PDA

View Full Version : Baseball America mock draft

cws05champ
05-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Baseball America has the Sox projected to take Gordon Beckham at #8.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/mock-draft/2008/266117.html

Mr. White Sox
05-18-2008, 02:30 AM

After ignoring position players for a while, it's time the Sox go for a bat at #8. Beckham, Alonso, Smoak, etc. are all great choices in that range, so I'd be happy with that pick. Let's hope Crow and Matusz go before #8 so there are more options available.

cws05champ
05-18-2008, 08:18 PM
After ignoring position players for a while, it's time the Sox go for a bat at #8. Beckham, Alonso, Smoak, etc. are all great choices in that range, so I'd be happy with that pick. Let's hope Crow and Matusz go before #8 so there are more options available.
Well, If Matusz is there I wouldn't pass him up....

Mr. White Sox
05-18-2008, 09:08 PM
Well, If Matusz is there I wouldn't pass him up....

If Poreda doesn't end up as a reliever, that would mean the Sox could end up with four lefties in their rotation (Buehrle, Danks, Poreda, Matusz) ... is that unheard of? I'm sure Buehrle would be gone by then, but 3 LHP is quite a bit too.

btrain929
05-18-2008, 09:17 PM
If Poreda doesn't end up as a reliever, that would mean the Sox could end up with four lefties in their rotation (Buehrle, Danks, Poreda, Matusz) ... is that unheard of? I'm sure Buehrle would be gone by then, but 3 LHP is quite a bit too.

Danks will stay put. But if Poreda and Matusz (if we draft him, which we won't cuz he won't be around that long) remain highly touted, I'd imagine one of them would be traded for help on the big league club ala Gio/DLS.

EMachine10
05-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Danks will stay put. But if Poreda and Matusz (if we draft him, which we won't cuz he won't be around that long) remain highly touted, I'd imagine one of them would be traded for help on the big league club ala Gio/DLS.

That would be like the Giants trading Lincecum, or the Royals Hochevar, or something along those lines. Players like that are much more highly thought of than Gio or DLS (although around these parts, you'd be thinking those two were HOF pitchers already). If we did take someone like Matusz, we better yield someone of more talent than Nick Swisher.

btrain929
05-18-2008, 10:28 PM
That would be like the Giants trading Lincecum, or the Royals Hochevar, or something along those lines. Players like that are much more highly thought of than Gio or DLS (although around these parts, you'd be thinking those two were HOF pitchers already). If we did take someone like Matusz, we better yield someone of more talent than Nick Swisher.

Hahaha, agreed. Either way, I think it's a moot point because Matusz will NOT fall to us. We should be taking a hitter with the 8th pick, and one of the stud C's (Posey, Skipworth), Alonso, G. Beckham, or Smoak will be available and should be drafted.

California Sox
05-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Where's there's smoke, I think there's fire. I bet the Sox take Wallace.

btrain929
05-19-2008, 12:13 AM
Where's there's smoke, I think there's fire. I bet the Sox take Wallace.

If that was true, Konerko would be on the Angels and Colon would be on the White Sox. That phrase, when it comes to the Chicago White Sox, is more like: "where's there's smoke, there's no chance in hell there's a fire."

munchman33
05-19-2008, 07:25 AM
Players like that are much more highly thought of than Gio or DLS

And part of that reason is because foreign players aren't subject to draft ranking. If DLS entered the draft with his talent, he'd have no doubt been gone in the first few picks and had been much more of a household name.

gr8mexico
05-19-2008, 01:15 PM

I cant understand why the Sox would want to Draft a SS. They have Ramirez and Juan Silverio.

California Sox
05-19-2008, 02:16 PM
If that was true, Konerko would be on the Angels and Colon would be on the White Sox. That phrase, when it comes to the Chicago White Sox, is more like: "where's there's smoke, there's no chance in hell there's a fire."

I'm talking about the draft. The Sox are a team that historically have not been that tight-lipped about who they're drafting. The fact that KW was at an ASU game just stokes the fire. We'll see. I'd probably rather have Beckham, but Wallace is a proven commodity and a left-handed hitter so it would not be a terrible pick.

btrain929
05-19-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm talking about the draft. The Sox are a team that historically have not been that tight-lipped about who they're drafting. The fact that KW was at an ASU game just stokes the fire. We'll see. I'd probably rather have Beckham, but Wallace is a proven commodity and a left-handed hitter so it would not be a terrible pick.

