PDA

View Full Version : Bring Up Chris Getz

nevr say dye sox
05-20-2008, 11:49 AM
I think the Sox should bring up Chris Getz and send Rameirz down. Getz has been tearing up AAA as of late he's batting .291 with 5 HR. If they told him to take a lot of pitches and concentrate on singles, I think he'd be a big improvement to Uribe or Rameriz in the 9 hole. Also he could steal a few bases as well. I know Rmeriz hit the homer last week, but he's horrible at the plate and with Uribe hurt this would be a great time to see what the kid could do.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-20-2008, 12:00 PM
I think the Sox should bring up Chris Getz and send Rameirz down. Getz has been tearing up AAA as of late he's batting .291 with 5 HR. If they told him to take a lot of pitches and concentrate on singles, I think he'd be a big improvement to Uribe or Rameriz in the 9 hole. Also he could steal a few bases as well. I know Rmeriz hit the homer last week, but he's horrible at the plate and with Uribe hurt this would be a great time to see what the kid could do.

First of all Alexei's last name is Ramirez. Just like it sounds and anyway with Uribe hurt RAMIREZ is finally getting the at bats he needs and he has been doing pretty well. If Uribe goes on the DL then I say why not.

Anyway at this point the organization wants Chris to Getz (couldn't resist) more at bats.

TomBradley72
05-20-2008, 12:05 PM
I disagree. Ramirez is 5/15 over the last few games, brings speed, a plus arm, ability to bunt to the party. Plus he can also play CF and SS. Getz doesn't really bring any incremental value to the team.

ondafarm
05-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Depends on Uribe. If he goes to the DL, then I'd say Getz should come up. You always want at least two guys at each position active. Currently at 2B we have Ramirez and please don't say Ozuna can play there.

nevr say dye sox
05-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Ramirez is still batting .211 and that's with going 5/15 is his last 15 AB's. He still can't hit a curve ball, and if he's filling in for Uribe at 2B how much of a plus arm do you need. Anderson is playing well enough for a back up outfield role. Let Ramirez go to AAA and figure out how to hit a breaking ball and let's see what Getz can do. He might be the shining star in our farm system. I don't think there are any negatives in bringing him up right now.

hi im skot
05-20-2008, 01:16 PM
I disagree. Ramirez is 5/15 over the last few games, brings speed, a plus arm, ability to bunt to the party.

And that's a party that I want to attend.

:cool:

Craig Grebeck
05-20-2008, 01:18 PM
I disagree. Ramirez is 5/15 over the last few games, brings speed, a plus arm, ability to bunt to the party. Plus he can also play CF and SS. Getz doesn't really bring any incremental value to the team.
I'd say Getz brings plus defense and the ability to hit the ball.

russ99
05-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Ramirez is still batting .211 and that's with going 5/15 is his last 15 AB's. He still can't hit a curve ball, and if he's filling in for Uribe at 2B how much of a plus arm do you need. Anderson is playing well enough for a back up outfield role. Let Ramirez go to AAA and figure out how to hit a breaking ball and let's see what Getz can do. He might be the shining star in our farm system. I don't think there are any negatives in bringing him up right now.

Why would you think that Getz would bring a drastic improvement at the major league level? He's doing well at AAA, why not leave him there all season where he can play well every day and further develop his skills?

Ramirez may be a bit overmatched with good breaking pitches, but he's improving as a hitter at the major league level. He can also fill in at SS (where he's better defensively) when Cabrera needs a day off, and yes, despite the Anderson man love around here, he's also a decent backup in the outfield. I don't see the benefit of sending him to AAA at this point. He may hit well in Charlotte, but who's to say how much he'd improve when brought back up.

While Ramirez may be the future at SS, Getz may be the future at 2B as well, so why rush him to the bigs to sit on the bench and stagnate like so many of our failed former prospects.

If Richar is healthy and hitting well, then that's another issue, but for now it's better to leave both Ramirez and Getz where they are.

Bob G
05-20-2008, 01:22 PM
I would bring up Brad Eldred - hitting 296 with 15 HR's, 41 RBI's and a 1035 OPS. Especially if PK goes on the DL.

