PDA

View Full Version : Dewayne Wise

sox1970
05-15-2008, 09:57 PM
4-4, Walkoff single to score Owens tonight.

He's batting .351

Nice lefty stick off the bench with speed and some power?

I think he'd be a nice replacement for Ramirez, who needs some AB's in the minors.

Lorenzo Barcelo
05-15-2008, 11:07 PM
4-4, Walkoff single to score Owens tonight.

He's batting .351

Nice lefty stick off the bench with speed and some power?

I think he'd be a nice replacement for Ramirez, who needs some AB's in the minors.

His ML stats kind of scare me a bit though? He's 30 yrs old...Is it too late to bloom?
http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/wisede01.shtml

Lillian
05-16-2008, 07:12 AM
I posted this the other day in another thread:

"Just a thought, but if the Sox do bring up a guy to bat leadoff, why wouldn't it be Dewayne Wise, instead of Jerry Owens?
I know that he's 30, but look at what he's doing. He has a better skill set than Owens, and he has 12 stolen bases in 17 attempts. He's leading the International League in hitting, and his OPS is 1.069.
He played all 3 Major sports in High School, so he must be a good athlete, and maybe he's just a late bloomer.
What do you think?
Has anyone ever seen him?"

Now he has a 4 for 4 night. He's leading the League!!!
I think the Sox should give him a try at leadoff. Why not put Konerko on the DL until that bone bruise heals. Swisher moves to first, and Wise plays center for a while.

Lillian
05-16-2008, 09:11 AM
I found this quote by Dewayne Wise's old high school coach. It was in a forum back in 2004:

"I WAS DEWAYNE’S COACH IN HIGH SCHOOL. THIS KID HAS MORE RAW ATHLETIC ABILITY THAN ANYONE I’VE EVER SEEN. HE IS A 5 POINT PLAYER, HE JUST NEED’S AN OPPORTUNITY TO PLAY EVERYDAY. GARCIA CAN’T HOLD THIS GUY’S JOCK STRAP."

btrain929
05-16-2008, 09:41 AM
It would be nice to have a lefty stick come off the bench for a change.

KyWhiSoxFan
05-16-2008, 12:26 PM
I found this quote by Dewayne Wise's old high school coach. It was in a forum back in 2004:

"I WAS DEWAYNE’S COACH IN HIGH SCHOOL. THIS KID HAS MORE RAW ATHLETIC ABILITY THAN ANYONE I’VE EVER SEEN. HE IS A 5 POINT PLAYER, HE JUST NEED’S AN OPPORTUNITY TO PLAY EVERYDAY. GARCIA CAN’T HOLD THIS GUY’S JOCK STRAP."

I suppose this quote would have more meaning if we knew who Garcia was. If it's Jerry Garcia ...

JohnTucker0814
05-16-2008, 01:30 PM
karim garcia??? :scratch:

Lillian
05-16-2008, 04:37 PM
I suppose this quote would have more meaning if we knew who Garcia was. If it's Jerry Garcia ...

I'm sorry. I forgot to clarify. This former coach was referring to Jesse Garcia when he and Wise were on the Braves, back in 2004. The important thing was that Wise's former coach said that "he had the most raw athletic ability of anyone he had ever seen." I thought you all might find that interesting.

FedEx227
05-16-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm sorry. I forgot to clarify. This former coach was referring to Jesse Garcia when he and Wise were on the Braves, back in 2004. The important thing was that Wise's former coach said that "he had the most raw athletic ability of anyone he had ever seen." I thought you all might find that interesting.

Unfortunately, and not to be a pessimist, but I hear that phrase thrown around so much, so really take it for what it's worth.

The guy is a 30-year old journeyman, I wouldn't be against giving him a chance because based on his numbers he's better than Jerry Owens.

Lillian
05-17-2008, 01:17 AM
Unfortunately, and not to be a pessimist, but I hear that phrase thrown around so much, so really take it for what it's worth.

The guy is a 30-year old journeyman, I wouldn't be against giving him a chance because based on his numbers he's better than Jerry Owens.

I understand that his age makes you wonder, but as we've both said; "he's better than Jerry Owens".

KRS1
05-17-2008, 01:26 AM
"he's better than Jerry Owens".

What leads you to believe that? Because he can hit AAA pitching after 11 years in the minors? AAAA guy, nothing more, whereas Jerry has actually performed somewhat well in the bigs, has upside, and is only in his fifth year of pro ball. There's countless minor league vets just like him who tear up the league every year.

Tragg
05-17-2008, 01:59 AM
I understand that his age makes you wonder, but as we've both said; "he's better than Jerry Owens".
Well, I think these are his ML stats. http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/wisede01.shtml

Not spectacular.
But, if it is a choice between him or Owens, why not.

Lillian
05-18-2008, 09:09 AM
Another homer, his 8th, and a walk, last night.
He has an OPS of 1.061, and an OBP of .422

He has never been this good, even in the minors. Apparently he's a very good athlete, with great speed, but played a lot of football.
Maybe he's finally just figured it out.
I don't care if he is 30, why not bring him up and let him lead off, at least until he cools off?

Craig Grebeck
05-18-2008, 09:31 AM
Another homer, his 8th, and a walk, last night.
He has an OPS of 1.061, and an OBP of .422

He has never been this good, even in the minors. Apparently he's a very good athlete, with great speed, but played a lot of football.
Maybe he's finally just figured it out.
I don't care if he is 30, why not bring him up and let him lead off, at least until he cools off?
Because there's nowhere to put him.

