PDA

View Full Version : I just realized...

HawkTheGM
05-18-2008, 04:36 AM
The law of averages says that the Cubs will win a world series in our lifetime.

How would you deal with that?

munchman33
05-18-2008, 05:27 AM

Knowing that the law of averages also said they'd win one in my grandfather's lifetime.

LITTLE NELL
05-18-2008, 05:52 AM
It depends how old you are. I was born in 1946 and they havent been to the World Series since 45, maybe I cursed them.

Vernam
05-18-2008, 10:07 AM

How would you deal with that?It's fine by me so long as I live to be 150. :cool:

Vernam

itsnotrequired
05-18-2008, 10:14 AM

I would live my life as normal.

DumpJerry
05-18-2008, 10:19 AM

Do you have a citation for the law you are referring to? Is it a state law or Federal law? Has it been upheld in court? How has it been enforced or implemented in the past? What other thoughts do you have at 3:36 in the morning?

A child who is born today will not see the Cubs win the World Series. Pinella himself said it recently when he pointed out that the Cubs always seem to have a "Cubs moment" each year which derails what seems like a sure appearance in the Fall Classic.

SoxandtheCityTee
05-18-2008, 10:28 AM

Me too also. In 2003 I did fret a little that the Sox franchise would be damaged if the Cubs got there first. With the 2005 WS and other paradigm shifts behind us, this is no longer an issue.

Quite a few die-hard Flubbie fans I know now fret that when their club does go all the way, they have to share the experience with a bunch of jackass fans that they despise and who have not "earned it" they way they have. :rolling:

In sports fandom, there's always something to be upset about, if you like.

itsnotrequired
05-18-2008, 10:32 AM
Me too also. In 2003 I did fret a little that the Sox franchise would be damaged if the Cubs got there first. With the 2005 WS and other paradigm shifts behind us, this is no longer an issue.

Quite a few die-hard Flubbie fans I know now fret that when their club does go all the way, they have to share the experience with a bunch of jackass fans that they despise and who have not "earned it" they way they have. :rolling:

In sports fandom, there's always something to be upset about, if you like.

That's what makes these questions so ridiculous. Are any die-hard Cub fans honestly still wringing their hands over the Sox 2005 season? Maybe at the time but anyone still bent out of shape about it three years later should be flogged.

DumpJerry
05-18-2008, 10:42 AM
More to the point is the fact that the law of averages addresses Probability. Probability does not factor into sports because games are not random events. There are too many events during the course of a game/season which are not left to chance. Coin flipping, assuming both sides of the coin are of equal weight and the flipping technique is identical for each flip, is an example of the law of averages at work.

voodoochile
05-18-2008, 11:09 AM

Call up a couple of flubbie fan friends I have and congratulate them. Tell them I am happy for them.

sox1970
05-18-2008, 11:12 AM
We were first.

:shrug:

jabrch
05-18-2008, 11:46 AM
I'd be very happy for many of my friends who are diehard, knowledgeable baseball fans who have rooted for their team as long as I have for mine and have yet to see what I have seen...

If it can't be the Sox, I really have no problem with the Cubs.

bigfoot
05-18-2008, 12:02 PM
It depends how old you are. I was born in 1946 and they havent been to the World Series since 45, maybe I cursed them.

Way to go!!!!!:bandance::bandance::bandance:

bigfoot
05-18-2008, 12:04 PM

My friend said that to me, once upon a time.

My reply,......"I'm sure you're right, Methuselah!"

soxfan43
05-18-2008, 12:32 PM
I would congratulate my die hard real cub fans and tell them to enjoy the fun. After that I would pack my bags and go on vacation until the parade is over and some of the hoopla dies down.

JB98
05-18-2008, 01:36 PM
If the Cubs were to win, you'd never hear the end of it for the rest of your life. Just like we'll never hear the end of the 1985 Bears for the rest of our lives.

I hope we get our second World Series title soon. That way, the Cubs would have to win two just to tie us. :D:

I_Liked_Manuel
05-18-2008, 02:22 PM

the law of averages doesn't apply when everything's not equal. even if things were equal, they'd have a 1/30 shot of winning it every year - not the likelihood of winning it once every 30 years.

i'd put my money on detroit's population seeing a growth in my lifetime before i put money on the cubs winning a world series - so basically i'm not too concerned that we'll see a cubs world series championship anytime soon.

PatK
05-19-2008, 09:44 AM
If the Cubs were to win, you'd never hear the end of it for the rest of your life. Just like we'll never hear the end of the 1985 Bears for the rest of our lives.

I hope we get our second World Series title soon. That way, the Cubs would have to win two just to tie us. :D:

Same here.

I'm sick of hearing about the 85 Bears. I was so steamed that the 2006 Bears didn't win not only because they didn't bring home a championship, but it meant I'd still have to hear never ending 85 Bears nostalgia.

Sad
05-19-2008, 10:22 AM
wouldn't bother me at all...
I'd rather see them win it than Boston or NY or LA or Cleveland or Minnesota
etc.

Law11
05-19-2008, 10:45 AM
It would be a pain but I'd be fine with it. Having experienced it first however does have its advantages. In all honesty I have some friends that are such hard core fans like I am for the Sox that I would love for them to feel what I felt in 05.

I never rubbed it in their faces specifically and although so many fans all in a sudden were Sox fans they called to congratulate me saying I hate the Sox but am really happy for you because you are a real sox fan not like these band wagon fans.