Speaking of PK - I would let him rest that bad hand for another day and have Swish play 1B today. PK doesn't hit CC very well ... not that anyone else does either. Thome should also sit today but I doubt that will happen since he didn't play much over the weekend plus someone has to DH.

Carolina Kenny
05-20-2008, 01:23 PM
I'd say Getz brings plus defense and the ability to hit the ball.

Everyone knows we have the worst minor league system in baseball. You can't bring Getz up.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-20-2008, 01:29 PM
PK doesn't hit CC very well ... not that anyone else does either. Thome should also sit today but I doubt that will happen since he didn't play much over the weekend plus someone has to DH.

Don't forget that Thome hit 2 HR's off of CC on opening day.

cws05champ
05-20-2008, 01:50 PM
This is a sad sad reality....

oeo
05-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Getz is batting .214/.304/.271 on the road vs. .366/.400/.648 at home. Sounds like he's benefiting from a hitter's ballpark. :dunno:

nevr say dye sox
05-20-2008, 02:31 PM
good then play him at US Cellular and put Uribe in on the road.

munchman33
05-20-2008, 02:36 PM
good then play him at Charlotte and put Uribe on waivers

fixed it for you.

nevr say dye sox
05-20-2008, 02:41 PM
we tried putting Uribe on waivers and nobody claimed him. I think we should play Anderson in CF, move Swisher 1st, and put Getz at 2nd. Put PK on the DL and let him heal his hand.

kevingrt
05-20-2008, 02:48 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what Getz brings to the 25 man roster that Ramirez doesn't already bring, and I have yet to find it in this thread.

Chicken Dinner
05-20-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what Getz brings to the 25 man roster that Ramirez doesn't already bring, and I have yet to find it in this thread.

Just the Uribe haters out again thinking that there is a crop of "major league ready" players down in Charlotte.

redsand22
05-20-2008, 02:56 PM
we tried putting Uribe on waivers and nobody claimed him. I think we should play Anderson in CF, move Swisher 1st, and put Getz at 2nd. Put PK on the DL and let him heal his hand.
Uribe was claimed wasn't he? But we pulled him back. I thought he was claimed by the Dodgers but I could be wrong.

spawn
05-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Sometimes, I wonder why I even bother reading threads like these.

cws05champ
05-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Uribe was claimed wasn't he? But we pulled him back. I thought he was claimed by the Dodgers but I could be wrong.
Yes, there were two teams I beleive that had interest. One of them were the Dodgers.

russ99
05-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Just the Uribe haters out again thinking that there is a crop of "major league ready" players down in Charlotte.

Well, there sorta is with Fields, Owens and Richar. I'm still hoping those guys get to contribute to the Sox sometime this season.

Remember, the 25 you start a season with is rarely the 25 you end a season with...

doublem23
05-20-2008, 03:01 PM

He might be a little more polished than Alexei, but I think that's neutralized by Alexei's ridiculous natural athleticism.

:dunno:

I'd be all for bringing up Getz is Uribe has to go to the DL and/or Ramirez cools down, but I don't see why you'd pull Alexei now that he appears to be hitting the ball.

IMO, the most important thing right now is to keep feeding Ramirez at bats. If they're in Charlotte, so be it, but if he can play everyday here, why not? As far as raw athleticism and potential goes, I think he's the best player the Sox have "brought up" since Mike Cameron. He's got a chance to be a very special player, IMO.

KRS1
05-20-2008, 03:02 PM

Excellent eye, and plate patience. Great ability to work the count and take a walk. Excellent BB/K ratio, and oh yeah, he doesn't swing from his heels every pitch.

Daver
05-20-2008, 03:05 PM

Pure amusement?

Chicken Dinner
05-20-2008, 03:08 PM
Well, there sorta is with Fields, Owens and Richar. I'm still hoping those guys get to contribute to the Sox sometime this season.

Remember, the 25 you start a season with is rarely the 25 you end a season with...

I do too but after September 1st. If we see any of those guys we've suffered an injury. And it is rare that you make it through 162 games without an injury to your starting 25. This team is in 1st place! Ride what you have and don't mess with success.

oeo
05-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Excellent eye, and plate patience. Great ability to work the count and take a walk. Excellent BB/K ratio, and oh yeah, he doesn't swing from his heels every pitch.

