PeteWard
05-18-2008, 12:05 AM
White Sox pitching is amazing these days

gobears1987
05-18-2008, 12:05 AM
It feels great!!!

JB98
05-18-2008, 12:06 AM
As I said last night, thank goodness we have good pitching this year.

Really, a very similar game to last night. Let's do it one more time tomorrow.

The Immigrant
05-18-2008, 12:07 AM
That's four wins in a row, with two of the last three coming without a single HR. The pitching has been outstanding.

itsnotrequired
05-18-2008, 12:08 AM
No matter what happens tomorrow, the Sox have a winning West Coast road trip.

Solid.

sox1970
05-18-2008, 12:08 AM
They won't be satisfied tomorrow. A sweep is needed.

JB98
05-18-2008, 12:10 AM
No matter what happens tomorrow, the Sox have a winning West Coast road trip.

Solid.

When the Sox left home, they were one game out in the division. Right now, they lead by a half game.

My hope going into the trip was that the Sox would hold their ground in the standings. Even if they lose tomorrow, they will have accomplished that.

I'll take it.

PeteWard
Combined with some late inning collapses by Minn. and Cleveland, it makes for a beautiful night.

itsnotrequired
That's four wins in a row, with two of the last three coming without a single HR. The pitching has been outstanding.

Not even counting tonight, Sox pitching has put up a 1.29 ERA and a .225 BAA over the last four games. 9 BB and 26 K. Throw in tonight and those numbers are even better.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-18-2008, 12:11 AM
As I said last night, thank goodness we have good pitching this year.

Really, a very similar game to last night. Let's do it one more time tomorrow.

But with more runs and fewer LOB. Nice to see Mark get a win finally. A winning west coast road trip, what a treat. Nice to be back in first by ourselves. Thank you Rockies and Reds!

Mohoney
05-18-2008, 12:12 AM
With a day off Monday, I would like to see the same lineup again tomorrow, except with AJ catching. I thought Ozuna and Ramirez did perfectly fine at their positions tonight turning those double plays, and both guys could definitely use the at-bats.

Give Crede and Uribe an extra game off and then reassess the situation on Tuesday.

The Giants definitely have a lineup that can bust a struggling pitcher out of a slump, and kudos to Buehrle for putting together a very good outing. He got us into the 7th with a lead, and Dotel totally depantsed Randy Winn for the final out in the 7th. Then it was Linebrink and Jenks, which essentially means game over.

That said, this offense is still pathetic. Barry Zito was BEGGING us to turn this into a laugher, and we couldn't do it.

FedEx227
05-18-2008, 12:12 AM
Not even counting tonight, Sox pitching has put up a 1.29 ERA and a .225 BAA over the last four games. 9 BB and 26 K. Throw in tonight and those numbers are even better.

Really makes you wonder how nice this team would be if we had maybe a few of our hitters hitting their career numbers.

PeteWard
05-18-2008, 12:14 AM
I think the offense will get at least 5 tomorrow.

If MB can keep it going, this team looks very solid even if the offense stays mediocre.

itsnotrequired
05-18-2008, 12:15 AM
Really makes you wonder how nice this team would be if we had maybe a few of our hitters hitting their career numbers.

Let's not get too hasty. The five games previous, Sox pitching had a 5.52 ERA with a .303 BAA.

Mohoney
05-18-2008, 12:16 AM
Let's not get too hasty. The five games previous, Sox pitching had a 5.52 ERA with a .303 BAA.

That game where the Angels scored 10 skews that a great deal.

BadBobbyJenks
05-18-2008, 12:18 AM

3.57 era for the season
I dont think its too hasty to wonder where the sox would be with a consistent offense this year.

itsnotrequired
05-18-2008, 12:18 AM
That game where the Angels scored 10 skews that a great deal.

Dang, I missed that one but did throw in the 13 run Twins game. Over those six, 5.71 ERA with a .316 BAA.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-18-2008, 12:19 AM
Just heard Buehrle got a hit. :D:

Tragg
05-18-2008, 12:19 AM
A win tomorrow puts us at 7-3 on the roadtrip, which is particularly nice. No reason not to sweep this team.

The middle infield quartet is now hitting to a tune of .256 OBP with 17 extra base hits in 391 plate appearances.
There's no reason at all to put up with that that long term, although I know it will take some major arm-twisting to get even Richar back up here to replace one of them when he's healthy.

The Immigrant
05-18-2008, 12:20 AM

He smoked it. Nice little compact swing...

itsnotrequired
05-18-2008, 12:21 AM
3.57 era for the season
I dont think its too hasty to wonder where the sox would be with a consistent offense this year.

