PDA

View Full Version : Exploding Maple Bats

Foulke You
05-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Maple bats have been talked about here from time to time since they've surfaced and of course the talks of banning or regulating them because of the injury risk they pose to the players and fans. We all know that a lot of the players like them because the wood is harder than the old Ash bats and the feeling is that the ball goes farther when you hit it.

However, I'm shocked that the players don't see that the maple bats are probably taking away more hits than they are giving them. We've seen a lot of exploding maple from our Sox lately especially from Swisher and AJ. There was one AB a couple weeks ago where Swisher swung the bat and it broke without even touching the ball! I also remember a game earlier in the year where AJ hit one right on the sweet spot of the bat and had it explode and he only ended up with a bloop single despite hitting it where it should have been driven deep. I've seen plenty of other hits that appeared to be right on the "sweet meat" of the bat explode and splinter into a million pieces. The explosion and cracking of the bat has to have a negative effect on the trajectory and distance of the baseball that was hit.

When will the Ash or even Birch bats make a comeback? I recently read that 75% of MLB players are using the maple and a good percentage of those are the bats that get double lacquered which makes them harder and even more prone to exploding. I'm tired of seeing hits taken away and like everyone else, I don't want to see a fan or player get impaled with the wood.

doublem23
05-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Well, I don't think anyone is getting impaled any time soon. As for the bats themselves, the argument for them is that they help you get hits by being lighter and helping your bat speed, right? I guess players are willing to live with the trade-off of a hit taken away by an explosion every now and then for the positives that come with a quicker bat through the zone. When those maple bats don't explode, they work very, very well.

Chicken Dinner
05-19-2008, 04:38 PM
I heard on Saturday that MLB is finally going to look into this issue. I think the handles are thinner also giving the players that "whip" effect generating more bat speed. I'm sure that Louisville Slugger doesn't mind though.

BainesHOF
05-19-2008, 04:44 PM
I don't know how true this is, but I heard somewhere that some maple bats are being "baked" to take moisture out of them to make them even lighter. That makes sense in that it would make them more brittle and prone to crack.

I've never seen bats crack at the rate they have this season. And, yes, it is to the point of being dangerous. Jagged pieces are now flying as far as the infielders with regularity.

Foulke You
05-19-2008, 04:57 PM
Well, I don't think anyone is getting impaled any time soon. As for the bats themselves, the argument for them is that they help you get hits by being lighter and helping your bat speed, right? I guess players are willing to live with the trade-off of a hit taken away by an explosion every now and then for the positives that come with a quicker bat through the zone. When those maple bats don't explode, they work very, very well.
I had always heard that in addition to being lighter for greater bat speed, they used the Maple because it was a harder wood than Ash and therefore they felt that gave you a more "true" hitting bat. The double laquer or "double dipped" process was done to make the bats even harder. I certainly could be wrong about this. I'm not a bat expert or a physics expert. I'm going from memory on what I've read about it.

Luke
05-19-2008, 05:01 PM
I don't know how true this is, but I heard somewhere that some maple bats are being "baked" to take moisture out of them to make them even lighter. That makes sense in that it would make them more brittle and prone to crack.

I've never seen bats crack at the rate they have this season. And, yes, it is to the point of being dangerous. Jagged pieces are now flying as far as the infielders with regularity.

In fairness, all wood for bats is "baked" or kilned to remove moisture.

On the surface it would appear you're right though, it seems like bats are breaking at a higher rate than I've ever seen. That's only observation though, I haven't seen any numbers to back that up.

I wonder if it's not in part due to players growing up with aluminum, and being conditioned to swing at a lot more pitches that might break an wood bat.

jdm2662
05-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Considering how down the hitting is in the AL, I don't see how it's been helping the hitters...

Foulke You
05-19-2008, 05:48 PM
I wonder if it's not in part due to players growing up with aluminum, and being conditioned to swing at a lot more pitches that might break an wood bat.
It could also be the fact that the cutter is the new designer pitch in baseball and since that gets thrown a lot more, the ball will have late breaking inside movement and hit the thinner part of the bats on deceived hitters. I would say the combination of cutters, kids growing up with aluminum bats, and double lacquered maple are the biggest reasons for the upswing in exploding bats.

