is his sixth year in the league. I'm just saying, it's getting to the point of what you see is what you get with Bonderman, and it's not what he was supposed to be. How long do you say he's still young? His career has been pretty repetitive to this point...it looked like he was headed in the right direction in the first of 2006, but then fell off the map in the second half. Again looked good early in 2007, but fell off once again. Inconsistency != an ace.

Domeshot17
05-21-2008, 01:44 AM
Garland only did it once. If you ask me, he still ended up as a disappointment. He ended up alright, but not what he was supposedly destined to be.

Writing him off? I called him a mediocre pitcher, which is what a third or fourth starter is. He's not terrible, but the guy has been destined as an ace for five years now, and he has not come close to doing it consistently.

And again, the age thing comes back into the picture. Bonderman isn't your typical 25-year-old...this is his sixth year in the league. I'm just saying, it's getting to the point of what you see is what you get with Bonderman, and it's not what he was supposed to be. How long do you say he's still young? His career has been pretty repetitive to this point...it looked like he was headed in the right direction in the first of 2006, but then fell off the map in the second half. Again looked good early in 2007, but fell off once again. Inconsistency != an ace.

I think the big knock is Detroit has ruined a lot of good pitchers by rushing them. Jeff Weaver had future ace written all over him, and he was rushed along. Bonderman is looking like the same thing, and while Verlander pitched well rushed, he looks gassed right now.

TDog
05-21-2008, 01:56 AM
... Also, I think the Sox got lucky when they missed landing Cabrera. The guy doesn't seem to have the work ethic to back up his talent. ...

In March, when I questioned how Cabrera would respond to playing on an unfamiliar team in an unfamiliar place with a huge contract extension, posters replied that I didn't know what I was talking about because I didn't know what was in his heart. In any case, Cabrera is doing pretty much what I expected. "Hitting the jackpot" may or may not have affected Cabrera's work ethic. I don't know if the Sox got lucky they missed out on landing him. It's doubtful that the Sox would have signed him to an extension, so he would have more incentive to perform, but one would think Orlando Cabrera has such incentive. If the Sox had been forced to pick up Willis, Floyd may have been pushed out of the starting rotaton. Maybe not.

The big problem that I saw with the Tigers coming into the season was their pitching. Tonight Verlander pitched well for six innings, which seems to be about as far as he can go this year. The bullpen gave up seven runs in their three innings. If your ace can only go six innings, you had better have a great bullpen and a team that scores a dozen runs every night. That Verlander is now 2-7 is testament to the fact that the Tigers have neither.

It is possible that the Tigers have a huge run in them this year. If they do, it likely will come from their bats. Big hitting teams with little pitching rarely end up being among the last standing at season's end.

gobears1987
05-21-2008, 02:04 AM

Garland actually did it twice. He did it in both 05 and 06. It's tough to judge our pitchers by their 07 records as the pen and a horrible offense squandered many quality starts.

thedudeabides
05-21-2008, 02:33 AM

Oblong, I agree. Jim is ready to lose it, and he has said so much. We'll see who it is. I hate the Tigers, but have always loved Leyland, so I'm waiting to see who he calls out.

oeo
05-21-2008, 08:09 AM
Garland actually did it twice. He did it in both 05 and 06. It's tough to judge our pitchers by their 07 records as the pen and a horrible offense squandered many quality starts.

He had a great year in 2005, but was a beneficiary of an excellent offense in 2006. That's why wins don't tell you the whole story.

turners56
05-21-2008, 08:28 AM
The Tigers are obviously not this bad, they can and will turn it around. But, as to winning the division? I don't know.

Contenders? Probably? Division winners? Meh. If they play like this for another 30 days, I would consider them done. But, in baseball, if you have talent like they do, it will eventually start producing.

doublem23
05-21-2008, 08:38 AM
The Tigers are obviously not this bad, they can and will turn it around. But, as to winning the division? I don't know.

Contenders? Probably? Division winners? Meh. If they play like this for another 30 days, I would consider them done. But, in baseball, if you have talent like they do, it will eventually start producing.

They beat up on Seattle last night, but their bullpen reared it's ugly head...

Their last 4 pitchers had this combined line:

3 IP, 9 H, 7 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 1 K, 18.00 ERA, 4.00 WHIP

Seattle scored 7 runs in the last 3 innings and forced Leyland to go to Todd Jones in a game that was at one point, an 11-1 Detroit lead.

ondafarm
05-21-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm still lording it over all the baseball experts who had the Tigers picked to run away with the division. I think the Tigers have fundamental problems and they will improve but not really challenge for the division.