Oh, no doubt but even if the bats were studs last week, the pitching wasn't there. That being said, the staff as a whole has been great this year.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-18-2008, 12:22 AM

And he was my pick to click. :wooty:

Thome25
05-18-2008, 12:23 AM
No complaints here!! Way to go pitching staff!! Way to go offense!! Way to Go KW!! Way to go coaching staff!! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

voodoochile
05-18-2008, 12:24 AM
Would like to see more runs with all these baserunners, but so long as the pitching remains solid and the defense turns two when needed, the Sox will be in the race.

2 games over 1/2 up...

:winner

:twinslose

:indianslose
:)

:supernana:

Woofer
05-18-2008, 12:28 AM
Getting back into first feels great, though I hope the offense can get more dependable. This ongoing 4 game win streak has brought me off the ledge, although I feel very sleep deprived from this long roadtrip. I've been up late every night since the start of the Seattle trip. Yawn....ZZZZZZZZ

sox1970
05-18-2008, 12:31 AM
The starters in the last 5 games:

5 quality starts. 3-0 with a 1.10 ERA

PeteWard
05-18-2008, 12:35 AM
They won't be satisfied tomorrow. A sweep is needed.

I'm with you though I would gladly trade tomorrow's game for a sweep against the next opponent.

Mohoney
05-18-2008, 12:36 AM
The starters in the last 5 games:

5 quality starts. 3-0 with a 1.10 ERA

There it is in a nutshell. The fact that they needed the bullpen to win one of those, and actually LOST the other one, makes me want to puke.

I can even understand the complete absence of 2 out hits, but AT LEAST give me the runner from 3rd with less than 2 out.

If you completely suck all year at BOTH, you have no chance.

sox1970
05-18-2008, 12:39 AM
I'm with you though I would gladly trade tomorrow's game for a sweep against the next opponent.

Oh, of course.

The next ten games are huge. 5-5 would be just fine, as long as the Sox get a few from Cleveland.

sox1970
05-18-2008, 12:44 AM
There it is in a nutshell. The fact that they needed the bullpen to win one of those, and actually LOST the other one, makes me want to puke.

I can even understand the complete absence of 2 out hits, but AT LEAST give me the runner from 3rd with less than 2 out.

Yeah, it's troubling. It's bad the Sox didn't score 15 runs over the last two nights.

Still, I'll take the wins.

If they don't come around offensively eventually, then they just aren't good enough. If it goes all year, then it's not just a fluke. Two years can't be a fluke. So we'll see. It's going to be interesting to see the standings on July 1st.

UofCSoxFan
05-18-2008, 12:55 AM
Not to sound like a pollyana but at least we are getting runners on base to strand. I think this team is showing signs of coming out of its offensive slump since we are getting a lot of baserunnners. The runs will come from that. I'm feeling a lot better about a team that strands 13 guys (or whatever it was) and scores 3 runs than a team that scores 3 runs and strands only 2 or 3, if that makes sense.

voodoochile
05-18-2008, 12:58 AM
Not to sound like a pollyana but at least we are getting runners on base to strand. I think this team is showing signs of coming out of its offensive slump since we are getting a lot of baserunnners. The runs will come from that. I'm feeling a lot better about a team that strands 13 guys (or whatever it was) and scores 3 runs than a team that scores 3 runs and strands only 2 or 3, if that makes sense.

I agree and given our lack of success with RISP, it is far better to have lots of chances than to only have a few.

Given Thome's struggles, PK's hand issues, the black hole that 2B has been all year and off years for Swish and OC, it's not hard to see why the Sox aren't scoring in bunches, but if they continue to put men on eventually things will start to go their way.

Madscout
05-18-2008, 01:14 AM
That depends on how each looks, IMO. If we score 3, and leave 2 or 3, that means we are taking advantage of our chances well. You might score three and leave 13, but that basically means that you have had 16 on base all night. You aren't going to get 16 on base every night, and if it takes that many chances to get three across, you won't be scoring 3 in too many games.

Still, it is nice to see us consistantly getting to 9 or 10 hits in one night on this road trip.

jabrch
05-18-2008, 01:42 AM
There is still absolutely no reason to believe this team won't compete all year. Look at how many home games we have played this season - and how many we have left (more remaining than anyone in the division by a large margin).

I hope our fans show up in force this week to welcome the troops home - victorious. After the reception they got last time they came home, they deserve a huge standing O on Tuesday.

chisoxfanatic
05-18-2008, 01:53 AM
Glad to see Toby Hall get a few hits! Ramirez looks solid, and it's nice that Buehrle was able to eke out a win finally! Maybe he'll have the monkey off his back and get back to his "regularly-scheduled programming."

