PDA

View Full Version : Alexei Ramirez

turners56
05-18-2008, 08:39 PM
Ever since he's taken over for Uribe in these past 3 games, he's gone 4-13 (.307) with 1 HR and 2 RBIs and 4 runs scored, the home run was huge obviously, he was the White Sox offense Friday.

I know it's only 3 games, but he looks like he's starting to hit the ball real hard and looks a lot better up there at the plate. Plus, his arm at second is very impressive, this was shown on the play he made on Molina up the middle last night.

So, do any of you think Alexei will make the most of this opportunity and live up to the hype he was given this spring? It looks like he's finally starting to get a hold of Major League pitching now.

doublem23
05-18-2008, 08:45 PM
When you're offense sucks, you play the hot hand... And to boot, Ramirez is just as capable a defender as Uribe, so until he stops hitting, Uribe can rest his hammy.

October26
05-18-2008, 08:47 PM
One thing that amazes me about Alexei is his power. He has such a thin frame that I'm amazed that he can hit a HR. I know that hitting is all in the wrists (so the experts tell me), but his game winning homer on Friday against the Giants was a great surprise. Also, as we saw today, he can run (he scored all the way from first on Swisher's double). We need more speed on this Sox team; I would say as of right now, I like this kid, Alexei Ramirez whom Ozzie has affectionately nicknamed "The Cuban Missile." :smile:

soxfan43
05-18-2008, 08:47 PM
When you're offense sucks, you play the hot hand... And to boot, Ramirez is just as capable a defender as Uribe, so until he stops hitting, Uribe can rest his hammy.

I concur, when you hit like crap for a few weeks, I'll take whoever is hot.

Craig Grebeck
05-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Eh, when you strike out twice to 2008 Barry Zito -- something's wrong.

doublem23
05-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Eh, when you strike out twice to 2008 Barry Zito -- something's wrong.

Probably that he's only got 52 MLB PA's.

Craig Grebeck
05-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Probably that he's only got 52 MLB PA's.
I just think he could use some time in the minors. Obviously management is in a tough spot with Richar being injured. Hopefully he can return soon and supplant Ramirez.

turners56
05-18-2008, 08:59 PM
I just think he could use some time in the minors. Obviously management is in a tough spot with Richar being injured. Hopefully he can return soon and supplant Ramirez.

He's showing improvement. He doesn't look so lost up there now, that's why I created this thread. Alexei is playing well.

doublem23
05-18-2008, 09:01 PM
He's showing improvement. He doesn't look so lost up there now, that's why I created this thread. Alexei is playing well.

Yeah. I just want him to keep getting at bats, I don't care if it's in AAA or here. He's hitting right now and he's got some sorely needed speed.

Chicken Dinner
05-18-2008, 09:04 PM
I'd still rather have Uribe out there. My opinion.

QCIASOXFAN
05-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah. I just want him to keep getting at bats, I don't care if it's in AAA or here. He's hitting right now and he's got some sorely needed speed.
I agree. No need to send him down if he keeps hitting though. He's pretty exciting.

Chicken Dinner
05-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Bench players are supposed to be great substitutions when starters go down. I hope Alexi keeps it up. The Sox right now probably have the smallest DL of anyone. Lets keep it that way.

UofCSoxFan
05-18-2008, 09:25 PM
As I mentioned in the game thread today, I really wouldn't mind the Sox putting Uribe on the DL (retroactive to when he last played) with both Alexei and Pablo hitting well in his absence and using that roster spot to bring up another arm in the pen which has been taxed lately. Just a thought.

regionsox73
05-18-2008, 09:38 PM
He did make the nice throw in one of the games, but today his defense puckered a bit especially in tight situations (cutoff man, tentative in the 8th). Long story short, I am not sure I want him in the field in a one run game against Cleveland or Minnesota in August/September. Can we just let him DH?:cool: He could use some time in AAA to shore up his D.

In a perfect world Richar would have never gotten hurt, taken a stragle hold on the 2B position, Uribe would have been released, Richar would be hitting .280.

