PDA

View Full Version : Contreras Has A Sore Back

DickAllen72
05-18-2008, 01:29 AM
According to Cowley, Jose has a sore back and if there is no improvement by tomorrow, he may be moved back in the rotation. :(:

http://twitter.com/cst_sox/statuses/813997724

HangWiffum
05-18-2008, 02:03 AM
was only a matter of time with jose's age (whatever it is)

Mohoney
05-18-2008, 02:04 AM
Crap. Hopefully he slept on it wrong or something minor like that.

He's been great this year.

DickAllen72
05-18-2008, 02:10 AM
Crap. Hopefully he slept on it wrong or something minor like that.

He's been great this year.
Yeah, I just hope it's not that sciatica he had a couple of years ago--he was never the same since, although he has been looking pretty good recently.

We need the Bronze Titan!

gobears1987
05-18-2008, 04:08 AM
Worst case scenario is that Jose goes on the DL for 15 days and we have Broadway pitch a few games. The only bad thing is that I don't like having 3 really young and somewhat untested pitchers in the rotation. Plus, I'd hate to start the arbitration clock.

guillen4life13
05-18-2008, 04:23 AM
Yeah, I just hope it's not that sciatica he had a couple of years ago--he was never the same since, although he has been looking pretty good recently.

We need the Bronze Titan!

If I had to guess, this would be the issue. From experience, Sciatica is something that tends to flare up for a few days (up to two weeks) then goes away for months on end.

KyWhiSoxFan
05-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Worst case scenario is that Jose goes on the DL for 15 days and we have Broadway pitch a few games. The only bad thing is that I don't like having 3 really young and somewhat untested pitchers in the rotation. Plus, I'd hate to start the arbitration clock.

I would think that Masset gets the start. But I would not mind seeing Broadway. I'd like to see how he would follow up from his lone ML start last year vs. KC when he pitched so well.

turners56
05-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Oh that's just great, Jose's just starting to come around and now he has a sore back? Bummer. Hopefully, its nothing serious, but at his age, you'd never know.

rdwj
05-18-2008, 11:39 AM
We knew he couldn't stay healthy the WHOLE season. A few bumps in the road are to be expected and this one looks minor on the surface. Hopefully, the team treats him with kid-gloves and can hold him together for the majority of the season.

We've got some decent guys that can spot start - both in Masset and in the minors. With the way the rest of the staff is pitching, this isn't that big of a problem.

Thome and Paulie - THOSE are problems!

DoItForDanPasqua
05-18-2008, 12:15 PM
We've got some decent guys that can spot start - both in Masset and in the minors. With the way the rest of the staff is pitching, this isn't that big of a problem.

Sure, Masset can do the job; whom are these minor leaguers you speak of?

guillen4life13
05-18-2008, 12:17 PM

Broadway, Haeger and Russell, I'm guessing.

DoItForDanPasqua
05-18-2008, 12:19 PM

I was guessing that too, but I don't think any of them are ready to spot start against Sabathia. Cleveland does have a weak offense though.

oeo
05-18-2008, 01:20 PM

Russell has been moved to relieving duties.

JB98
05-18-2008, 01:21 PM

Haeger is horrible. I never want to see him with the Sox again. If we need to dip down to Charlotte for a starter, Broadway and Egbert are your choices.

sox1970
05-18-2008, 01:24 PM

Broadway would be brought up if Contreras went on the DL.

Wes Whisler is also having a good season.

Ohka and Haeger--not so much.

Egbert is just getting his season going. He needs to get some innings in before he'd be ready to come up.

JB98
05-18-2008, 01:31 PM

Egbert is just getting his season going. He needs to get some innings in before he'd be ready to come up.

Good point about Egbert. I'm pretty sure Broadway would get the nod if the Sox needed to call up a starter.

kittle42
05-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Haeger is horrible. I never want to see him with the Sox again.

Amen.

sox1970
05-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Contreras is ok according to Cowley. Will make the start on Tuesday.

KyWhiSoxFan
05-18-2008, 02:37 PM

Ohka is absolutely terrible. He is 0-7 with a 6.12 ERA.

Broadway is the only option if you go to the minors to get a spot starter: First, he is the best option because he's the best AAA starter in the system; second, he earned it from his lone start last year. He can't be bypassed.

jabrch
05-18-2008, 03:42 PM

Would they consider Massett and have someone brought up for the pen?

sox1970
05-18-2008, 03:45 PM

I doubt it. Broadway has been very good and is capable of pitching deep into a game, whereas Masset would only be able to go 4-5 innings.

Mohoney
05-18-2008, 07:19 PM

We can't move Masset out of the bullpen. The innings are piling up on Dotel and Linebrink already.

It would have to be Broadway.

thomas35forever
05-18-2008, 07:34 PM
I have no idea what to believe from Cowley anymore. Contreras better be all right because we're on a roll and I don't want them to stop now.

DickAllen72
05-18-2008, 07:45 PM
:bandance::bandance::bandance: :gulp:

LoveYourSuit
05-18-2008, 07:46 PM
with the day off, why not skip Contreras and Start Javy on normal rest vs CC on Tuesday?

he_gone_89
05-19-2008, 07:26 AM
Haeger is horrible. I never want to see him with the Sox again. If we need to dip down to Charlotte for a starter, Broadway and Egbert are your choices.
:haddock:
Amen.
:talktothehand:

Birst of Ball, Tomo Ohka isn't even in the org's 40-man, he is just AAA garbage who really doesnt deserve to wear SOX or KNIGHTS or Even WARTHOGS on his chest. Wes Whisler is having a good year,but he needs a bit more time in AAA before getting called up for a start, Reliever? yea he could come up, but he's good so we shouldnt rush him. Same with Egbert. Lance Broadway is going to be in this rotation soon, real soon. I hope by Sept. 1st that maybe he can take some starts off of guys hands (y'know, to rest up for the Playoffs). this leads me to Charlie. I'm sick of folks ripping on the Hagermeister. Ozzie and KW are screwing him up making him a Middle reliever when he does come up. Knuckleballers = Starting Pitchers and Long Relivers with Spot Starts. Haeger is a damn good pitcher and I would have put him over Gavin Floyd this season had Floyd not showed up like he has now. Personally, I think Gavin is having a fluke season (Dont get me wrong, I hope he keeps the success up this year and proves me wrong next year) but I just dont see it happening. Next year August 1st I see the rotation as Buerhle, Vazquez, Broadway, Haeger, Danks. But back to current matters, Haeger or Broadway should get the start if J-Co cant go, it depends on who pitched last/next turn in the rotation. I would choose #40 but we'll see.

delben91
05-19-2008, 07:30 AM
J-Co

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Droso5
05-19-2008, 09:35 AM
:haddock:

:talktothehand:

Birst of Ball, Tomo Ohka isn't even in the org's 40-man, he is just AAA garbage who really doesnt deserve to wear SOX or KNIGHTS or Even WARTHOGS on his chest. Wes Whisler is having a good year,but he needs a bit more time in AAA before getting called up for a start, Reliever? yea he could come up, but he's good so we shouldnt rush him. Same with Egbert. Lance Broadway is going to be in this rotation soon, real soon. I hope by Sept. 1st that maybe he can take some starts off of guys hands (y'know, to rest up for the Playoffs). this leads me to Charlie. I'm sick of folks ripping on the Hagermeister. Ozzie and KW are screwing him up making him a Middle reliever when he does come up. Knuckleballers = Starting Pitchers and Long Relivers with Spot Starts. Haeger is a damn good pitcher and I would have put him over Gavin Floyd this season had Floyd not showed up like he has now. Personally, I think Gavin is having a fluke season (Dont get me wrong, I hope he keeps the success up this year and proves me wrong next year) but I just dont see it happening. Next year August 1st I see the rotation as Buerhle, Vazquez, Broadway, Haeger, Danks. But back to current matters, Haeger or Broadway should get the start if J-Co cant go, it depends on who pitched last/next turn in the rotation. I would choose #40 but we'll see.

:scratch:Haeger in the starting rotation next August? Does anyone on here even think he will get enough of a chance to prove himself.....again? I don't think he is as god-awful as some on here believe, but there is little chance he makes the starting rotation next year, even if Floyd turns out to be little more than fools gold.

kittle42
05-19-2008, 11:38 AM
:scratch:Haeger in the starting rotation next August? Does anyone on here even think he will get enough of a chance to prove himself.....again? I don't think he is as god-awful as some on here believe, but there is little chance he makes the starting rotation next year, even if Floyd turns out to be little more than fools gold.

http://minors.baseball-reference.com/players.cgi?pid=21366

He's really lighting it up down there.

Charlie Haeger stinks - no one here would care any more about him than, say, Dewon Day, if Haeger wasn't a gimmick pitcher. He'd need a lot of turning around to make any major league roster right now, and if he's in this rotation next year, I give up.

RockyMtnSoxFan
05-20-2008, 12:20 PM
So does anybody know any news about Contreras? The game previews on mlb.com and espn.com don't say anything about his sore back, but they say that he's starting. Is the soreness gone?

TomBradley72
05-20-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm sick of folks ripping on the Hagermeister. Ozzie and KW are screwing him up making him a Middle reliever when he does come up. Knuckleballers = Starting Pitchers and Long Relivers with Spot Starts. Haeger is a damn good pitcher and I would have put him over Gavin Floyd this season had Floyd not showed up like he has now. Personally, I think Gavin is having a fluke season (Dont get me wrong, I hope he keeps the success up this year and proves me wrong next year) but I just dont see it happening. Next year August 1st I see the rotation as Buerhle, Vazquez, Broadway, Haeger, Danks. But back to current matters, Haeger or Broadway should get the start if J-Co cant go, it depends on who pitched last/next turn in the rotation. I would choose #40 but we'll see.

Haeger over Floyd? Complete insanity.

Ozzie/KW are not to blame for his 7.15 ERA last year, or his mediocre results at AAA (3-4,5.37 this year, 5-16,4.08 last year). Every time a young player struggles (see endless BA debates) it is not the fault of Ozzie/KW. Buehrle handled being in a relief role, they've done a great job handling Jenks, Danks, Masset and Floyd. Thornton has pitched better here than anywhere else.

Haeger might be a 12th man eventually, MAYBE a 5th starter...but not on a contender.

btrain929
05-20-2008, 12:58 PM
So does anybody know any news about Contreras? The game previews on mlb.com and espn.com don't say anything about his sore back, but they say that he's starting. Is the soreness gone?

I think I read somewhere that he said on Sunday that his back was feeling waaaaaaay better. So that coupled with the day off on Monday should have him good to go.

Ultimately, we'll see tonight....

drillrod
05-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Isn't Cowley the same guy that violated clubhouse etiquette by going forward with a story about the blow-up dolls.....I don't find him the most trustworthy guy with the players right now.....so I am less than confident with his "inside" information disclosures....

doublem23
05-20-2008, 01:37 PM
Isn't Cowley the same guy that violated clubhouse etiquette by going forward with a story about the blow-up dolls.....I don't find him the most trustworthy guy with the players right now.....so I am less than confident with his "inside" information disclosures....

No, that story was originally reported by Canadian sports reporters.

sox1970
05-20-2008, 01:43 PM
No, that story was originally reported by Canadian sports reporters.

Unless you count Dan Roan talking about it with Joe Cowley and Mark Gonzalez on the pregame show in Toronto the day it happened.