PDA

View Full Version : Controversial Home Run Reversal at Mets-Yankees Game

Viva Medias B's
05-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Ahead of the Yankees 3-0 with two runners on base, Carlos Delgado of the Mets hits a line drive down the left field line that appeared to touch the bottom of the foul pole or the top of the wall. Third base umpire Mike Reilly initially rules it a home run, but the call is reversed after the umpires talk it over. Eventually, it looks like it got Jerry Manuel ejected after he yelled at the umps from the Mets dugout.

EDIT: Please move to "Talking Baseball" forum. Sorry!

asindc
05-18-2008, 09:28 PM
The foul pole is not aligned behind the foul line there, it is a few inches inside the foul line. That was a HR.

turners56
05-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Jerry got ejected? Whoa, that's a first.

sox1970
05-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Who woke up Manuel?

DSpivack
05-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Jerry got ejected? Woah, that's a first.

I remember him being ejected a few times with the White Sox. It seemed rather forced, that he was trying to "Get the boys going."

Morgan and Miller going back and forth as they continue to obsess over the LF pole was hilarious, they were discussing how the OF walls 'curves' around the pole, Miller says something about remembering the curvature of the earth (a lame joke) and Morgan goes "Oh, so you're an environmentalist now."

October26
05-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Who woke up Manuel?

The home plate umpire was yelling at the bench (Willie Randolph and Jerry Manuel). Nice to see Jerry get animated (wish he could have done more of this while managing the Sox here in Chicago). Jerry was ejected from the game. I thought Willie Randolph should have been more animated and gotten himself ejected from this game. Clearly, that was a home run and the call went against the Mets.

turners56
05-18-2008, 10:02 PM
I remember him being ejected a few times with the White Sox. It seemed rather forced, that he was trying to "Get the boys going."

Morgan and Miller going back and forth as they continue to obsess over the LF pole was hilarious, they were discussing how the OF walls 'curves' around the pole, Miller says something about remembering the curvature of the earth (a lame joke) and Morgan goes "Oh, so you're an environmentalist now."

Jerry always sat there and watched the game IMO. Every manager gets ejected now and then, Jerry was one of them. But Jerry had absolutely zero fire. It's like he made the lineups and took pitchers out, and that was it.

DSpivack
05-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Jerry always sat there and watched the game IMO. Every manager gets ejected now and then, Jerry was one of them. But Jerry had absolutely zero fire. It's like he made the lineups and took pitchers out, and that was it.

Yeah, that's what made it so funny the few times he was kicked out. You could tell he was trying to do it.

sox1970
05-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Yeah, that's what made it so funny the few times he was kicked out. You could tell he was trying to do it.

He was good at the finger pointing and head bobbing. How he did that without swearing, I'll never know.

Jjav829
05-18-2008, 10:44 PM
It was clearly the wrong call. I'm not sure if I heard this right, but did the home plate ump say to Delgado that it was overturned because the guy caught the ball in foul territory? As if they just assumed that because the ball was caught in foul territory, it couldn't have hit the foul pole? :?:

palehozenychicty
05-18-2008, 11:01 PM
That call was abominable. I can't believe that Willie didn't get ejected. The papers have been speculating that he was in trouble after the Mets again gagged to the Nasty Nats earlier this week. For Willie to get upstaged by Manuel :o: is even weirder.

ondafarm
05-18-2008, 11:15 PM
The home plate umpire was yelling at the bench (Willie Randolph and Jerry Manuel). Nice to see Jerry get animated (wish he could have done more of this while managing the Sox here in Chicago). Jerry was ejected from the game. I thought Willie Randolph should have been more animated and gotten himself ejected from this game. Clearly, that was a home run and the call went against the Mets.

My guess is Willie said something to Jerry, his bench coach, to the effect of "I can't get thrown out, but I need someone to fire up the team, get yourself thrown out for me would ya?"

I wish Ozzie Guillen would do this once in awhile. Arguing with umpires isn't about getting this call it's about getting the next one and about protecting your team in your player's minds. I think the Tori Hunter running over Jaime Burke non-arguement and praising of Tori by Ozzie probably cost the White Sox team 20 games that season.