If Posey and Smoak are gone by the time we draft, along with Matusz and Crow, then I think it comes down to G.Beckham, Wallace, and maybe Y.Alonso.

sox1970
05-19-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm just glad they'll probably take a college position player that can be in the big leagues in a couple years. I'll trust they've done their homework.

skottyj242
05-19-2008, 03:03 PM
I hope they draft Shooter Hunt for name alone.

btrain929
05-19-2008, 03:11 PM
I hope they draft Shooter Hunt for name alone.

With honorable mentions going to Cutter Dykstra.

EMachine10
05-19-2008, 03:59 PM
I cant understand why the Sox would want to Draft a SS. They have Ramirez and Juan Silverio.

Ramirez can move around and play a few positions, and Silverio won't be helping us for quite some time. You draft the best player available.

thedudeabides
05-19-2008, 05:21 PM

Kenny Williams son Kyle goes to Arizona State and was on the baseball team. So, that is one reason he could have been there is person.

Fungo
05-20-2008, 09:16 AM
I'm skeptical of Gordon Beckham. He wasn't very highly touted coming out of high school, had decent numbers his first 2 years at Georgia, but is tearing it up this year. I know there are late bloomers, but I hope they've done their homework on this guy.

itsnotrequired
05-20-2008, 11:49 AM

The Pirates currently have four leftys in their starting rotation.

btrain929
05-20-2008, 11:57 AM

Matusz will be gone by then.

My money is on Gordon Beckham, Brett Wallace, or Justin Smoak (if he is still available which is highly unlikely), with an outside consideration maybe to Yonder Alonso. I hope they take a mashing 1B, which is why I think it'll come down to the last 3 I mentioned. G.Beckham projects more as a 2B, and while you don't draft for need, our system is fairly deep at that position (Alexei, Richar, Getz, Shelby might move back).

Sockinchisox
05-26-2008, 02:03 AM
Keith Law says he is hearing the Sox are leaning towards picking Beckham or Brett Wallace.

jabrch
05-26-2008, 02:35 AM
Keith Law says he is hearing the Sox are leaning towards picking Beckham or Brett Wallace.

I guarantee you Keith Law is not hearing that from anyone who has any authority to make that decision - because none of those people would have anything to do with a guy like Keith Law.

He's got fewer inside White Sox connections than some of our posters.

Keith Law is a boob. He ought to work for the Inquirer if they had a sports section.

btrain929
05-26-2008, 09:01 AM
I guarantee you Keith Law is not hearing that from anyone who has any authority to make that decision - because none of those people would have anything to do with a guy like Keith Law.

Keith Law is a boob. He ought to work for the Inquirer if they had a sports section.

Not exactly the same situation, but it's similar to NBA reporters saying they are hearing that the Bulls will be taking Derrick Rose with the 1st pick: he's just relaying to us what is the most likely action. Beckham and Wallace are the top 2 guys in the Sox eyes and have been for a while. I think that has to change though if a stud top 5 guy falls to us like Posey or Smoak.

gogosox16
05-26-2008, 10:00 AM
I foreget where I heard this but people are were saying that Gordan Beckman is probably the closest player to come out this draft to be ready for the majors right away. So That could be another reason if available to pick him in the case with OC not returning.

EMachine10
05-26-2008, 10:48 AM
I foreget where I heard this but people are were saying that Gordan Beckman is probably the closest player to come out this draft to be ready for the majors right away. So That could be another reason if available to pick him in the case with OC not returning.

I read in BA just yesterday that it was Tim Beckham that was one of the top 3 closest to the majors from HS. I didn't see "our" Beckham on the college top 3.

btrain929
05-26-2008, 10:54 AM
I read in BA just yesterday that it was Tim Beckham that was one of the top 3 closest to the majors from HS. I didn't see "our" Beckham on the college top 3.

