PDA

View Full Version : White Sox retro marketing?

nvc1019
05-15-2008, 11:18 PM
I was just curious why the White Sox really don't market a retro night like the Angels 70's nite are doing? I know we do have a 70's nite but why not go all out have the team wear a 70's uniform? They have 3 options to choose from! It's funny we started the "turn back the clock game" in the late 80's early 90's. although now everybody is doing it,the marketing should take a hint. the retro jersey/jacket is huge right now! why not have some fun with it,especially since the White Sox have the most uniform changes in history!! if this is a repost I apologize my second only post...nvc1019

DumpJerry
05-15-2008, 11:30 PM
For a team to wear throw-back uniforms at a game, they have to submit a request to MLB for approval ONE YEAR prior to the game in question. There are a lot of clearances that have to come from the lawyers in Licensing.

By the way, we do have a 80's Night this season (July 18) and the always popular Elvis Night. Does anyone else do Elvis Night? Is that not the best promo all year other than GAME ONE WORLD SERIES Night?

EDIT: I forgot about Halfway to St. Pat's Day. We're awesome!

WhiteSox5187
05-15-2008, 11:48 PM
MLB does make you jump through a bunch of hoops...but Brooks Boyer has said that the Sox don't want commerorate teams that didn't win anything. So even though the '72 and '77 White Sox might be special to us the fans, as far as the team is concerned they aren't worth commemorating because they didn't win anything.

soxfanreggie
05-16-2008, 12:24 AM
I think MLB makes teams jump through hoops on almost anything. One year advance requests to wear retro jerseys is dumb, especially if it's just for one game.

ksimpson14
05-16-2008, 12:27 AM
the state on the sleeve is a nice touch! Mark your territory! More teams should DO IT! Having all the fans out there wearing the same hat is LA-M.E., stop the hat giveaway and save some costs for somebody.

I want Mags back
05-16-2008, 12:45 AM
the state on the sleeve is a nice touch! Mark your territory! More teams should DO IT!

they were the "California" Angels at one point

Nellie_Fox
05-16-2008, 01:34 AM
I know I'm a curmudgeon about these things, but if the players aren't going to go with the program on these "retro" nights, they should just can it. NOBODY wore their pants down on their shoe tops in 1971. Those uniforms just look wrong stacked on the shoes or spatted. :geezer:

HangWiffum
05-16-2008, 01:51 AM
For a team to wear throw-back uniforms at a game, they have to submit a request to MLB for approval ONE YEAR prior to the game in question. There are a lot of clearances that have to come from the lawyers in Licensing.

By the way, we do have a 80's Night this season (July 18) and the always popular Elvis Night. Does anyone else do Elvis Night? Is that not the best promo all year other than GAME ONE WORLD SERIES Night?

Where were you sitting 5-6-08?

DSpivack
05-16-2008, 02:13 AM

What about Mullet Night?

TDog
05-16-2008, 02:39 AM
the state on the sleeve is a nice touch! Mark your territory! More teams should DO IT! ....

Ironic, considering that the Angels have never even owned their own metro area. Now, instead of calling themselves the California Angels and trying to claim an entire state that is predominately indifferent to them, the Angels name themselves after a city where they don't play their home games.

WhiteSox5187
05-16-2008, 03:12 AM
I know I'm a curmudgeon about these things, but if the players aren't going to go with the program on these "retro" nights, they should just can it. NOBODY wore their pants down on their shoe tops in 1971. Those uniforms just look wrong stacked on the shoes or spatted. :geezer:
While you might very well be a curmudgeon you are one precent right about this. NOBODY should wear a baseball uniform with the pants down to their shoe tops. That's just not the way it should be worn dammit!

The Critic
05-16-2008, 03:47 AM
MLB does make you jump through a bunch of hoops...but Brooks Boyer has said that the Sox don't want commerorate teams that didn't win anything. So even though the '72 and '77 White Sox might be special to us the fans, as far as the team is concerned they aren't worth commemorating because they didn't win anything.

