PDA

View Full Version : Clever comeback to Cub fans this year.

beasly213
05-19-2008, 10:39 AM
So as we all know the Cubs are off to a hot start and I'm sure most of you are also getting lots of ribbing from your Cub fan friends about how great they're team is playing.

So I decided to start a thread for some clever comebacks for them.

The one I've been using that has worked pretty well is:

"Oh so they're giving World Series Trophies out in May this year? I didn't know they changed the rules."

That usually gets a smile and a shut mouth.

Let's hear some of yours!

Mr.1Dog
05-19-2008, 10:40 AM
I bent my wookie.

soxpride724
05-19-2008, 10:46 AM
So as we all know the Cubs are off to a hot start and I'm sure most of you are also getting lots of ribbing from your Cub fan friends about how great they're team is playing.

So I decided to start a thread for some clever comebacks for them.

The one I've been using that has worked pretty well is:

"Oh so they're giving World Series Trophies out in May this year? I didn't know they changed the rules."

That usually gets a smile and a shut mouth.

Let's hear some of yours!

Most my cubbie friends are realistic and don't buy for a second this team is gonna win the World Series. Now for those that do, I like to quote the 96 Bulls, "Don't mean a thing without the ring".
That shuts em up.

btrain929
05-19-2008, 10:54 AM
"With all the games you've already played against the Pirates, your team SHOULD be doing well...."

I also usually get on them for not facing teams' aces. They didn't face Johan vs NYM, and didn't face Webb for AZ. THOSE are the guys they will be facing in the playoffs, not teams #4 and 5.

kittle42
05-19-2008, 10:57 AM
I also usually get on them for not facing teams' aces. They didn't face Johan vs NYM, and didn't face Webb for AZ. THOSE are the guys they will be facing in the playoffs, not teams #4 and 5.

That's hardly the Cubs' fault. They also beat Haren in that ARZ series. You wouldn't be saying the reverse had the Diamondbacks come in and swept Rich Hill, Jason Marquis, and Ted Lilly.

That being said...

:threadsucks

No need to rain on their foolish May parade now. They'll do it themselves in Sept./Oct.

CHISOXFAN13
05-19-2008, 11:01 AM
"With all the games you've already played against the Pirates, your team SHOULD be doing well...."

Guess you haven't seen Pittsburgh's record against the rest of the league.

soxfan13
05-19-2008, 11:03 AM

You do understand that if you take the Cubs out of the "awful" Pirates early schedule, that the Pirates are above .500.

kittle42
05-19-2008, 11:13 AM
You do understand that if you take the Cubs out of the "awful" Pirates early schedule, that the Pirates are above .500.

The Pirates are the opposite of the Sox - if they had even one smidge of pitching, they'd be at least ties with the beloved Cubs. McLouth and Nady are playing out of their minds.

Alas, the Phil Dumatraits and Tom Gorzelanneys of the world just aren't going to get it done.

spawn
05-19-2008, 11:14 AM
I don't spend much time arguing with Cubs fans anymore. Since the Sox won the WS in '05, I don't have near the animosity towards them anymore. When Cubs fans brag to me now, I shrug and say "they're a good team."

It's Time
05-19-2008, 11:15 AM
The Pirates would be 5 games OVER .500 if they had not played the Cubs this year. They have a lot of good young players on that team.

I think the whole "who have they played argument" is weak. All teams play bad teams. If the White Sox hadn't played the Tigers, where would they be right now?

That being said, it's May. Heck, the Royals are knocking on the door of 1st place.

sox1970
05-19-2008, 11:16 AM
:shrug:

Whatever. The Cubs are a good baseball team. They'll make the playoffs. Hopefully they don't win three series, and the White Sox do.

It's Time
05-19-2008, 11:17 AM
The Pirates are the opposite of the Sox - if they had even one smidge of pitching, they'd be at least ties with the beloved Cubs. Future Cub Nate McLouth and Nady are playing out of their minds.

Alas, the Phil Dumatraits and Tom Gorzelanneys of the world just aren't going to get it done.