Tim Beckham is top 3 closest to the majors "from HS." If he's the best HS player in the country, of course he'll be in the top 3 in HS to get to the majors. But as a player in general, he's not someone who's going to shoot through a system. He's still young and raw with many tools that need to develop. The type of players that should shoot through a system are the big time college bats and the top college relievers. I believe Brett Wallace falls into the former, being touted as one of if not the best bat in the draft with a great combination of power to all fields and great patience and feel for the strike zone.

Craig Grebeck
05-26-2008, 10:57 AM

You base this on...? I would bet my life you are wrong that he has no connections to any scouts associated with the Chicago White Sox.

EMachine10
05-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Tim Beckham is top 3 closest to the majors "from HS." If he's the best HS player in the country, of course he'll be in the top 3 in HS to get to the majors. But as a player in general, he's not someone who's going to shoot through a system. He's still young and raw with many tools that need to develop. The type of players that should shoot through a system are the big time college bats and the top college relievers. I believe Brett Wallace falls into the former, being touted as one of if not the best bat in the draft with a great combination of power to all fields and great patience and feel for the strike zone.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying about Tim Beckham. I was just passing along what I read. You do need to wait a little extra for that young, raw, HS talent. The college guys, for the most part, will reach first, because they are more polished and trained. If you're San Diego waiting on Matt Bush, you gotta wait a little longer than usual, though.

jabrch
05-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Not exactly the same situation, but it's similar to NBA reporters saying they are hearing that the Bulls will be taking Derrick Rose with the 1st pick: he's just relaying to us what is the most likely action. Beckham and Wallace are the top 2 guys in the Sox eyes and have been for a while. I think that has to change though if a stud top 5 guy falls to us like Posey or Smoak.

Keith Law is likely to be as right as Sam Smith... The bulls will get in a 10 team trade where 50 players move.... (He makes **** up all the time and is never right)

Law is not a Sox insider. If you told me that Gammons said it, and it was about the Red Sox, I might buy it. I think Cowley is a complete dimwit - but he's got Sox connections.

Keith Law is not a White Sox insider. He may or may not end up correct, but it isn't because he has inside knowledge. And the Sox (as most franchises) are so organizationally tight lipped about the draft anyhow...

jabrch
05-26-2008, 11:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/...21705&n8pe6c=1

Keith Law's points...just for the record... (some paraphrased from another poster...)

1) Sox had the worst offseason in baseball
2) Law thinks Sox will regret Linebrink contract sooner rather than later.
3) Sox are NOT a contending team, especially in the AL Central, but are trying to act like one.
4) Sox should change directions and rebuild.
5) A bunch of WSI posters clearly agree in the thread that the offseason was a failure - and they have Law, Mariotti and Rogers to prove it... (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97645&highlight)

Craig Grebeck
05-26-2008, 11:41 PM

Keith Law's points...just for the record... (some paraphrased from another poster...)

3) Sox are NOT a contending team, especially in the AL Central, but are trying to act like one.
5) A bunch of WSI posters clearly agree in the thread that the offseason was a failure - and they have Law, Mariotti and Rogers to prove it... (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97645&highlight)

1) It was Law's contention that this roster -- which he perceived to be too far away in terms of talent (especially young talent) should try to rebuild. By acquiring Swisher and signing Linebrink, which cost 3 prospects plus a 2nd round draft pick, the Sox front office was very, very, very risky and could still pay the price for these moves. By Law's logic, it makes sense. I have doubts on whether this team can contend this season, and past that their window of opportunity is not so large.
2) I'm sure we will regret this. Four years for a reliever is insanity. Linebrink is awesome at the moment, but time will tell. The precedent for these types of contracts does not bode well.
3) Our pitching has been amazing, but our offense has looked horrid. Our pitching may come down and our offense may go up -- evening things out. I think we can contend, but there's so much room for improvement.
4) I don't think it would have been a terrible idea.

Tragg
05-27-2008, 12:39 PM
The yapping about Linebrink's contract was ridiculous. It's just not that much money no matter what happens - it's 4-5 mill a year, not 10 mill. That's Uribe money. That's 2.5 Cintrons. Big deal.
It's also, if I recall, Howry money...where was the yapping?

Discussing whether the trades was good makes sense; whether the Sox should have pushed as much in for this year was a good debate.