Nellie_Fox
05-20-2008, 12:25 AM
Well, I don't think anyone is getting impaled any time soon. Pittsburgh Pirates coach Don Long got a piece of bat stuck in his face. (http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080416&content_id=2536882&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit) Good for ten stitches and some permanent nerve damage.

BadBobbyJenks
05-20-2008, 12:34 AM
Pittsburgh Pirates coach Don Long got a piece of bat stuck in his face. (http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080416&content_id=2536882&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit) Good for ten stitches and some permanent nerve damage.

Buster Onley had a story in his blog about Rick Helling having a piece of a bat impale his arm in 05 or 06. Prince Fielder was quoted as saying he wanted to throw up right there on the field.

Those bats explode into dangerous pieces.

The Milkman
05-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Someone please explain where Hawk's "Madabbatacola" comes from. A friend's cousin is named Matt Abbatacola...

rdwj
05-20-2008, 10:39 AM
The saying is named for a part-time guy on the Score. I think he was an intern when Hawk started saying it. I don't think there is any real reason for the saying other than it's a fun name to say.

Also, Matt is a Cub fan, so the reference is a little strange.

daveeym
05-20-2008, 10:48 AM

Baking is just part of the production. They have to dry the maple out more so the bats make weight. This makes the water content something like 10-15% rather than the 25-30% that birch has at the same weight. The low water content is what makes them brittle.

areilly
05-20-2008, 10:49 AM
The saying is named for a part-time guy on the Score. I think he was an intern when Hawk started saying it. I don't think there is any real reason for the saying other than it's a fun name to say.

Also, Matt is a Cub fan, so the reference is a little strange.

I heard somewhere, not sure where, that Hawk actually really dislikes the guy, and that Matt Abbatacola is a derogatory term for bloopers just over the infielders' heads (i.e. short and lazy).

This is probably false, but would be pretty funny in a pointless-local-media-figure-catfight way if true.

areilly
05-20-2008, 10:56 AM
There was one AB a couple weeks ago where Swisher swung the bat and it broke without even touching the ball!

This probably came up in the postgame thread, but had anyone ever seen anything like that before? I mean, I know Swisher's strong but that was among the most ridiculous cases of equipment failure I've ever observed in a baseball game.

Steelrod
05-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Baking is just part of the production. They have to dry the maple out more so the bats make weight. This makes the water content something like 10-15% rather than the 25-30% that birch has at the same weight. The low water content is what makes them brittle.
I don't think bats have to make weight. They can weigh whatever. It's the user that wants them lighter so they can swing harder.

GlassSox
05-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Pittsburgh Pirates coach Don Long got a piece of bat stuck in his face. (http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080416&content_id=2536882&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit) Good for ten stitches and some permanent nerve damage.

I have been waiting for an injury to happen. These exploding bats are "near misses" in safety stats and "near misses" are accidents that will lead to injury eventually.

MLB should perform root cause analysis and make the proper decision for the safety of the players, coaches, fans, & etc. MLB should be held accountable to address the situation to minimize the risk.

mealfred13
05-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Someone please explain where Hawk's "Madabbatacola" comes from. A friend's cousin is named Matt Abbatacola...

For some odd reason (which I guess isn't really odd, considering the source), Hawk started calling a broken bat hit a "Matt Abbatacola" at the beginning of the season. As someone said earlier in the thread, Matt was an intern for the Score or ESPN1000 (I forget which).

