PDA

View Full Version : The Night the Standing Started

Law11
05-20-2008, 03:49 PM
This past road trip got me thinking back to 2000(?) after the Sox swept through NY and Cleveland and came home to a thunderous standing O which to this day (to a certain extent) still happens. I was lucky enough to be at that memorable
night and hope tonight's crowd will get off their butts and show these guys some love.

GlassSox
05-20-2008, 03:52 PM
We will be there tonight and we ALWAYS stand and cheer when our team takes the field.

cws05champ
05-20-2008, 03:55 PM
This past road trip got me thinking back to 2000(?) after the Sox swept through NY and Cleveland and came home to a thunderous standing O which to this day (to a certain extent) still happens. I was lucky enough to be at that memorable
night and hope tonight's crowd will get off their butts and show these guys some love.
I was a walk up for that game and got a seat in the UD....I had chills during that opening crowd clapping and roar. Something I'll never forget. Wish I could be there tonight!!

doublem23
05-20-2008, 03:56 PM
I was at that game, too. Kip Wells tossed a good game, Herbert Perry hit a homer... I still have my scorecard at home somwhere. :cool:

What a season that was.

skobabe8
05-20-2008, 04:01 PM
I was at that game, too. Kip Wells tossed a good game, Herbert Perry hit a homer... I still have my scorecard at home somwhere. :cool:

What a season that was.

Was that a winner?

doublem23
05-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Was that a winner?

Sox 6, Indians 1 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200006190.shtml)

God, that was a great game. I remember heading to the park with my dad and there were Indian fans everywhere talking **** about how they were just in a little slump and how there was nothing to worry about. That shut them up.

Maybe the only game I witnessed in person that was definitely better was the Famous Manny Alexander ****ed up touching 2B and getting the force at 2nd Cubs/Sox game (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA199907090.shtml).

kevingrt
05-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Sec 546 I think I was in for that game. It was an amazing feeling for a regular season game. One of the only better feelings at I had at a regular season game was Crede's walk off versus the Jndians in '05.

But I won't be there tonight but hope they get one hell of an ovation. I'll give them one when I am there tomorrow though.

voodoochile
05-20-2008, 04:28 PM
I was at that game in 2000 too. What an experience. I was thinking about it a bit recently too. Yeah, sweeping SF doesn't have the same emotional impact as sweeping Cleveland and NY, especially when they blew the Yankees out early in the final game, but it's still nice to come home from a successful road trip and be greeted by the fans.

Give 'em a little extra love tonight. They definitely deserve it...

bigdommer
05-20-2008, 04:50 PM
I will never forget that game. A friend of mine (Cubs' fan) lost a bet and had to be DD and buy tickets for a group of us. Probably as far down the left field line as you can get in the UD, about five rows from the top. Worst seats I have ever had at the Cell, but quite possibly the most pleasant experience. No way they were losing that night, even with Colon dealing.

Law11
05-20-2008, 05:09 PM
If i remember right they had a huge walk up that night.
Funny how something so in the moment turned into a tradition now 8 years running. (Granted you get some folks who just kinda look at you now)
But I hope that road trip set the stage for righting this ship and getting on a huge run with this home stand.

chisoxfanatic
05-20-2008, 05:15 PM
I wasn't at that infamous game; but, even hearing it on the radio gave me chills.

We will be there tonight and we ALWAYS stand and cheer when our team takes the field.

Gene Honda doesn't have to prompt me to get "on my feet" either. I'm standing immediately when Thunderstruck begins. This team definitely deserves a stadium-sized ovation for that road trip.

I wonder how many Cleveland fans will be in the house.

Corlose 15
05-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Maybe the only game I witnessed in person that was definitely better was the Famous Manny Alexander ****ed up touching 2B and getting the force at 2nd Cubs/Sox game (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA199907090.shtml).

I was at that game. Cub fans were none too happy.:cool:

doublem23
05-20-2008, 05:23 PM

Yeah they did. The Sox only averaged aroud 25,000/night in 2000, but that Indians game nearly sold out, IIRC. My dad and I were walk-ups and the best we could get were seats in the Upper Bowl. I might actually still have that ticket stub back home in a box somwhere.

voodoochile
05-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Funny how something so in the moment turned into a tradition now 8 years running. (Granted you get some folks who just kinda look at you now)
But I hope that road trip set the stage for righting this ship and getting on a huge run with this home stand.