But "rebuilding" is unnecessary for a large market team; futher, the example used - Cleveland - has made ONE playoff appearance in the 7 or 8 years since rebulding and their attendance has tanked to crap levels - what a success that's been.

spawn
05-27-2008, 01:42 PM

It was awesome reading through that thread again.
A couple of my favorite posts:

Banking on a rotation with Jose Contreras, John Danks, and Gavin Floyd hardly sounds like winning baseball.
Oh look. Another outlet mirrors my comments from the entire offseason.
They must be dillusional.
The problem is that they don't get it. They're not a good team. They have no shot to contend with Detroit or Cleveland. Trying to improve the '08 club was the wrong strategy. I didn't mind the Swisher acquisition, but why are they giving up prospects?Good times!:redneck

doublem23
05-27-2008, 03:29 PM

Now that Dumatrait has replaced Matt Morris in Pittsburgh's rotation, they have 4 lefties: Dumatrait, Zach Duke, Paul Maholm, and Tom Gorzelanny with Ian Snell, the lone righty.

doublem23
05-27-2008, 03:33 PM
(http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97645&highlight)

50 games into the season, that thread is hi-larious.

Randar68
05-27-2008, 05:02 PM
If Matusz or Crow isn't there, give me G Beckham or Smoak. I'd be happy with either.

BadBobbyJenks
05-28-2008, 11:52 PM
The Rays are looking at Posey at number one are they not?

cws05champ
05-29-2008, 08:14 AM
Possibly, or Tim Beckam.

HebrewHammer
05-29-2008, 07:46 PM
The yapping about Linebrink's contract was ridiculous. It's just not that much money no matter what happens - it's 4-5 mill a year, not 10 mill. That's Uribe money. That's 2.5 Cintrons. Big deal.

Personally, I prefer to put things in terms of how many Royce Claytons I can buy. 1 Linebrink is about 2 Royces or 13 Andy Gonzalezes.

btrain929
05-29-2008, 09:19 PM

This is a link to draft guru Jonathan Mayo. He posts his own little rumor mill when he hears them. He says the Rays might look at Beckham, Posey, or POSSIBLY Alvarez. Near the end, he mentions the White Sox. Instead of the normal Gordon Beckham and Brett Wallace rumors, he mentions 2 power-hitting 1B, and a college power reliever.

http://draft.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/05/the_rumor_mill.html

sox1970
05-29-2008, 09:22 PM
I really hope they take a run producer, whether it be Smoak, Wallace, or the other guy.

Sockinchisox
06-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Law says that we are eyeing Jason Castro now.

I'd be pissed if we took Castro at 8, he's not top 10 material. Also the Giants are looking at G. Beckham.

Mayo has updated his mock draft and still has us picking Beckham.

fquaye149
06-03-2008, 11:06 AM

I'd be pissed if we took Castro at 8, he's not top 10 material. Also the Giants are looking at G. Beckham.

Too bad we can't trade down, because Castro seems like he'd be a good player for our system

btrain929
06-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Too bad we can't trade down, because Castro seems like he'd be a good player for our system

Absolutely. He's from Stanford, so you know he has what it takes to be Chicago Tough...

fquaye149
06-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Absolutely. He's from Stanford, so you know he has what it takes to be Chicago Tough...

:rolling:

cws05champ
06-03-2008, 03:37 PM

Mayo has updated his mock draft and still has us picking Beckham.
I'd be pissed if we took Castro or Cashner. You don't draft JC closers with the # 8 pick in the draft!! We need an impact offensive player two years down the road with this pick.

palehozenychicty
06-03-2008, 03:48 PM
They have to get a quality position player with a top-10 pick. A closer would be asinine.

Jaffar
06-03-2008, 04:18 PM
http://www.americanidol.com/media/contestants/season7/finalists/jason_c.jpg

Geez, I couldn't stand him on the show, I'd hate the Sox drafting him. :redneck

Sockinchisox
06-03-2008, 04:31 PM
They have to get a quality position player with a top-10 pick. A closer would be asinine.

If they drafted Cashner at 8, they would most definitely be looking at him as a starter.

champagne030
06-03-2008, 11:05 PM

:Jerry: "Son, do you know what slot money means?" That's what I thought. We'll be taking the best player that signs, below 'slot'.......