Foulke You
05-22-2008, 03:12 PM
As someone said earlier in the thread, Matt was an intern for the Score or ESPN1000 (I forget which).
Matt is now a producer and fill-in host at The Score. He is a big time Cubs fan though and can be pretty obnoxious about attendance at times. However, I'll give him props for sticking up for the White Sox and blasting Carol Slezak's ridiculous "DollGate" article. I seem to remember the origin of calling a broken bat a "Matt Abatticola" was the brain child of Boers and Bernstein when they had Hawk on the show as a guest. They thought it would be funny if they could use his name as part of the Hawk "lexicon". Hawk, never one to shy away from having fun, decided to start using it.

gobears1987
05-26-2008, 04:34 PM
Last night was especially bad for maple bats. I don't think I've seen so many break as I did during last night's game.

The Trib has an article on the bats.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-25-broken-bats-chicagomay25,1,6575770.story

GlassSox
05-26-2008, 07:28 PM
Last night was especially bad for maple bats. I don't think I've seen so many break as I did during last night's game.

The Trib has an article on the bats.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-25-broken-bats-chicagomay25,1,6575770.story

That's a good article and I hope MLB takes this seriously. It's 2008, I just have to believe that somewhere some testing could be performed. We just landed on Mars again and we don't know why maple bats are exploding, come on!:scratch:

manders_01
05-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Holy ****! :o: Never heard mention of this on the local news: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-bats052908&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

gobears1987
06-01-2008, 01:42 AM
Given baseball's clear negligence in taking action, I think there are grounds for a very legitimate lawsuit here.

manders_01
06-01-2008, 02:16 AM
Given baseball's clear negligence in taking action, I think there are grounds for a very legitimate lawsuit here.

DumpJerry could certainly give way more insight than me on this but I think that because in most, if not all ballparks it's announced and posted that you assume risk of injury by attending, it's basically like signing a waiver.

Nellie_Fox
06-01-2008, 02:40 AM
DumpJerry could certainly give way more insight than me on this but I think that because in most, if not all ballparks it's announced and posted that you assume risk of injury by attending, it's basically like signing a waiver.Waivers do not absolve anyone from sheer negligence. MLB has, I believe, crossed the line into negligence in the maple bat issue, because the injuries are mounting, bats are exploding at the rate of four or five a game, and they are twiddling their thumbs. Additionally, it's a problem for which the solution is clear.

Every day that they do nothing about this obvious safety hazard is another day that is likely to cost them millions and someone his/her life.

TDog
06-01-2008, 03:05 AM

There may well be litigation. I have no idea if it would be successful, but I'm not sure negligence is so clear.

For there to be negligence, there has to be a duty by the defendant that was breached. I'm only familiar with California, which has a string of cases involving people hit with baseballs. In general, they have held that stadiums and teams owe no duty to protect people from baseballs hit out of play. The earliest case is about 70 years old and serves as an early precedent in the formulation of the assumpiton-of-risk doctrine.

I didn't see litigation in the California case law involving people hit with bats, but it is possible any such cases weren't reported because they didn't do anything to change or add to the caselaw. The reason that cases still come up is that plaintiffs make new arguments as facts vary slightly. There was a 1997 case in which California's District 4 Court of Appeal in which the tail of the dinosaur mascot for the the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes distracted someone who was hit by a foul ball. The court held that while the stadium, team, league etc. did not own a duty to protect the plaintiff from being hit by a ball, but it did owe a duty not to increase the risk. The case hasn't worked its way into statewide California caselaw, but an attorney in Michigan used the case in unsuccessfully arguing for someone suing the Detroit Tigers.

Frontman
06-01-2008, 09:18 AM
Matt is now a producer and fill-in host at The Score. He is a big time Cubs fan though and can be pretty obnoxious about attendance at times. However, I'll give him props for sticking up for the White Sox and blasting Carol Slezak's ridiculous "DollGate" article. I seem to remember the origin of calling a broken bat a "Matt Abatticola" was the brain child of Boers and Bernstein when they had Hawk on the show as a guest. They thought it would be funny if they could use his name as part of the Hawk "lexicon". Hawk, never one to shy away from having fun, decided to start using it.

I'll also give Matt some props as he has been realistic about both the Sox and Cubs. He's the first one to point out that its only 1/3rd of the way through the season, now is not the time for planning a parade nor huge lineup shakeups.