If that's their reasoning, I think that's flawed reasoning.
A "70's night" isn't commemorating any particular Sox team, it's a nostalgia night for an era in general. Wearing any appropriate uniform from that era would work, and isn't IMO saying "Wow, that 1975 club was wonderful, huh?".

MISoxfan
05-16-2008, 05:53 AM
Ironic, considering that the Angels have never even owned their own metro area. Now, instead of calling themselves the California Angels and trying to claim an entire state that is predominately indifferent to them, the Angels name themselves after a city where they don't play their home games.

This isn't 2002 any longer, do the Angels have to put 40,000 fans in the seats for an entire decade before people stop acting like they aren't popular?

The Angels are huge among younger fans, at least near me.

DumpJerry
05-16-2008, 08:23 AM
Where were you sitting 5-6-08?
Sec. 115, R5, seats 6&7. Were you in the 'hood?

alohafri
05-16-2008, 08:32 AM

I love Elvis Night! For me, it is the best promotional night of the year. Tailgating is great...you walk around, see the Elvis impersonators, hear all sorts of Elvis music coming from nearly every car. We had a commemorative Elvis Pez Set as our hood ornament last year.

The one I miss is Rat Pack Nigt.

TDog
05-16-2008, 12:43 PM
This isn't 2002 any longer, do the Angels have to put 40,000 fans in the seats for an entire decade before people stop acting like they aren't popular?

The Angels are huge among younger fans, at least near me.

The Dodgers are more popular in Los Angeles and always have been. It's not just a matter of attendance, but of consciousness. The Padres are more popular in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The Angels aren't disliked in the San Diego area the way the Dodgers are. They aren't hated in Northern California the way the Dodgers are. I live in A's country (after growing up despising the A's) and there is a dislike for the Angels here, but it doesn't approach the intensity of the Dodgers-Giants rivalry. Much of California is indifferent to the Angels.

California is a big place. The Angels didn't own the state when they wore the state on their sleeve. They have a following within Southern California, but it's silly that they want to claim to represent Los Angeles when they don't even play in Los Angeles.

AzureJazzMan
05-16-2008, 12:52 PM
I love Elvis Night! For me, it is the best promotional night of the year. Tailgating is great...you walk around, see the Elvis impersonators, hear all sorts of Elvis music coming from nearly every car. We had a commemorative Elvis Pez Set as our hood ornament last year.

The one I miss is Rat Pack Nigt.

I couldn't agree more about "Rat Pack Night", due to me being lucky enough to perform at it, the 3 years it was held.

The topic was broached before on these here boards, so I called up Brooks and his staff, and was told, that they aren't against it. The problem is, none of their sponsors wanted to sponsor it.

From what I understand all of their sponsors get a list of potential "event games" and they choose what they want to sponsor. "Rat Pack Night" has been on the list, but, no one wants to sponsor it. :whiner::angry:

alohafri
05-16-2008, 01:27 PM
From what I understand all of their sponsors get a list of potential "event games" and they choose what they want to sponsor. "Rat Pack Night" has been on the list, but, no one wants to sponsor it. :whiner::angry:

Someone should get in contact with Harrah's or Empress!

soxpride724
05-16-2008, 01:28 PM
While some of the White Sox teams of the 60s and 70s were not that good, some of those uniforms were pretty cool. I think they should do throwbacks a few times a year. The teams may not be something to celebrate, but it's a neat marketing tool.
With that being said, I just got my Dick Allen jersey, and 75 red cap for the next home game:bandance:

whitesox901
05-16-2008, 02:49 PM
By the way, we do have a 80's Night this season

Any info of wheather or not their gonna wear winnin ugly jerseys?

soxpride724
05-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Any info of wheather or not their gonna wear winnin ugly jerseys?

