PDA

View Full Version : Downey: Sox have NO All-Stars

the1tab
05-20-2008, 08:23 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-080519-chicago-white-sox-first-place-downey,0,7107049.column

Apparently being the league leader in homers and being near the top in RBI doesn't get Quentin in because of all the other AL OFs that are putting up better numbers than he is...

VOTE OFTEN. I voted on three old work email addresses and it went thru. Max em out for your team to be better represented than however Francona feels.

oeo
05-20-2008, 08:30 AM
He's an idiot. Quentin is an early season MVP candidate...if he keeps it up, he will be there regardless of 'all those big-name AL outfielders.' Memo to Downey: Quentin is on his way to being one of those 'big-name AL outfielders.'

He won't start, but I find it really hard to believe that Francona wouldn't take him.

turners56
05-20-2008, 08:31 AM
He has a small point, there are a lot of good outfielders a bunch people will vote for and a guy in the name of Josh Hamilton in front of him. I like how Downey is standing up for the Sox though.

oeo
05-20-2008, 08:33 AM
He has a small point, there are a lot of good outfielders a bunch people will vote for and a guy in the name of Josh Hamilton in front of him. I like how Downey is standing up for the Sox though.

The fans only vote for the starters and the final man. The manager gets the call on the other guys.

turners56
05-20-2008, 08:40 AM
The fans only vote for the starters and the final man. The manager gets the call on the other guys.

Well, if you look at it this way, Ramirez will get voted in, so will Ichiro. Maybe Magglio Ordonez, Bobby Abreu, or Vlad for the last voted in spot. How many OFs is Francona going to need? 6 or 7 at most? You have at least 3 fan-favorites who will make the team and maybe 4 that Francona will take himself. So you would probably have Guerrero on the team, Abreu on the team, Hamilton on the team, and Quentin as a possible last candidate? He has a definite chance to make it, but the fact that nobody knows about him is really going to hurt his chances, even though Francona isn't a complete idiot.

gregoriop
05-20-2008, 08:41 AM
I think the OP missed the point of his article. He's sticking up for the Sox but just saying that a lot of the stars are doing poorly and the people that ARE doing well have a lot of competition at their positions.

kittle42
05-20-2008, 08:43 AM
If Quentin doesn't go, Jenks or Vazquez will, depending on how things shake out. I am pretty sure the Sox will only get one, though.

sox1970
05-20-2008, 08:45 AM
If Quentin maintains his offensive rankings, there's no way he won't be on the team.

spawn
05-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Aftrer reading the article, I can't really aruge with him. He's not saying the Sox don't deserve to have an All-Star representative from the poisition players. He's basically saying from a baseball politics perspective, they won't. Either Rodriguez or Varitek will be voted in. For the one who isn't, Francona will pick that player or Joe Mauer. Quentin isn't on the ballot, so he won't be voted in, and the outfield position is pretty deep. i'm not saying he won't be chosen, but he's going to have to really open eyes on the national level to have a chance. Crede won't make it because A-Rod will most likely be voted in, and Francona will bring Lowell as a reserve.

thedudeabides
05-20-2008, 09:49 AM
I think TCQ has a good shot. Between Vlad, Maggs, Abraeu, Manny I could see one or two of them being banged up or not interested in going. It would be tough to keep out Quentin or Hamilton. They have both been monsters, so far.

guillen4life13
05-20-2008, 11:02 AM
I think TCQ has a good shot. Between Vlad, Maggs, Abraeu, Manny I could see one or two of them being banged up or not interested in going. It would be tough to keep out Quentin or Hamilton. They have both been monsters, so far.

Hamilton's got the whole life story helping him. A lot of people (myself included) are really pulling for him. I just happen to be a Sox fan and be aware of Quentin's play thus far. But I'm also voting for Hamilton on my ballots. Quentin, Hamilton and Ichiro are my outfield votes.

Chicken Dinner
05-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Aftrer reading the article, I can't really aruge with him. He's not saying the Sox don't deserve to have an All-Star representative from the poisition players. He's basically saying from a baseball politics perspective, they won't. Either Rodriguez or Varitek will be voted in. For the one who isn't, Francona will pick that player or Joe Mauer. Quentin isn't on the ballot, so he won't be voted in, and the outfield position is pretty deep. i'm not saying he won't be chosen, but he's going to have to really open eyes on the national level to have a chance. Crede won't make it because A-Rod will most likely be voted in, and Francona will bring Lowell as a reserve.

I see nothing wrong with the article, just people posting without reading it.

Gammons Peter
05-20-2008, 11:30 AM

whats with all the "TCQ" stuff? who started it?

fquaye149
05-20-2008, 11:36 AM
well, we'll have at least ONE all star :shrug:

spiffie
05-20-2008, 11:46 AM
If not TCQ, what about Floyd? 7th in ERA, 8th in WHIP, and 3rd in H/9 in the AL. If he can keep that up to the all-star break, he would seem to be in the running.

oeo
05-20-2008, 11:47 AM

If Quentin keeps this up, he's a no doubter. Just because he's not in the national spotlight does not mean Francona won't notice him.