Vernam
06-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Given baseball's clear negligence in taking action, I think there are grounds for a very legitimate lawsuit here.It's especially ironic in light of the huge over-reaction that now has first- and third-base coaches wearing helmets. That is, unless the secret intent was to protect them from bats instead of balls.

EDIT: I just read the Yahoo story, and what a ****ing disgrace. That poor woman kept her eye on the ball the way everyone should when at the park, so in no way is it her fault that a second projectile shattered her jaw. Bud Selig will probably get around to forming a commission chaired by some former Senator, and they'll still be using maple bats five years from now.

Vernam

Paulwny
06-12-2008, 07:29 PM
The maple bat pioneer, Sam Holman defends the original maple bats and places the blame on others.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AsI24C.wuInqg_JFnmPP9xY5nYcB?slug=jp-samholmanmaple061208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

FedEx227
06-12-2008, 07:30 PM
The maple bat pioneer, Sam Holman defends the original maple bats and places the blame on others.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AsI24C.wuInqg_JFnmPP9xY5nYcB?slug=jp-samholmanmaple061208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Is it really that big of a deal? Of course it's Maple Bats, they are dried beyond belief. We all know that... nobody is going to die because of these.

Paulwny
06-12-2008, 07:33 PM
nobody is going to die because of these.

Do you know that for sure ?

Nellie_Fox
06-13-2008, 12:39 AM
Is it really that big of a deal? Of course it's Maple Bats, they are dried beyond belief. We all know that... nobody is going to die because of these.There have already been a couple of serious injuries. In both cases, death was missed by inches, not by feet.

BadBobbyJenks
06-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Is it really that big of a deal? Of course it's Maple Bats, they are dried beyond belief. We all know that... nobody is going to die because of these.

The potential of being impaled by a maple bat would go under the category big deal for me.

FedEx227
06-14-2008, 12:27 PM
There have already been a couple of serious injuries. In both cases, death was missed by inches, not by feet.

Like the blades on skates in Hockey. LET'S CHANGE THOSE TOO!

Maple bats are here to stay. They are much better for bat speed because they are so much lighter. Yeah they're going to break, but I don't think it's worth people arguing over, it's a known fact that they are dried to make them lighter.

Paulwny
06-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Like the blades on skates in Hockey. LET'S CHANGE THOSE TOO!

Maple bats are here to stay. They are much better for bat speed because they are so much lighter. Yeah they're going to break, but I don't think it's worth people arguing over, it's a known fact that they are dried to make them lighter.

Ice skates don't go flying into the stands/fans.

gobears1987
06-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Ice skates don't go flying into the stands/fans.And that is the difference. Players are paid millions to play their sport. Fans just want to watch a game and should not be endangered because some players need a lighter bat to make up for the fact they are no longer on steroids.

FedEx227
06-14-2008, 06:14 PM
And that is the difference. Players are paid millions to play their sport. Fans just want to watch a game and should not be endangered because some players need a lighter bat to make up for the fact they are no longer on steroids.

That's not the reason. Most players don't NEED the lighter bat, they just prefer it. If you swing a real maple bat then try to go to ash or something else you'll see the difference. I would have trouble personally going back to ash after having enough time with a good Maple bat.

And they've been around since 1997, it's not some new wave trend. It's just like IR for home run calls, a rash of broken bats happen and now people want change.

Get over it.

Nellie_Fox
06-15-2008, 01:11 AM
...a rash of broken bats happen and now people want change.

Get over it.A rash? It's like three or four every damn game. It's only a matter of time before a player gets seriously injured. Tonight a bat exploded, and while Crede was concentrating on the ball, the barrel of the bat was following right behind. It didn't get to him (this time) but he never saw it coming. Just like the Pirates coach who was watching the ball and now has permanent nerve damage in his face from the dagger end of the bat, which missed his eye by less than two inches.

This isn't like a ball going into the stands. Baseball has to have a ball. They don't have to use maple bats; there are alternatives, like what was used for a century before. If baseball continues to ignore what is an easily correctable threat, they are going to be liable for huge damages.