They are actually gonna wear them a few days after 80s night. I believe the promotion is 80s kids jersey giveaway. That kinda sucks seeing that I have tickets to 80snight but oh well.

whitesox901
05-16-2008, 03:12 PM
They are actually gonna wear them a few days after 80s night. I believe the promotion is 80s kids jersey giveaway. That kinda sucks seeing that I have tickets to 80snight but oh well.

I cant wait, thats gonna be sweet :D:

MisterB
05-16-2008, 06:15 PM

They became the California Angels because in 1965 the city of Anaheim meant nothing to anyone outside of Orange Co. Similar thing with the Arlington Rangers, the Bloomington Twins, or the Dade County Marlins.

TDog
05-16-2008, 08:05 PM
They became the California Angels because in 1965 the city of Anaheim meant nothing to anyone outside of Orange Co. Similar thing with the Arlington Rangers, the Bloomington Twins, or the Dade County Marlins.

And the Diamondbacks are the Arizona Diamondbacks because Phoenix means nothing outside of the state of Maricopa, and the Rockies are the Colorado Rockies because people associate Denver with Maynard G. Krebbs. People couldn't place such cities on a map readily, as they could, say, Oakland in 1968.

Your explanation is only partially correct. Politics and public relations plays a huge role in naming baseball teams. Teams don't actually play in Tampa Bay. They would sink.

The Diamondbacks wanted to be Arizona's team, so they train in Tucson and maintain a AAA team there while naming themselves for the state. The Texas Rangers play in a city equidistant between Dallas and Fort Worth. The minor league team that preceded them played in Turnpike Stadium and called themselves the Dallas-Fort Worth Spurs. The Rangers wanted to continue to represent the metroplex as well as north Texas. Minneapolis and St. Paul had separate minor league teams, but they patched up their rivalries to shake hands across the Mississippi River in the old logo. And they did come to represent the state.

The Angels started out as the Los Angeles Angels when they played home games in Wrigley Field. When they moved to Anaheim, they couldn't call themselves the Los Angeles Angels anymore. The state on their uniforms never established ownership. Now, for marketing purposes, they believe they can claim to be an LA team.

Madscout
05-16-2008, 08:38 PM
I said it the night of the game, and I'll say it again, I wish the sox had played along. Gags like that always are more fun for the fans if the other team plays along. It was nice that the sox let the angels mess with their pictures, but it would have been great to bust out some 70's unis. That shows good will to other fans, and a general spirit of fun about your team that baseball needs.

I want Mags back
05-16-2008, 10:16 PM
And the Diamondbacks are the Arizona Diamondbacks because Phoenix means nothing outside of the state of Maricopa, and the Rockies are the Colorado Rockies because people associate Denver with Maynard G. Krebbs. People couldn't place such cities on a map readily, as they could, say, Oakland in 1968.

Your explanation is only partially correct. Politics and public relations plays a huge role in naming baseball teams. Teams don't actually play in Tampa Bay. They would sink.

The Diamondbacks wanted to be Arizona's team, so they train in Tucson and maintain a AAA team there while naming themselves for the state. The Texas Rangers play in a city equidistant between Dallas and Fort Worth. The minor league team that preceded them played in Turnpike Stadium and called themselves the Dallas-Fort Worth Spurs. The Rangers wanted to continue to represent the metroplex as well as north Texas. Minneapolis and St. Paul had separate minor league teams, but they patched up their rivalries to shake hands across the Mississippi River in the old logo. And they did come to represent the state.

The Angels started out as the Los Angeles Angels when they played home games in Wrigley Field. When they moved to Anaheim, they couldn't call themselves the Los Angeles Angels anymore. The state on their uniforms never established ownership. Now, for marketing purposes, they believe they can claim to be an LA team.

:tongue:

A.BunkerHereLord
05-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Do you think anyone will have Mariah Carey night since she just passed up Elvis for most No.1 singles?