HomeFish
05-18-2008, 11:32 PM
I wish Ozzie Guillen would do this once in awhile.

:?:

DSpivack
05-18-2008, 11:46 PM
My guess is Willie said something to Jerry, his bench coach, to the effect of "I can't get thrown out, but I need someone to fire up the team, get yourself thrown out for me would ya?"

I wish Ozzie Guillen would do this once in awhile. Arguing with umpires isn't about getting this call it's about getting the next one and about protecting your team in your player's minds. I think the Tori Hunter running over Jaime Burke non-arguement and praising of Tori by Ozzie probably cost the White Sox team 20 games that season.

Ugh, that was the ugliest Sox game I've ever been at.

CubKilla
05-18-2008, 11:49 PM
I don't care what the curvature was. A ball that hits the fair/foul pole is a HR. Last time I can remember a call that bad was Crede's HR against Baltimore. 3B ump got it right initially but asked for verification. HP ump had $$$ on the game and ruled an obvious HR a foul ball.

I wonder what the umps feel like when the game is over, they go to their locker room, and they watch "Baseball Tonight."

That call should give Bill Davidson nightmare's. Ray Charles could have seen that that as a HR.

Brian26
05-18-2008, 11:54 PM
Eventually, it looks like it got Jerry Manuel ejected after he yelled at the umps from the Mets dugout.

Apparently Jerry doesn't like to leave the bench to dispute botched home run calls. At least he opened his mouth this time, unlike the Crede homer in Baltimore.

gobears1987
05-19-2008, 12:56 AM
I wish Ozzie Guillen would do this once in awhile. Arguing with umpires isn't about getting this call it's about getting the next one and about protecting your team in your player's minds. I think the Tori Hunter running over Jaime Burke non-arguement and praising of Tori by Ozzie probably cost the White Sox team 20 games that season.Where do you come up with this ****?

I think it was playing 4 months without Maggs and Frank that cost the Sox 20 games that season. That and the fact we had no 5th starter. If you're going to bash Ozzie, at least let it be something legitimate.

kjhanson
05-19-2008, 01:08 AM
I think the Tori Hunter running over Jaime Burke non-arguement and praising of Tori by Ozzie probably cost the White Sox team 20 games that season.

The Sox were 52-44 when that incident happened. They went 31-35 afterwards. According to your calculations, they should have gone 51-15 and been a 103-win team.

JB98
05-19-2008, 02:31 AM
That was a horrendous call. I laughed seeing Manuel go ape**** on the bench. :D:

wilburaga
05-19-2008, 06:44 AM
A Met fan named Chris Rom recovered the ball and it had a clear scuff on it from the pole. From the NY Times...

"But the umpires did not consult Rom, of course, talking instead with Jeter"

***?????

Guess the umps thought a shortstop with his team in last place would never lie.

W

itsnotrequired
05-19-2008, 07:08 AM
A Met fan named Chris Rom recovered the ball and it had a clear scuff on it from the pole. From the NY Times...

"But the umpires did not consult Rom, of course, talking instead with Jeter"

***?????

Guess the umps thought a shortstop with his team in last place would never lie.

W

The umps should never consult fans on calls. Talking to Jeter was a waste as well but it would be very lame if umps opened their conferences to any fool that can afford a ticket.

Viva Medias B's
05-19-2008, 07:42 AM
I recall a similar incident at USCF when Mágglio Ordóńez, while still with us, hit what appeared to be a home run down the right field line. IIRC, it touched the foul pole similar to Delgado's home run that wasn't last night. Similarly, the umpires ruled that Ordóńez did not hit a home run. The funniest part about that was Hawk and DJ going back in forth in the booth over whether it was really a home run.

doublem23
05-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Instant Replay

*clap, clap, clapclapclap*

Instant Replay

ondafarm
05-19-2008, 09:34 AM
I think an instant replay umpire would come in very handy for things like this.

ondafarm
05-19-2008, 09:43 AM
The Sox were 52-44 when that incident happened. They went 31-35 afterwards. According to your calculations, they should have gone 51-15 and been a 103-win team.