Hopefully Danks can complete the sweep!

Mohoney
05-18-2008, 02:03 AM
Hopefully Danks can complete the sweep!

Big game for him tomorrow. He has been dominating the arm side of the plate all year, and this lineup isn't exactly competent enough with the bat to hit the ball the other way with authority.

It's a nice lineup for him to pitch against going for a sweep. In fact, I almost expect it now, unless our bats sleepwalk yet again against Matt Cain.

fquaye149
05-18-2008, 02:15 AM
@ the original post: Even Burly's pitching well!:o:

:redneck

fquaye149
05-18-2008, 02:18 AM
There is still absolutely no reason to believe this team won't compete all year. Look at how many home games we have played this season - and how many we have left (more remaining than anyone in the division by a large margin).

I hope our fans show up in force this week to welcome the troops home - victorious. After the reception they got last time they came home, they deserve a huge standing O on Tuesday.

Easy there Marvin. This was a great game, a great pitching performance by a great White Sox pitcher, but let's be realistic about life here :?:

manders_01
05-18-2008, 02:40 AM
So all I can think while I'm at the Rockies game...if the White Sox win and the Rockies win, if the White Sox win and the Rockies win...WOO-HOO!!! :D:

I am lovin what the Sox are doin right now! :bandance:

PeteWard
05-18-2008, 02:42 AM

:rolleyes: Christ! And this after a win.

Palehose Pete
05-18-2008, 03:50 AM
uote: Originally Posted by Mohoney http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1894977#post1894977)

:rolleyes: Christ! And this after a win.

Yeah, no kidding. Sometimes it's OK to enjoy being in first place.

Frater Perdurabo
05-18-2008, 08:01 AM
I am extremely pleased that the Sox are in first place.

The starting pitching has been magnificent.

It's great to win on the road, especially on the West Coast.

The defense generally has been good.

Dye had a great night at the plate and in the field.

Paulie had a nice opposite field RBI single.

The Sox didn't swing at too many bad pitches and took the free passes.

The one negative has been the lack of hitting with runners in scoring position, especially with less than two outs. Ever heard of a sac fly?

Greg Walker needs to find his own way back from this trip.

itsnotrequired
05-18-2008, 09:04 AM
The one negative has been the lack of hitting with runners in scoring position, especially with less than two outs. Ever heard of a sac fly?

The Sox hit 4 sac flies on this trip. Before the trip, they had hit 5 all season long. The team as a whole hit .281/.364/.405 with 38 walks (average of more than 4 a game).

Cuck the Fubs
05-18-2008, 09:10 AM
Let's get the sweep today boys!:bandance:

roylestillman
05-18-2008, 09:27 AM

Choking uo about a foot and a half does wonders.

More importantly - how about Burls' bunt. I swear I haven't seen one that good all year.

Zisk77
05-18-2008, 09:59 AM
I am extremely pleased that the Sox are in first place.

The starting pitching has been magnificent.

It's great to win on the road, especially on the West Coast.

The defense generally has been good.

Dye had a great night at the plate and in the field.

Paulie had a nice opposite field RBI single.

The Sox didn't swing at too many bad pitches and took the free passes.

Every time the Sox had an opportunity to score on a Sac fly last night they did.

Yes it was disappointing we couldn't get a 2 -out hit with all those runners on base. Hawk's frustration with this was a little overblown considering that not once did we fail to score a runner from 3rd with less than 2-outs which had been are M.O.

soxfanreggie
05-18-2008, 10:09 AM
I know what it's like to work with a team who can't seem to get a 2-out hit and then the other teams seems like it always does...very frustrating.

However, we got the win with MB pitching a solid game, and that's all the matters.

Tragg
05-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Easy there Marvin. This was a great game, a great pitching performance by a great White Sox pitcher, but let's be realistic about life here :?:
I think it's likely that we'll compete to the end. No one is that great in this division. The pitching can't stay at this level, but neither can the offense: some of the slumps AREN'T permanent and eventually even Ozzie will do something about this ridiculously bad hitting middle infield.
I doubt anyone wins much more than 90 games in the division. We won't run away, but we should stay in it.

turners56
05-18-2008, 10:41 AM
How about Mark Buehrle's long single? I was lolin' at that. Buehrle had a really good day at the plate, he got down a nice bunt and hit what should of been a double, very impressive.

On the other hand, the Sox clutch hitting wasn't real impressive. Outside of Konerko's single to score Dye, the entire offense never got anything done with runners in scoring position, besides the sac flies. The sac fly Quentin hit might of been a homer at the Cell. But you know, sacrifice flies are better than not scoring at all.

It was also great to see Buehrle pitch a solid game. He got a whole lot of help from Ozuna, hopefully, his confidence goes up from now on and he can finally locate his pitches.

fquaye149
05-18-2008, 10:47 AM
I think it's likely that we'll compete to the end. No one is that great in this division. The pitching can't stay at this level, but neither can the offense: some of the slumps AREN'T permanent and eventually even Ozzie will do something about this ridiculously bad hitting middle infield.
I doubt anyone wins much more than 90 games in the division. We won't run away, but we should stay in it.

We'll see. We're having a LOT of trouble scoring runs. I think it's fair to say if you're the kind of guy who bitches people out for getting too pessimistic after a loss, it's pretty ridiculous to say "we're going to compete all year!!!" after a few road wins against mediocre to lousy teams

voodoochile
05-18-2008, 10:59 AM

What's unrealistic about that statement? Is some other team running away with the division? Are the Sox playing as well as they can?

voodoochile
05-18-2008, 11:03 AM
We'll see. We're having a LOT of trouble scoring runs. I think it's fair to say if you're the kind of guy who bitches people out for getting too pessimistic after a loss, it's pretty ridiculous to say "we're going to compete all year!!!" after a few road wins against mediocre to lousy teams

The Angels are a mediocre to lousy team?

fquaye149
05-18-2008, 11:04 AM
What's unrealistic about that statement? Is some other team running away with the division? Are the Sox playing as well as they can?

What's unrealistic about saying "there's absolutely no reason to believe this team won't compete all year"?

It's just plain silly. There are plenty of reasons to believe this team won't compete all year, and winning two games by 2 runs over SF doesn't really change any of that.

I'm not saying the team won't compete all year (I actually suspect they will), but with an embarrassing offense and suspect middle relief and an Indians team starting to play like we expected them to at the beginning of the season, yes, Voodoo, there are absolutely some reasons to suspect the White Sox won't compete all year.

That comment was as silly as saying "there's absolutely no reason to believe these White Sox will ever compete this year" after a loss :rolleyes:

fquaye149
05-18-2008, 11:05 AM
The Angels are a mediocre to lousy team?

yes. They would fall into the mediocre category.

The Giants would fall into the lousy category.

cws05champ
05-18-2008, 11:11 AM

WOW! Are you serious? The Angels are one of the best teams in the AL and are generally picked as one of the teams to compete for the World Series.

turners56
05-18-2008, 11:11 AM
What's unrealistic about saying "there's absolutely no reason to believe this team won't compete all year"?

It's just plain silly. There are plenty of reasons to believe this team won't compete all year, and winning two games by 2 runs over SF doesn't really change any of that.

I'm not saying the team won't compete all year (I actually suspect they will), but with an embarrassing offense and suspect middle relief and an Indians team starting to play like we expected them to at the beginning of the season, yes, Voodoo, there are absolutely some reasons to suspect the White Sox won't compete all year.

That comment was as silly as saying "there's absolutely no reason to believe these White Sox will ever compete this year" after a loss :rolleyes:

It's not like they're going to play like this all year dude. I know scoring 4 runs against the Giants is terrible, but the Giants have only scored 1! You have so many guys slumping right now, the only three guys who are hitting are Dye, Quentin, and Pierzynski. Everybody else but Crede is hovering near .200. That's not going to happen for the entire season. Even veterans last year hit around .250. BTW, the Indians are the worst hitting team in the Majors right now at .235, so they're nowhere near playing well. Right now, let the pitching carry the team, the offense will eventually find it, even if the Sox offense has a season like last year, Swisher, Cabrera, Thome, and Konerko won't all end up hitting .210. We've seen this offense produce as recent as a week ago, what's with all the doubt? The hits are coming, and sooner or later somebody has to get a hit with RISP. I don't think our wins looked pretty in '05, did you have the same doubt then?

voodoochile
05-18-2008, 11:12 AM

I see so it's more of a nitpicking thing. You see "some" reasons/things that could happen that would lead to the Sox not being able to compete this season. It's still a possibility, so let's not get ahead of ourselves...

Got it...

turners56
05-18-2008, 11:13 AM

The Angels are 25-20, they can hit with 2 outs, they have a lot of depth and a lot of young talent. They have a great rotation. They have a very good bullpen. How in the world are they mediocre?

sox1970
05-18-2008, 11:16 AM
The AL is a sea of mediocrity right now. Partly because some teams like the Rangers, Orioles, A's, Royals and Rays are playing a lot better than expected.

