PDA

View Full Version : Would You Pursue Griffey?

ChiSoxPatF
05-16-2008, 08:08 AM
I am saying this off-season, not this summer, but I wanted to throw this out there since I've been mulling it over. Assuming he is a free agent after this season, would anyone here consider getting Griffey to replace Thome?

Here's why I say this:
- Thome seems to be on his last legs, literally and figuratively.
- You need a left-handed bat in the middle of the lineup to replace him.
- Griffey has said that the three places he wants to play are Seattle, Cincinnati, and Chicago.

Griffey still wants to play the OF, so you can put him in right and move Dye to the DH. Griffey could periodically DH to give his legs a rest and you can always put Dye back out into the OF.

I know our most pressing need is some speed and defense in the outfield, but you will need to replace Thome's left-handed bat somehow.

Just a thought - a penny for the rest of WSI's input since I've been following the Griffey saga for a bit and it just seems to make sense in light of Thome becoming 80 all of the sudden.

fquaye149
05-16-2008, 08:18 AM
If we could get him for a relatively cheap, relatively short contract it wouldn't be horrible.

Griffey would give us

--Power
--A left-handed bat
--limited range but a good glove
--decent OBP
--limited average.
--poor speed on the basepaths

The main problem I have with this, is he will likely command upwards of 10 million a year for multiple years. That's a little more than I'd like to pay for him.

mrfourni
05-16-2008, 08:19 AM
:hawk
Where's he going to play?

sorry, somebody was going to do it.

chaerulez
05-16-2008, 08:24 AM
His offense this year hasn't been anything to talk about, but he would be worth it for a year deal at a few million.

ondafarm
05-16-2008, 08:27 AM
Although he certainly wouldn't say it, somehow, I doubt Griffey would want to play for Guillen. I think he was speaking of Pinella.

The Immigrant
05-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Although he certainly wouldn't say it, somehow, I doubt Griffey would want to play for Guillen. I think he was speaking of Pinella.

One wouldn't expect this thread to spawn an anti-Ozzie post, but there you go.

The Immigrant
05-16-2008, 08:52 AM
If we're looking for a left-handed OF to sign as a free agent, Bobby Abreu, Adam Dunn and Raul Ibanez would all be better options than Griffey.

Griffey will be 40 years old next year. Maybe he could replace Harold Baines?

CLR01
05-16-2008, 09:10 AM
Finally, our first Griffey thread of the season.

KenBerryGrab
05-16-2008, 09:16 AM
Have you seen him play this year? Nothing. Left. In. Tank.

rdwj
05-16-2008, 09:22 AM
I think we need to get younger - No

JorgeFabregas
05-16-2008, 09:37 AM
No.

No, no, no, no, no. You think Thome's on his last legs? Griffey's SLG is even worse than Thome's so far this year.

KyWhiSoxFan
05-16-2008, 11:24 AM
This would be like another team asking if they should go after Thome.

kittle42
05-16-2008, 11:25 AM
This would be like another team asking if they should go after Thome.

Well played!

cws05champ
05-16-2008, 11:35 AM
:ralomar:
" Hey, what about me? I can be a left handed bat and be a great clubhouse guy"

Foulke You
05-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Finally, our first Griffey thread of the season.
Usually we don't get the first one until June. Griffey has easily been headed to the Sox more than any other player. I think Maggs got traded for Griffey at least twice while he was here.:D:

infohawk
05-16-2008, 12:21 PM
A few years ago, perhaps. Now, no. My humble opinion is that the Sox need to move away from their penchant for acquiring slow (or aging), middle-of-the-order sluggers. I'd like to see them move toward a more versatile lineup, where there isn't necessarily one DH, but two or three guys that can play a position well and DH. I think the Sox have the makings of that with the troika of Quentin, Swisher and Konerko. This would create opportunities to get another player (perhaps Anderson or Owens) into the lineup on a more regular basis.

AZChiSoxFan
05-16-2008, 12:23 PM

Once again, I'm too late. Dang!

jabrch
05-16-2008, 12:40 PM
No...I'd go with BA or Owens before giving up anything of value for him.

soxpride724
05-16-2008, 01:20 PM
If he wouldn't have any problems being a DH...yes, yes I would like him here. I actually wanted hi here in 05, but who knows how the WS would have played out.

thomas35forever
05-16-2008, 01:39 PM
It's not August 2005 anymore. Even if I were offered Griffey, I wouldn't take him. If the Sox did this, it would be the equivalent to the Cubs signing Edmonds.

spiffie
05-16-2008, 02:31 PM
No...I'd go with BA or Owens before giving up anything of value for him. I agree with jabrch.:thud::shocked: *goes to collect canned goods for the impending apocalypse.*

BadBobbyJenks
05-16-2008, 04:55 PM

Seriously though, where is he going to play?
Just what the Sox need, a struggling veteran...

sullythered
05-16-2008, 06:47 PM
I love '05 nostalgia.:tongue:

FarWestChicago
05-16-2008, 08:41 PM
One wouldn't expect this thread to spawn an anti-Ozzie post, but there you go.You can always count on farm. His obsession runs true and strong. :nod:

turners56
05-17-2008, 12:51 PM
I really don't know if I'd want a mid-30s power hitter past his prime to replace another mid-30s power hitter past his prime. Teams should strive to get younger, not older. Plus, in case Crede is staying, where is Fields going to play, are we going to just let this kid rot?

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2008, 01:54 PM
I think he's just a bit too old now.

As of right now, I think the Sox are set in the outfield for a few years, even if/when Dye leaves or moves to DH.

ChiSoxPatF
05-18-2008, 07:30 AM
My only response to most of these posts is that Owens, BA, or anyone seemingly in the farm system does not give you what you lose when Thome is gone - a middle-of-the-order left-handed bat. I obviously agree we need to get younger and Griffey may not necessarily be the answer in the middle of the lineup, but I don't think that addresses the need.

And the Griffey obsession some are mocking stems from the fact that we have, with the exception of the last two years, severely lacked that left-handed bat.

soxfanreggie
05-18-2008, 09:00 AM
No! He's going to demand too much money for what he's worth. Maybe if he was going for the minimum, I'd consider it. However, I know he wants a team he goes to to exercise his option for next year.

He can also be a huge jerk at times to fans. I know you hear reports of him being a great guy, and he can be; however, I've seen him treating fans like dirt (many times), especially when he was around Barry Larkin. Why do you ask have I seen him so much? I've had two relatives who worked for the Reds at points in their careers.

tick53
05-18-2008, 09:04 AM
Thanks but no thanks.

bigfoot
05-18-2008, 11:08 AM
In the World according to Giambi, JT and KG need to start modeling some golden thongs!