Although you may dispute the number I "pulled from the ether" I think your calculations prove my point. The Sox had the ability to win that year and Ozzie Guillen's poor judgement cost the Sox dearly. The were a .542 before that and a .470 team afterwards. Had Guillen's gaffe only cost them 10 games then the Sox would have gone 93-69 and won the division.

oeo
05-19-2008, 10:06 AM
The umps should never consult fans on calls. Talking to Jeter was a waste as well but it would be very lame if umps opened their conferences to any fool that can afford a ticket.

How about checking out the ball? I don't expect them to believe the fan, but if the evidence is there...

I don't know if they can do that, though.

fquaye149
05-19-2008, 10:08 AM
How about checking out the ball? I don't expect them to believe the fan, but if the evidence is there...

I don't know if they can do that, though.

A scuffed ball?

rdwj
05-19-2008, 10:20 AM
A scuffed ball?

They do basically the same thing when players claim to be hit by a pitch in the foot. If there is black on the ball, you were hit.

That was a REALLY bad call. Still, I hope I NEVER see the day that instant replay is adopted by baseball.

Jerko
05-19-2008, 10:22 AM
That was a goofy play. The ball initially hit to the right of the fair line at the top of the wall, bounced and caromed left, and left a scuff mark that big on the LEFT side of the foul pole? There was a reporter down there sitting on the wall and his ass fit between the foul line and the foul pole. They did show a white scuff mark on the foul pole and a black mark on the ball, but I can't believe the ball originally landed to the right of the pole, bounced, and left that big of a mark on the left side of the pole. All in all it was a fair ball though.

fquaye149
05-19-2008, 10:28 AM
They do basically the same thing when players claim to be hit by a pitch in the foot. If there is black on the ball, you were hit.

That was a REALLY bad call. Still, I hope I NEVER see the day that instant replay is adopted by baseball.

couple of things:

1.) that's only happened like twice in the history of the game. I think the last time was like Eddie Matthews in the 60's.

2.) there's a big ****ing difference between looking at a ball that only the catcher has touched and never left the field of play and looking at a ball that disappeared into the crowd and may not even be the original ball

doublem23
05-19-2008, 10:30 AM
I think an instant replay umpire would come in very handy for things like this.

I believe IR could be very helpful in baseball, but I understand the concern for some other calls (like out/safe calls at a base, missed call on a stolen base, etc.), but how can you not have IR for a call like that? How much effort would it take for someone in the booth to tell the umps that was a HR? You could have made the correct call before Delgado finished his HR trot.

wilburaga
05-19-2008, 10:41 AM

I agree that consulting with fans on a call is out of the question. Checking the ball would seem to make sense, but perhaps once the ball leaves the field the 'chain of custody' would be considered broken.

I'm just annoyed that they consulted with Jeter, a shortstop on a last place team if I haven't mentioned that before.

W

chaerulez
05-19-2008, 10:41 AM

What the hell was there to argue about? It didn't break any rules. Who would he argue to? Gardenhire? Did you want the umps to eject Hunter? If so, why? The play wasn't "clean" so to speak, but again it didn't break any rules. If you wanted Ozzie to "fire" up the troops so to speak, even though I don't think grown men need to be "fired up" in that manner, it would've been to plunk Torii the next time he came up to bat or whatever Twin was coming up in the next inning.

I also believe that incident happened late in the season, like late July or early August. So I don't know if the 20 game thing is an exaggeration on your part, but I hope it is because not only are you saying that one incident cost the Sox a 103 win season, you are saying if not for that one incident the Sox would've went on some sort of record breaking post All Star Game tear.

Me I think it more had to do with Frank and Mags only playing a combined 130 games or so and having Joe Borchard as the replacement. It also could've been we had big holes in the lineup in catcher and second base. Two positions that were addressed before 2005. Or our starting and relief pitching wasn't all that good. If Ozzie's non arguments and praising of other teams cost the team 20 games, I'd like to see how many games his on field decisions have.

chaerulez
05-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Although you may dispute the number I "pulled from the ether" I think your calculations prove my point. The Sox had the ability to win that year and Ozzie Guillen's poor judgement cost the Sox dearly. The were a .542 before that and a .470 team afterwards. Had Guillen's gaffe only cost them 10 games then the Sox would have gone 93-69 and won the division.

