PDA

View Full Version : *** Official *** That's 3 in a row! 5/16 vs. San Fran Post Game thread

thomas35forever
05-17-2008, 12:06 AM
The rookie came through.:bandance:

doublem23
05-17-2008, 12:06 AM
:winner

BadBobbyJenks
05-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Guaranteed .500 west coast road trip, but lets make it .700 instead.

manders_01
That was definitely something worth coming home to! Way to go Sox!!! :bandance:

LoveYourSuit
quickest transition ever from game to post game.... wow, someone wanted to go to sleep quick.

peeonwrigley
Excellent.

Dub25
05-17-2008, 12:08 AM
Great job by Gavin. A win when the offense is struggling is a bonus... I think... does that make sense?

LoveYourSuit
PITCHING is keeping us above water.

I might soon start believing Hawk .... about someone will pay if we ever start hitting.

doublem23
quickest transition ever from game to post game.... wow, someone wanted to go to sleep quick.

West doesn't pay overtime.

http://www.doney.net/aroundaz/celebrity/DA_arpaiochaingang.jpg

sox1970
I do believe they'll come home with a winning roadtrip. Any way you slice it, that's a good thing. Buehrle gets a W tomorrow...

NDSox12
05-17-2008, 12:10 AM
I don't want to take anything away from Gavin or the rest of the Sox pitching staff, but it has been nice facing some weak and/or struggling lineups on this road trip so far.

Putting that aside, great outing by Gavin! He got out of some serious jams in the first few innings and pitched himself another great game.

Alexei.... YES!

Hendu
05-17-2008, 12:10 AM
Nice - let's solidify this as a great west coast trip with another win or 2. I wish I was in SF this weekend.

chisox77
05-17-2008, 12:11 AM
The White Sox can get hot and do some damage here. This can be a great summer when they start hitting. The pitching has been stellar.

:cool:

chisoxfanatic
Guaranteed .500 west coast road trip, but lets make it .700 instead.

That would definitely be great. I'd imagine Ramirez gets a beer shower or something tonight. He needed that; now, maybe he'll start hitting more when he's given playing time.

Floyd allowed more guys to reach than usual; but, he got the pitches located where he needed them to be at the right time. Let's get them again tomorrow!

JB98
Thank goodness we have good pitching this year. The pitching staff is keeping us in the race.

The Sox gave Linebrink a lot of money, but he has been worth every penny so far. The number of "heart attack" eighth innings has been reduced greatly this season.

mccoydp
Good game tonight, Sox. Nice shutout by Gavin, nice HR by Alexei, and good stuff from the bullpen.

:winner:

October26
Kudos to Alexei for that rocket of a home run! Very happy about the outcome of this game. And a win for Gavin Floyd despite not having his best stuff tonight. Sox win! Sox win!:bandance:

voodoochile
Excellent...

Just enough offense and another good pitching line.

:supernana:

:)

cheezheadsoxfan
Nice win. Gavin not his sharpest but didn't freak with men on base, first HR by Alexi and bullpen looked good. Let's get Mark a ****load of runs tomorrow.

:bandance:

GlassSox
05-17-2008, 12:12 AM
Way to go Alexi :D:

chisoxfanatic
05-17-2008, 12:13 AM
The Sox gave Linebrink a lot of money, but he has been worth every penny so far. The number of "heart attack" eighth innings has been reduced greatly this season.
Pretty much. It's great having him go out there rather than Aardsma or Bukvich, that's for sure!

itsnotrequired

http://www.doney.net/aroundaz/celebrity/DA_arpaiochaingang.jpg

Hold up, the rest of the writing staff gets uniforms? All I got was a barrel.

http://www.marshotelonline.com/nopants.JPG

sullythered
I can't freakin' believe the pitching we have had this season. I'll take it!

Lip Man 1
Floyd certainly responded well after he got beat up in his last start.

Lip

BadBobbyJenks
05-17-2008, 12:17 AM

Lip

What was really encouraging was the fact that he did not have great command of the curveball and still kept the giants off the board.

JB98

Good point. That was one of the question marks I had about Floyd. Would he bounce back from adversity? Tonight, he did.

Bad starts will happen. The key is not allowing one bad start to become two and two bad starts to become three.

Tragg
Isn't that the truth.
Seems like he's been pretty efficient too - 10 pitches tonight and I think less than 10 2 nights ago.

chisoxfanatic
05-17-2008, 12:18 AM
Isn't that the truth.
Seems like he's been pretty efficient too - 10 pitches tonight and I think less than 10 2 nights ago.

He also seems to have something that we didn't see very much last year out of our 'pen: composure.

Tragg
05-17-2008, 12:20 AM
He also seems to have something that we didn't see very much last year out of our 'pen: composure.
For sure - and see discussion above on Floyd - everyone said he'd melt down in tough situations. Just the opposite has been true.
As much as I don't like the way Ozzie assembles lineups, I like the way he handles pitchers (assisted by a real top flight pitching coach).