I'm a big fan of Getz, but his road splits don't excite me. I don't think he's ready to come in and do anything more than we're already getting.

BTW, you can say a lot of this about Danny Richar as well, except he has more pop and better pure ability. Keep Alexei there...Richar is supposed to be starting a rehab stint in the next week or so. If things go well, hopefully we see him by mid-June.

nevr say dye sox
05-20-2008, 03:16 PM
KRS 1 at least you know the point I was trying to get across. Look at how many walks Getz has in the minor leagues, what's his on base percentage is compared to Ramierez. I guess the rest of the board enjoys watching 5 of our starters hitting around .200. I was under the impression the idea of a 9 hole hitter was to take walks, get base hits, steal bases, so that when the top of the line up comes up we have somebody on base. I guess I'm wrong, lets watch Ramierez swing from his heels. My whole point is Getz is not a power hitter who swings from his ass. He's a contact guy, so for him to come up and play here and there will not affect him as much as a power hitter by not playing every day, because power hitting is about timing. I forgot this board if full of MLB scouts.

kittle42
05-20-2008, 03:35 PM
I forgot this board if full of MLB scouts.

drillrod, is that you?

spawn
05-20-2008, 03:39 PM
You know, I really get tired of people saying this ****. You've just given your opinion, just like others in this thread. Does that make you an MLB scout too? *****.:rolleyes: Just because you've given your opinion doesn't mean you're a ****ing expert. I give my opinion here all the time, and I never claim to be an expert. Hell, I'm probably wrong half of the time, which is why I'm sitting at a desk giving my opinion on a message board instead of working for an MLB team.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-20-2008, 03:43 PM
You know, I really get tired of people saying this ****. You've just given your opinion, just like others in this thread. Does that make you an MLB scout too? *****.:rolleyes:

Actually, nevr say dye sox is an actual scout. I did a google search for him and found this picture.

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2006/10/02/topper-scout.jpg

doublem23
05-20-2008, 03:47 PM
He's a contact guy, so for him to come up and play here and there will not affect him as much as a power hitter by not playing every day, because power hitting is about timing.

What a ****ing joke, all hitting is about timing. You realize, contact or power, you only have a few tenths of a second to think about swinging and bring your bat to contact the ball. I'm sure hitting the ball 400 feet 30-40 times a year takes a little more skill/luck, but don't pretend like any ******* with a bat can walk up to a 90-MPH fastball and just start hacking away for hits because he's swinging for "contact."

I'm sorry that most of us don't feel Chris Getz is a marked improvement over Ramirez, but what makes your opinion that much more informed? Most of us have been wrong, I do believe when Aaron Rowand was first called up I said something like "he'll never be a starting CF on a championship-caliber team. Whoops. I've had enough of random posters belittling the collective intelligence of this board's regulars for "just being fans." The whole ****ing point of WSI is so that regular Joe fans like us can get together and discuss the Sox. I don't think the front office is too worried whether or not we collectively approve of a move or not before it's made. Otherwise, we'd probably never traded for Freddy Garcia and Javier Vazquez.

Frater Perdurabo
05-20-2008, 05:28 PM

Pure amusement?

It's like beating your head against the wall. When you stop, it feels good. :tongue:

Harry Chappas
05-21-2008, 01:42 PM
KRS 1 at least you know the point I was trying to get across. Look at how many walks Getz has in the minor leagues, what's his on base percentage is compared to Ramierez. I guess the rest of the board enjoys watching 5 of our starters hitting around .200. I was under the impression the idea of a 9 hole hitter was to take walks, get base hits, steal bases, so that when the top of the line up comes up we have somebody on base. I guess I'm wrong, lets watch Ramierez swing from his heels. My whole point is Getz is not a power hitter who swings from his ass. He's a contact guy, so for him to come up and play here and there will not affect him as much as a power hitter by not playing every day, because power hitting is about timing. I forgot this board if full of MLB scouts.

You're making an apples to oranges comparison. Ramirez stats are at the MLB level whereas Getz come from Birmingham. Furthermore, unless you attend a lot of Barons games, I'm not sure how you could offer such a complete assessment of Getz ability. On paper, he looks pretty good but I have no idea if he has range, a 'plus' arm, speed, etc. At least the fans of Ramirez have seen, first hand, glimpses of his potential.