Again where do you pull these numbers from? Ozzie's "gaffe" didn't cost the team anything. The fact they weren't that good of a team with their two best hitters gone (and who would be) cost them the division. Ten games! You admit a 83 win team and a 93 win team are two pretty diffferent things. One is likely not going to the postseason and the other likely is. The contention that a manager's postgame comments or how well he yells at an umpire can make that difference isn't logical. Why can't we just admit it was talent on the field that made that 10 game difference?

fquaye149
05-19-2008, 10:46 AM
The team was playing like a bunch of lazy *******s in 2004. I don't blame Ozzie for saying he wished they played like Hunter.

itsnotrequired
05-19-2008, 10:51 AM
I'm just annoyed that they consulted with Jeter, a shortstop on a last place team if I haven't mentioned that before.

W

What difference does the place of the team matter?

fquaye149
05-19-2008, 11:00 AM

Don't you watch baseball? SS's from first place teams are more credibile

Eddo144
05-19-2008, 11:07 AM
I believe IR could be very helpful in baseball, but I understand the concern for some other calls (like out/safe calls at a base, missed call on a stolen base, etc.), but how can you not have IR for a call like that? How much effort would it take for someone in the booth to tell the umps that was a HR? You could have made the correct call before Delgado finished his HR trot.
I agree. The best proposal I've seen would be to only use instant replay on home run calls; the reason for this is that it's a dead ball anyway.

It wouldn't work on balls and strikes or plays at bases, as the ball remains live, unlike in the NFL. Imagine the following scenario: a hard ground ball is hit to the 1B, who steps on first then throws to second. The SS catches the throw with his foot touching second base, but fails to tag the runner in time to get the out. Now, replay determines that the 1B never touched first base. Therefore, the batter is safe at first. What do you do about the runner on second? Is he now out, as that play should have been a force-out? Or do you only reverse the one part of the call?

However, if a home run is close between being fair and foul, either all the runners score, or they all go back to their original base. There isn't a chain of events with a home run.

ondafarm
05-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Three seperate posters have questioned my remarks and I will try to address them all with a single post.

I didn't say anything was illegal on the Hunter-Burke play. But because something is illegal is far from the only reason a manager should come out to argue. The blown home run call was not illegal, but I think JM arguing about it was good for the Mets as a team last night.

Let me contrast Ozzie's reaction with that of Gardenhire's reaction to AJ stepping on the first base bag twice on groundouts close to Justin Morneau's foot.

Either illegal? No. Clearly not.

Both done with a bit of malice? Yeah, probably.

Can an umpire make a judgement call when a play is made with malice? He can, it's seldom, but it does happen. I certainly recall broken up double plays which were awarded because of aggresive take outs. Yesterday's Sox game involved a rolling take out slide at second which was not illegal, but could have been called for interference. DJ mentioned it.

When AJ stepped on first on a routine ground out the second time, Gardenhire came out and argued, futilelly, until he was almost tossed from the game. He received a curt warning and retreated to his dugout. There were a few mixed quotes from players in the Minny paper about the incident, but Gardenhire pointedly avoided the topic.

When Hunter ran over Burke, Ozzie didn't come out and the next day was quoted in the papers as saying it was a good play and I wish I had guys like Hunter.

Results?

Every player on the Twins bench thought the same thing; Gardenhire is sticking up for Morneau, and would for me in the same situation. Justin barely even noticed it but Gardenhire was out there fighting for him until the umps told him to go away. If I get in a tight spot, then I know coach will fight tooth and nail for me.

Every player on the Sox bench thought quite differently. Burke got knocked down and could use a show of support. Ozzie seems to be rooting for the Twins. What's a matter, we aren't good enough for Ozzie? If I get in a tight spot will Ozzie protect me or cheer the other guy?