I_Liked_Manuel
05-21-2008, 09:26 AM
i haven't seen verlander pitch other than when he and floyd dueled at the cell in the rain earlier this year - verlander looked fine that day

this is the most telling part of the free press article to me at least -

MOD EDIT: Please do not paste copyrighted text to our boards.

could you imagine what kenny williams would have done if he saw the sox doing that while we were in our slump?

i don't want to make a big deal about this - i just don't know which mod edited my post. what's the limit on what i can quote from an article? from the wsi code of conduct -

You may only quote portions of the text itself to support your statements or discuss said sections.

i had 3 lines - where is the line drawn? i'm not trying to be difficult, i'd just like to know for future reference.

jabrch
05-21-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm still lording it over all the baseball experts who had the Tigers picked to run away with the division. I think the Tigers have fundamental problems and they will improve but not really challenge for the division.

It's really early...Teams have come back from more games with less time with less talent.

That said, the Tigers pitching staff, up and down, is a mess. From their #1 starter down to their closer - they are lacking in pitching skills.

Iwritecode
05-21-2008, 09:50 AM
i don't want to make a big deal about this - i just don't know which mod edited my post. what's the limit on what i can quote from an article? from the wsi code of conduct -

i had 3 lines - where is the line drawn? i'm not trying to be difficult, i'd just like to know for future reference.

Read this. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1816124&postcount=2)

voodoochile
05-21-2008, 09:58 AM

Code obviously needs to be updated, thanks.

Here's a more recent link:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97276

Oblong
05-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Some numbers. I did this last week sometime and may not have included games from the KC sweep but it includes the weekend at AZ.

9-13 in the 22 games where they've allowed 4 runs or less.

24 games where the pitching's given up 5 runs or less, 17 of those games the Tigers scored 4 or less.

I know it might sound silly to say it's the offense when a team's got the highest ERA but the pitching's kept them in more than enough games to be competitve. Especially with a lineup that's supposed to be loaded.

asindc
05-21-2008, 12:11 PM
The way I saw it at the beginning of the season, the Tigers had the fourth-best pitching staff in the division, just ahead of the Royals. Now, I would put it last. I didn't think Rogers or Willis had much left, they are missing Rodney and Zumaya more than most people seemed to think, and Bonderman is Garland-lite. I think Verlander and Bonderman will eventually pitch to their potential, but until they get back Rodney and Zumaya, I don't expect them to make a big move.

soxpride724
05-21-2008, 12:46 PM
So does anyone actually think this team can rebound from their dismal start? I say no, not with thier bullpen situation and stellar starting pitching, or lack thereof. To the previous posters who stated that they were glad we didn't get Cabrera, I'm right there with ya.

whitesox901
05-21-2008, 12:55 PM
I used to remeber walkin in the halls (almost like a prophit) preaching the lack of Tigers Pitching. But theyre all giving it up already, givin its only a month and a half, but theyre all scrapping the Tiggers and fashioning the Red Wings and Pistons. But Theyres still always a good heated discussion once a week with the die hards

veeter
05-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Isn't it about time for Leyland to walk way?Kind of like when he bailed from Colorado when things were tough?

PolishPower83
05-21-2008, 01:36 PM

Man, that was classic!

southside rocks
05-21-2008, 02:10 PM

Every time I read about the Tigers this year so far, it reminds me so much of the '07 White Sox that I feel queasy just bringing back those memories.

The part of the article about the players not watching tape of that night's pitcher made me do a double-take. I like to think that kind of crap won't be allowed by the manager in the Sox clubhouse. Maybe that's why Ozzie said that he's going to be his old bigmouth self this year: maybe he saw stuff like that last year, didn't address it then, and later wished that he had.

M. Cabrera's had the 'lack of work ethic' rap for a while, from what I read and hear. I don't know if it's based in fact, or how much that has to do with his struggles this year, but I too am not sorry that KW didn't get that particular deal done.

I had to laugh when I heard someone on XM the other day quote Grilli saying that the 'chemistry' of the team was destroyed when Sean Casey was not re-signed. Sean and Carl Everett, they've got the magic, apparently!

turners56
05-21-2008, 03:24 PM
They beat up on Seattle last night, but their bullpen reared it's ugly head...