Lillian
05-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Because there's nowhere to put him.

Put Konerko on the DL
Send Ramirez down to AAA to get regular playing time.
Move Swisher to 1B
Give Wise some playing time in Center

I like Brian Anderson, but it doesn't appear as though he is going to get much of an opportunity to play, so let Wise be the guy they thought Owens was going to be. He seems to have more ability than Owens. The point here is that the Sox still don't have a lead off hitter. Maybe this guy can fill that need. He seems like the best candidate in our organization.

Craig Grebeck
05-18-2008, 10:06 AM
Put Konerko on the DL
Send Ramirez down to AAA to get regular playing time.
Move Swisher to 1B
Give Wise some playing time in Center

I like Brian Anderson, but it doesn't appear as though he is going to get much of an opportunity to play, so let Wise be the guy they thought Owens was going to be. He seems to have more ability than Owens. The point here is that the Sox still don't have a lead off hitter. Maybe this guy can fill that need. He seems like the best candidate in our organization.
How many 30 year olds magically figure it out in the least competitive league in the minors? He's nothing special and has SUCKED his entire career. He's been around for eleven years now -- he should be hitting .330 in the joke that is the International League.

Playing him over Anderson would be comical.

Lillian
05-18-2008, 11:39 AM
How many 30 year olds magically figure it out in the least competitive league in the minors? He's nothing special and has SUCKED his entire career. He's been around for eleven years now -- he should be hitting .330 in the joke that is the International League.

Playing him over Anderson would be comical.

If the International League is such a joke, then why is Owens hitting .223 in 130 at bats?
Of course, Brian is almost certainly a better talent, but he is not a leadoff candidate.

Look, I understand that this is a desperation move, but hear me out, please.
Most of us agree that the Sox need a leadoff hitter, and more speed.
Apparently management has thought the same, and that is why Owens was in their plans for this year. He probably would have been given Quentin's spot in Left, if he hadn't gotten hurt in Spring Training. Thank goodness that didn't happen, and we have Carlos in this starting lineup.

If the objective here is to add some speed, and to insert a legitimate lead off type hitter in the lineup, and they are not going to trade for one, then Wise looks like the best in house candidate.

He may be a late bloomer, or maybe he's just hot, but when a guy is leading his AAA League in batting average, OPS, and OBP, and has 12 stolen bases, it just seems like you have to bring him up, and see if he can produce at the Major League level.

He has more tools than Owens, who is pretty much a one dimensional player.
Owens has a weak arm, no power, and is not even capable of driving the ball into the gap with any regularity. He is probably best suited for a pinch running role.

If Wise can utilize his athletic ability and his 5 tools at the Big League level, like he is doing at Charlotte, then I don't care how old he is.
The Sox have a need, and he's the best candidate to fill it.

Craig Grebeck
05-18-2008, 11:49 AM
If the International League is such a joke, then why is Owens hitting .223 in 130 at bats?
Of course, Brian is almost certainly a better talent, but he is not a leadoff candidate.

Look, I understand that this is a desperation move, but hear me out, please.
Most of us agree that the Sox need a leadoff hitter, and more speed.
Apparently management has thought the same, and that is why Owens was in their plans for this year. He probably would have been given Quentin's spot in Left, if he hadn't gotten hurt in Spring Training. Thank goodness that didn't happen, and we have Carlos in this starting lineup.

If the objective here is to add some speed, and to insert a legitimate lead off type hitter in the lineup, and they are not going to trade for one, then Wise looks like the best in house candidate.

He may be a late bloomer, or maybe he's just hot, but when a guy is leading his AAA League in batting average, OPS, and OBP, and has 12 stolen bases, it just seems like you have to bring him up, and see if he can produce at the Major League level.

He has more tools than Owens, who is pretty much a one dimensional player.
Owens has a weak arm, no power, and is not even capable of driving the ball into the gap with any regularity. He is probably best suited for a pinch running role.

If Wise can utilize his athletic ability and his 5 tools at the Big League level, like he is doing at Charlotte, then I don't care how old he is.
The Sox have a need, and he's the best candidate to fill it.
You forgot to mention his 6 CS.

Why is Jerry Owens doing poorly? Because he sucks -- as does the I.L.

chaerulez
05-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Who cares if this guy is better than Jerry Owens? That's not saying much. That's like saying a NBA player is better than Dickey Simpkins.

Lillian
05-18-2008, 12:09 PM
So then where would Wise have to play, and what would he have to do in order to earn another look in the Bigs?

I'm a big believer in tools. If a guy has the tools, and begins to show that he can utilize them, I think that you have to give him a chance. That is the same reason that I still like Brian, and wish that he could get more playing time.

Craig Grebeck
05-18-2008, 12:43 PM
So then where would Wise have to play, and what would he have to do in order to earn another look in the Bigs?

I'm a big believer in tools. If a guy has the tools, and begins to show that he can utilize them, I think that you have to give him a chance. That is the same reason that I still like Brian, and wish that he could get more playing time.
Display some semblance of a major league game. Hitting like that in the I.L. means nothing. How many times have you watched him play?

Lillian
05-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Display some semblance of a major league game. Hitting like that in the I.L. means nothing. How many times have you watched him play?

No, I've never seen him play. I go to Spring Training every year, but he wasn't there, unless he was in the minor league camp.
Have you ever seen him?

Craig Grebeck
05-18-2008, 02:05 PM
No, I've never seen him play. I go to Spring Training every year, but he wasn't there, unless he was in the minor league camp.
Have you ever seen him?
No, I was just curious how you know he is so toolsy.