PDA

View Full Version : Fun Hawk Fact From Today's Broadcast...

voodoochile
05-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Okay, I know we all love to rip on Hawk for his sayings and other silliness, but they flashed a stat on the screen today that I thought was kind of cool. I think I was watching the SF broadcast, but I don't know for sure. It still had CSN in the score bar, so maybe it was local...

Anyhoo...

According to a graphic they put up while showing Hawk on camera, Hawk is "widely credited with having introduced the batting glove to baseball".

Anyone able to confirm this? Lip?

Jjav829
05-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Here is a whitesox.com (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070821&content_id=2161080&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws&partnered=rss_cws) story about it.

anewman35
05-18-2008, 10:43 PM
According to wikipedia:

Harrelson is often credited with inventing the batting glove by wearing a golf glove while at bat with the A's; however, Peter Morris' book A Game Of Inches says the batting glove may have been used as early as 1901 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1901_in_baseball) by Hughie Jennings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hughie_Jennings), and were definitely used by Lefty O'Doul (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lefty_O%27Doul) and Johnny Frederick of the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1932 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1932_in_baseball), and later by Bobby Thomson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Thomson) in the 1950s. Morris does credit Harrelson with reintroducing the batting glove in the 1960s.

Noneck
05-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Yeah I heard that. He was late from playing a round of golf in spring training and forgot to take off the golf glove and went to the batting cage, Thats the story I heard.

TheOldRoman
05-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Yeah I heard that. He was late from playing a round of golf in spring training and forgot to take off the golf glove and went to the batting cage, Thats the story I heard.

Yep. Hawk told the story once on air. He added that he had played 36 holes that day, and his hands were really sore, so he kept the glove on while hitting.

DumpJerry
05-18-2008, 11:26 PM
Yep. Hawk told the story once on air. He added that he had played 36 holes that day, and his hands were really sore, so he kept the glove on while hitting.
Were they bloody and blistered like Andy's in "The Office?"

cards press box
05-18-2008, 11:50 PM

If I recall the story, based on what his manager told him, Hawk didn't expect to play that night against the Yankees. Hawk played 36 holes of golf during the day, went to the ballpark that night and found out that he was going to play, after all. Because he had some blisters, he wore the golf gloves and hit two homers that night. The rest, as they say, is history.

TheVulture
05-19-2008, 12:34 AM
Am I the only one that doesn' t have anewman set on ignore, or what?

Mod Edit: Don't brag about your ignore list if you want to keep posting here.

TDog
05-19-2008, 12:54 AM
Ken Harrelson also was one of the first players to bring a hair dryer into the clubhouse.

TheVulture
05-19-2008, 01:14 AM
Ken Harrelson also was one of the first players to bring a hair dryer into the clubhouse.
:rolling:

I want Mags back
05-19-2008, 01:15 AM
Were they bloody and blistered like Andy's in "The Office?"

thats what happens when you hit 1200 balls last night in preparation for today

voodoochile
05-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Whoa Voodoo strap it down :)....I thought this was commom knowledge.

No, sorry, but I don't listen to broadcasts due to my hearing loss and I don't recall a thread on it here in the past. Given how people are always ripping on Hawk for his crazy over the top stories, I thought it was amusing to see one that actually was true.

No major shock. I know that Hawk is an avid golfer, so it's not that surprising that he was the one to do it. I mean the fact that it was a golfer only makes sense. The fact it was Hawk is just funny...

JohnTucker0814
05-19-2008, 08:42 PM
Just an addition to this story... I saw this thread and pulled out my old "home run derby" video's from 1959. I saw a lot of players during those telecasts that were wearing batting gloves... including Henry Aaron and Rocky Colovito... so another instance where Hawk couldn't have been the first... his first major league season was 1963 a good 3 to 4 years after that telecast was taped!

JohnTucker0814
05-19-2008, 08:42 PM
Well thanks to your thread I can pin point the year of a picture I have in my baseball room.

Yogi Berra is standing between Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle. Both Maris and Mantle are holding bats and wearing crude looking batting gloves. Maris on his left hand and Mantle on his right hand.

I can see a palm tree in the background , so it's spring training.

It has to be 1963, Yogi's last year on the NY Yankees and the year Hawk introduced the batting glove.

it may have been before 1963 if you read my previous post!

TheMilkman
05-19-2008, 09:22 PM
...he wore the golf gloves and hit two homers that night. The rest, as they say, is history.

I remember Hawk telling the story once and he said when he first walked out with the glove, all the Yankees were razzing at him about it. Then he hit the two home runs. The next day Mantle gave the clubhouse guy money and sent him out to buy golf gloves for all the Yankees.

Nellie_Fox
05-20-2008, 12:05 AM
Just an addition to this story... I saw this thread and pulled out my old "home run derby" video's from 1959. I saw a lot of players during those telecasts that were wearing batting gloves... including Henry Aaron and Rocky Colovito... so another instance where Hawk couldn't have been the first... his first major league season was 1963 a good 3 to 4 years after that telecast was taped!My understanding is that some players wore them in the batting cage to avoid blisters when taking lots of swings (like they would do in Home Run Derby) but Hawk was the first to wear them in a game.

JohnTucker0814
05-20-2008, 07:27 AM
My understanding is that some players wore them in the batting cage to avoid blisters when taking lots of swings (like they would do in Home Run Derby) but Hawk was the first to wear them in a game.

Interesting... the gloves they were wearing in Home Run Derby looked like gardening gloves... they were cloth, a little oversized.... it was pretty funny. I'll say though, I watched 4 episodes of Mantle... and he didn't wear em!

voodoochile
05-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Interesting... the gloves they were wearing in Home Run Derby looked like gardening gloves... they were cloth, a little oversized.... it was pretty funny. I'll say though, I watched 4 episodes of Mantle... and he didn't wear em!

Vlad still doesn't, ever...

Noneck
05-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Vlad still doesn't, ever...

He may use the Alou method of hand toughening.

TheVulture
05-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Am I the only one that doesn' t have anewman set on ignore, or what?

Mod Edit: Don't brag about your ignore list if you want to keep posting here.

:scratch:I said I didn't have him on ignore.