Mr. White Sox
06-03-2008, 11:16 PM
:Jerry: "Son, do you know what slot money means?" That's what I thought. We'll be taking the best player that signs, below 'slot'.......

Here's a homework assignment for Jerry:

Take the money you would have used to sign Mike D'Antoni, and put it towards Smoak. There you go.

Lillian
06-04-2008, 09:12 AM
If the Sox do end up with Wallace, what do you think about the feasibility of converting him to a catcher. He has a catcher's body, and an arm rated "above average". With his hitting prowess, he could be an outstanding player as a catcher. As a First Baseman, it would more difficult for him to distinguish himself from other good hitting guys at that position.

Fungo
06-04-2008, 10:55 AM
From BAs Draft Blog today (6/4)...

The White Sox have been linked to Arizona State’s two-time Pac-10 triple crown winner, Brett Wallace, at the No. 8 spot, but the Sox may be more interested in another Pac-10 lefthanded hitter. Chicago farm director Alan Regier was given extensive scouting duties in the wake of Dave Wilder’s firing. Regier, a former assistant coach at California, is the godfather of Stanford catcher Jason Castro. Regier’s recent promotion to the scouting side has fueled speculation that Castro, whose profile is similar to Chicago’s current catcher, A.J. Pierzynski, could be the Sox’ pick.

Sockinchisox
06-04-2008, 10:59 AM
BP has us picking Smoak, and says that the Wallace rumors have died.

Save McCuddy's
06-04-2008, 11:03 AM

Ramirez is listed at 26 which means he's more likely to be 30. There's no upside with him as what we see this year is likely what we can expect to get in the next 1 to 3 years.

Silverio is 17 and a PROJECT. No telling what we'll have there.

We have an organizational need in the middle infield and Beckham looks like a solid bet with a great bat. I'd be disappointed if we don't take him provided that he's available.

Sockinchisox
06-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Ramirez is listed at 26 which means he's more likely to be 30. There's no upside with him as what we see this year is likely what we can expect to get in the next 1 to 3 years.

We have an organizational need in the middle infield and Beckham looks like a solid bet with a great bat. I'd be disappointed if we don't take him provided that he's available.

For all we know, Silverio is 25 and sucks at playing baseball.

Corlose 15
06-04-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm probably leaning between Gordan Beckham and Smoak here.

Beckham has some good pop for a middle infielder, line drive hitter with a good arm and should be a decent shortstop or an above average second baseman. Also, he's not exactly a burner but according to milb.com's draft preview he is an excellent baserunner so that adds a good dynamic to the lineup.

Smoak, is a slow runner though not necessarily a base clogger and at best an average defender at first base so he fits into the mold of the slow probably station to station runner that people seem to have fits about being in the lineup around here. However, this guy's a switch hitter with 40 HR potential and that is pretty hard to pass on.

I'd be fine with either one. But if at 8 Smoak and Beckham are available which one would you guys all go for?

Also, all this information I gleaned off of milb.com's draft preview, I don't claim to be an insider.:redneck

Sockinchisox
06-04-2008, 11:11 AM

Beckham has some good pop for a middle infielder, line drive hitter with a good arm and should be a decent shortstop or an above average second baseman. Also, he's not exactly a burner but according to milb.com's draft preview he is an excellent baserunner so that adds a good dynamic to the lineup.

Smoak, is a slow runner though not necessarily a base clogger and at best an average defender at first base so he fits into the mold of the slow probably station to station runner that people seem to have fits about being in the lineup around here. However, this guy's a switch hitter with 40 HR potential and that is pretty hard to pass on.

I'd be fine with either one. But if at 8 Smoak and Beckham are available which one would you guys all go for?

Also, all this information I gleaned off of milb.com's draft preview, I don't claim to be an insider.:redneck

Smoak

EMachine10
06-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Whoever they take, it should be exciting to watch the progress that prospect makes. Hopefully we can pick the right player that can become the impact bat this lineup needs...someone like a Ryan Braun, Jay Bruce, Tulowitzki (all picked in the 5-12 range in 2005).