We'll see if the cream rises by the All Star Break.

voodoochile
05-18-2008, 11:21 AM
The AL is a sea of mediocrity right now. Partly because some teams like the Rangers, Orioles, A's, Royals and Rays are playing a lot better than expected.

We'll see if the cream rises by the All Star Break.

The AL actually has a lower ERA than the NL at present and the top 3 teams and 5 of the top 7 teams for ERA are all from the AL.

It's a topsy turvy world...

jabrch
05-18-2008, 11:37 AM

It's amazing what choking up does in terms of helping a hitter to do a specific task - make contact to pick up a run.

Hitmen77
05-18-2008, 11:53 AM

His single hit the RF wall on a fly. Not bad.

...and Mark had a perfectly executed sac bunt too!

fquaye149
05-18-2008, 12:00 PM
It's not like they're going to play like this all year dude. I know scoring 4 runs against the Giants is terrible, but the Giants have only scored 1! You have so many guys slumping right now, the only three guys who are hitting are Dye, Quentin, and Pierzynski. Everybody else but Crede is hovering near .200. That's not going to happen for the entire season. Even veterans last year hit around .250. BTW, the Indians are the worst hitting team in the Majors right now at .235, so they're nowhere near playing well. Right now, let the pitching carry the team, the offense will eventually find it, even if the Sox offense has a season like last year, Swisher, Cabrera, Thome, and Konerko won't all end up hitting .210. We've seen this offense produce as recent as a week ago, what's with all the doubt? The hits are coming, and sooner or later somebody has to get a hit with RISP. I don't think our wins looked pretty in '05, did you have the same doubt then?

Why do you say that? They might play like this all year or they might not.

We've seen plenty of examples of "they're not going to play like this all year" turn into "oops I guess they played like this all year" in the past 2 years.

1.) 2006 "they're not going to keep pitching like this all year!"
2.) 2007 "they're not going to keep hitting or pitching like this all year!"

fquaye149
05-18-2008, 12:02 PM
I see so it's more of a nitpicking thing. You see "some" reasons/things that could happen that would lead to the Sox not being able to compete this season. It's still a possibility, so let's not get ahead of ourselves...

Got it...

It's more a "don't say 'there's no reason we won't compete all year long' because that's a ridiculous thing to say" kind of thing :shrug:

This team's hitting looks awful. It's pitching looks great. That's not a combination that should inspire unchecked optimism.

Hitmen77
05-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Yeah, it's troubling. It's bad the Sox didn't score 15 runs over the last two nights.

Still, I'll take the wins.

If they don't come around offensively eventually, then they just aren't good enough. If it goes all year, then it's not just a fluke. Two years can't be a fluke. So we'll see. It's going to be interesting to see the standings on July 1st.

I agree.

If they can come around offensively, then it'll be an exciting summer. If not, then maybe they're just not good enough. They'd have 2 years to come around. Last year can be excused because we got to the point where the Sox had Cintron, Andy Gonzalez, and Terrero in the lineup.

IMO we just need veteran players to hit around their career averages and we could very easily be in this race to the end with the pitching we've been getting. I know we have a slow team, etc. But, I honestly believe that, despite those shortcomings, if Thome, Konerko, Cabrera, and Swisher can just hit and get on base at their career norms - then we should be just fine.

If on the other hand, Thome is washed up and Konerko and Cabrera are going to spend most of the season sputtering - then we're nothing more than a .500 team.

Tragg
05-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Well he's been dogging fans for at least as long as I've noticed his posts. I dog Ozzie's lineups and love affair with bad slap hitting.

You're right about the hitting. And as someone else said, we had baseball's worst offense in 2007, so perhaps this isnt a slump. I don't understand why they don't try anything really new. Keep Ramirez in the lineup for a while (might happen); play Anderson several times a week - No chance (as challenged as his O his, he hits a lot better than the any of the middle infield quartet, including Ozzie's leadoff hitter). Both Anderson and Ramirez won a game on this road trip with their bat. Who else this side of TCQ can say that?
Other teams play their young talent; the Sox prefer the low-ceiling mediocre veteran. And in case anyone's looking, Ryan Sweeney sports a .361 OBP playing CF for Oakland - what was one of our top outfield prospects was sent to the scrapheap after 50 major league at bats; this coaching staff wants "aggressive" hitters like Owens.

Bucky F. Dent
05-18-2008, 12:30 PM
I loved the fact that we really worked Zito deep into counts. Reminds me of the early season outings.

We really need to work on converting our baserunners into runs.

