PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Tribune Story On "Bias"

Lip Man 1
05-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Just out this afternoon:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-oped0516mcnultymay16,1,4625805.column

This dovetails exactly with everything I've been told in the WSI interviews by folks like Phil Rogers, Ed Sherman, Bob Vanderberg and Paul Sullivan. (The last three are acknowledged Sox fans) Every one of them can't wait for the sale to go through.

Lip

TDog
05-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Just out this afternoon:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-oped0516mcnultymay16,1,4625805.column

This dovetails exactly with everything I've been told in the WSI interviews by folks like Phil Rogers, Ed Sherman, Bob Vanderberg and Paul Sullivan. (The last three are acknowledged Sox fans) Every one of them can't wait for the sale to go through.

Lip

For anyone who knows anything about journalism, this is common sense. But when it comes to people's views on sports coverage, nonsense is more common.

tebman
05-16-2008, 08:16 PM
This is a dead horse for us, I know. I don't doubt that the writers wish the company would get rid of the Cubs, but it's not their call. The Tribune Company is in the advertising and marketing business, not the news business. The newspaper is in the news business while the tightly-synergistic parts of the company do a marketing dance together, including the Cubs as their showpiece.

It's good business and that's what the Tribune has always admired. The difference now is that Zell makes no pretense of being a journalistic paragon. He says out loud that it's all about money -- at least he's honest about it.

The disconnect here is that people like me, for whom being a Sox fan is part of my identity, feel the disdain at a personal level as the White Sox community is portrayed as boorish and unwashed. The Tribune newspaper is one cog in the hype machine selling that idea, and I think good people like Sullivan and Morrissey are offended by the suggestion that they're unethical. Of course they're not, but their corporate bosses have put them in this no-win position.

Corporate ambition is what's cramping the Tribune's writers, not bad journalism.

jackbrohamer
05-18-2008, 02:17 PM
This has also been discussed extensively on this board, but it still never ceases to amaze me that the only thing that McGrath can ever point to in showing that the Trib is "fair" is that it gave the Sox extra coverage WHEN THEY WON THE WORLD SERIES. They give extra coverage to the biggest Chicago baseball story in 88 years and that makes them "fair"! Hard to imagine someone being more clueless than that

cheezheadsoxfan
05-18-2008, 02:39 PM
This has also been discussed extensively on this board, but it still never ceases to amaze me that the only thing that McGrath can ever point to in showing that the Trib is "fair" is that it gave the Sox extra coverage WHEN THEY WON THE WORLD SERIES. They give extra coverage to the biggest Chicago baseball story in 88 years and that makes them "fair"! Hard to imagine someone being more clueless than that

I've always found that defense ridiculous also. I've heard Cub fans sprout it. We did a decent job of covering the World Series so we're always "fair and balanced"??? :scratch:

gobears1987
05-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Just out this afternoon:

This dovetails exactly with everything I've been told in the WSI interviews by folks like Phil Rogers, Ed Sherman, Bob Vanderberg and Paul Sullivan. (The last three are acknowledged Sox fans) Everyone of them can't wait for the sale to go through.

LipPaul Sullivan's a Sox fan?:o:

I wonder why they give him the Cub's beat then.

Hitmen77
05-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Paul Sullivan's a Sox fan?:o:

I wonder why they give him the Cub's beat then.

He was the Trib's Sox beat writer before going over the Cubs. The story I heard is that he couldn't stand Terry Bevington and that's why he switched.

I also heard that he at least grew up as a Sox fan. I'm not sure if that's still the case.

TheOldRoman
05-18-2008, 07:30 PM
This has also been discussed extensively on this board, but it still never ceases to amaze me that the only thing that McGrath can ever point to in showing that the Trib is "fair" is that it gave the Sox extra coverage WHEN THEY WON THE WORLD SERIES. They give extra coverage to the biggest Chicago baseball story in 88 years and that makes them "fair"! Hard to imagine someone being more clueless than thatSuch a conspiracy theorist... They could have been running Cubs stories during that time, but the Sox got A LOT more stories. So there.

