thomas35forever
05-16-2008, 01:22 AM
Start celebrating.:bandance:

HITMEN OF 77
05-16-2008, 01:23 AM
BIG win tonight. Way to go boys!! :bandance::gulp:

WhiteSox5187
Woo-hoo! Winning ugly! Way to split the series! A split calls for a banana, no?

:bandance::bandance:

oeo
Good job grinding this one out.

A series win in San Francisco this weekend, and this will turn out to be a very successful west coast trip.

Domeshot17
All things considered big win

AJ Gets on, Q gets him over, Thome gets him in, thats good baseball right there.

kaufsox
brush my teeth, watch the post game of a Sox win and go to bed. perfect night!:D:

sox1970
Huge split.

Hopefully they'll play good baseball in San Fran and come home a few games over .500.

The Dude
Start celebrating.:bandance:

Hell yeah! :gulp:

Pros: Javy, AJ, TCQ, Thome
Negs: Dye, Crede, Cabrera

Madscout
05-16-2008, 01:24 AM
Nice win. Love Thome finally landing one when we need him. TCQ and AJ were great all night. Great save by bobby. Javy deserved this one, though.

thomas35forever
I wanted a split in Anaheim. I got it. Now let's take 2 of 3 from the Giants.

johnnyg83
Remarkable split, gents. great job.

Dotell was nasty. What's his ERA since the first week?

LoveYourSuit
GET OFF THE DECK....as Farmio would say !!!

Man I have ulcers from these games.

As much as we compare to 2007, we can start comparing some of these wins to 2005 ... LOTS OF CARDIAC ACTIVITY.

Crede... please get your head out your ass.

Jim Thome, no one this board ever doubted you . :redneck

itsnotrequired
05-16-2008, 01:25 AM
A series win in San Francisco this weekend, and this will turn out to be a very successful west coast trip.

Hell, the Sox could go 1-2 in San Fran and it would still be a successful trip.

gobears1987
I'll be the first to raise my hand and say that I thought Ozzie should have pinch hit for Thome. I'm glad I was wrong.

I love that we are 4-3 on a road trip to the West Coast. We now have the 3 easiest games of the series ahead of us.

DickAllen72
AJ was the hero tonight! :bandance::bandance: Thome finally came through with one of his very rare late inning clutch hits. Now he can enjoy having his next three days off--I know I will!:tongue:

Great win! Let's sweep the Giants!!! :gulp:

LoveYourSuit
05-16-2008, 01:26 AM
Continue booing me ANA ...says AJ.

The Dude
Hell, the Sox could go 1-2 in San Fran and it would still be a successful trip.

Isn't it past your bedtime?

hi im skot
That was HUGE.

Man, that felt good.

ElevenUp
Great win. I had a bad feeling after the Angels tied it up. Great hustle by AJ on that double. Now I got to get to sleep!

itsnotrequired
05-16-2008, 01:27 AM
Isn't it past your bedtime?

Time has no meaning.

Dub25
05-16-2008, 01:28 AM
Should've taken 3 of 4 but I'll take a split. Lets get at 2 of 3 in SF and get this season rolling. The starting pitching has been good enough to take this division but the "O" needs to get on the same page. If they do, look out.

DrCrawdad
05-16-2008, 01:29 AM
Great win!

Now I can go to bed a happy man instead of angst filled.

spongyfungy
05-16-2008, 01:30 AM
I was half awake until Thome got that hit. great win.

I am happy for Jim right there. He needed that

voodoochile
05-16-2008, 01:31 AM
Team win that's for sure. Lines like Uribe's and Cabrera's speak volumes taking the O-fer yet managing to score and drive in runs. Hustle heart and determination. A win like this can really lift a team.

SF is struggling, we need to take at least 2 and get back home with a winning west coast trip.

:supernana:

:)

johnnyg83
05-16-2008, 01:31 AM
Was it Morrissey who wrote that he had a bad feeling about the West Coast Trip? He hasn't been the same since he left The Smiths.

I won't say I didn't feel the same but 4-3 after losing the first two in Anaheim is exceptional.

Our SP and Dotel, Linebrink, Jenks are sensatonal and give me a confidence. No way I said that last year.