BadBobbyJenks
06-25-2008, 04:25 PM
That's not the reason. Most players don't NEED the lighter bat, they just prefer it. If you swing a real maple bat then try to go to ash or something else you'll see the difference. I would have trouble personally going back to ash after having enough time with a good Maple bat.

And they've been around since 1997, it's not some new wave trend. It's just like IR for home run calls, a rash of broken bats happen and now people want change.

Get over it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3459722

Get over it.

Arod uses ash, I think everyone else can switch.

South Side Irish
06-25-2008, 04:38 PM

Yeah, so why change it? I mean, lets wait until somebody does die, then we can point fingers and deal with it. Let's wait until someone dies, then change. :scratch:

Infielders, Pitchers, Umps, Basecoaches, and fans are at risk. Watching baseball, you've seen more and more "exploding maple bats." I know exactly how much they cost now (thanks, Hawk!), when I never knew this as a stat junkie kid. It's gotten worse, and of course there needs to be a policy change. Maybe there's a way to make Maple a bit stronger, or to cut the lumber differently, or another couple layers of lacquer on top. I don't know what, but there has to be some kind of solution to the problem.

We're not proposing mandating wood type or something (I'm not), but let's try to solve a problem, not be a dick about it and talk down to people who disagree with us.

daveeym
06-26-2008, 10:50 AM

That article isn't totally correct. Hoosier bat company was using maple as early as 93 or 94. However they were making hybrid bats that were ash at the end Maple on the barrell and Ash below the barrel. (Well that's how I remembered it, they now do ash handle, hickory barrel and maple end (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hoosierbat.com/images/building.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hoosierbat.com/info.html&h=360&w=480&sz=40&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=WgdDyUAzq2bzmM:&tbnh=97&tbnw=129&prev=/images%3Fq%3D3%2Bpiece%2Bbats%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den% 26sa%3DX)) They would sell them at the pro-scouting tryouts back then. The benefits/reasons for the three pieces was that the maple was harder and stronger which resulted in more power and fewer broken bats based on how they were put together. They also went with this format because a full maple bat was too heavy. So maple's definitely been around before this guy but there is probably some truth to his argument that properly spec'd bats shouldn't be breaking.

Lorenzo Barcelo
06-26-2008, 11:39 AM
That article isn't totally correct. Hoosier bat company was using maple as early as 93 or 94. However they were making hybrid bats that were ash at the end Maple on the barrell and Ash below the barrel. (Well that's how I remembered it, they now do ash handle, hickory barrel and maple end (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hoosierbat.com/images/building.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hoosierbat.com/info.html&h=360&w=480&sz=40&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=WgdDyUAzq2bzmM:&tbnh=97&tbnw=129&prev=/images%3Fq%3D3%2Bpiece%2Bbats%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den% 26sa%3DX)) They would sell them at the pro-scouting tryouts back then. The benefits/reasons for the three pieces was that the maple was harder and stronger which resulted in more power and fewer broken bats based on how they were put together. They also went with this format because a full maple bat was too heavy. So maple's definitely been around before this guy but there is probably some truth to his argument that properly spec'd bats shouldn't be breaking.

Hoosier makes a bat a three piece bat that is ash,hickory in the middle, and maple at the end of the bat. It is called the woodforce 2000. Hickory is a dense/heavy wood, and if made into a normal sized bat it would weigh over 40oz. The owner has been trying to approve this bat for years, but Bud has been shooting that proposal down. They currently make Birch and Ash bats for the MLB, but no maple.

Frontman
06-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Yeah, so why change it? I mean, lets wait until somebody does die, then we can point fingers and deal with it. Let's wait until someone dies, then change. :scratch:

Infielders, Pitchers, Umps, Basecoaches, and fans are at risk. Watching baseball, you've seen more and more "exploding maple bats." I know exactly how much they cost now (thanks, Hawk!), when I never knew this as a stat junkie kid. It's gotten worse, and of course there needs to be a policy change. Maybe there's a way to make Maple a bit stronger, or to cut the lumber differently, or another couple layers of lacquer on top. I don't know what, but there has to be some kind of solution to the problem.