JB98
05-17-2008, 12:21 AM
Isn't that the truth.

Mike MacDougal can't retire a single batter with 10 pitches, let alone retire the side in 10 pitches.

The signing of Linebrink really has been a huge plus. He has exceeded my expectations to this point.

Vernam
05-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Nice to see 'em get the runs for Floyd so his gutsy effort was rewarded. DJ called the homer by Ramirez, which was kind of cool. Bullpen was lights out again.

Some of the same negatives are still there, but **** it -- the W-L record doesn't lie. This has been a good roadtrip.

Vernam

sox1970
05-17-2008, 12:23 AM
The signing of Linebrink really has been a huge plus. He has exceeded my expectations to this point.

This is a good bullpen. If/When the Sox offense gets rolling, this bullpen will be the best in baseball. Yeah, I said it.

Tragg
05-17-2008, 12:25 AM
Mike MacDougal can't retire a single batter with 10 pitches, let alone retire the side in 10 pitches.

The way he's been pitching, he is about to suffer the indignity of not only being a minor leaguer, but that dreaded "organizational minor leauger".
I think he's behind Dewon Day in the pecking o rder.

Nellie_Fox
05-17-2008, 12:27 AM

You had better talk to your agent. I get time and a half for the night shift.

PhillipsBubba
05-17-2008, 12:29 AM
Well done Gavin!

God, if they could only start hitting...what a season it will be...

Is Ted Kluszewski available?:scratch:

http://images.wikia.com/openserving/sports/images/b/bb/200px-Tedkluszewski.jpg

SoxSpeed22
05-17-2008, 12:30 AM
Gutsy outing by Gavin, even without his best stuff, he kept the Giants off the board. If that wasn't the Giants, it probably would've been worse.
The problem is, once again, they look crappy against a lefty with decent slow stuff. Alexi gets his first home run in the majors and it was enough. The bullpen also looked great. That's 5 of 8, hopefully they can make it 7 of 10.

TDog
05-17-2008, 12:35 AM
It's funny that both Crede and Rowand were hit with pitches and all Pierzynski got was booed -- especially after his triple. (But I wonder if Geoff Blum ever makes a point of flashing his World Series ring around teammate Carlos Lee. I'll never stop thinking about 2005.)

As often happens, the team with the team that failed in the most opportunities lost. This is the way Cleveland has been winning of late, although tonight they lost to the Reds.

Given a choice between little hitting and big pitching, I would go with big pitching every time. Pitching, and not hitting, was what was was most missing in 2006 and 2007. Tonight the Sox played pretty good defense and neither the fielders or the pitchers let anything bad happen with two outs. The Giants missed three opportunities in the first two innings to drive in a runner from third and less than two out.

I'm sure people are upset that Dye didn't get a two-out hit after the two-out triple and two-out walk, but the Sox played a great game on defense tonight. And that's what will win ballgames big time.

Brian26
05-17-2008, 12:36 AM
For sure - and see discussion above on Floyd - everyone said he'd melt down in tough situations. Just the opposite has been true.
As much as I don't like the way Ozzie assembles lineups, I like the way he handles pitchers (assisted by a real top flight pitching coach).

I wrote this in the game report, but Gavin left runners stranded in scoring position in every inning. Now, I don't know if that's a testament to his poise tonight or a statement on how bad SF is, but here it is:

Those runners stranded by Floyd: Fred Lewis (3rd) in the first, Rowand (3rd) in the second, Lewis (2nd) in the third, Rowand (2nd) in the fourth, Randy Winn (2nd) in the fifth, and Durham (2nd) in the sixth.

sox1970
05-17-2008, 12:46 AM
Looks like Floyd will get a week off now. They're breaking up the lefties next week.

Contreras-Vazquez-Buehrle against Cleveland.
Floyd-Danks-Contreras against the Angels.

Tragg
05-17-2008, 12:46 AM
Those runners stranded by Floyd: Fred Lewis (3rd) in the first, Rowand (3rd) in the second, Lewis (2nd) in the third, Rowand (2nd) in the fourth, Randy Winn (2nd) in the fifth, and Durham (2nd) in the sixth.
It certainly would be best if he doesn't test his poise that often against a quality offensive club. I didn't see the game, so I don't know if he was tagged on some of those or if he was just dinked a little.
Pretty tight at the top of the Central- 4 teams within 1.5 games. Nobody looks great. I like our chances.
Enjoy the cellar, 1000 run tigers, 1927 Tigers- well earned.

johnnyg83
05-17-2008, 12:50 AM
I wrote this in the game report, but Gavin left runners stranded in scoring position in every inning. Now, I don't know if that's a testament to his poise tonight or a statement on how bad SF is, but here it is:.

Point taken, but either way it's got to be good for Gavin to know that he doesn't have to laser pinpoint every pitch. He showed some balzac today and he never seem rattled.

Dotel, Linebrink, Jenks? I don't remember having three great relievers like this. Our pitching beyond Wasserman, MacDougal and MB is lights out.