Britt Burns
06-04-2008, 11:33 AM

As much as I'd like to see the Sox draft, sign, and develop a quality SS before the next ice age, and even though Beckham has had some Nomar comparisons thrown his way, I think you have to take Smoak. He is considered one of the safer picks in the draft, and his upside is around a switch-hitting Morneau. That doesn't come around too often.

Jason Castro would be a disaster, or at a minimum an unnecessarily large risk on the Sox highest pick since...1990? I know his upside is good, but at this point his college career indicates he is Jason Dellareo at catcher. Check out his career stats (from the Stanford site):

Year Avg GP-GS AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB SLG% BB HBP SO
2006.... .283 53-40 159 27 45 5 2 3 19 63 .396 19 2 18
2007.... .167 42-26 102 13 17 3 0 1 14 23 .225 17 1 23
2008.... .347 35-35 144 33 50 9 1 8 31 85 .590 12 2 22
TOTAL....277 130-101 405 73 112 17 3 12 64 171 .422 48 5 63

Hopefully this is just a smokescreen for the real pick the Sox are honing in on.

EMachine10
06-04-2008, 11:54 AM
As much as I'd like to see the Sox draft, sign, and develop a quality SS before the next ice age, and even though Beckham has had some Nomar comparisons thrown his way, I think you have to take Smoak. He is considered one of the safer picks in the draft, and his upside is around a switch-hitting Morneau. That doesn't come around too often.

Jason Castro would be a disaster, or at a minimum an unnecessarily large risk on the Sox highest pick since...1990? I know his upside is good, but at this point his college career indicates he is Jason Dellareo at catcher. Check out his career stats (from the Stanford site):

Hopefully this is just a smokescreen for the real pick the Sox are honing in on.

If the Sox spend this high of a pick on a catcher, that is not the premier catcher, a la Joe Mauer, it would be a complete disaster when you consider the other options available.

sox1970
06-04-2008, 12:12 PM
If the Sox spend this high of a pick on a catcher, that is not the premier catcher, a la Joe Mauer, it would be a complete disaster when you consider the other options available.

I don't think Castro will be the pick. The highest rated catcher is a high schooler named Kyle Skipworth. He's been compared to Mauer but with more power.

Save McCuddy's
06-04-2008, 12:19 PM

It's got to be Beckham if he's available. A shortstop in the SEC leading the nation in homers looks as safe a bet as one can get in the annual mlb crapshoot. I'm hoping he's still available.

champagne030
06-04-2008, 12:51 PM
The highest rated catcher is a high schooler named Kyle Skipworth.

I've yet to see a projection with Skipworth going before Posey.

Skipworth has way more potential than Castro, but will require a bonus significantly higher than slot.

btrain929
06-04-2008, 12:58 PM

I heard Smoak is a very good defender to go along with his offense. I heard Alonso's D is pretty poor.

sox1970
06-04-2008, 01:13 PM

Skipworth has way more potential than Castro, but will require a bonus significantly higher than slot.

You're right. For some reason, I keep forgetting Posey is a catcher.

EMachine10
06-04-2008, 01:33 PM
You're right. For some reason, I keep forgetting Posey is a catcher.

He played SS his freshman year at FSU. They converted him to catcher.

Corlose 15
06-04-2008, 06:29 PM
I heard Smoak is a very good defender to go along with his offense. I heard Alonso's D is pretty poor.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/events/draft_report/y2008/index.jsp?mc=smoak

That is where I got my information and I guess its not so much that he's a bad first baseman, just that its all he's ever going to be able to play.

Though, I've got no problem with a 40 HR high average switch hitter only playing first base.:redneck

Overall though I think its a moot point because I can't see him slipping to 8. I think he's the perfect pick for the Giants.

cws05champ
06-04-2008, 06:41 PM

:?:

There's no upside with Ramirez?

cws05champ
06-04-2008, 06:47 PM

A lot of proj have Skipworth going to the Marlins, but they say he has as much or more upside than Posey. He is lower because he is a HS catcher vs Posey coming out of College who will be closer to the majors.

champagne030
06-04-2008, 07:08 PM
A lot of proj have Skipworth going to the Marlins, but they say he has as much or more upside than Posey. He is lower because he is a HS catcher vs Posey coming out of College who will be closer to the majors.