In a fantasy world we get Brian Roberts who would give us a leadoff hitter that is hitting above .220 and a guy with as many SB that we have as a team. I know it won't happen but I can dream.

ondafarm
05-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Obviously, Alexei is one heck of a ball player. He's got a modicum of polishing required, but he's showing a lot of signs of improving. I love his speed and enthusiasm. His defense is becoming better, like any shortstop moved to 2nd he's adjusting. His approach at the plate still needs improvement, he's still guessing on a lot of balls and not getting good at bats. He's a smart guy and that seems to be improving. He needs work, but is getting better. I actually like him to continue at second. He blew a sure double play today and should have shown more effort on that ball that hit the bag (2B needs to chase that down.)

champagne030
05-18-2008, 10:12 PM

No, he is not.

You may make an argument that Alexei bats better than Uribe, but he's brutal in the field.

voodoochile
05-18-2008, 10:20 PM
No, he is not.

You may make an argument that Alexei bats better than Uribe, but he's brutal in the field.

He's made some huge strides defensively since Spring Training. He's not the same raw kid he was trying vainly to play a position he doesn't have a clue how to play...

QCIASOXFAN
05-18-2008, 10:38 PM
No, he is not.

How can you say he's "brutal in the field" when he hasn't even made an Error this season? Seriously?

jabrch
05-18-2008, 10:38 PM
I was hoping to see him spend most of this season in Charlotte working on playing SS - but given our 2B issues, I guess we may see a lot of him. I've got my fingers crossed for him.

Craig Grebeck
05-18-2008, 10:40 PM
How can you say he's "brutal in the field" when he hasn't even made an Error this season? Seriously?
Errors tell you nothing.

voodoochile
05-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Errors tell you nothing.

That's kind of an over generalization. I mean yes, errors are subjectively scored, but it can help paint a picture of a defenders worth. It's not all one should look at, but it's definitely part of it...

QCIASOXFAN
05-18-2008, 10:54 PM
All I was saying is that it's crazy to say he's been a brutal fielder. You can say he's below average or not as good as Uribe, but to call him brutal is foolish IMO. Especially for a guy who has zero errors on the season.

oeo
05-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Errors tell you nothing.

They don't, but I still want to know why he's 'brutal.' He screwed up the cutoff play today, but other than that, he's been very good.

This is like people having the idea that he's completely lost at the plate, which is not true. He's had his issues, but what rookie does not? I want him facing major league pitching.

jabrch
05-18-2008, 11:08 PM
All I was saying is that it's crazy to say he's been a brutal fielder. You can say he's below average or not as good as Uribe, but to call him brutal is foolish IMO. Especially for a guy who has zero errors on the season.

He was awful in spring training. I haven't seen enough of him play to have an opinion - but I can't imagine he is close to Uribe in terms if MI skills. If he is - he was a heck of a steal for just over 1mm per for 4 years.

LoveYourSuit
05-18-2008, 11:33 PM
With the huge question mark that will become of the SS position next season since Cabrera is a FA and is not that great of a hitter/OBP% guy from what we have seen so far, I think it will be kind of important to see what Alexei can do here at the ML level right now both hitting and fielding.

He brings an aspect of the game we don't have....speed. He is the fastest guy we have out there right now IMO.

As for that blown cut off play...... I had conceived that run from 1st base as soon as the ball was hit down the line. It was going to take 2 perfect throws to get him. Everyone is saying that it was a blown play but I saw no replay or camera angle to show me how far around 3rd base the runner was when the ball eventually was cut by Ramirez.

SoxSpeed22
05-18-2008, 11:41 PM
If he can shorten up his swing, he would be more effective in hitting for contact. His defense still needs work, but he is improving. Depending on what Richar does after he is healthy, middle infield could be a strength.

kaufsox
05-18-2008, 11:45 PM
As for that blown cut off play...... I had conceived that run from 1st base as soon as the ball was hit down the line. It was going to take 2 perfect throws to get him. Everyone is saying that it was a blown play but I saw no replay or camera angle to show me how far around 3rd base the runner was when the ball eventually was cut by Ramirez.

