PDA

View Full Version : MLB Extra Innings...

EastCoastSoxFan
05-17-2008, 09:46 PM
...does anyone have any idea why the last two Sox games have not been available on Extra Innings?

Both of these have been WGN games, but I am not aware of any out-of-market blackout restrictions on WGN telecasts; and even if there were, why wouldn't Extra Innings just show the FSN Bay Area feed?

Can someone shed some light on this for me? It's quite annoying...

Jjav829
05-17-2008, 10:14 PM
I believe both games were on WGN Superstation.

FWIW, someone put this on Wikipedia...

Nationally-broadcast games on FOX (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_on_FOX), ESPN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN_Major_League_Baseball) or TBS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_on_TBS) are not made available on Extra Innings. Chicago Cubs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Cubs) and White Sox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_White_Sox) games broadcasted nationally on Superstation WGN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstation_WGN) are also blacked out occasionally.

ondafarm
05-17-2008, 11:12 PM
broadcasted? I know that the strong verb forms are the first to go but isn't this a tad ridiculous?

NDSox12
05-17-2008, 11:27 PM
WGN broadcasts are not part of the MLB Extra Innings package. I don't know exactly why this is, but it has always been the case. However, games that are on WGN are NOT automatically blacked out on Extra Innings. It would have to be the opponents broadcast though. I'm pretty sure that line in Wikipedia is incorrect (shocker).

Do you know what station the San Francisco broadcast was on the last two nights? I suspect whatever channel it was, that channel is not part of the Extra Innings package.

whitesox901
05-18-2008, 02:28 AM
Do you know what station the San Francisco broadcast was on the last two nights? I suspect whatever channel it was, that channel is not part of the Extra Innings package.

I do beleave its been Comcast Sports net Bay Area, the FSN Bay area dosnt show the giants anymore. I remeber watching a spring training game on FSN Bay area in spring training, and they were talking about how they wernt airing on it, once the regular season started.

jcw218
05-18-2008, 04:03 AM
From watching the highlights from the last two games through MLB Gameday, it appears that the SF broadcasts were on an affiliate of NBC.

DSpivack
05-18-2008, 12:29 PM
WGN broadcasts are not part of the MLB Extra Innings package. I don't know exactly why this is, but it has always been the case. However, games that are on WGN are NOT automatically blacked out on Extra Innings. It would have to be the opponents broadcast though. I'm pretty sure that line in Wikipedia is incorrect (shocker).

I would think it also matters whether or not it's on the Superstation. Many, if not most, WGN games are not on the Superstation.

Lip Man 1
05-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Spivak:

Every game that the Sox and Cubs play that are listed to be televised by WGN ARE on the "Superstation" as well. I have never had a game listed on WGN that I was not able to see here in Idaho and I've got five years of records for that.

MLB is the biggest selling point for WGN. It's sure as hell not "America's Funniest Home Videos!" LOL.

The only current sport that they do which does not put some of its games on the Superstation are the Bulls. WGN's deal with the NBA limits them to I think only a dozen on the Superstation and obviously WGN televises more Bulls games then that.

I don't know the details of the new agreement with the Hawks.

Lip

Kogs35
05-18-2008, 12:58 PM

Lip

Lip hawks are not allowed on the superstation

Chicken Dinner
05-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Both of the last 2 games were broadcast on NBC-11 out of San Jose which wouldn't be included in the EI package (like WCIU games are not televised in the EI package). WGN games are never in the EI package but occasionally you'll see the other teams feed picked up by the package.

EastCoastSoxFan
05-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Then I guess I'll just have to harass my local cable provider to pick up WGN.

Thanks for the input...

Chicken Dinner
05-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Pretty much the rule is that if the feed comes across the open airwaves, EI doesn't use that feed. There are exceptions, but for the most part, you don't see it much.

DSpivack
05-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Spivak:

Every game that the Sox and Cubs play that are listed to be televised by WGN ARE on the "Superstation" as well. I have never had a game listed on WGN that I was not able to see here in Idaho and I've got five years of records for that.

MLB is the biggest selling point for WGN. It's sure as hell not "America's Funniest Home Videos!" LOL.

The only current sport that they do which does not put some of its games on the Superstation are the Bulls. WGN's deal with the NBA limits them to I think only a dozen on the Superstation and obviously WGN televises more Bulls games then that.

Lip

I must've been thinking of the Bulls, then.

Pretty much the rule is that if the feed comes across the open airwaves, EI doesn't use that feed. There are exceptions, but for the most part, you don't see it much.

What's odd to me is that today's Sox-Giants game is on WGN and I can watch it on MLB.tv (although it's the Giants feed), but either last night or friday (don't remember which) the game was on WGN but for some reason not available on MLB.tv.

Chicken Dinner
05-18-2008, 08:14 PM
I must've been thinking of the Bulls, then.

What's odd to me is that today's Sox-Giants game is on WGN and I can watch it on MLB.tv (although it's the Giants feed), but either last night or friday (don't remember which) the game was on WGN but for some reason not available on MLB.tv.

Today's game was on cable/Sat.....not open airwaves. I don't think WGN has had any game on the MLBTV.

DSpivack
05-18-2008, 08:16 PM
Today's game was on cable/Sat.....not open airwaves. I don't think WGN has had any game on the MLBTV.

I can't get anything right in this thread!

Jjav829
05-18-2008, 09:41 PM
I can't get anything right in this thread!

You got that right! :D:

MISoxfan
05-19-2008, 07:07 AM
Every extra innings game is blacked out in Japan. I hope my brother is enjoying that package I ordered.