Their fans as a whole can be too much to deal with but bring it down to a more personal level and although I laughed so hard at the 03 collapse I could see how bad the disappointment hurt some real long time fans. Fans well before Corkey ever showed up.

But it wont matter because they will find someway, somehow to lose.

tony1972
05-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Actually since there are 30 teams...it should happen 2 or 3 times (about once every 30 years)....

The Cubs and Sox were exceptions in their suckiness for so long...:whiner:

downstairs
05-20-2008, 05:35 PM

Just like I dealt with the Yankees series wins. I didn't want them to win, but my team wasn't playing, so I got over it in a matter of minutes.

Who cares? If they win it, they diserve it.

In fact, if you're truly flubsessed... it may be a blessing in disguise. For a few years they'll be on the news every day... but once they start to suck again, they won't have a lot of the "mistique" of not winning a World Series in 100 years. They'll just be an everyday losing team.

TDog
05-21-2008, 12:13 AM
More to the point is the fact that the law of averages addresses Probability. Probability does not factor into sports because games are not random events. There are too many events during the course of a game/season which are not left to chance. Coin flipping, assuming both sides of the coin are of equal weight and the flipping technique is identical for each flip, is an example of the law of averages at work.

I was thinking the same thing.

Talking to Giants fans while riding public transportation in San Francisco this weekend, they were lamenting their lot. They came so close in 1962 and 2002, and in their 50th year by the Bay, it isn't going to happen this year. The Indians had a run, but didn't win the World Series. The Braves finished first, what, 15 straight years and only won the World Series once? I'm not sure the Cubs will win a World Series in my lifetime. With 16 teams in their league and with two rounds of playoffs to get to the World Series, it isn't a question of probability. If it were, the Cubs wouldn't have gone a century without a championship.

I'm not even sure the Sox will win another World Series in my lifetime.

Railsplitter
05-21-2008, 07:32 AM
As long as the Sox have more rings than the Cubs do, I won't mind. Especially since we hold the tiebreaker (head to head win)

WSox597
05-21-2008, 08:27 AM

This sounds like their regular season games too. Half the crowd in their park has no idea what they're watching.

Frontman
05-21-2008, 09:15 AM
We were first.

:shrug:

I honestly don't care as well. The race to bring a Series Championship to Chicago ended in 2005. The Cubs will always be a media darling team, no matter what the Sox do; so all I care about at the end is if the Sox make the playoffs/go on and win the series.

And even if the Cubs do win it eventually, whomever makes up that particular team will be hard pressed to impress me with their performance in comparison to how the White Sox went through the 2005 playoffs. That was just pure magic and I don't think we'll ever see something like that again.

moochpuppy
05-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Good for them. Once they win one maybe we can stop being exposed to "the lovable losers" which they would no longer be and baseball and the rest of the world could move on.

alohafri
05-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Good for them. Once they win one maybe we can stop being exposed to "the lovable losers" which they would no longer be and baseball and the rest of the world could move on.

They win, and the mystique ends.:bandance:

TDog
05-21-2008, 01:12 PM
This sounds like their regular season games too. Half the crowd in their park has no idea what they're watching.

Didn't Carl Everett say the percentage was much higher at ballparks in general?

whitesox901
05-21-2008, 01:14 PM
my dads a cubs fan, i guess they can win.....once this millenia

kittle42
05-21-2008, 01:16 PM
They win, and the mystique ends.:bandance:

I doubt it.

geraldfritz
05-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Well, if the Cubs do win the title this year, I am gonna stop watching baseball, because then I will think that it is all fixed. It is the same logic I had after the Red Sox, and us won it it consecutive years. If the Cubs would have won in 06, I would have stopped as well.

whitesox901
05-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Well, if the Cubs do win the title this year, I am gonna stop watching baseball, because then I will think that it is all fixed. It is the same logic I had after the Red Sox, and us won it it consecutive years. If the Cubs would have won in 06, I would have stopped as well.

What if theyre had been no bartman? And the Cubs beat New York and won it all?

03 - CUBS
04 - RED SOX
05 - WHITE SOX

if it was fixed, wouldnt they of won it 03', then end all the curses that were big, then who knows?

06 - Indians?
07 - Giants?

kittle42
05-21-2008, 02:44 PM
What if theyre had been no bartman?

Brutal.

TommyJohn
05-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Brutal.

Not half as brutal as the "it's all fixed" post.

kittle42
05-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Not half as brutal as the "it's all fixed" post.

He would have stopped watching baseball had the Cubs won in 2006. Wow. I guess subsequent seasons would have naturally had...Indians, Astros, Rockies, Rangers, Mariners, Nationals....

TDog
05-22-2008, 05:40 PM
What if theyre had been no bartman? And the Cubs beat New York and won it all?

03 - CUBS
04 - RED SOX
05 - WHITE SOX

if it was fixed, wouldnt they of won it 03', then end all the curses that were big, then who knows?

06 - Indians?
07 - Giants?

What if the Giants had won in 2002 when they were up 3-2 over the Angels in the World Series? The Giants have never won a World Series in San Francisco. In 2002, they came a lot closer than the Cubs did the following year.

If you want to apply the law of averages to baseball championships, it isn't the Cubs who have rarely finished above .500 in the last half century, who are due. Both the Giants and Indians made the postseason in 1997, but it was the Indans who lost the World Series in seven games to the team that beat the Giants in the NLDS.