PDA

View Full Version : Watkins and the Twins

Cheryl
05-02-2002, 06:28 PM
I almost put this in the Parking Lot, as it's not Sox-specific, but what is going on in Minny? Here's the url:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2002/05/02/twins_watkins_ap/

And an excerpt:

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) -- Donald Watkins insists he has enough money to buy the Minnesota Twins, who say he hasn't proved it in the six months since he started his bid.

Watkins, bidding to become baseball's first controlling minority owner, said the Twins never allowed him to examine their financial records and didn't respond to his offer.

"Any interested party with adequate resources to consummate a transaction has and will be given the opportunity to meet with the owners' designee to discuss a transaction," Twins president Jerry Bell said in a letter dated Wednesday that he sent to a pair of state legislators. "To date, no such parties have come forward."

Paulwny
05-02-2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
Watkins, bidding to become baseball's first controlling minority owner, said the Twins never allowed him to examine their financial records and didn't respond to his offer.
;

I'm waiting for some bean counter to get really pissed about something and write an expose about the financial records of sports teams.

Cheryl
05-02-2002, 07:03 PM
I'm of the opinion Selig is behind this. He wants the Twins contracted, by god, they'll contract.

That man is ruining baseball.