JB98
05-17-2008, 01:24 AM
Looks like Floyd will get a week off now. They're breaking up the lefties next week.

Contreras-Vazquez-Buehrle against Cleveland.
Floyd-Danks-Contreras against the Angels.

They want Buehrle to pitch against Cleveland? :o:

hawkjt
05-17-2008, 01:35 AM
Boone was really bringing it tonite...93-94 ,nasty. I would love to have the bullpen just stay right where it is at the rest of the year.

It was a great nite for Alexi to run into one. He had a little Soriano-wrist action on that homer. He was busting his buttons walking off the field as he won this game along with Gavin and the bp.

Win a couple more and lets go home and face the Indians for the lead in the AL Central.

WhiteSox5187
05-17-2008, 01:50 AM
Good to see that Floyd not only bounced back after a lousy outting against Seattle, but he also came through when he clearly did not have his best stuff. Let's take the series tommorrow.

UofCSoxFan
05-17-2008, 03:10 AM
"You guys won today. You guys won yesterday, so that's two in a row. If you win again tomorrow, that's called a winning streak. It has happened before"

Very nice to see Gavin come through despite not having his "A" stuff.

Mohoney
05-17-2008, 04:53 AM
Dotel, Linebrink, Jenks? I don't remember having three great relievers like this.

:cotts: :pollite: :jenks:

Railsplitter
05-17-2008, 06:36 AM
Finally, a great pitching performance not in vain. :bandance::bandance::bandance:

Pear-Zin-Ski
05-17-2008, 07:17 AM
Just enough awesomeness from Floyd to keep us in it...and what can I say about the bullpen...they looked friggin awesome tonite....

As far as Alexi...:gulp:

MikeKreevich
05-17-2008, 07:22 AM
Hawk really enjoyed calling the Ramirez home run last night.

Ol' Karnak was spot on. D.J. threw in his prediction, afterwards, that the score would hold up. Goose in the booth added to fun times in the city by the bay.

KyWhiSoxFan
05-17-2008, 08:30 AM
Kind of a boring game to watch--well-pitched games often are--but very satisfying.

palehozenychicty
05-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Nice battle by Floyd, and just enough O to win. Shoddy lefties still kill this club.

Sanchez had an ERA of almost 11.00 this month, and we could only get 5 hits the entire game?! :scratch: This can only go on for so long, right? Right?!

veeter
05-17-2008, 10:33 AM
:cotts: :pollite: :jenks:Don't forget Hermanson. He was huge.

soltrain21
05-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Sure we can say that the Giants aren't a very good baseball team, but they are still hitters who will make a pitcher pay for certain mistakes. Gavin didn't make any mistakes and always got the pitch he needed.

We have seen what he can do when he is lights out, and now we are starting to see him out think the hitter when he isn't lights out. A very good sign for him and us.

kevingrt
05-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Floyd plunking Rowand twice was awesome.

He was definitely showing us White Sox fans who the new "hero" is in town.

Brian26
05-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Goose in the booth added to fun times in the city by the bay.

His thoughts on Joba Chamberlein were fun to listen to. Something to the effect that if he pulled some of those stunts (fist pumping, pointing up in the air) back in his era, he wouldn't have been able to walk back to his dugout.

TDog
05-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Nice battle by Floyd, and just enough O to win. Shoddy lefties still kill this club.

Sanchez had an ERA of almost 11.00 this month, and we could only get 5 hits the entire game?! :scratch: This can only go on for so long, right? Right?!

Sanchez' big problem has been walks and getting behind hitters to give them good hitting counts. Friday night he was getting ahead of hitters and was around the plate for the most part. Not enough White Sox hitters are looking to hit when they are ahead in the count anyway as they are looking to "work the pitcher," but in the game thread people were complaining that Sox weren't working the pitcher enough.) Certainly, there was nothing small about the umpire's strike zone, and that didn't hurt. Friday Sanchez had a good fastball, changeup and strong slider working. His slider, best than he has had since April, emerged later in the game, so the third time through the order, most Sox hitters hadn't seen it. The Sanchez who was all over the place to Brian Anderson after the home run is closer to the Sanchez National League hitters have been seeing in May.

I know it's a novel approach to watch players play baseball rather than look at numbers to assess how they should do against the White Sox. But real baseball isn't played on Nintendo.

TDog
05-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Floyd plunking Rowand twice was awesome.

He was definitely showing us White Sox fans who the new "hero" is in town.

The funny thing about that was that Floyd and Rowand used to be teammates on the Phillies. The Catch that made Rowand a legend in Philadelphia came with Floyd on the mound.

LITTLE NELL
05-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Im starting to get a little excited because when you look at how many home games vs road games we have played(16-25) and to be 1game over .500 is pretty good. Hopefully we can at least split these next 2 games and come home on a high note, however it wont be easy with Cleveland and the Angels at home and Cleveland and the Rays on the road. We need to get our hitters on a roll to go along with the great pitching.