SoxSpeed22
05-16-2008, 01:43 AM
What a great time for Thome to have his only hit of the series. 4 out of 7 in the west is always a good thing. The Sox made some bad mistakes, but they made up for them and at the end of the day, or next day, they get the win. I'm sure most of the team will be happy to see Rowand tomorrow. When was the last time the Sox played in San Francisco?

sox1970
05-16-2008, 01:47 AM
A sweep of the Giants would go a long way to a good record in interleague. Last year was pitiful. Got to go at least 10-8 this year. 3 from the Giants would be a great start.

whitesoxfan
05-16-2008, 01:48 AM
Really can't complain with going 4-3 out west. Let's take 2 out of 3 from San Francisco and I'll be real happy with how this road trip turned out.

kittle42
05-16-2008, 01:58 AM
Excellent win. I am very happy.

By the way, we should have a Crede-o-meter to see how much each pop-up and error brings next year's salary down.

Lip Man 1
05-16-2008, 01:59 AM
To those who get to see the Sox regularly, is Joe's defense poorer now then I remember?

It seems like he's making errors in key situations this season that he never seemed to do before the back injury.

Nice win getting the split after starting 0-2 in Anaheim.

Lip

Foulke You
05-16-2008, 02:04 AM
A sweep of the Giants would go a long way to a good record in interleague. Last year was pitiful. Got to go at least 10-8 this year. 3 from the Giants would be a great start.
I want a sweep in SF. Last year, the Sox didn't take advantage of the interleague schedule because they were in the midst of their June death spiral of '07. The Giants are one of the dregs of the NL and a team we need to fatten up on and get on a roll. I expect a sweep but 2 out of 3 is an absolute must. Does anyone know if we face Zito in this series? I know he is struggling but he always gives us trouble.

Some observations from tonight's game:

1) Too bad we couldn't get Javy the win. He was aces tonight as usual. My goodness has our starting pitching been awesome.

2) What's been up with the Joe Crede defensive lapses in the past few weeks? I think I've seen him make more errors this season than his previous 3 years with us combined. Is he still shaking off the rust perhaps?

3) That hit from Thome was huge. I felt happy for him and for the Sox. I think Thome still has some gas left in the tank and could still get on a roll.

4) Konerko needs to sit a few until that hand is feeling better. I was hurting watching him ice that thing up in the dugout. I admire his guts but I want a healthy hitter up there and not a Konerko at 50% grip in one hand.

chisoxfanatic
05-16-2008, 02:06 AM
Huge split.

Hopefully they'll play good baseball in San Fran and come home a few games over .500.
Absolutely huge! Especially considering they lost the first two games! Way to give it right back to the Halos!

I absolutely LOVE how AJ Pierzynski seems to hit well when being booed. Boo him more, guys! AJ will just maul your team! :D:

I love that we are 4-3 on a road trip to the West Coast. We now have the 3 easiest games of the series ahead of us.
Yea, but we can't take this series lightly. It probably won't be much of a difference that our pitcher will be hitting, though. We have to win this next series, definitely.
To those who get to see the Sox regularly, is Joe's defense poorer now then I remember?

It seems like he's making errors in key situations this season that he never seemed to do before the back injury.

This is his worst year defensively that I can remember, Lip. He seems to be a couple paces slower to things this year.

sox1970
05-16-2008, 02:09 AM
I want a sweep in SF. Last year, the Sox didn't take advantage of the interleague schedule because they were in the midst of their June death spiral of '07. The Giants are one of the dregs of the NL and a team we need to fatten up on and get on a roll. I expect a sweep but 2 out of 3 is an absolute must. Does anyone know if we face Zito in this series? I know he is struggling but he always gives us trouble.

Zito-Buehrle on Saturday

Yeah, the first nine games of interleague are SF, Colorado, and Pittsburgh.

Colorado is down this year. They need to go 7-2 in these nine games. Give them a little buffer zone in case some bad stuff happens in the Cubs-Dodgers-Cubs portion.

JB98
05-16-2008, 02:10 AM
The Sox got excellent work from their bullpen tonight. Thornton, unfortunately, gets tagged with a blown save. That wasn't his fault there in the seventh. He got his ground ball, and that's all we can ask.

Dotel was able to put out the fire in the seventh, and he pitched an impressive eighth inning. Good job by Jenks to keep the two speedsters off base ahead of Guerrero in the ninth. It is never really easy to retire Vladimir Guerrero with the game on the line, but the task becomes a little simpler when you don't have to worry about basestealers.

I'm very glad for Thome. I know many of you here enjoy bashing him, but I still believe in him. The 2008 White Sox are not going to be successful unless he gets going. Hopefully, this base hit tonight will relieve some of the pressure mentally for Jim.