Fixed.

rocky biddle
05-19-2008, 11:29 AM
My cat's breath smells like cat food.

fquaye149
05-19-2008, 11:32 AM
The Pirates are the opposite of the Sox - if they had even one smidge of pitching, they'd be at least ties with the beloved Cubs. McLouth and Nady are playing out of their minds.

That's the wrong side of the coin to be on though. Just ask the Murder City Kitties.

fquaye149
05-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Fixed.

Hangar, is that you? :rolleyes:

It's Time
05-19-2008, 11:36 AM

The Cubs have robbed the Pirates anytime they have a need.

fquaye149
05-19-2008, 11:40 AM
The Cubs have robbed the Pirates anytime they have a need.

You mean...twice in like 6 years?

Beside Ramirez and Simon (big whoop), who on earth could you possibly be referring to

skottyj242
05-19-2008, 11:41 AM
Tiger Woods came in second place at the 2008 Masters.

DumpJerry
05-19-2008, 11:42 AM
The Sox are in First. Why do you care about what Cub fans say?

It's Time
05-19-2008, 11:44 AM
You mean...twice in like 6 years?

Beside Ramirez and Simon (big whoop), who on earth could you possibly be referring to

Lofton?:dunno:

fquaye149
05-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Lofton?:dunno:

Along with the Ramirez trade, you mean?

That was 5 years ago. You realize that right?

So there were two trades for three players all made five years ago and that means that "Every time the Cubs need a player they rip off the Pirates"?

Some Sox fans need to get a grip on reality and let their Cubsession go.

moochpuppy
05-19-2008, 11:54 AM
What is this "Cubs" team you guys are talking about? I'm a little more concerned with this Indians team that's coming to town.

soxfan13
05-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Along with the Ramirez trade, you mean?

That was 5 years ago. You realize that right?

So there were two trades for three players all made five years ago and that means that "Every time the Cubs need a player they rip off the Pirates"?

Some Sox fans need to get a grip on reality and let their Cubsession go.

:gulp:

Frater Perdurabo
05-19-2008, 12:07 PM
My cat's breath smells like cat food.

I was just going to say that.

thomas35forever
05-19-2008, 12:11 PM
:whocares

hi im skot
05-19-2008, 12:15 PM
"That's just like, your opinion, man."

jenn2080
05-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Who cares? The Cubs are doing great right now and they have a right to brag. Good for them. I do not care what they do.

PatK
05-19-2008, 12:57 PM
The Sox are in First. Why do you care about what Cub fans say?

Exactly.

Although today, I did have a bonehead Cubs fan at work try to rib me about the standings. You know the type, the kind that thinks that the Sox 2005 WS Title didn't happen.

I mentioned that I forgot it was Memorial Day weekend and I'm going to the game Saturday, and he was like "It would be nice if they would start winning like the Cubs"

I had to remind him they won 5 straight and 7 of 10 on the road.

Then he said "Too bad they aren't in first"

I had to remind him they were in first.

He threw 2-3 more stupid "Too bad"s out there before I had to tell him that it's "too bad" he's like most Cubs fans- stupid.

soxfanatlanta
05-19-2008, 01:07 PM
I like cheese.

The Critic
05-19-2008, 01:11 PM
I need a bigger tank for my turtle, since my turtle's bigger than it used to be.

TDog
05-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Are the Cubs in first? I hadn't noticed.

Uncle_Patrick
05-19-2008, 01:13 PM

Hendry the Thief.

soxpride724
05-19-2008, 01:17 PM
My dog's breath smells like Alpo.

Mr.1Dog
05-19-2008, 01:21 PM
I am still trying to figure out why kamikazee pilots wore helmets.:scratch:

skottyj242
05-19-2008, 01:27 PM
I am still trying to figure out why kamikazee pilots wore helmets.:scratch:

When they're going to put a needle in a bad dude for lethal injection why do they put the alcohol on his arm and why do they make sure there's no air in the needle?