Quentin is having an MVP-like year so far. He's been better than Manny, Maggs, etc. It's not like he's one of those guys that get left off while having a pretty good year, he's having an excellent year. He won't get left off if he keeps his level anywhere close to where it is now.

spawn
05-20-2008, 12:08 PM
If Quentin keeps this up, he's a no doubter. Just because he's not in the national spotlight does not mean Francona won't notice him.

Quentin is having an MVP-like year so far. He's been better than Manny, Maggs, etc. It's not like he's one of those guys that get left off while having a pretty good year, he's having an excellent year. He won't get left off if he keeps his level anywhere close to where it is now.
Francona noticing him and Francona choosing him are two different things entirely. I'm not aruging that if he keeps this up he won't deserve a spot. I just wonder if Francona will take him. There have been plenty of 'no-doubters' left off of All-Star rosters before.

Tekijawa
05-20-2008, 12:17 PM
What about Greg Walker? And I'm pretty sure that there are probably a couple of guys who want McDougal there throwing them BP for the HR contest?

russ99
05-20-2008, 12:32 PM
With wonder boy Papelbon stinking up the place in Beantown, how does Jenks not get on the All Star team?!?

We may have to "Punch A.J." again this year. He's having a stellar season and both him and Quentin belong on the team.

jamteh
05-20-2008, 12:48 PM
If he maintains this pace, I'd bet that TCQ will be on the 30th-man All-Star list (or whatever the number is) if he's not chosen. Then it will be up to us to get him in.

EndemicSox
05-20-2008, 12:57 PM
AJ...leading all catchers in OPS...
Crede...leading all 3B in OPS...
Floyd/Jenks...studly performances abound...
Quentin...playing like an MVP...

This team is full of all-star calibre talent, but of course, as an earlier poster pointed out...the WS 'aint the RedSox/Yankees, so they will probably only get 2 at the most...

Gammons Peter
05-20-2008, 01:49 PM

anybody.....

esbrechtel
05-20-2008, 01:49 PM
If TCQ gets in do you think he would participate in the HR derby being that he may be the current AL leader....that being said has the league leader in HRs ever not made the allstar team?

esbrechtel
05-20-2008, 01:51 PM
anybody.....

Kenny started it, it stands for "The Carlos Quentin" he was asked something along the lines of do you want to get an outfielder like Carlos Quentin? He said no I want THE Carlos Quentin....hence TCQ.

spawn
05-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080518&content_id=2729454&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

MUsoxfan
05-20-2008, 02:10 PM
I thought it was an excellent article. He made some really good points

Gammons Peter
05-20-2008, 02:56 PM
thank you

jabrch
05-20-2008, 05:29 PM
You can make a reasonable arguement for AJ, Carlos Q, Jenks, Danks, Javy or Gavin. That said, I see nearly no chance you see more than one unless this team really goes on a TEAR for the next month. (Wouldn't that be nice...)

Railsplitter
05-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Well, there will be no shortage of fish wrappers or birdcage liners after this article.

MarySwiss
05-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Francona noticing him and Francona choosing him are two different things entirely. I'm not aruging that if he keeps this up he won't deserve a spot. I just wonder if Francona will take him. There have been plenty of 'no-doubters' left off of All-Star rosters before.

Yep. The thing I find puzzling year after year is why anyone continues to care. It's a beauty contest; no more, no less. I haven't watched it in years and consider it nothing more than an annoying interruption of the baseball season.

rowand33
05-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Quentin, Floyd, Jenks, and Vazquez all have a shot at being on the team.

Though most likely only one will be.

Probably Quentin or Jenks.

sullythered
05-21-2008, 03:59 PM
The only reason I would care about a lack of White Sox representation on the AL all star team, is that they might run the risk of losing the game without White Sox AWESOMENESS.

I would hate for the Sox not to have home field advantage in the World Series this year.
:walkoff:

rookie
05-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Alright, inspired by the one and only TCQ and The Streak I voted 25 times. I doubt it will make a difference, but you'll never know. Maybe they'll put him for the final fan vote, but I think they learned their lesson with that and Chicago Sox fans after Pods and AJ.

chaerulez
05-23-2008, 08:48 AM
Again another case of WSI members not reading an article and then overreacting to it. He's not saying the Sox don't deserve an all star or have an all star on the roster, he is saying Quentin is their most likely all star but will get passed over due to the number of big name OF players in the AL. He did say Jenks is probably the best bet.

kitekrazy
05-23-2008, 11:02 AM
All Star voting has always been about popularity from the fans. The sane picks are left to the managers.