The LOB number was a monster last night.

That said, we've got a plus five hundred western road trip.

Let's close it out with a :sweep

delben91
05-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Other teams play their young talent; the Sox prefer the low-ceiling mediocre veteran.

What about Danks, Floyd, Quentin, Logan (to an extent)? They aren't young talent?

They could've gone and gotten the Bartolo Colons or Sidney Ponsons of the world to fill out the rotation but didn't.

Should they let Richar and Fields sit on the DL at the ML level rather than in Charlotte?

Bigfoot38
05-18-2008, 12:54 PM
They played on the warmer west California coast, weather is getting warmer in Chicago. Let's see how the Sox hit over their next 10 if they have warm weather.

I'm pretty sure that we have not had back to back homegames with nice weather.

BIG BIG BIG 6 games coming vs CLE and LAA

jabrch
05-18-2008, 01:20 PM
What about Danks, Floyd, Quentin, Logan (to an extent)? They aren't young talent?

They could've gone and gotten the Bartolo Colons or Sidney Ponsons of the world to fill out the rotation but didn't.

Should they let Richar and Fields sit on the DL at the ML level rather than in Charlotte?

Stop bringing your reality crap into what was otherwise a nice little bitchfest about how terrible this first place team is.

Most of the people complaining are also the same ones who hated signing Linebrink and Dotel - and who were crapping all over them (mostly Dotel) after an insanely small sample size.

This is as good or better a team as any in this division. For all the noise about how bad we were supposed to be going into the season, and for all the senseless panic the past few weeks, I like how things look if the bats just come close to their 3 year averages... (which we have every reason to expect)

JB98
05-18-2008, 01:29 PM
WOW! Are you serious? The Angels are one of the best teams in the AL and are generally picked as one of the teams to compete for the World Series.

I agree. The Angels are one of the best clubs in the AL. Right now, they aren't healthy. No Figgins, Kendrick or Escobar. And Lackey is just getting back into the rotation.

I think the Sox caught them at a pretty good time. It would have been nice to take three of four. The Sox gave away the first game in that series. Still, Anaheim has traditionally been a rough place for the Sox, so I wasn't too disappointed with the series split.

asindc
05-18-2008, 01:32 PM

More importantly - how about Burls' bunt. I swear I haven't seen one that good all year.

I shouted when he put that down, "Now why can't our everyday players place a bunt that well?" :angry: Buehrle has to bunt, what maybe 5-6 times a year at the most? I've been frustrated most by the lack of ability to perform this simple task. We will leave too many potential runs off the scoreboard because the everyday guys can't/don't/won't bunt. OK, rant done.:smile:

Loved watching this game. Clutch hitting, sac flies, good defense by bench players, clutch BP pitching, and a win by Buehrle at last (he is on my fantasy team). Let's get the sweep done and then bear down on the division rivals.

turners56
05-18-2008, 01:41 PM
Why do you say that? They might play like this all year or they might not.

We've seen plenty of examples of "they're not going to play like this all year" turn into "oops I guess they played like this all year" in the past 2 years.

1.) 2006 "they're not going to keep pitching like this all year!"
2.) 2007 "they're not going to keep hitting or pitching like this all year!"

Read my examples I put up. Konerko hit .259 last year. Thome hit .276. Swisher hit .262 in freaking Oakland. Cabrera hit .301. Right now all those guys are hitting somewhere near .200, meaning that sometime or later they will be within at least 5-10 points in the ranges I just mentioned. Basically, if Konerko and Thome are worse than what they are now, this offense would be pretty much worse than 2007. Which is not the case, because the White Sox are not dead last in runs right now, they're not even dead last in batting average. You're saying Cleveland is starting to play better. Why? The same reason why we're winning games, pitching. If we keep on pitching like this and squeeze wins through, I can care less. Who cares? A win is a win. Every team has its hot and cold streak, right now the team is basically on a cold streak with only three guys hitting the ball well. Stop being so damn critical in a roadtrip where the Sox have historically, never won. Just like the Bulls, the west coast trip early in the season is the definition of sports hell. However, they're going to come out of this trip at least 6-4! And you're complaining that the team looks like complete crap? It's not like they're losing, they're WINNING. They're hitting too, they had 12 hits last night and 3 runs did the job. There's no difference between a 2 run win and a 6 run win, it's still a win. When we go back home on Tuesday, take a look at just how "great" Cleveland is hitting, you'd be glad the Sox offense isn't that bad.