AZChiSoxFan
05-19-2008, 01:28 PM
That's hardly the Cubs' fault. They also beat Haren in that ARZ series. You wouldn't be saying the reverse had the Diamondbacks come in and swept Rich Hill, Jason Marquis, and Ted Lilly.

Props to the Cubs for sweeping the D-backs. However, it's well documented that the Cubs play much better at home. Unless I'm mistaken, in a potential playoff series between the teams, Webb will pitch and all of the games won't be played at the Urinal. I suspect we'll see a repeat of what happened between the teams last October.

Chicken Dinner
05-19-2008, 01:46 PM
The Cubs have only played 17 games on the road and the Sox have only played 16 games at home.

sox1970
05-19-2008, 01:49 PM
The Cubs have only played 17 games on the road and the Sox have only played 16 games at home.

Sox have played 17 at home if you count the tie, which you should.

Point is, they 64 home games left.

skottyj242
05-19-2008, 02:00 PM
You want a good comeback?

"Go fist yourself."

Mr.1Dog
05-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Turn to him and say, "Holy ****! Did you know the Stone Temple Pilots are going back on tour?"

btrain929
05-19-2008, 02:17 PM

"Go fist yourself."

I like it.

beasly213
05-19-2008, 02:21 PM
Exactly.

Although today, I did have a bonehead Cubs fan at work try to rib me about the standings. You know the type, the kind that thinks that the Sox 2005 WS Title didn't happen.

I mentioned that I forgot it was Memorial Day weekend and I'm going to the game Saturday, and he was like "It would be nice if they would start winning like the Cubs"

I had to remind him they won 5 straight and 7 of 10 on the road.

Then he said "Too bad they aren't in first"

I had to remind him they were in first.

He threw 2-3 more stupid "Too bad"s out there before I had to tell him that it's "too bad" he's like most Cubs fans- stupid.

I don't care about the Cubs. This isn't a serious baseball thread it was just one meant for fun and playful back and forth that I know many of us have with our Cub fan friends.

PatK
05-19-2008, 02:26 PM
I don't care about the Cubs. This isn't a serious baseball thread it was just one meant for fun and playful back and forth that I know many of us have with our Cub fan friends.

I don't really care about them either, but the fans drive me nuts.

One thing that really seems to get them mad is when they come up telling me how good they are playing and I agree with them. You can almost hear a sizzling noise and smell ozone as their synapses fizzle trying to compute a non-argumentative response.

chisoxfanatic
05-19-2008, 02:28 PM

The playful "back and forth" with those fans ended on October 26, 2005.

rdwj
05-19-2008, 02:30 PM

"Go fist yourself."

It's the subtlety I like the best. Well crafted!

russ99
05-19-2008, 02:45 PM
The playful "back and forth" with those fans ended on October 26, 2005.

Yeah, but it happened on both sides of town. I don't know if it's this whole 100th anniversary thing, but Cub fans I know are even more annoying this year than ever, almost to Red Sox like proportions.

Which is why it will be even more enjoyable when they crash and burn, be it in August (my prediction) or in early October.

Soxfanspcu11
05-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Is this thread a joke?

It's May 20th. They have played good in the last week or so but the local meidiots conviently forget that they lost 4 series in a row prior to that.

They are not that good at all. The only impressive thing that I have seen from them was their sweep of Arizona. And I am pretty sure that that was a major fluke.

If you are getting **** from scrub fans, then that is just insane and ridiculous.

Let's see, no matter what happens this year, they will still have gone 100 years without a World Series victory.

The White Sox won in 2005. Until they can match that, there is no argument at all.

And let's not forget that the White Sox are in 1st Place as well! Why not just worry about the Sox and their quest for a 2nd World Series Title in 4 years and don't pay any attention to what the scrubs do.

Never has this tag been so appropriate;

:threadsucks

DumpJerry
05-19-2008, 03:28 PM
For those of you who want a snappy, witty comeback to a Cub fan who is excited that his/her team is in first place with one of the best W/L records in MLB, let me remind you that what goes around, comes around.