Chicken Dinner
05-16-2008, 02:10 AM

Lip

You might be right but the play tonight was tough with the runner right in front of him. We gave the Angels two free outs and it cost us 2 runs which landed Javy a no decision. Thanks for AJ and Jim pulling this one out. You have to like the quality starts we're getting. Also, very interesting strike zone tonight.

Noneck
05-16-2008, 02:13 AM

Lip

I have been wondering that also. I wish Melton would talk about it since he was in a similar situation.

Foulke You
05-16-2008, 02:33 AM
Zito-Buehrle on Saturday

Yeah, the first nine games of interleague are SF, Colorado, and Pittsburgh.

Colorado is down this year. They need to go 7-2 in these nine games. Give them a little buffer zone in case some bad stuff happens in the Cubs-Dodgers-Cubs portion.
I agree. 7W-2L is doable in the first round of interleague.

Damn, I was hoping we'd miss Zito. I'd rather the Sox face Lincicome than Zito. The guy is 0W-7L with an E.R.A. over 6.00 but I fear him because of our past struggles against him as well as the fact that our offense withers and dies against lefty soft tossers.

PicktoCLick72
05-16-2008, 03:02 AM
I'll eat my crow tonight aas I did not think Thome had a prayer against KRod. Well, it's good to be wrong. Maybe he'll hit a couple into the Bay. Keep it going.

TDog
05-16-2008, 03:17 AM
I agree. 7W-2L is doable in the first round of interleague.

Damn, I was hoping we'd miss Zito. I'd rather the Sox face Lincicome than Zito. The guy is 0W-7L with an E.R.A. over 6.00 but I fear him because of our past struggles against him as well as the fact that our offense withers and dies against lefty soft tossers.

The Sox will miss Lincecum, who pitched Thursday afternoon. Lincecum has been nasty this year with great offspeed stuff to complement his great hard stuff. Zito's best start was in his last game, but he still labored. All things considered, I would rather miss Lincecum than Zito.

I plan take the BART into the city to catch the Saturday and Sunday games. It will be interesting to see how the Giants fans greet Zito.

Great win tonight. The suspended Orioles game seemed to send the Sox into a severe offensive funk, but there have been signs of life on this roadtrip.

Grzegorz
05-16-2008, 05:27 AM

There are no easy games.

Frater Perdurabo
05-16-2008, 06:50 AM
I'm really glad the Sox won. I'm happy for Thome, too. No one would be more pleased than me if he could get hot for the next, oh, five months.

Bucky F. Dent
05-16-2008, 06:54 AM
Hey, look at that. We don't suck!:D:

Let's go sweep the Giants!

Railsplitter
05-16-2008, 07:19 AM
Two in a row earns two nanners :bandance::bandance:

Still, Thome left five runners on base. He still needs to hit more.

KyWhiSoxFan
05-16-2008, 07:33 AM
Crede has not been playing well. If he can't do it in the field, his value is greatly diminished. He has eight errors this year already, and aside from a terrific first two or three weeks of the season, he hasn't been doing it at the plate. He needs to get his act together.

It was good to see Thome get a game winner, but he also needs to get going. He's killing the Sox in the middle of the lineup, like in the second inning when he left the bases loaded. With the bases loaded and the shift on, why can't he just slap the ball to the left side?

KnightSox
05-16-2008, 08:09 AM
A.J is smoking right now, don't move him in the lineup.

The Immigrant
05-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Lines like Uribe's and Cabrera's speak volumes taking the O-fer yet managing to score and drive in runs. Hustle heart and determination.

We give Uribe a lot of grief on these boards, but we don't win yesterday if he doesn't beat the DP throw and then take second on Guerrero's throw home.

jenn2080
05-16-2008, 09:11 AM
We give Uribe a lot of grief on these boards, but we don't win yesterday if he doesn't beat the DP throw and then take second on Guerrero's throw home.

I am Juan's biggest supporter.

balke
05-16-2008, 09:40 AM
I missed the end, but good to see it ended up in a split series. The Sox are slowly making up some of that 6 game losing streak. Hopefully San Fran can help them win 2 out of 3 at least before Cleveland.

Jerko
05-16-2008, 09:59 AM
I usually hate putting closers in tie games, but I'm glad the Angels did it last night.

BringBackBlkJack
05-16-2008, 10:02 AM

I wholeheartedly agree. At first it looked funny to have AJ in the 2-hole but it has produced great results ....

Maybe that Ozzie Guillen knows a thing or two after all......

BadBobbyJenks
05-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Just another reason why I love sports and especially baseball. After 2 games in Anaheim we were the worst team in baseball, 2 games later sox fans are back on the wagon calling for a sweep in San Francisco.

