PDA

View Full Version : Chet Coppock Interview

Lip Man 1
05-18-2008, 10:18 PM
He’s been a part of the Chicago sports media for a long time, one of the longest tenures in fact, in Chicago sports media history.

CHET COPPOCK has seen it all, and just about done it all in Chicago sports, since his days as a reporter at then fledging WFLD-TV back in the late 1960’s.

He is now the latest interview subject at White Sox Interactive. You can find his interview on the main page. Simply click on his photo or the phrase “Chet Coppock speaks” and you’ll be linked directly to his interview.

Among the stories and comments Chet talked about in his interview was his relationship with former Sox Hall of Fame broadcaster Jack Brickhouse, the man who got him started down the road in the profession. He also tells you who he thinks is the best broadcaster in Chicago today, has memories, stories and antidotes of his days covering the White Sox and takes on the subject of “media bias” in Chicago sports.

Like John Lennon once wrote “a splendid time is guaranteed for all.” I hope you enjoy the interview.

Lip

jabrch
05-18-2008, 11:36 PM
Awesome Lip...

I can't believe his love for Hawk. Nice guy and all - but top sports broadcaster in Chicago?

Brian26
05-19-2008, 12:17 AM
Outstanding job, Mark. Great read.

Law11
05-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Good stuff. I briefly met Chet when I was 13 back in 83 before Chet, Giangreco and Warner Saunders the sports team then at ch5 were about to do an on air special from the CF bleachers at Comiskey.

I was like hey Chet coppick! he turned around and said hey bud soak this year in it doesnt happen too often.

Some people rip the guy but Ive always found him to be a great listen.

PatK
05-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Rock Candy Mountain!!

Chet can be a tool sometimes, but he never gets the credit he deserves. He was truly one of the pioneers of sports talk radio.

Chez
05-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Rock Candy Mountain!!

Chet can be a tool sometimes, but he never gets the credit he deserves. He was truly one of the pioneers of sports talk radio.

Why would you give anyone "credit" for pioneering sports talk radio? That's like giving someone "credit" for inventing anthrax or the wave. (I can no longer tolerate sports talk radio). Chet is and was one of the biggest blowhards this city's media has ever seen or heard.

Frater Perdurabo
05-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Another great interview, Lip. Thanks for all the hard work you do to bring these gems to us!
:smile:

PatK
05-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Why would you give anyone "credit" for pioneering sports talk radio? That's like giving someone "credit" for inventing anthrax or the wave. (I can no longer tolerate sports talk radio). Chet is and was one of the biggest blowhards this city's media has ever seen or heard.

Because like it or not (and apparently a lot of people do), there's a possibility it wouldn't exist if not for Chet.

Yeah, I'll remember the time when I ran into him at Game 7 of the 1992 NBA Finals and he told me to "bank on it" that the Bulls were going to trade Pippen and Horace Grant to the Rockets for Olajuwan, but I won't hold that against him.

Medford Bobby
05-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Does that mean in about 10 years we will see Mike North on one of those Saturday morning sports betting show touting his "5 star game of the week" bet.....too

soxfan43
05-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Great interview. I was fortunate enough to speak with Chet a few years back when I graduated college. He was a friend of a friend of a friend kind of thing and I was trying to break into the sports media industry. We traded voicemails for a few days(he has the most hilarious vmail message ever) and when we finally hooked up, he took the time to answer a ton of my questions and gave me some great advice. Nice guy and very entertaining on and off the air. I just wish he was on at a different time as I'm usually golfing when his shows are on ESPN now.

Frankie5Angels
05-19-2008, 10:48 PM
Great interview.

BainesHOF
05-20-2008, 12:40 AM
Coppock was cool to me as a kid whenever I ran into him at Comiskey Park or at DePaul games at the Horizon. Beyond that, he hosted what still holds up as the best - by far - sports radio show in Chicago. He got the best guests and regularly broke news, and always had fun while doing it.

Hitmen77
05-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Lip,
I'm a few days late reading it, but great interview. Lots of interesting stuff from Chet.