I would just acknowledge that the Cubs have done well against the Reds, Pirates, etc. and leave it at that. They are looking to get a reaction from you. Frustrate them!

kittle42
05-19-2008, 03:37 PM
I would just acknowledge that the Cubs have done well against the Reds, Pirates, etc. and leave it at that. They are looking to get a reaction from you. Frustrate them!

Good point. Why do some people still feel the need to knock a team with the second-best record in baseball? Just admit what the reality is right now, quietly roll your eyes, and let it go until the usual collapse.

soxrme
05-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Hard to believe but there are 3 year old who have not seen a White Sox world series!

bigsoxfan420
05-19-2008, 04:39 PM
I don't spend much time arguing with Cubs fans anymore. Since the Sox won the WS in '05, I don't have near the animosity towards them anymore. When Cubs fans brag to me now, I shrug and say "they're a good team."

I have noticed the same thing. I don't hear nearly as much about the Sox "terrible" stadium, the bad neighborhood, etc. It is actually much better this way. I could care less about the Cubs and having a BASEBALL discussion is much more fun. Though I must admit, I do still smile when the Cubs lose an important game.

tick53
05-19-2008, 06:42 PM
:threadblows:

LongLiveFisk
05-19-2008, 06:42 PM
I usually just say something like, "Shouldn't you be making your '100th Anniversary of Futility' plans?"

Frontman
05-19-2008, 06:46 PM
I don't say anything to them until one says, "Dem Sox of yours suck."

Which I reply, as I have every time its been said since 2005 to me;

"You know, I got this great photo at home of Mark Buehrle's first pitch of the World Series at home. Sadly, the last time the Cubs won; color film hadn't been invented yet."

It shuts them up BIG TIME.

itsnotrequired
05-19-2008, 06:51 PM
"Oh yeah? Well, I had sex with your wife!"

Madscout
05-19-2008, 06:59 PM
His wife is in a coma...

LongLiveFisk
05-19-2008, 07:23 PM

Tell them, "The jerk store called..they're running out of YOU!" :lol:

Railsplitter
05-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Spring 2006: My new supervisor asks me about baseball preferences, and when he hears what what the are, he starts with the "Sox suck."

My reply: "If by suck, you mean winning the World Series--" I never finished that sentance,because he saw the absurdity of his statement.

Haven't heard any bad mouthing from him since then.

The Cubs have come off an 8-2 homestand for the first time since one of thier many losing seasons.

RadioheadRocks
05-19-2008, 08:06 PM
"Talk to me after the Cubs have had more than two back-to-back seasons at .500 or better"... that should do it.

A. Cavatica
05-19-2008, 08:58 PM
"Let me know when their major league affiliate is in first place."

bryPt
05-19-2008, 09:07 PM
I am in Arizona today, building I am working in is flying a cub flag. Go figure....

That being said, a fellow employee asked what I would be doing on my birthday, I said going to the Sox game. He said, "well, too bad they aren't doing well this year." I said, first place at 23-20. He said "really, how come you don't hear anything about them? All I hear about how great the cubs are doing..."

perfect I believe, we are under the radar, and the entire world will see another cub collapse by year end.

It's Time
05-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Can the White Sox find a way to steal Marmol away? Seriously, that guy is sick. The Stros were about to do some major damage in the 8th. They had 2nd and 3rd, no outs and Tejeda, Berkman and Lee up. It was a 5-2 game.

Marmol comes in and gets Tejeda to pop up, Berkman to K and Lee to ground out.:rolleyes:

Does anyone know his contract status?

RadioheadRocks
05-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Can the White Sox find a way to steal Marmol away? Seriously, that guy is sick. The Stros were about to do some major damage in the 8th. They had 2nd and 3rd, no outs and Tejeda, Berkman and Lee up. It was a 5-2 game.

Marmol comes in and gets Tejeda to pop up, Berkman to K and Lee to ground out.:rolleyes:

Berkman ended up 0-4 with three Ks; after that super-hot streak he sure picked a good time to start sucking ass, huh?