It was a half priced Monday to boot

rwcescato
05-20-2008, 05:29 PM

I was at that game too. It was real exciting day. The fans just stood up and went nuts. its to bad the city of chicago could care a less about us now. i think its worse than ever. mike Downy is the only non partison reporter in the city. He will probably be fired soon for not standing with the flubs. Lets just keep winning and the win the whole thing just to get the rest of chicago mad at us. Its our time to win it again. Its our destiny.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-20-2008, 05:29 PM

I was there in the RF seats, and I remember when the video started up showing the highlights. It was the NY highlights that the fans rose, and stayed standing through the intros. It was awesome.

kevingrt
05-20-2008, 05:31 PM
I was there in the RF seats, and I remember when the video started up showing the highlights. It was the NY highlights that the fans rose, and stayed standing through the intros. It was awesome.

Hopefully Brooks is reading, :D:.

Aka, show highlights of our 7-3 road trip.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-20-2008, 05:33 PM

Big time. It's times like that I hate being at home, because seeing that stuff AT the park, ON screen, is great!!!

Law11
05-20-2008, 05:35 PM

Youre so on the mark with that thought..

Walker29
05-20-2008, 05:37 PM
I too was at the game in 2000. I bought the 1/2 price tickets at the old White Sox Clubhouse store in Oak Brook Mall. We were in the front row of UD in Left Field. Traffic was so bad (due to the huge walk up for sure) that I missed the standing ovation, the win made it 8 in a row, right?

soxwon
05-20-2008, 06:01 PM
300,000 fans will go thru our gates the next 6 games.
If its not, YOUR notdoing your part.

voodoochile
05-20-2008, 06:09 PM

Rev rev reverevrev... You're not actually starting a negative attendance thread at WSI now are ya'?

I think you know better than that...

DSpivack
05-20-2008, 06:16 PM

The stadium only seats 40,000. :scratch:

Brian26
05-20-2008, 08:36 PM
the win made it 8 in a row, right?

Yes, and it also capped off a 17-2 run which basically won the division for them. Cleveland was eight or nine games back at that point, which was too much to recover from.

soxwon
05-20-2008, 10:25 PM
The stadium only seats 40,000. :scratch:

so there should be 50,000 SRO.
Actually i cant blame anyone here, we do our part.
But we are in first place that park should be packed.

SoxandtheCityTee
05-20-2008, 10:45 PM

A bunch of us from my office decided to go last minute. What a great, great night.

skottyj242
05-21-2008, 09:56 AM

I am confused.

roylestillman
05-21-2008, 10:11 AM
I almost forgot about the fact that we used to stand without the "on your feet" prompting.

This was also the origin of the opening montage, or as Hawk used to call it the "Soreboard Sonata." Does anyone have a link to that original video, or at least the song that was played over it?

BainesHOF
05-21-2008, 10:17 AM

Bingo!

alohafri
05-21-2008, 10:36 AM
You are welcome. ;) I like to think I started that. We were sitting at the outside tables in the Bullpen Bar. I started clapping before anything started to happen. Others in the BPB followed suit. Mrs. Aloha said, "looks like you started something."

skottyj242
05-21-2008, 10:38 AM
I started the wave at that game.

daveeym
05-21-2008, 10:59 AM
A buddy of mine had an extra ticket in the first or second row behind the sox dugout for me for this game. Jesse Jackson was sitting across the aisle from us and gave us some memorable moments. But what I remembered most was the team coming out to Thunderstruck. It was definitely my first experience with Thunderstruck as the intro and I thought that was the first time that it was used for taking the field. I may be wrong about that though.

TomBradley72
05-21-2008, 12:44 PM
I started the wave at that game.

:angry::puking:

whitesox901
05-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Sportstime Ohio's broadcasters were talking when the Sox took the field. how big was last nights ovation?

schmitty9800
05-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Sportstime Ohio's broadcasters were talking when the Sox took the field. how big was last nights ovation?

Seemed pretty good to me.

The best was the standing O we gave Quentin when he came out to LF after his homer, that was awesome.

DoItForDanPasqua
05-26-2008, 10:33 AM
I almost forgot about the fact that we used to stand without the "on your feet" prompting.

Right, it now seems kind of forced and phony with Gene Honda prompting the fans to stand. I think it also put the Get Up Guy out of business.

stacksedwards
05-26-2008, 01:15 PM
whatever Gene Honda tells me to do, I do

turners56
05-26-2008, 01:31 PM
whatever Gene Honda tells me to do, I do

Gene is a man of wisdom, listen to his words. :worship:

StatManDu
05-26-2008, 04:10 PM
Here is my blog entry from that day:

2000: The White Sox were welcomed back to ComiskeyPark by a rousing standing ovation as they took the field for a game with the Cleveland Indians. The game started a tradition in which the ComiskeyPark faithful would rise as the “Home Run of the Century” video was displayed on the center field scoreboard. The Sox treated the sellout crowd of 43,062 to a 6-1 win over Cleveland. Herbert Perry ignited a three-run fifth with a leadoff homer and Kip Wells got the victory with 6.2 shutout innings.