asindc
05-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Read my examples I put up. Konerko hit .259 last year. Thome hit .276. Swisher hit .262 in freaking Oakland. Cabrera hit .301. Right now all those guys are hitting somewhere near .200, meaning that sometime or later they will be within at least 5-10 points in the ranges I just mentioned. Basically, if Konerko and Thome are worse than what they are now, this offense would be pretty much worse than 2007. Which is not the case, because the White Sox are not dead last in runs right now, they're not even dead last in batting average. You're saying Cleveland is starting to play better. Why? The same reason why we're winning games, pitching. If we keep on pitching like this and squeeze wins through, I can care less. Who cares? A win is a win. Every team has its hot and cold streak, right now the team is basically on a cold streak with only three guys hitting the ball well. Stop being so damn critical in a roadtrip where the Sox have historically, never won. Just like the Bulls, the west coast trip early in the season is the definition of sports hell. However, they're going to come out of this trip at least 6-4! And you're complaining that the team looks like complete crap? It's not like they're losing, they're WINNING. They're hitting too, they had 12 hits last night and 3 runs did the job. There's no difference between a 2 run win and a 6 run win, it's still a win. When we go back home on Tuesday, take a look at just how "great" Cleveland is hitting, you'd be glad the Sox offense isn't that bad.

What he said.

fquaye149
05-18-2008, 01:51 PM
Stop bringing your reality crap into what was otherwise a nice little bitchfest about how terrible this first place team is.

Most of the people complaining are also the same ones who hated signing Linebrink and Dotel - and who were crapping all over them (mostly Dotel) after an insanely small sample size.

This is as good or better a team as any in this division. For all the noise about how bad we were supposed to be going into the season, and for all the senseless panic the past few weeks, I like how things look if the bats just come close to their 3 year averages... (which we have every reason to expect)

Yes. You're right. This is a bitchfest. Anyone who doesn't agree 100% "there's absolutely no reason to think this team won't compete all year" is just bitching. If only we could all be as intelligent of fans!

fquaye149
05-18-2008, 01:55 PM

You're right. It seems like these players should be hitting better than they are.

But they're not. And just because they have in the past doesn't mean they will.

Paulie's not getting any younger AND he has been known to disappear for months at a time even in his prime (2003 anyone?).

Has Thome shown much sign of life at the plate? It's not just that he's hitting poorly, he LOOKS lost up there. He's had health problems and he's the oldest member of this team. It's no guarantee he'll return to his 2007 numbers.

I don't know *** is going on with Swisher, but the fact is he's not hitting well. Yes his career numbers are high, and he probably should return to them, but that doesn't mean he will.

Cabrera? If you expected him to hit .300 this year you probably had the wrong expectations. However, no one anticipate he be this bad.

Yes, it SEEMS like we'll probably start hitting. But in 2006 it SEEMED LIKE we would probably start pitching better. And in 2007 it SEEMED LIKE we would probably start hitting AND pitchign better.

But it never happened. You can't assume players will put up their average numbers because, as people like Jabrch are so quick to point out (though only when it fits the particular argument he's making): the game isn't played on paper. I'm not saying we should do anything drastic, but waiting around for players to normalize doesn't always work out

As for Cleveland, surely you see the difference between Sabathia and Carmona and Cliff Lee (established pitchers, or at least pitchers who have had prolonged success in the past) having ace quality starts and Gavin Floyd and John Danks posting ERA's at or below 3.00. Now, granted, just because Floyd and Danks have never done it before doesn't mean they can't keep it up all season...and in fact I'm very high on Floyd and Danks--especially Danks, whose strikeouts and control have been very impressive--I'm just saying that we're standing on very shaky ground as it is.

I hope we keep winning, and suspect we will, as long as our excellent pitching keeps up, but if you look at a game like last night or the night before, all it would have taken would be one bad inning, and we would be in a hole we couldn't climb out of. I don't expect this team to score more than 3 runs any given night, but as long as our pitching is flawless, we'll be fine. As long as our pitching is flawless :shrug:

voodoochile
05-18-2008, 02:01 PM
At least the hitting has been showing signs of life these past few weeks. PK is up big since the end of April as is Cabrera. The last week Swish has been more consistent at the plate, getting some hits and continuing to draw walks.

The Sox have had double digit hits 7 out of the last 10 games, so while the runs aren't jumping dramatically, there are signs the team is waking up offensively.

fquaye149
05-18-2008, 02:02 PM
At least the hitting has been showing signs of life these past few weeks. PK is up big since the end of April as is Cabrera. The last week Swish has been more consistent at the plate, getting some hits and continuing to draw walks.

The Sox have had double digit hits 7 out of the last 10 games, so while the runs aren't jumping dramatically, there are signs the team is waking up offensively.