Ziggy S
05-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Mod Edit: WHAT?!??!?

rwcescato
05-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Guess you haven't seen Pittsburgh's record against the rest of the league.
what is the flubs record against everyone but the pirates. cant be much above .500

sox1970
05-19-2008, 10:18 PM
what is the flubs record against everyone but the pirates. cant be much above .500

20-16. Nothing wrong with crushing a bad team. That's how you make the playoffs.

ws05champs
05-19-2008, 10:18 PM

Don't need no stinkin Cubs. We got Masset, Linebrink and more often than not Dotel.

Most of my friends who are Cubs fans are very realistic about the situation and really not much fun to rib. Those that aren't I just agree with and then point out that the more up they get, the harder the Cubs will break their hearts at eht end of the season.

Ziggy S
05-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Here's an actual clever comment and not my previous non-sequitir.

Our team is like Slayer and Megadeth. Your team is the Backstreet Boys, Fall Out Boy, and New Kids on the Block.

kittle42
05-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Here's an actual clever comment and not my previous non-sequitir.

Our team is like Slayer and Megadeth. Your team is the Backstreet Boys, Fall Out Boy, and New Kids on the Block.

The latter three made a lot more money. :D:

Ziggy S
05-19-2008, 11:20 PM
The latter three made a lot more money. :D:
Made more money, but got no respect and are considered no talent jokes, just like a certain team that plays on Clark and Addison where Slayer and Megadeth are legends in their field just like a certain team on 35th and Shields (especially one in a certain year 2005!!!!1!!). 2005!!!!!!1!!! was the Sox's Reign in Blood and Rust in Piece and the Scrubs, well they don't have any baseball equivalent of these even when radio started getting broadcasted commercially.

103 screwball
05-19-2008, 11:29 PM
I always just act surprised. When they give me a puzzled look, then I say that I don't know much about the cubs because I only follow MAJOR league baseball.

whitem0nkey
05-19-2008, 11:40 PM
brag about our payroll championship

RadioheadRocks
05-19-2008, 11:53 PM
I am in Arizona today, building I am working in is flying a cub flag. Go figure....

That being said, a fellow employee asked what I would be doing on my birthday, I said going to the Sox game. He said, "well, too bad they aren't doing well this year." I said, first place at 23-20. He said "really, how come you don't hear anything about them? All I hear about how great the cubs are doing..."

Here's a good response to this situation: "since when is being overexposed a GOOD thing???"

PennStater98r
05-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Personally, I have been wishing every Cubs fan a "Happy Anniversary!" this year.

veeter
05-20-2008, 01:44 PM
I just say, 'The story is always different, but the ending's always the same.':D:

areilly
05-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Made more money, but got no respect and are considered no talent jokes, just like a certain team that plays on Clark and Addison where Slayer and Megadeth are legends in their field just like a certain team on 35th and Shields (especially one in a certain year 2005!!!!1!!). 2005!!!!!!1!!! was the Sox's Reign in Blood and Rust in Piece and the Scrubs, well they don't have any baseball equivalent of these even when radio started getting broadcasted commercially.

I think the Sox are more like Dream Theater than they are like Slayer; they supposedly have tons of fans, yet no one outside of that inner circle of fandom knows a whole lot of people who like them. Strangely influential to their followers, largely ignored by the non-believers, and usually respected more than truly loved.

skottyj242
05-20-2008, 02:34 PM
The Sox are like the lead singer of Lynard Skynard with a backup band of angels and I'm in the front row, wasted.

voodoochile
05-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Personally, I have been wishing every Cubs fan a "Happy Anniversary!" this year.

LOL!

pwned...

spiffie
05-20-2008, 02:45 PM

He only has a little over 1 year of MLB service time. He is Cubs property until the 2012 season.

scarsofthumper
05-21-2008, 09:29 AM
I like baseball.

the gooch
05-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Cubs in first place? That's unpossile!