Don't get me wrong. I think Skipworth is clearly the #2 catcher on the board and his hitting skills are awesome for a HS'er. He does look raw, defensively, but has a great arm. I agree he has the same upside or more than Posey, but Posey is already much closer to that upside and Kyle needs to grow into his body before his mechanics behind the plate improve significantly.

Sockinchisox
06-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Mayo has updated his blog and says the Reds are most likely going to take Beckham.

Fungo
06-04-2008, 09:52 PM
It's got to be Beckham if he's available. A shortstop in the SEC leading the nation in homers looks as safe a bet as one can get in the annual mlb crapshoot. I'm hoping he's still available.I don't think so. He'll be switched to 2b in pro ball and I think that's way too high to pick a second baseman. I say either Castro or the best pitcher available.

Frater Perdurabo
06-04-2008, 10:00 PM
He'll be switched to 2b in pro ball and I think that's way too high to pick a second baseman.

Why will he be switched to 2B? Is he just not good enough defensively to play SS in the majors?

champagne030
06-04-2008, 10:00 PM
I don't think so. He'll be switched to 2b in pro ball and I think that's way too high to pick a second baseman. I say either Castro or the best pitcher available.

I'm not completely sold on Beckham, but he's light years ahead of Castro. Castro would be a slap in the face.

EMachine10
06-04-2008, 10:02 PM
I don't think so. He'll be switched to 2b in pro ball and I think that's way too high to pick a second baseman. I say either Castro or the best pitcher available.

Nothing that I've read has the Sox linked to a pitcher. Broadway, McCullough, and Poreda three years in a row. They need an impact bat, and drafting this high, with the crop of hitters that is available, you need to grab a bat. Beckham or the first basemen. Castro is the 3rd best catcher in this draft and had two suspect years prior to this. If Beckham, Smoak, Hosmer, Alonso, and Wallace are all somehow gone by the 8th pick, maybe they'd grab Castro, but you need to go best player available and I don't think that would be Castro.

Fungo
06-04-2008, 10:14 PM
I don't want Castro either, but his name has surfaced recently with the Sox. This draft falls right in Williams lap after releasing Duane Schaffer last year. I'm sure he wants to make a splash. Castro is not a splash, which is good news.

champagne030
06-04-2008, 10:22 PM
I want Hosmer, Alonso and Matusz in that order. One will fall to us for signing reasons, but will we agree to pay the better player or settle for the easier sign?

btrain929
06-04-2008, 10:25 PM
I don't want Castro either, but his name has surfaced recently with the Sox. This draft falls right in Williams lap after releasing Duane Schaffer last year. I'm sure he wants to make a splash. Castro is not a splash, which is good news.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=286

The reason Castro is getting brought up recently is because Alan Regier is the godfather of Castro. With Regier now doing a lot of scouting with Wilder gone, people are putting 2 and 2 together. I'm 99.9% sure Castro won't be drafted by us. We will get one of GBeckham, Smoak, Alonso, or Wallace.

btrain929
06-04-2008, 10:28 PM
I want Hosmer, Alonso and Matusz in that order. One will fall to us for signing reasons, but will we agree to pay the better player or settle for the easier sign?

I don't think there's anyway Matusz falls that far. He would be the only exception for drafting a pitcher with this 8th pick. Hosmer will drop because of signability/Borass, but I'd rather have Smoak or Alonso over Hosmer anyway.

Fungo
06-04-2008, 10:35 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=286

The reason Castro is getting brought up recently is because Alan Regier is the godfather of Castro. With Regier now doing a lot of scouting with Wilder gone, people are putting 2 and 2 together. I'm 99.9% sure Castro won't be drafted by us. We will get one of GBeckham, Smoak, Alonso, or Wallace.I posted the same blurb from that blog 2 pages ago. I did some homework and made a few calls and others have said they've heard his name mentioned in the same sentence with the Sox. Believe me, I hope not and the more I see of Gordon Beckham, I hope they take a pass on him too. I'd love one of the first basemen you mentioned or the best pitcher available at our pick. I'm sorry, you can never have enough pitching.