At least we're putting runs on the board, that's for sure.

I guess the blow up dolls helped!:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Chicken Dinner
05-18-2008, 02:08 PM
A sweep today would put a cherry on top of this road trip. :popcorn:

turners56
05-18-2008, 02:10 PM
You're right. It seems like these players should be hitting better than they are.

But they're not. And just because they have in the past doesn't mean they will.

Paulie's not getting any younger AND he has been known to disappear for months at a time even in his prime (2003 anyone?).

Has Thome shown much sign of life at the plate? It's not just that he's hitting poorly, he LOOKS lost up there. He's had health problems and he's the oldest member of this team. It's no guarantee he'll return to his 2007 numbers.

I don't know *** is going on with Swisher, but the fact is he's not hitting well. Yes his career numbers are high, and he probably should return to them, but that doesn't mean he will.

Cabrera? If you expected him to hit .300 this year you probably had the wrong expectations. However, no one anticipate he be this bad.

Yes, it SEEMS like we'll probably start hitting. But in 2006 it SEEMED LIKE we would probably start pitching better. And in 2007 it SEEMED LIKE we would probably start hitting AND pitchign better.

But it never happened. You can't assume players will put up their average numbers because, as people like Jabrch are so quick to point out (though only when it fits the particular argument he's making): the game isn't played on paper. I'm not saying we should do anything drastic, but waiting around for players to normalize doesn't always work out

As for Cleveland, surely you see the difference between Sabathia and Carmona and Cliff Lee (established pitchers, or at least pitchers who have had prolonged success in the past) having ace quality starts and Gavin Floyd and John Danks posting ERA's at or below 3.00. Now, granted, just because Floyd and Danks have never done it before doesn't mean they can't keep it up all season...and in fact I'm very high on Floyd and Danks--especially Danks, whose strikeouts and control have been very impressive--I'm just saying that we're standing on very shaky ground as it is.

I hope we keep winning, and suspect we will, as long as our excellent pitching keeps up, but if you look at a game like last night or the night before, all it would have taken would be one bad inning, and we would be in a hole we couldn't climb out of. I don't expect this team to score more than 3 runs any given night, but as long as our pitching is flawless, we'll be fine. As long as our pitching is flawless :shrug:

I know the game isn't played on paper, if so, Detroit would be in first by 15 games already. But, if you look at a player's historical stats, you do find a credible trend. As recent as two weeks ago, you had everybody saying "Soriano's lost it, he should be playing on the bench." Now, he's possibly the hottest hitter in the majors and is playing like he normally does. Of course you have Sox fans proclaiming Thome's done and so is Konerko. I agree with you on Thome, he looks totally dazed up there sometimes and is almost averaging two strikeouts a game. But Konerko's playing with a bad thumb, yet he looks like he's starting to turn it around. Swisher's never been an average hitter, I wouldn't expect more than .250 from him, but Cabrera will hit around .270-.280. Age is a factor, but there can't possibly be a 50 point drop of batting average from all the veterans on this team to the point where they'll hit .210 for the entire year, that just doesn't seem possible.

October26
05-18-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm so happy for Mark Buehrle that he was able to get the win last night. The team played solid defense behind him and they played good fundamental baseball (get 'em on, get 'em over and get 'em in). Toby Hall got some hits and Octavio Dotel pitched well again. And of course, Bad Bobby Jenks did his thing. Nice win last night - let's finish the road trip on a high note today. Go Sox!:bandance:

fquaye149
05-18-2008, 02:13 PM
I know the game isn't played on paper, if so, Detroit would be in first by 15 games already. But, if you look at a player's historical stats, you do find a credible trend. As recent as two weeks ago, you had everybody saying "Soriano's lost it, he should be playing on the bench." Now, he's possibly the hottest hitter in the majors and is playing like he normally does. Of course you have Sox fans proclaiming Thome's done and so is Konerko. I agree with you on Thome, he looks totally dazed up there sometimes and is almost averaging two strikeouts a game. But Konerko's playing with a bad thumb, yet he looks like he's starting to turn it around. Swisher's never been an average hitter, I wouldn't expect more than .250 from him, but Cabrera will hit around .270-.280. Age is a factor, but there can't possibly be a 50 point drop of batting average from all the veterans on this team to the point where they'll hit .210 for the entire year, that just doesn't seem possible.

Who knows what will happen. I tend to agree with you that we should see upswing, especially in Swisher and Cabrera (especially since Cabrera's a warm-weather player).

However, I've watched enough White Sox baseball to know that even though players SHOULD start hitting "any time now" that does not necessarily make it so