Now, if you want to say "These are professionals, they should motivate themselves." They are professionals playing a kids game. Playing professional baseball is all about confidence and is much closer to living on a knife edge than almsot anybody believes. Should Brian Anderson run into the wall and break his leg tommorow, his career might be over. Should Jose Contreras really hurt his back, he might be done. Does it matter? You spend your whole life becoming really great at something that's really, really hard and it gets ruined in one day, see if that doesn't affect you.

When playing professional ball, the more things you can put out of your mind and rely on, the easier it is to play well. The Sox had 66 games left at the time of the Burke-Hunter play. Could a team with a few flaws (2B, catcher and 5th starter) play .600 ball over the course of two months? If they are motivated by a good skipper that's not hard to see at all. The Chicago Cubs seem to have done no less for the past two months.

ondafarm
05-19-2008, 11:32 AM
I agree. The best proposal I've seen would be to only use instant replay on home run calls; the reason for this is that it's a dead ball anyway.

It wouldn't work on balls and strikes or plays at bases, as the ball remains live, unlike in the NFL. Imagine the following scenario: a hard ground ball is hit to the 1B, who steps on first then throws to second. The SS catches the throw with his foot touching second base, but fails to tag the runner in time to get the out. Now, replay determines that the 1B never touched first base. Therefore, the batter is safe at first. What do you do about the runner on second? Is he now out, as that play should have been a force-out? Or do you only reverse the one part of the call?

However, if a home run is close between being fair and foul, either all the runners score, or they all go back to their original base. There isn't a chain of events with a home run.

Just as the NFL has pretty clear rules about what is and what isn't reviewable, so baseball would need them. A replay umpire would have easily awarded the White Sox a homer in the Civil Rights game for the last game of ST this year.

wilburaga
05-19-2008, 11:32 AM

Not a thing in the world. I just like typing it.

Last place Yankees, last place Yankees, last place Yankees, last place Yankees.

I feel sooo much better.

W

I_Liked_Manuel
05-19-2008, 11:45 AM

it was great when the papers were getting on him for not getting tossed from a game once in a while, and he went out and got tossed out of 2 or 3 games in a week

ondafarm
05-19-2008, 12:55 PM
it was great when the papers were getting on him for not getting tossed from a game once in a while, and he went out and got tossed out of 2 or 3 games in a week

I figured you'd turn up in this conversation.

AZChiSoxFan
05-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Who woke up Manuel?

:rolling:

AZChiSoxFan
05-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Instant Replay

*clap, clap, clapclapclap*

Instant Replay

Why not just hire two more ups per game and have them stand right by the foul poles? It's not like MLB can't afford it.

BadBobbyJenks
05-19-2008, 01:31 PM
couple of things:

1.) that's only happened like twice in the history of the game. I think the last time was like Eddie Matthews in the 60's.

2.) there's a big ****ing difference between looking at a ball that only the catcher has touched and never left the field of play and looking at a ball that disappeared into the crowd and may not even be the original ball

Ok if you dont want to look at the ball there was an easier way to get the call right. They could have looked at the foul pole and seen the white ball mark as well.

fquaye149
05-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Ok if you dont want to look at the ball there was an easier way to get the call right. They could have looked at the foul pole and seen the white ball mark as well.

I'll buy that.

They should have done something. Taking a fan's word for it (even if the ball was scuffed) is not the thing to do, though.

doublem23
05-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Why not just hire two more ups per game and have them stand right by the foul poles? It's not like MLB can't afford it.

Why not just have one more guy in the press box watching the camera feeds of the game?

AZChiSoxFan
05-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Why not just have one more guy in the press box watching the camera feeds of the game?

Because I'm opposed to replay in any form but still want to see home run calls correct. Putting umps at the foul poles (and I mean right at the pole) still avoids replay but give you a much, much better shot at getting the calls correct.

doublem23
05-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Because I'm opposed to replay in any form but still want to see home run calls correct. Putting umps at the foul poles (and I mean right at the pole) still avoids replay but give you a much, much better shot at getting the calls correct.

