PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Doing Yankee Stadium

BRDSR
05-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Alright, we all hate the Yankees, I know. But they're tearing down Yankee Stadium after this season, and what kind of a baseball fan has never been to Yankee Stadium?

For those who have been to Yankee Stadium, what is the best way to experience it? Keep in mind, money IS somewhat of an object. I've been given a $100 maximum per ticket, which sounds like a lot, but judging by what I've seen on eBay and StubHub, that's not really going to get me fantastic seats or anything.

So I've already ruled out the Bleachers. There's no alcohol there and you can't get around to see Monument Park. The no alcohol thing isn't a deal breaker, but I'd like to see what there is to see at Yankee Stadium if I'm only going to go once. Their website makes it seem like you can get to Monument Park as long as you don't sit in the bleachers. Are there any other movement restrictions I should be aware of, such as no 100 level access for 500 level tickets at Sox Park?

Also, where should we go around the park? We're planning to go to a Saturday 1:00 PM game, so it would really be after the game that we would go somewhere.

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: Specifically, what can I expect from Tier Reserved MVP Section 1? There appears to be a good deal on tickets in Row X available.

DumpJerry
05-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Don't wear Red Sox stuff, your health insurance won't cover you. I'm not saying you own any, but want to make sure.

ksimpson14
05-15-2008, 11:29 PM
Make sure she's drunk first

I've heard the upper deck is horrible if you don't like heights. Don't go up high if you hate that steep factor. I think you'd be fine with that limit, get to StubHub, find some codes to kill the shipping, etc. The more you wait though, the worse it'll probably be 'lightbulb'

DSpivack
05-16-2008, 01:05 AM
I'll be there next friday night (woo hoo!) vs. Seattle. If you go early on enough in the season and as long as you're not seeing the Red Sox, you should be able to find something reasonable. I think my friend got Tier Reserved for $25.

Bucky F. Dent
05-16-2008, 06:00 AM
I'll be there the first weekend in August. Neighbor has a connection to tix through his work.

Can't wait!

delben91
05-16-2008, 06:37 AM
The upper deck is pretty steep. Didn't bother me, but I can definitely see how it would bother some that don't especially enjoy heights.

Also, if you want to see monument park, be there early. Say 30 minutes before the gates open. They have a limit (either number of persons or based on time) where they cut off access. I know I once got in line when the gates opened and didn't come close to making it in.

The stadium isn't much to speak of inside, but I definitely had my heart skip a beat the first time I saw the field itself. Something about the history of that dirt and grass and the players that fans had seen play there is special.

DumpJerry
05-16-2008, 07:27 AM
I've heard the upper deck is horrible if you don't like heights. Don't go up high if you hate that steep factor.

The upper deck is pretty steep. Didn't bother me, but I can definitely see how it would bother some that don't especially enjoy heights.
:moron
Sox fans complaining about a steep upper deck is like a fish complaining about too much water.

jenn2080
05-16-2008, 08:56 AM
It is one of the worst upper decks. I was scared ****less. We got some good tix in between left and 3rd for like $85 a ticket.

05-16-2008, 09:28 AM
Hi, I registered because I can help with this topic, having visited Yankee Stadium last summer for a White Sox game.

Recommendations:

1. Take a tour of the stadium if possible ... The Yankee Stadium tour is the best way to see everything that is Yankee Stadium. When you're at the game itself, you really can't get around the stadium all that well. It's basically like a big tunnel that encircles the stadium and their ushers are pretty diligent about checking tickets. So to get a true insiders experience, opt for a tour, which they conduct just about every day. Details can be found on the Yankees website.

2. The upper deck is indeed steep. So if heights bother you, definitely opt for the lower deck. Yes, tickets are expensive, the seats are cramped too. We opted for upper deck seats ourselves because our goal was basically to say we'd "been to Yankee Stadium".

3. Beer is very expensive, and kind of warm to boot.

4. Take the subway to the game. Parking is very difficult and expensive. While it's by no means a joy to ride the NY subway, it's the fastest, easiest, and most economical way to get to the game. It'll take about 25 minutes from midtown Manhattan.

5. Of historical note ... if you happen to sit in the upper deck outfield, as we did, you can look over the top of Yankee Stadium, westward across the Hudson River. You'll see a grouping of high rise apartment buildings almost immediately on the west bank of the Hudson. That is the former site of the Polo Grounds, where the NY Giants called home through 1957 and where the Mets played in 1962 and 1963 until Shea Stadium was built. If you're a baseball history buff, there are a few non descript markers in and around the grounds and the playground on the site is named after Willie Mays. You can reach that area by a subway line as well, but be cautioned ... it isn't what I'd call the safest area in the world but it's much much better than it used to be in the early 80's when we last visited.

6. As far as bars/restaurants around Yankee Stadium ... not much to speak of. There are 1-2 non descript places across the street, quite near the subway stop, but they're nothing special.

7. I would recommend a couple of very cool places in NYC (Manhattan). The first is McSorley's Ale House, I want to say 7th Ave. in lower Manhattan. You can find their website via Google. What a marvelous place. It's the oldest tavern in NYC, dating back to the 1850's. Sawdust on the floor, very historical obviously, and the food is inexpensive and not bad. Two kinds of beer, both on tap ... McSorley's and McSorley's Dark. The second place is the Heartland Brewery on the ground floor of the Empire State Building. It's fairly lively and the food is good and not outrageous.