First, huh? Second, I agree that it would have taken a bang-bang play to get the runner, he was still out of position on that play. Would he have gotten the runner? I don't know, but the 2B needs to be further over toward the line on that play. I don't think Ramirez has been particularly bad in the field and his OF defense has looked better than his time at second. You (or some else I forget) mentioned speed, but AR also offers a very versatile option with all of the positions he can play. Hard to send a guy like that down

regionsox73
05-18-2008, 11:58 PM
We just need to feed him. He and Ozuna look like they could play for Ethiopia in the World Baseball Games.

btrain929
05-19-2008, 12:06 AM
If he can shorten up his swing, he would be more effective in hitting for contact. His defense still needs work, but he is improving. Depending on what Richar does after he is healthy, middle infield could be a strength.

So would Jim Thome and Juan Uribe, doesn't mean it'll happen.

btrain929
05-19-2008, 12:09 AM
They don't, but I still want to know why he's 'brutal.' He screwed up the cutoff play today, but other than that, he's been very good.

This is like people having the idea that he's completely lost at the plate, which is not true. He's had his issues, but what rookie does not? I want him facing major league pitching.

He just wasn't positioned properly. The real reason why that 2nd run scored is because JD was damn near playing in CF when that ball was hit (with a RH hitter vs hard throwing lefty, you would anticipate an opposite field hit), as well as him giving a brisk walk to that ball instead of sprinting towards it.

TDog
05-19-2008, 01:16 AM
Obviously, Alexei is one heck of a ball player. He's got a modicum of polishing required, but he's showing a lot of signs of improving. I love his speed and enthusiasm. His defense is becoming better, like any shortstop moved to 2nd he's adjusting. His approach at the plate still needs improvement, he's still guessing on a lot of balls and not getting good at bats. He's a smart guy and that seems to be improving. He needs work, but is getting better. I actually like him to continue at second. He blew a sure double play today and should have shown more effort on that ball that hit the bag (2B needs to chase that down.)

I was at the game Sunday, sitting behind the plate in the upper deck and saw the referenced play develop. Because the ball was hit on the ground, the runner was breaking hard from second. Once the ball bounced over Ramirez' head in the opposite direction he was running to field it, the run scoring was assured and the Durham was sure to beat any play. He didn't advance past first and, despite running on the next pitch, was still erased in a doubleplay. A greater effort on that play would have changed nothing.

Ramirez seems to be a very good at hitting hard stuff. There may already be a book on him warning pitchers to stay away from fastballs. Ultimately, he may need to spend some time in AAA ball to learn to hit breaking balls.

HebrewHammer
05-19-2008, 02:24 AM
From now on, when a player gets replaced in the lineup we should call it a "Juan Uribe," instead of a "Wally Pipp." Hopefully, we've seen the last of The Fat Juan.

ondafarm
05-19-2008, 08:31 AM
I was at the game Sunday, sitting behind the plate in the upper deck and saw the referenced play develop. Because the ball was hit on the ground, the runner was breaking hard from second. Once the ball bounced over Ramirez' head in the opposite direction he was running to field it, the run scoring was assured and the Durham was sure to beat any play. He didn't advance past first and, despite running on the next pitch, was still erased in a doubleplay. A greater effort on that play would have changed nothing.

Ramirez seems to be a very good at hitting hard stuff. There may already be a book on him warning pitchers to stay away from fastballs. Ultimately, he may need to spend some time in AAA ball to learn to hit breaking balls.

I was watching on TV but I'm not sure we are on the same page. I'm referencing two separate plays. On the one that hit the bag, Alexei did not retrieve the ball, Swish did. On the other, a ground ball hit to him, he tried to run to the bag, then flipped to Cabrera, but too late to turn two.

Admitedly, that is a weakness for any SS going to 2B. At SS you are heading in the correct direction and any play where you can beat the runner, you just take it and throw. At 2B, the decision is much harder.

Regardless of the outcome, I think Alexei needs a little polish both offensively and defensively, but I think he's an absolute diamond in the rough. While little aspects of his game and his at bats need improvement, he's certainly shown me plenty to justify his retaining the position even if/when Uribe returns to good health.

asindc
05-19-2008, 08:37 AM
I'd still rather have Uribe out there. My opinion.

I agree. I started out this season thinking Alexi would be better off getting playing time at both 2B and SS in the minors rather than sitting on the bench up with the big leaguers. Still do to a great extent, but he has pleasantly surprised me. That said, I'd rather have Uribe's defense and experience out there, hacks and all.

Tragg
05-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Errors tell you nothing.

I'd say that the lack of errors prove nothing.

If his D isn't there, then he needs to play, be it majors or AAA - if the Sox just see him as a utility player, then it doesn't matter that much. But if he's going to be the SS next year, he should play.

voodoochile
05-19-2008, 10:18 AM
I'm most interested in seeing his bat develop because that means Cabrera can walk at the end of the year assuming Richar can continue to develop also.

That would be some kind of sick range in the middle infield and tons of speed to appease those who want more in the lineup.

kitekrazy
05-19-2008, 10:28 AM
We just need to feed him. He and Ozuna look like they could play for Ethiopia in the World Baseball Games.

It would be ridiculous to test them for steroids.

SoxfaninLA
05-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Ramirez is looking better than he did earlier in the year at the plate. I'm not sure why anyone would throw him a fastball, because he seems to destroy those and look foolish on breaking pitches, but let's just hope that he continues to see heaters. I have been wondering since about a week or so into the season why he is still on the team when it's pretty obvious he needs regular playing time which he could get in AAA, but the more I thought about it I realized perhaps Ramirez is sort of a special situation. The guy came over here from Cuba, where he probably didn't make much money, to the U.S., where he is now a millionaire, and there is probably a little bit of culture shock involved here. Perhaps the thinking is that with the big club he is around a lot of other Spanish speaking players not to mention another Cuban in Contreras, and he will be far more comfortable personally here than he would be playing in Charlotte. Of course I could also just be crazy, it certainly wouldn't be the first time :smile:

voodoochile
05-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Ramirez is looking better than he did earlier in the year at the plate. I'm not sure why anyone would throw him a fastball, because he seems to destroy those and look foolish on breaking pitches, but let's just hope that he continues to see heaters. I have been wondering since about a week or so into the season why he is still on the team when it's pretty obvious he needs regular playing time which he could get in AAA, but the more I thought about it I realized perhaps Ramirez is sort of a special situation. The guy came over here from Cuba, where he probably didn't make much money, to the U.S., where he is now a millionaire, and there is probably a little bit of culture shock involved here. Perhaps the thinking is that with the big club he is around a lot of other Spanish speaking players not to mention another Cuban in Contreras, and he will be far more comfortable personally here than he would be playing in Charlotte. Of course I could also just be crazy, it certainly wouldn't be the first time :smile:

Good points.

Also, who would Sox fans prefer to see as the utility middle infielder? Some of this was dictated by Richar getting injured and forcing the Sox to keep Uribe and play him at second.

Is there another player who can back up second and short as well as CF like Ramirez has? His versatility makes him a good fit for the team.

Oh and I actually disagree with you. I want other teams to throw this kid a steady diet of breaking balls so he gets used to seeing them. It's the only way he's gonna learn how to hit them and if he doesn't, he's not going to last long.

TDog
05-19-2008, 11:44 AM
I was watching on TV but I'm not sure we are on the same page. I'm referencing two separate plays. On the one that hit the bag, Alexei did not retrieve the ball, Swish did. ...

Nick Swisher was on the bench, and I didn't notice him running out of the firstbase dugout to take charge. I agree that Ramirez needs more polish, and I believe he needs it more offensively than defensively.

ondafarm
05-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Nick Swisher was on the bench, and I didn't notice him running out of the firstbase dugout to take charge. I agree that Ramirez needs more polish, and I believe he needs it more offensively than defensively.

Well, we agree on the big issues.

On the details, there's a slight chance that I am wrong and you are right. I'll mark it down against my quota for this year. Still, the Sox won and that's the important part.

SoxfaninLA
05-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Good points.

Oh and I actually disagree with you. I want other teams to throw this kid a steady diet of breaking balls so he gets used to seeing them. It's the only way he's gonna learn how to hit them and if he doesn't, he's not going to last long.

Yes this is a good point. For sake of short term gratification I hope he sees heaters galore, but you are correct that he is going to have to learn how to hit breaking balls sometime. Hopefully he is getting some extra time with the coaches to partially make up for the inconsistent playing time he is receiving.

TomBradley72
05-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Ramirez is looking better than he did earlier in the year at the plate. I'm not sure why anyone would throw him a fastball, because he seems to destroy those and look foolish on breaking pitches, but let's just hope that he continues to see heaters.

Is he our long term #2 hitter? Speed, ability to bunt, see more fastballs with 3-5 behind him?

doublem23
05-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Is he our long term #2 hitter? Speed, ability to bunt, see more fastballs with 3-5 behind him?

I would think so. I guess you could agrue to put him toward the end of the order to help turn it over, but I don't know why anyone would ever throw him a fastball unless he has someone protecting him.

If he can harness his ability, he's going to be a ****in monster.

btrain929
05-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Well, we agree on the big issues.

On the details, there's a slight chance that I am wrong and you are right. I'll mark it down against my quota for this year. Still, the Sox won and that's the important part.

He's definitely taking offspeed pitches alot better than earlier in the year when he would get caught on his front foot and just flail at them.

California Sox
05-19-2008, 12:57 PM
The reason I wanted him sent down is to get PT. Now, if he's going to get at least half the at bats at second, I'd be all in favor of keeping him up, If he's going to get 5 PA's a week and sit on the bench watching Juan hit .200, that's another matter.

You can tell how much longer his swing got between spring and after a month sitting on the bench. I believe we're wasting his development if he does not get significant at bats. Hopefully, this weekend will be the start of just that.

hawkjt
05-19-2008, 01:01 PM
attitude...like Pablo ,he is always smiling and really seems to appreciate being a big league ballplayer.

Richar and Alexi as our future middle infield has me feeling good about our future.

SoxfaninLA
05-19-2008, 01:21 PM

It's possible, it all depends on what you prefer in a #2 hitter I suppose. For me to be comfortable with him at #2 he would definitely develop more bat control and cut down on the strikeouts, and it remains to be seen if that could ever be his game. I think he could do well in the 9 spot to help add a little power and speed to the bottom of the lineup.

He is an exciting player to watch, that throw he had from center field earlier in the season was just amazing, and with the swing he has he can hit it out of the ballpark at anytime. Obviously some people have compared him to a poor man's Soriano and I can definitely see that, can hit the ball a mile, strong arm, and more strikeouts than some would like. I don't think he will ever be the offensive player Soriano is, but he also isn't the butcher Soriano is in the field. Ramirez is weak at second right now but he should get better with more playing time. If he can play a couple positions well, i.e. SS, 2nd, CF, he can be a pretty dynamic utility player.

ondafarm
05-19-2008, 01:56 PM
I don't see Alexei as a future utility player. I forsee him as a starter or nothing else.

comet2k
05-19-2008, 03:31 PM
I'm wondering if on Crede's throwing error in the 8th it it was because Ramirez was late to the bag or out of position. I onl;y got one look at the play on TV, and it looked like Crede double-clutched before throwing. Any one notice if it was because of Ramirez or was it just Crede?

ondafarm
05-19-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm wondering if on Crede's throwing error in the 8th it it was because Ramirez was late to the bag or out of position. I onl;y got one look at the play on TV, and it looked like Crede double-clutched before throwing. Any one notice if it was because of Ramirez or was it just Crede?

Unlike say, softball, you are actually not throwing to the man in position, you are throwing to the spot he will be. On defensing a stolen base, you are not even looking at who is/ will be there, you are throwing to a spot. Most double clutches are inability to grasp the ball related.

comet2k
05-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Unlike say, softball, you are actually not throwing to the man in position, you are throwing to the spot he will be. On defensing a stolen base, you are not even looking at who is/ will be there, you are throwing to a spot. Most double clutches are inability to grasp the ball related.

Got it. I just wondered if Ramirez wasn't where Crede expected him to be given his limited time at 2B.

oeo
05-19-2008, 03:48 PM

Crede's throws have been all out of whack the entire season, so I'm going to go with that. He needs to get his arm slot right or something...this is getting old fast.

champagne030
05-19-2008, 03:56 PM

I have no idea if Alexei was out of position or not, but I do know that his decision to sit back on Durham's grounder, instead of charging the ball, resulted in them not turning the double play in the 8th inning.

TomBradley72
05-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Ramirez is weak at second right now but he should get better with more playing time. If he can play a couple positions well, i.e. SS, 2nd, CF, he can be a pretty dynamic utility player.

I wouldn't describe him as "weak"...I'd go with raw or inexperienced...but his arm and overall ability make him an acceptable option to me. I really like his "rate of improvement"...he's been steadily getting better since Opening Day.

voodoochile
05-19-2008, 04:16 PM
I wouldn't describe him as "weak"...I'd go with raw or inexperienced...but his arm and overall ability make him an acceptable option to me. I really like his "rate of improvement"...he's been steadily getting better since Opening Day.

Exactly, he's making some mental mistakes, but his confidence is clearly higher and he's starting to get more comfortable and figure out where he should be standing most of the time.

One would expect the mental mistakes to become less common as time passes...

SoxfaninLA
05-19-2008, 04:37 PM

Raw is a much better word for it. Of compared to Uribe, who has done a tremendous job at 2nd, he seems weak but I think a lot of second basemen would. I have no problem with Ramirez getting more time at second and maybe a start here or there at SS to rest Cabrera. He adds a lot of speed to a lineup that doesn't have much to begin with.

turners56
05-19-2008, 05:44 PM
Let's say Alexei proves to be a decent 2B (better than Uribe offensively, similar defensively) for the rest of the year. And Quentin plays like he's doing right now. How much praise would you give Kenny for those two additions this off-season? Of course, this is hypothetically speaking.

voodoochile
05-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Let's say Alexei proves to be a decent 2B (better than Uribe offensively, similar defensively) for the rest of the year. And Quentin plays like he's doing right now. How much praise would you give Kenny for those two additions this off-season? Of course, this is hypothetically speaking.

I already give KW praise for the way he built this team after so many wrote it off in late November.

ondafarm
05-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Weak isn't the word with Alexei at second right now. Inexperienced might be a better choice. He's certainly making some mental errors, but not because he's slow, unenthusiastic, or not trying hard. In baseball, because things are moving really fast, even short indecisions show up. When I complained earlier about his failing to turn a double play because he tried to get to the bag first, I'd say he took two steps he shouldn't that's really just a split second of wrong decision before he righted himself and flipped to Cabrera. Alexei is very talented, very into the game, very intelligent and trying hard and also improving.

Pinar_del_Rio_WS
05-21-2008, 03:53 PM
HI to everybody in the forum, Itīs my first post.

Iīm from Pinar del Rio in Cuba and I live in Havana now. Iīm spanish spoken, so I wnat to apologize about my english.

I met Alexei personally when he was playing here, and Iīm still impressed with his power at bat and his love to play, I hope he will keep doing that way in ML.

All of U have to take into account that for him is extremely difficult what he is doing, moved from cuba to dominican repulblic, from DR to USA leaving his ypung family there, speaking no english, playing directly in ML (first cuban position player to do that), moving from SS to 2B at that level!!! Is something that must of us couldnīt do and above all be playing baseball in a decent way.

Iīm sure he will keep improving because he has a lot of talent and a lot of desires to play the ball, just give him the chance, and donīt be too rough with him.

Iīm satisfied and proud, as a cuban and his friend, of the lot of good coments that I readed in this thread and I hope that he will keep pleassing us with his development in the game.

My best whishes from havana, cuba

SAM

ondafarm
05-21-2008, 04:01 PM
:welcome:

and welcome to you Sam.

For this White Sox fan, and a few others, we are proud to have Alexei playing for our team and appreciate the effort he is making. Although he has had a few difficulties, his skill and enthusiam are both shining through. We look forward to him playing for the Chicago White Sox for a very long time.

FarWestChicago
05-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Iīm from Pinar del Rio in Cuba and I live in Havana now. Iīm spanish spoken, so I wnat to apologize about my english.There is no need to apologize. Your English is fine. Welcome to WSI.

turners56
05-21-2008, 06:55 PM

Iīm from Pinar del Rio in Cuba and I live in Havana now. Iīm spanish spoken, so I wnat to apologize about my english.

I met Alexei personally when he was playing here, and Iīm still impressed with his power at bat and his love to play, I hope he will keep doing that way in ML.

All of U have to take into account that for him is extremely difficult what he is doing, moved from cuba to dominican repulblic, from DR to USA leaving his ypung family there, speaking no english, playing directly in ML (first cuban position player to do that), moving from SS to 2B at that level!!! Is something that must of us couldnīt do and above all be playing baseball in a decent way.

Iīm sure he will keep improving because he has a lot of talent and a lot of desires to play the ball, just give him the chance, and donīt be too rough with him.

Iīm satisfied and proud, as a cuban and his friend, of the lot of good coments that I readed in this thread and I hope that he will keep pleassing us with his development in the game.

SAM

Your English is damn good, don't worry about it.

Madscout
05-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Welcome to the site, dear Cuban friend.

I gotta say that I love Alexi Ramierez, and I love what he has done so far. But I wish they would send him down for a few months to a year, just so we can take what he has in raw talent and turn him in to the refined ball player he can, and should, be. I think he could use individual instruction about how to hit for contact. I think he could become better at running the basepaths with confidence, such that he turns from a minor threat to a major threat on the basepaths. And I think we can turn him into a specialist at one position, so that he can really help us out for the long term, and not just be a supersub.

Granted, a few things have to happen.
1 Richar needs to get healthy and ready to play
2 We need to decide what we want to do with Cabrera
2a Cabrera needs to show us what we can expect from him
3 We need to decide what slugger (Konerko, Thome, or Dye) if any is leaving

Then, and only then, can we send him down with a mission, to turn him into whatever we want him to be.

TomBradley72
05-21-2008, 07:39 PM

SAM

Welcome! Great post. I hope we hear from you throughout the season. I'm a big fan of Alexei (and Contreras), not just for their baseball skills but their perseverence.

Pinar_del_Rio_WS
05-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Many thanks to everyone, I hope I could keep participating in the forum and that the WS will have a great season again.

Here U have the stats of Alexei when he played for Pinar del Rio Team, Itīs only as a reference, the cuban season have a 90 games season with 1/4, 1/2 and finals play offs (best of 5 games, best of 7 and best of 7) and sometimes there is another tournament called īsuperligaīor whatever they name it with only four teams gropued as west, center, east and havana teams that play around 30 - 40 games each. All these stats are compiled together as the lifetime stats of a player. the second line of numbers are for his last season in cuba (played 89 of 90) games

Batting

PA AB R H BA 2B 3B HR TB SLU SB CS RBI SH SF HBP BB
2820 2478 455 827 .334 134 26 90 1283 .518 44 32 397 17 16 42 267
403 340 65 114 .335 13 4 20 195 .574 6 3 68 0 1 14 48

IBB SO GIDP
44 281 66
17 37 10

Fielding

G Inn O A E Total Ave DP
646 5376.2 1353 1053 80 2486 .968 280
89 772.1 187 57 5 249 .980 16 Played 2B, 3B, SS, RF

Itīs only for general knowledge, the baseball here is so different that there is no way or sense to make any comparison. for example Pinar del Rio Team donīt use to steal many bases, only 29 (and 34 CS) in total for the whole team in 90 games!! and the ball that they were using was softer also, he was the HR champion with only 20 HRīs. as a comparison this year they used a mizuno 150 japanese ball and the leader smashed 30 HR.

So many thanks again and Go, Sox, Go, donīt stop believing

SAM
Havana, Cuba

KenBerryGrab
05-22-2008, 10:52 AM
Welcome, Sam! Thanks for your insight. I think the Sox have caught lightning in a bottle with Alexei. Even with his relative rawness, you can tell he's a real pelotero!