Lip Man 1
05-17-2008, 01:20 AM
Mags:

Don't know if you thought that was a joke or not but seriously before Anaheim Stadium was completed in the mid 60's, the Angels first played at Wrigley Field in L.A. then shared Dodger Stadium with the Dodgers.

The Cubs minor league farm team was located in L.A. hence the field was named Wrigley Field.

The old Home Run Derby shows were filmed there as well as the original Twilight Zone episode The Mighty Casey and just about every Hollywood baseball movie of the 1950's including the original Angels in the Outfield, The Kid From Left Field and It Happens Every Spring.

Lip

Medford Bobby
05-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Mags:

Don't know if you thought that was a joke or not but seriously before Anaheim Stadium was completed in the mid 60's, the Angels first played at Wrigley Field in L.A. then shared Dodger Stadium with the Dodgers.

The Cubs minor league farm team was located in L.A. hence the field was named Wrigley Field.

The old Home Run Derby shows were filmed there as well as the original Twilight Zone episode The Mighty Casey and just about every Hollywood baseball movie of the 1950's including the original Angels in the Outfield, The Kid From Left Field and It Happens Every Spring.

Lip

Those Home Run Derbys are a great way for the young generation to enjoy the sweet swing of Gus Triandos.......:o:

Brian26
05-17-2008, 01:04 PM
The old Home Run Derby shows were filmed there

Speaking of which, I believe I read those are all available now on dvd.

It's Dankerific
05-17-2008, 07:25 PM
I took pictures of alot of the Sox players on the Angel Stadium scoreboard on 70s night. Any suggestions of where to upload it so others can see them?

Madscout
05-17-2008, 07:56 PM
I took pictures of alot of the Sox players on the Angel Stadium scoreboard on 70s night. Any suggestions of where to upload it so others can see them?
The angel broadcast, although bland with boaring sportscasters, was cool enough to show some. I would love for you to upload AJ's because it was hilarious.

cards press box
05-17-2008, 07:59 PM
People couldn't place such cities on a map readily, as they could, say, Oakland in 1968.

I wouldn't be surprised if that were true but I would point out that when the NHL expanded from 6 to 12 teams in 1967-1968, the team added in the Bay Area was originally the Oakland Seals and, within a year or two, became the California Golden Seals. Around the same time, the San Fransciso Warriors of the NBA became the Golden State Warriors.

My favorite is Dog Day, the one game all year when no fireworks explode. For what it's worth, I would favor any throwback night that brought the red pinstripes back for a game.

It's Dankerific
05-17-2008, 11:40 PM
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AbtGLZq0btWLkI (http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AbtGLZq0btWLkI)

Hopefully you can see some pics of the 1970s sox with this link. all are copyright me, all rights reserved and all that =)

nvc1019
05-18-2008, 07:45 PM
I noticed that the Brewers every Friday nite home game they wear the 80's retro and the Phillies on Sunday's at home wear a 50's retro. Does MLB have to give permission a year in advance to make this happen? It would be great if the White Sox would do every Friday nite home game rertro! Any suggestions out there? ...:cool:

Brian26
05-18-2008, 07:50 PM
I noticed that the Brewers every Friday nite home game they wear the 80's retro and the Phillies on Sunday's at home wear a 50's retro.

Also, the Blue Jays wear an updated version of their 70's blue road uniforms for Friday night home games.

Brian26
05-18-2008, 07:53 PM

The WSI Photo Gallery:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/gallery/index.php

Upload feature is in the top right corner.

Brian26
05-18-2008, 07:54 PM
The angel broadcast, although bland with boaring sportscasters, was cool enough to show some.

I can't stand Rex Hudler, but he's far from boring or bland.

It's Dankerific
05-18-2008, 11:06 PM
The WSI Photo Gallery:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/gallery/index.php

Upload feature is in the top right corner.

Well, I tried to upload some pics. i couldnt get it to do anything other than one at a time. i uploaded 3. if anyone wants to tell me whether it worked or not and how to upload multiple at once (cntrl did nothing..)

i put it under current sox players.