RCWHITESOX
05-21-2008, 02:22 PM
I say attempt to get Chone Figgins and in Ramirez we have a player in a year or two who may be a fixture at second base.If we could get Figgins he would solve the leadoff problem; and could quite possibly be the missing piece to a great season.

nevr say dye sox
05-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Harry Chappas lets put it this way, my relationship and understanding of the Sox top three prospects is closer than any of these people who think they know about talent. I hope Ramirez does well, because that means the Sox are doing well, I simply feel Getz time has come to see what he can do. And it is evident that doublem23 has never played any level of baseball higher than little league, otherwise he would have never made his comment.

If you bring up a prospect who is a power hitter from the minors they often have a hard time playing some nights and sitting some nights. Power hitting is a lot of timing and you get this through playing night in and night out. A Getz like player can play here and there, because he hits for contact and puts the ball in play which is easier to do if you not playing everyday. However doublem23 knows that!:whiner:

Daver
05-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Harry Chappas lets put it this way, my relationship and understanding of the Sox top three prospects is closer than any of these people who think they know about talent. I hope Ramirez does well, because that means the Sox are doing well, I simply feel Getz time has come to see what he can do. And it is evident that doublem23 has never played any level of baseball higher than little league, otherwise he would have never made his comment.

If you bring up a prospect who is a power hitter from the minors they often have a hard time playing some nights and sitting some nights. Power hitting is a lot of timing and you get this through playing night in and night out. A Getz like player can play here and there, because he hits for contact and puts the ball in play which is easier to do if you not playing everyday. However doublem23 knows that!:whiner:

All hitting is timing, who are you trying to kid?

doublem23
05-21-2008, 03:43 PM

Obviously the reason I never played organized ball past high school was that I didn't go to the plate just looking to "hit for contact." Any idiot can do that! No skill required.

:rolleyes:

Ri. Dic. U. Lous.

A.T. Money
05-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Let's not get crazy. Ramirez is just starting to play well.

What's with some of you people. Can't you just enjoy a 6-game winning streak without being Arm Chair GMs and bitching?????

Bitch bitch bitch.

kittle42
05-21-2008, 04:06 PM
And the streak of wonderful new posters with personal attacks and "I know more than you" attitudes continues...what happened this offseason???

kittle42
05-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Let's not get crazy. Ramirez is just starting to play well.

What's with some of you people. Can't you just enjoy a 6-game winning streak without being Arm Chair GMs and bitching?????

Bitch bitch bitch.

We're the same people bitching when they lose 6 in a row and being told "dark clouds - don't worry."

Are we ever allowed to bitch, or should I contact drillrod for the answer to that?

A.T. Money
05-21-2008, 04:17 PM
We're the same people bitching when they lose 6 in a row and being told "dark clouds - don't worry."

Are we ever allowed to bitch, or should I contact drillrod for the answer to that?

I'm all for bitching when there is a need to bitch...believe me.

It just seems like I can't get through 3 threads without some kind of bitching.

Why so angry? When Jerry Manuel "tinkered" and changed the lineup like he changed underwear, people bitched.

When Ozzie keeps the same lineup, people bitched.

When Ozzie changed the lineup, people bitched.

So now we find a formula that has been working the last 6 games, and now people are trying to tinker...which will lead to more bitching.

But what do I know? I'm just a fan. I'm not the Arm Chair GM.

kittle42
05-21-2008, 04:19 PM
So now we find a formula that has been working the last 6 games, and now people are trying to tinker...which will lead to more bitching.

I don't think they should change anything right now. They have no better options.

A.T. Money
05-21-2008, 04:23 PM
I don't think they should change anything right now. They have no better options.

Well then, we agree.

So what's the purpose of this thread? Why are some people here in need of a change? We are in first place right now aren't we? We're starting to play some better ball. I just don't get it.

kittle42
05-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Well then, we agree.

So what's the purpose of this thread? Why are some people here in need of a change? We are in first place right now aren't we? We're starting to play some better ball. I just don't get it.

Haven't you heard Chris Getz is the next Ryne Sandberg?

A.T. Money
05-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Haven't you heard Chris Getz is the next Ryne Sandberg?

Well then, I say let's put him in the lineup. We can bat him second like ol' Ryno too.