PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Owens' Groin

Craig Grebeck
05-20-2008, 08:09 AM
If this team contends, if they continue their torrent pitching and Carlos Quentin continues bashing the **** out of the ball, we may say that the turning point of our season occurred when Jerry Owens first went on the shelf with an injured groin.

We were doomed to repeat last year's mistake -- we were ready to hand over an OF position to a player who didn't deserve it. There was a "competition" in the spring, but it had many of the characteristics of last year's Erstad v. Anderson cluster****. Management lauded Jerry's speed and the spark-plug capability he would have at the top. He saved them from themselves.

If not for that injury, where would Carlos Quentin be? There's no doubt in my mind he would have started the year in AAA. BA was firmly entrenched on the roster -- and rightfully so, he is an amazing defender. Carlos seized the opportunity he was given. Right now TCQ is second in the AL in OPS (a hair behind the immortal Milton Bradley), tied for the lead in HR, sports a solid 25/22 K/BB ratio, and has played great defense with the exception of a couple blunders. This is the Carlos Quentin everyone foresaw while he was in the AZ farm system -- only with more power. He is the franchise player on this team.

Where is Jerry Owens? He is with the Charlotte Knights -- sporting a batting line of .224/.298/.284 and 10 SB against 4 CS. At this point, there may be a better chance he's DFA'd than recalled from the minors.

hi im skot
05-20-2008, 09:50 AM
Best thread title ever.

MushMouth
05-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Best thread title ever.

I think this means his groin is burning right now?:redneck

It is true tho - who knows if TCQ would be up with the Sox if Owens was healthy. A beneficial break.

The Critic
05-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Jerry Owens' Groin should write a blog for the Sun-Times.

White City
05-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Was I the only one that opened this thread gingerly, praying there was no photograph?

chisoxfanatic
05-20-2008, 10:21 AM
TCQ is definitely taking advantage of a situation better than I can remember anyone in a long time. I'd think that someone will have to get injured for Owens to get a crack at the lineup once he's completely back to normal. And, we don't want that to happen either, since they're doing quite effectively well without him.

If this pitching continues like it has, the speed Owens could bring to the table won't necessarily be a necessity.

Tragg
05-20-2008, 10:48 AM
It's also fortunate that in his first game he got a hit and in the 2nd he got 2 hits including a homer....he might have been right back on the bench, behind Ramirez, as he was to start the season.

oeo
05-20-2008, 10:56 AM
It's also fortunate that in his first game he got a hit and in the 2nd he got 2 hits including a homer....he might have been right back on the bench, behind Ramirez, as he was to start the season.

You're right. Ramirez lost his job because he wasn't performing (just like any other guy you want to bitch about), and Quentin kept it because he did perform. Is this supposed to be some knock at Ozzie again? He's been consistent with it, and because of the 'put up or shut up' attitude, we have one of the best outfielders in the game this year.

areilly
05-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Best groin ever?

Chicken Dinner
05-20-2008, 11:00 AM
We'll see his groin as a September call up.

PolishPower83
05-20-2008, 11:23 AM
He is the franchise player on this team.

Couldn't agree more. Sox fans will be rooting this guy on for (hopefully) the next decade. I like the way he handles reporters, too. He's like, "Yeah, I hit a grand slam. So what? **** off."

Dan Mega
05-21-2008, 05:53 PM
You're right. Ramirez lost his job because he wasn't performing (just like any other guy you want to bitch about), and Quentin kept it because he did perform. Is this supposed to be some knock at Ozzie again? He's been consistent with it, and because of the 'put up or shut up' attitude, we have one of the best outfielders in the game this year.

What he is saying is that it took an overrated AA player to get injured so that TCQ would even get a chance. Ozzie didn't even have a choice, but hey go ahead and give him credit for going with the only option he had.

bigfoot
05-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Jerry Owens' Groin should write a blog for the Sun-Times.

He already does, byline.....the name that is never mentioned.

chisoxmike
05-21-2008, 10:44 PM
I hope Owens never steps foot inside our clubhouse.

Awesome thread title, though.

hawkjt
05-21-2008, 11:26 PM
What do people have against Jerry Owens? I like his speed, sorry. He can still be helpful...depth is not a bad thing.

Craig Grebeck
05-21-2008, 11:37 PM
What do people have against Jerry Owens? I like his speed, sorry. He can still be helpful...depth is not a bad thing.
Speed with no stick is useless.

chisoxmike
05-21-2008, 11:40 PM
Speed with no stick is useless.

...or glove.

doublem23
05-21-2008, 11:43 PM

I don't think anyone has anything "against" Jerry Owens... I'm sure everyone would want to see him succeed if given the opportunity, but right now there are 4* outfielders in the Sox organization that are better players than him.

*I count Alexei as an outfielder since he's starting at second base right now, but in a pinch, is also a utility outfielder.

Depth is a good thing, however, there's no room for him in Chicago right now.