Also, regarding McSorley's, if you walk east from there about 6 blocks, there's a place I think called the B Street Tavern, I want to say on 6th Avenue. If you're a fan of the Godfather movies, this was the site of the scene in Godfather Part 2 where Frank Pentangelli walked in to meet the Rizzato brothers and almost got strangled. The bar looks pretty much the same and it's a relaxing place to hang out for a while, and there are numerous beers on tap.

Another good place to go for baseball fans is Mickey Mantle's, which is on 59th St. on the south border of Central Park. It's good for lunch and as you would imagine there's all sorts of baseball memorabilia in the place.

Lastly, bring your walking shoes. New York is a city to experience by walking. We strolled over to the Ed Sullivan Theater after lunch at Mickey Mantle's, it's only a few blocks. The Ed Sullivan Theater is where Letterman does his show and is, of course, where the Beatles played. Literally steps away, right around the corner, is the former site of the famous Studio 54, of 1970's disco fame. It's now a cosmetology school but the outside hasn't changed a bit.

If there's anything else I come up with or if there are questions, I'll pop back in and try to help.

05-16-2008, 09:58 AM
One additional great area to visit in New York City ...

A perfect place for an early evening stroll is Bleecker Street, in the heart of Greenwich Village, which is not that far from McSorley's mentioned above.

There are all sorts of small restaurants, music clubs, bars, etc.

For the music historian, this is where some of the famous rock and folk clubs from the 60's were. The buildings are still there. Two of note are the former Cafe Au Go Go at 152 Bleecker Street and The Bitter End at 147 Bleecker. I think The Bitter End is still thriving.

Among those who played at Cafe Au Go Go in the 60's ... Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Stephen Stills, and Cream. The Bitter End has an equally long list of famous performers.

roylestillman
05-16-2008, 01:01 PM
2906 speaks the truth...

One additional note - take the subway to the stadium. Traffic is a nightmare and the New York subway is just something you have to do once in your life.

and that upper deck makes The Cell's seem like the Great Plains.

Tannerfan
05-16-2008, 01:21 PM
I actually love the upper deck in Yankee Stadium. It's a bit steep but it gives you a great sight line, just like the Cell. Also the fans up there know their baseball. No hedge fund managers trying to impress other hedge fund managers with the size of their funds. Sitting in the upper deck is much better than sitting down the line. Just one mans opinion, but I'll go upper deck anytime, anywhere.

BRDSR
05-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Many thanks for the insight guys, especially 2906 (Oh, and welcome to WSI). Keep 'em coming if you think of any, I've got a day or two before I have to make a final decision.

palehozenychicty
05-17-2008, 10:44 AM
I only live about ten minutes to the stadium by bus, and I recommend that you take the 4 or D train. Driving is not a plausible idea. The 4 train also gets overground and rolls by the stadium on the way to the platform. Don't eat much at the stadium cause the food is standard garbage.

For dining options before and after the game, if you're on the 4, stop at 86th street in the Upper East Side and walk to second ave for plenty of dining.

You can also catch the D train from 59th street if you're on the west side, and plenty of dining is available around 56th and 57th streets, Columbus Circle has Whole Foods among other expensive spots like Per Se and Masa. If you want detailed options, PM me.

TheVulture
05-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Don't wear Red Sox stuff, your health insurance won't cover you. I'm not saying you own any, but want to make sure.

My only experience is second-hand through youtube clips but I'd say don't wear any non-Yankees baseball paraphernalia. And don't visit the outfield seating area.

nasox
05-18-2008, 01:19 AM
And don't visit the outfield seating area.

Why not? I've been told the bleachers are pretty fun.

palehozenychicty
05-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Why not? I've been told the bleachers are pretty fun.
They are fun, but don't wear opposing gear.

Jjav829
05-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Hi, I registered because I can help with this topic, having visited Yankee Stadium last summer for a White Sox game.

Recommendations:
If there's anything else I come up with or if there are questions, I'll pop back in and try to help.

Welcome, and Thanks!

I'm one of those who will be making their first/only trip to Yankee Stadium this season, and it's also my first trip to New York, so I greatly appreciate suggestions on anything and everything. Places to eat, sites to see, things to do, etc.

palehozenychicty
05-18-2008, 09:56 PM
Welcome, and Thanks!

I'm one of those who will be making their first/only trip to Yankee Stadium this season, and it's also my first trip to New York, so I greatly appreciate suggestions on anything and everything. Places to eat, sites to see, things to do, etc.

Check out some of the things that I mentioned earlier in this thread. For other things, just PM me. I'll look out for you.

Jjav829
05-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Check out some of the things that I mentioned earlier in this thread. For other things, just PM me. I'll look out for you.

Will do. I don't have any specific questions right now, but if I do, I'll PM you. Thanks!

BadBobbyJenks
05-19-2008, 12:49 PM
I am going to the Sox game in New York on September 15th. I was hoping to catch Conan in the morning, but I just saw that it actually tapes at 4:15, which will probably not work for a 7:05 game. Anyone know what time Letterman tapes?