Their last 4 pitchers had this combined line:

3 IP, 9 H, 7 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 1 K, 18.00 ERA, 4.00 WHIP

Seattle scored 7 runs in the last 3 innings and forced Leyland to go to Todd Jones in a game that was at one point, an 11-1 Detroit lead.

Their bullpen isn't as bad as we think it is. I read somewhere that they had a 3.90 ERA combined ERA in there earlier this week. Due to last night's game however, it might be somewhere around the low 4s.

russ99
05-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Every time I read about the Tigers this year so far, it reminds me so much of the '07 White Sox that I feel queasy just bringing back those memories.

The part of the article about the players not watching tape of that night's pitcher made me do a double-take. I like to think that kind of crap won't be allowed by the manager in the Sox clubhouse. Maybe that's why Ozzie said that he's going to be his old bigmouth self this year: maybe he saw stuff like that last year, didn't address it then, and later wished that he had.

M. Cabrera's had the 'lack of work ethic' rap for a while, from what I read and hear. I don't know if it's based in fact, or how much that has to do with his struggles this year, but I too am not sorry that KW didn't get that particular deal done.

I had to laugh when I heard someone on XM the other day quote Grilli saying that the 'chemistry' of the team was destroyed when Sean Casey was not re-signed. Sean and Carl Everett, they've got the magic, apparently!

The thing that gets me was how Kenny was roundly blasted by fans and the media after missing out on Cabrera, Hunter and (a lesser extent) Renteria.

Granted, the season's only a third of the way through, but he looks like a genius now. Interesting how things turn around...

JermaineDye05
05-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080521&content_id=2742758&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

So much for that contract extension.

thomas35forever
05-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080521&content_id=2742758&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

So much for that contract extension.
I still can't believe we all got worked up when the Tigers got both him and Cabrera.

JermaineDye05
05-21-2008, 06:02 PM
I still can't believe we all got worked up when the Tigers got both him and Cabrera.

I can't believe he had a no hitter through 5+ innings against us.

DSpivack
05-21-2008, 06:12 PM

That would be because Cabrera is one of the best hitters in baseball.

asindc
05-21-2008, 06:36 PM

It's hard to believe for me as well. Willis?!? What you talkin' bout?

Oblong
05-21-2008, 07:16 PM
The thing about the tape is overblown. It was Bob Nightengale who wrote it and he's not exactly a reliable source. It was a snapshot of the clubhouse. The guys show up 5 hours before game time. That's a lot of time to fill. They don't spend the whole 5 hours studying. For all he knows they were watching it before he got there. Magglio did get 3 hits and Cabrera homered off Haren that night.

Bottom line is when teams win they have good chemistry and when they lose they have bad chemistry.

Optipessimism
05-21-2008, 07:22 PM
The thing about the tape is overblown. It was Bob Nightengale who wrote it and he's not exactly a reliable source. It was a snapshot of the clubhouse. The guys show up 5 hours before game time. That's a lot of time to fill. They don't spend the whole 5 hours studying. For all he knows they were watching it before he got there. Magglio did get 3 hits and Cabrera homered off Haren that night.

Bottom line is when teams win they have good chemistry and when they lose they have bad chemistry.
Oblong:

I looked on your message board at this Leyland thread: http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60259 and was surprised to see that the biggest ******* message board poster in the world is a Tigers fan called 'The Strategy Expert.' Is this guy joking or is he really that big of a jag?

Oblong
05-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Oblong:

I looked on your message board at this Leyland thread: http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60259 and was surprised to see that the biggest ******* message board poster in the world is a Tigers fan called 'The Strategy Expert.' Is this guy joking or is he really that big of a jag?

Yes he's either that big of a jag or a ruse. We haven't quite figured it out yet. It's hard to be that stupid so I tend to believe he's just goofing around.

Oblong
05-21-2008, 07:41 PM
I also think Willis is going to the bullpen to continue refining his control and to step in when Kenny Rogers eventually goes on the DL or retires or gets pulled. He's been shaky most of the year.

Daver
05-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Yes he's either that big of a jag or a ruse. We haven't quite figured it out yet. It's hard to be that stupid so I tend to believe he's just goofing around.

Utter stupidity is not all that difficult, trust me I've been an admin here for a lot of years.

Madscout
05-21-2008, 08:31 PM
This is what they get for trying to squeeze all the sluggers in their lineup that are playing out of position, and really don't play good d in the first place. Crappy d to back up pitching that has been pitching out of its mind until this season, with a shaky bullpen. Someone needs to tell their GM that baseball=/= fantasy baseball