We're not proposing mandating wood type or something (I'm not), but let's try to solve a problem, not be a dick about it and talk down to people who disagree with us.

Wait, noone died because of the steroid usage either. Bring that back, dammit! I want the longball!!!!

I hope and pray that this doesn't get to the point someone dies, because fans have already been seriously injured because of these bats.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-bats052908&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

That isn't a minor injury if screws, plates, and wire need to hold a person's jaw together to let it heal. Those things have also lawn-darted into the ground a few inches when they land. I certainly don't want to see one lawn-dart into a shortstop or thirdbaseman's thigh before the league decides its dangerous.

South Side Irish
06-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Wait, noone died because of the steroid usage either. Bring that back, dammit! I want the longball!!!!

I hope and pray that this doesn't get to the point someone dies, because fans have already been seriously injured because of these bats.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-bats052908&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

That isn't a minor injury if screws, plates, and wire need to hold a person's jaw together to let it heal. Those things have also lawn-darted into the ground a few inches when they land. I certainly don't want to see one lawn-dart into a shortstop or thirdbaseman's thigh before the league decides its dangerous.

Spot on!:gulp:

Nellie_Fox
06-27-2008, 12:04 AM
Did you see TCQ have to duck to avoid the barrel of the bat as he was coming down the line from third?

Find out the problem, and quickly. Whether there need to be a ban on maple, a minimum circumference for the bat handles, a minimum moisture content in the wood (maybe different for different wood) or some combination of things, I don't know, but they had better figure it out soon. The unnecessary injuries are mounting.

Foulke You
06-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Did you see TCQ have to duck to avoid the barrel of the bat as he was coming down the line from third?

Find out the problem, and quickly. Whether there need to be a ban on maple, a minimum circumference for the bat handles, a minimum moisture content in the wood (maybe different for different wood) or some combination of things, I don't know, but they had better figure it out soon. The unnecessary injuries are mounting.
Yep, I heard it on the radio that the bat just missed Quentin's head by inches. I can't fathom what is taking them so long. It seems like a pretty cut and dry type of solution. I'm willing to bet that the MLBPA is making a stink about it and we all know how much power they have in baseball.

Frontman
06-27-2008, 03:36 PM
Yep, I heard it on the radio that the bat just missed Quentin's head by inches. I can't fathom what is taking them so long. It seems like a pretty cut and dry type of solution. I'm willing to bet that the MLBPA is making a stink about it and we all know how much power they have in baseball.

It took them 10 years to address the steroid usage in baseball. I wouldn't hold my breath for them acting quickly on the bat issue until someone is critically injured/outright killed to force them into action.

FarWestChicago
06-28-2008, 07:16 AM
:tool

I'm a big fan of a few things. I loved 'roids until somebody gave me some crap about them. Now I like to see deadly, jagged shards of wood flying all over the park. Imagine the press we'll get when one of them impales a little girl in the stands! We'll be number one on every national news show!

TornLabrum
06-28-2008, 07:43 AM

I'm a big fan of a few things. I loved 'roids until somebody gave me some crap about them. Now I like to see deadly, jagged shards of wood flying all over the park. Imagine the press we'll get when one of them impales a little girl in the stands! We'll be number one on every national news show!

"After all, any publicity is good publicity."

AngryCollins
07-02-2008, 02:36 PM

From my limited understanding of labor law and baseball, the species of bat is a term and condition of employment and thus must be negotiated with the union. Then it becomes a chit for the players to wrest a concession from the owners.

Now it gets interesting if the umpire's union (if they still have one) gets involved and says that the use of maple bats is a term and condition (Safety) of their employment and they will strike to enforce their rights (within their rights under the NLRA). Since one of their guys has already been hurt I think they are on stronger ground. It won't happen but...