MushMouth
05-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Does Tomko still pitch for the Giants?

Jerko
05-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Does Tomko still pitch for the Giants?

royals

MushMouth
05-16-2008, 10:25 AM
royals

thanks

hopefully AJ has a good series

I'm sure he'll catch some boo's tonight

Cat Thief
05-16-2008, 10:26 AM

He's batting .198.

Let's not kid ourselves.

kittle42
05-16-2008, 10:50 AM
He's batting .198.

Let's not kid ourselves.

Thome/Uribe/Swisher - The Three Mendozas.

Hitmen77
05-16-2008, 10:51 AM
After that dome road trip fiasco, the Sox have done fairly well: 2 of 3 from the Twins and Mariners and now a 4 game split in Anaheim. Not bad considering our offense is still sputtering.

They need to take this series against SF. After that, it's 9 straight games vs. the Indians and Angels and then 4 against the Rays (who have won 8 of their last 10).

VeeckAsInWreck
05-16-2008, 10:56 AM
thanks

hopefully AJ has a good series

I'm sure he'll catch some boo's tonight

If anyone should get boo's it should be the Giants front office. They're the ones that traded Joe Nathan, Francisco Liriano and Boof Bonser for AJ.

Stringer
05-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Just another reason why I love sports and especially baseball. After 2 games in Anaheim we were the worst team in baseball, 2 games later sox fans are back on the wagon calling for a sweep in San Francisco.

You aren't lying, either. Thats why I've can't understand why people ride a rollercoaster throughout the season.

Can't get too high when the Sox win and you can't get too low when they lose. We still have alot of baseball to play

:D:

ondafarm
05-16-2008, 11:34 AM

First, I never said we are worse than the Giants.

Second, there are good easy wins and losses and then there are endurance battles which cost a team a lot more in energy down the road.

Third, what still angers me about the White Sox is the games that could be won that are squandered. Sure, we took two of three in Seattle at their home, but we could have swept them and should have swept them. Beating up the weaker teams, and Seattle is last in the league, is one part of winning championships.

October26
05-16-2008, 01:16 PM

I read the entire thread as I like to hear what other Sox fans are thinking after a nice win like that one last night. I think many of you made good points, but KnightSox post caught my eye. This is a good point - since AJ has been moved up in the lineup, he IS smokin'. Keep it going, bad boy!

Oh, and happy friday everybody - we survived this "nasty west coast trip, white sox fans sleep deprivation week." :bandance:
Hopefully, there are more good things to come for our Sox in the games in SF this weekend.

jabrch
05-16-2008, 01:29 PM

I think his belt is his biggest supporter...needs to keep his pants up.

SoxGirl4Life
05-16-2008, 01:34 PM
If I'm looking at this right, in our division, (as of today), the Sox have played the fewest home games (16) and the Indians and Twins have played the most, with 26 and 24 respectively.

I know we've had a couple of rain-outs, and the suspended game, but knowing we're going to have a home-heavy schedule in June, I'm feeling really optimistic right now

jabrch
05-16-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm feeling really optimistic right now

1.5 games out...no reason not to be optimistic.

whitesox901
05-16-2008, 02:55 PM
This west coast trip is going as i figured so far, 2/3 from the M's, split with LAA, and im lookin for 2/3 from San Fran

sox1970
05-16-2008, 03:00 PM
This west coast trip is going as i figured so far, 2/3 from the M's, split with LAA, and im lookin for 2/3 from San Fran

Considering the Indians have the easiest interleague schedule in the league, I'd like to see the Sox sweep the Giants. This "winning series" bull**** has to go. Good teams make the playoffs because they get on winning streaks during the season. This would be the time to do it.

Hitmen77
05-16-2008, 03:15 PM
If I'm looking at this right, in our division, (as of today), the Sox have played the fewest home games (16) and the Indians and Twins have played the most, with 26 and 24 respectively.

I know we've had a couple of rain-outs, and the suspended game, but knowing we're going to have a home-heavy schedule in June, I'm feeling really optimistic right now

I still hold out hope that our offense will finally get going and that we'll continue to get the same quality pitching.

I know alot has been said about the Sox being a slow team. Our offense is far from perfect. But we've got to do better than Konerko, Thome, OC, and Swisher all going 0 for 4 or 1 for 5.

If we can just get our regulars to hit at their career norms, then I think that plus our pitching will keep us in this race.

We need Konerko and Thome to hit better than .200. I hope this is just a slow start for them. If Thome really is washed up and Konerko hurt for a while, then we're in big trouble.