What's the point of having two umpires just stand at the foul poles? How many HR controversies are there really? Plus, what about towering HR's that go over the poles? Maybe they can make a better guess than the guy at 3B, but it's still a guess. And what about other HR controversies, like parks that have their stupid yellow line zig and zag all over the wall, like Houston? These foul pole umps are worthless for those calls.

I'm not talking about instituting an NFL-style replay system where 1 guy sits under a hood for 5 minutes, 1 guy with the right slow-mo camera angle would have made the right call in seconds.

Viva Medias B's
05-19-2008, 04:58 PM
In today's New York Daily News coverage (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2008/05/18/2008-05-18_willie_randolph_rejects_ejection.html) of this, Jerry Manuel is quoted as saying this about his ejection:

MOD EDIT: Please do not copy and paste text directly to our boards from copyrighted sites. No, the "Quote" feature doesn't make it OK.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1816124&postcount=2

He led the league in ejections in 2003? Maybe that is the case, but I would have never have guessed that.

BadBobbyJenks
05-19-2008, 06:05 PM
I'm not talking about instituting an NFL-style replay system where 1 guy sits under a hood for 5 minutes, 1 guy with the right slow-mo camera angle would have made the right call in seconds.

Exactly, everyone watching one replay of that home run saw it was a bad call on the first slowmo look. Replay is a good thing.

gobears1987
05-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Again where do you pull these numbers from? Ozzie's "gaffe" didn't cost the team anything. The fact they weren't that good of a team with their two best hitters gone (and who would be) cost them the division. Ten games! You admit a 83 win team and a 93 win team are two pretty diffferent things. One is likely not going to the postseason and the other likely is. The contention that a manager's postgame comments or how well he yells at an umpire can make that difference isn't logical. Why can't we just admit it was talent on the field that made that 10 game difference?On top of losing our two top hitters, the Sox also had no 5th starter. How many bums did we run through that spot in 2004? Not Ozzie's fault. We had no one available. Of course facts won't saw some people.

gobears1987
05-19-2008, 10:12 PM
When playing professional ball, the more things you can put out of your mind and rely on, the easier it is to play well. The Sox had 66 games left at the time of the Burke-Hunter play. Could a team with a few flaws (2B, catcher and 5th starter) play .600 ball over the course of two months? If they are motivated by a good skipper that's not hard to see at all. The Chicago Cubs seem to have done no less for the past two months.The Sox flaws were far worse than no 2B, catcher, and 5th starter. The Sox also had no RF (LTP sucked), DH, or pen. Cotts, Politte, and Marte were all pretty bad that year. Outside of Shingo there was no one the Sox could turn to in the pen.

The fact that the Sox were in contention in late July with that roster is actually a testament to Ozzie's ability to manage. They never should've even been above .500.

ondafarm
05-19-2008, 11:29 PM
The fact that the Sox were in contention in late July with that roster is actually a testament to Ozzie's ability to manage. They never should've even been above .500.

One year removed from winning the World Series?

Of course, facts won't saw some people.

gobears1987
05-19-2008, 11:43 PM
One year removed from winning the World Series?

Of course, facts won't saw some people.The 2004 and 2005 Sox couldn't be more different.

Look at all of the players KW got rid of and all of the additions made.

The fact is you hate Ozzie and you won't let logic and reason allow you to actually give him credit. You made a preposterous statement and now you can't back it up.

In 2005 we had Dye, Pods, Iguchi, AJ, a much improved Crede, Hermanson, El Duque, a good Jon Garland, Jenks, a career year Cotts, and a career year Politte.

None of those were present in 2004. Jon Garland just clicked when he was no longer asked to be a front of the rotation starter. Cotts and Politte reached feats they never had reached and never would again reach.

The 2004 team is best compared with the teams from 2001-2003. It had little in common with the 2005 team as the entire team concept was changed along with much of the personnel.

WhiteSoxJunkie
05-22-2008, 12:14 AM
And now tonight A-Rod was robbed on a home run call at Yankee Stadium.

doublem23
05-22-2008, 03:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3408154

Here it comes...