Maybe that should only be half teal. After all, renown moron Mike Murphy (from what I heard) spent the entire World Series talking about the Cubs because "you can hear about the White Sox on every other show."

Lip Man 1
05-18-2008, 07:35 PM
Bears 1987:

According to his interview with WSI he is. You can read it for yourself here on the site. He requested a change because he had his fill of Bevington.

He said his greatest Sox memory was sitting in the stands the afternoon of July 1, 1990 watching Andy Hawkins no-hit the Sox...and lose 4-0.

Lip

SoxandtheCityTee
05-18-2008, 09:45 PM
The Tribune newspaper is one cog in the hype machine selling that idea, and I think good people like Sullivan and Morrissey are offended by the suggestion that they're unethical. Of course they're not, but their corporate bosses have put them in this no-win position.

Wasn't it one of those two who got called on the Cubbie carpet in the infamous "house organ" incident? And then was forced to deny it or shut up about it? Sure they're frustrated. Waiting out the ownership change while it drags on and on has to be a bummer. Resigning on principle is better for your head but bad for paying the bills. And there's a certain moral attraction to outlasting the bastards, if you haven't burned out by then.

I won't belabor it again, but the deepest disgrace of the Cubune pandering was the racism underlying its coverage of the Sox neighborhood, undercoverage of crime in Wrigleyville, etc. One thing you can say for Zell: everybody's money spends the same to him. He has not failed to notice the huge development near south and will not insult the newspaper's advertisers' customers in order to pump up the image of the team.

Lip Man 1
05-18-2008, 10:10 PM
It was Sullivan and McGrath who had a "discussion" with then Cubs President Andy McPhail over Sully's comments about the team and the way things were going. McGrath being Sullivan's boss had to go.

It did put Sully in a bad position, I talked with him about it and about covering the Cubs in general. He said that one thing at least, he always respected about Sox fans was that when the team was bad, they wanted to hear the truth...not so on the other side of town.

Lip

soxpride724
05-19-2008, 08:08 AM
Maybe that should only be half teal. After all, renown moron Mike Murphy (from what I heard) spent the entire World Series talking about the Cubs because "you can hear about the White Sox on every other show."
[/QUOTE]

Mike Murphy "claims" to be unbiassed (Even though he's an admitted Cub's fan). I can't stand listening to that jerk, it just sucks that there nothing on the radio between 12 and 2. ESPN might as well play lullabyes, cause what they have right now will put you to sleep.

C-Dawg
05-20-2008, 09:19 AM
After all, renown moron Mike Murphy (from what I heard) spent the entire World Series talking about the Cubs because "you can hear about the White Sox on every other show."

Oh yeah, remember either right before or right after the World Series, he was talking to Ed Farmer, but he (Murphy) clearly wasn't paying attention. Finally he confessed to Ed: he was distracted because he was watching the news wire for word of the Cubs signing Rafeal Furcal.

SOXPHILE
05-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Oh yeah, remember either right before or right after the World Series, he was talking to Ed Farmer, but he (Murphy) clearly wasn't paying attention. Finally he confessed to Ed: he was distracted because he was watching the news wire for word of the Cubs signing Rafeal Furcal.

Murphy was an absolute moron during that whole October -November 2005 time period. He kept saying that since the Sox are dominating all the other shows, he's going to talk Cubs, and got real smarmy about it, saying "Well that's too bad Sox fans, but there's more of us anyway..."

After the World Series, he opined that the Cubs, and not the Sox would be dominating all the off season talk, because they Sox are probably going to come back with pretty much the same team in 2006, while the Cubs are going to be making all these off season moves.

The DAY AFTER the Sox won the World Series, he comes on the air, and his first thoughts of the day are wondering who wrote the Cubs song Hey Hey Holy Mackerel. :rolleyes: