PDA

View Full Version : Will AJ Throw out someone trying to steal?

nevr say dye sox
05-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Yes or No, do you think AJ will throw out a base stealer this year. Better yet do you think he will attempt to throw out somebody, or will every attempt land in front or behind him when the ball falls out of his hand? I think AJ has a worse arm than Victor Martinez.

peeonwrigley
05-15-2008, 03:03 PM
He threw one out last night. However, the runner was called safe. It was one of the absolute worst blown calls I have ever seen.

voodoochile
05-15-2008, 03:05 PM
He threw one out last night. However, the runner was called safe. It was one of the absolute worst blown calls I have ever seen.

Angle ended up being bad because of the goofy slide and OC just barely touched the jersey with his glove. Not surprised the ump missed it given all of that and it definitely wasn't "one of the absolute worst blown calls I have ever seen."

:rolleyes:

Law11
05-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Doesnt help when umps blow calls or the fact that out pitchers are as slow as they come when delivering the ball to the plate.

I'll cut AJ slack. he calls a good game and is a solid defensive catcher especially when he's had guys like Freddy Garcia and Contreras to have to contend with.

alohafri
05-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Doesnt help when umps blow calls or the fact that out pitchers are as slow as they come when delivering the ball to the plate.

I'll cut AJ slack. he calls a good game and is a solid defensive catcher especially when he's had guys like Freddy Garcia and Contreras to have to contend with.

I'll take those two pluses with the minus of not too many guys thrown out.

delben91
05-15-2008, 03:18 PM
He'll probably never throw out any base stealers the rest of his career. He's a bum, let's release him. I hear Josh Paul is available, he'd be an instant upgrade.

Will he throw out a base stealer this year or just have the ball fall out of his hand every time? How absurd.

btrain929
05-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Will the pitchers besides Buehrle ever even attempt to hold the runners close?

Daver
05-15-2008, 03:25 PM
He wasn't signed for his defense.

peeonwrigley
05-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Angle ended up being bad because of the goofy slide and OC just barely touched the jersey with his glove. Not surprised the ump missed it given all of that and it definitely wasn't "one of the absolute worst blown calls I have ever seen."

:rolleyes:

Well, its the umpire's fault if he ends up out of position. He can move.

And OC did not barely touch the jersey. He planted a big fat tag on his chest.

And it was slow and drawn out relative to typical baseball bang-bang plays. Hence one of the worst blown calls I have seen.

oeo
05-15-2008, 03:26 PM
When only one guy on your starting staff can hold runners well, and three others are slow as hell to the plate, there will be stolen bases. AJ isn't the greatest, but part of it falls on the pitchers. Contreras and Floyd, especially, require everything to go perfectly (average jump, fastball, good throw, etc.).

oeo
05-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Well, its the umpire's fault if he ends up out of position. He can move.

I think it's an unwritten requirement for umpires to be lazy, plant their feet and not move. None of them adjust for better angles...the results show.

Frontman
05-15-2008, 03:42 PM
No, AJ will never throw anyone out again. Ever.

Just like Buehrle will never win another game.

And Jim Thome will never get another hit.

Ever.

:rolleyes::?:

jabrch
05-15-2008, 03:43 PM
With Jose pitching and AJ catching, the odds of throwing anyone out are small. That said, he'd nail Joe Cowley every time!

NADA SURF
05-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Yes or No, do you think AJ will throw out a base stealer this year. Better yet do you think he will attempt to throw out somebody, or will every attempt land in front or behind him when the ball falls out of his hand? I think AJ has a worse arm than Victor Martinez.He's probably another one that needs to go...
I never felt that you could have a winning team with a catcher that can't throw out runners.

hi im skot
05-15-2008, 04:00 PM
He's probably another one that needs to go...
I never felt that you could have a winning team with a catcher that can't throw out runners.

DEATH TO AJ. LONG LIVE BEN DAVIS.

:happyguy:

Daver
05-15-2008, 04:01 PM

Yeah, cause he really sucked in 2005.

Do you actually believe this crap you keep spewing?

kittle42
05-15-2008, 04:05 PM
No, AJ will never throw anyone out again. Ever.

Just like Buehrle will never win another game.

And Jim Thome will never get another hit.

Ever.

:rolleyes::?:

ANYBODY but AJ.
ANYBODY but Thome.
ANYBODY but Buehrle.

They should all be "released." I hear the Sox have several .300+ hitters at AAA who are known blue chippers.

kittle42
05-15-2008, 04:06 PM

I don't believe a team has ever had a "Major League"-esque 15-20 man overhaul in the offseason, but if Nada was GM...

PorkChopExpress
05-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Yes. I believe he has thrown out 5 this year so far.

NADA SURF
05-15-2008, 04:14 PM
DEATH TO AJ. LONG LIVE BEN DAVIS.

:happyguy:LOL....I love AJ, I just wish he'd throw out a few runners since the Sox seldom put up more than two runs a game while their outstanding pitching has kept them in games.

Frontman
05-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Yes. I believe he has thrown out 5 this year so far.

Can we just change your sig to a bit; to reflect posters here who come up with crazy notions?

ondafarm
05-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Is Toby Hall any better?

Frontman
05-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Is Toby Hall any better?

I hear Chris Widger is still available.

spawn
05-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Timberwolf, is that you?

NADA SURF
05-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Yeah, cause he really sucked in 2005.

Do you actually believe this crap you keep spewing?'05 was three years ago and he used to throw out runners then. His arm appears to be dead...
Oh yes, I believe what I put out on here.
Who wouldn't?

NADA SURF
05-15-2008, 04:32 PM
I don't believe a team has ever had a "Major League"-esque 15-20 man overhaul in the offseason, but if Nada was GM...I don't have time to go over the entire Nada Surf as GM proposals I had for this past offseason but I promise you all I will have that out here pretty soon...
I can tell you that I would have NEVER re-signed Dye and I would have tried heavily to peddle Konerko...
I also would NOT have tried to get Cabrera but I WOULD have tried to deal Garland...
I'll keep ya posted. Thanks for asking.

Daver
05-15-2008, 04:34 PM
'05 was three years ago and he used to throw out runners then. His arm appears to be dead...
Who wouldn't?

His arm has been terrible since he came up with the Twins, he plays because he is not a huge liability and he can hit for average and power.

spawn
05-15-2008, 04:36 PM
I don't have time to go over the entire Nada Surf as GM proposals I had for this past offseason but I promise you all I will have that out here pretty soon...

Don't do us any favors. Please.

kobo
05-15-2008, 04:43 PM
'05 was three years ago and he used to throw out runners then. His arm appears to be dead...

Except he threw someone out yesterday, unfortunately the ump missed the call. So I don't think his arm is dead.

NADA SURF
05-15-2008, 04:48 PM
His arm has been terrible since he came up with the Twins, he plays because he is not a huge liability and he can hit for average and power.With that said, AJ needs to go since he's not all that good of a hitter and he can't throw out runners for a team that can't hit...
Thanks
He's a cool guy, though. And I would miss him.

voodoochile
05-15-2008, 04:52 PM
I think it's an unwritten requirement for umpires to be lazy, plant their feet and not move. None of them adjust for better angles...the results show.

Let me get this straight. You are advocating that an umpire should be moving as the final split seconds of a play are unfolding? I mean sure, the play was long and drawn out from a typical tag em out situation, but the whole thing still took less than 1/2 seconds to unfold. Where exactly is he going to get to in that .5 seconds while watching the play that will allow him to make the proper call.

Oh and I stand by my assessment that OC barely nicked the jersey. I thought it was plainly obvious that was the case on the replay I saw.

Frontman
05-15-2008, 05:07 PM
With that said, AJ needs to go since he's not all that good of a hitter and he can't throw out runners for a team that can't hit...
Thanks
He's a cool guy, though. And I would miss him.

Let's set your tenure as a GM aside for a moment and focus on this one particular suggestion. You think AJ needs to go. Ok, I'm going to play Ozzie here for a second and agree with you, GM Surf (or would it be GM Nada? But I digress....)

As Ozzie, I would have to ask, "Ok, now who do you tink I should put in to play catcher? Hall, who canna throw anyone out either?"

Honestly, who should be the Sox starting catcher?

oeo
05-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Let me get this straight. You are advocating that an umpire should be moving as the final split seconds of a play are unfolding? I mean sure, the play was long and drawn out from a typical tag em out situation, but the whole thing still took less than 1/2 seconds to unfold. Where exactly is he going to get to in that .5 seconds while watching the play that will allow him to make the proper call.

There is more than 0.5 seconds between the time the baserunner starts to run, and the throw is being made. Watch and react.

You're never going to get them all right, and I can understand the umpire's call yesterday. That said, I'm sick of these umpires refusing to move to get a better angle on the play.

Oh and I stand by my assessment that OC barely nicked the jersey. I thought it was plainly obvious that was the case on the replay I saw.I have to agree with the poster earlier...it was more than a nick of the jersey.

whitesox901
05-15-2008, 05:12 PM
I hear Chris Widger is still available.

Maybe fisk will catch for us when hes not our ambassador :D:

doublem23
05-15-2008, 05:15 PM

They'll never win anything as long as AJ is around.

http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=314&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=382670

voodoochile
05-15-2008, 05:30 PM
There is more than 0.5 seconds between the time the baserunner starts to run, and the throw is being made. Watch and react.

You're never going to get them all right, and I can understand the umpire's call yesterday. That said, I'm sick of these umpires refusing to move to get a better angle on the play.

I have to agree with the poster earlier...it was more than a nick of the jersey.

Umps have to decide where to positions themselves before the play to get the best angle on a potential play and not interfere with the play in question. It's very tough to be moving a lot while the play is unfolding. Yes, total time from release of baseball from catcher to attempted slide in this case was probably closer to a second, but only because it was an intricate slide. Ump can't move until the ball hits the catcher's glove and then has the issue of not wanting to interfere with the runner, defender covering the bag or the flight of the baseball (normally about head high and dropping).

I just don't see where this leaves a lot of time to be shifting positions and the more the ump is moving the more the play in front of them appears to move. It's the same reason batters try to keep their heads still while watching a pitch because it's way easier to see what is going on and focus in on details while your head is stationary. I doubt the percentage of calls that are made correctly (well above 99%, IMO) could be improved by putting the umps in motion on a regular basis, but hey, you can believe it if you want to...

JB98
05-15-2008, 06:34 PM

A.J. Pierzynski has been an everyday catcher in the big leagues for seven years.

He has been on 5 90-win teams.
He has been on 3 division winners.
He has been on 1 world champion.

2007 was the first time A.J. Pierzynski has ever played on a losing team in his life.

A.J. is not the best defensive catcher I've ever seen or anything, but he is a winner. Period.

Chicken Dinner
05-15-2008, 07:13 PM
http://www.taipeitimes.com/images/2006/05/22/20060521201159.jpeg
It all started about 2 years ago. Hasn't been the same since. :D:

NADA SURF
05-15-2008, 07:13 PM
Let's set your tenure as a GM aside for a moment and focus on this one particular suggestion. You think AJ needs to go. Ok, I'm going to play Ozzie here for a second and agree with you, GM Surf (or would it be GM Nada? But I digress....)

As Ozzie, I would have to ask, "Ok, now who do you tink I should put in to play catcher? Hall, who canna throw anyone out either?"

Honestly, who should be the Sox starting catcher?
I don't want AJ going anywhere now...
I'll let you know who I recommend for next year...

NADA SURF
05-15-2008, 07:14 PM
A.J. Pierzynski has been an everyday catcher in the big leagues for seven years.

He has been on 5 90-win teams.
He has been on 3 division winners.
He has been on 1 world champion.

2007 was the first time A.J. Pierzynski has ever played on a losing team in his life.

A.J. is not the best defensive catcher I've ever seen or anything, but he is a winner. Period.
Well said...Let's keep him!

Daver
05-15-2008, 07:15 PM

Will it match Rich McKinney's pick?

I bet it does.

RockJock07
05-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Will the pitchers besides Buehrle ever even attempt to hold the runners close?

No, Danks had 3 steals off of him the other night, our pitchers are bad, just bad at holding runner, so far it hasn't really killed us but AJ is NOT the problem.

Frontman
05-15-2008, 08:08 PM

Did you not just post earlier AJ needs to go?

Screw next year; the division is in striking distance. So again, I ask of you; who should the Sox have to start this season to go after the Division championship?

NADA SURF
05-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Did you not just post earlier AJ needs to go?

Screw next year; the division is in striking distance. So again, I ask of you; who should the Sox have to start this season to go after the Division championship?That was because Daver said AJ couldn't throw anyone out ever so I let him sway my opinion to getting rid of him...
Someone after that swayed me back...
I'm about 50/50 on AJ now...We may not be able to afford him as catcher since nobody can hit anymore on this team.

Daver
05-15-2008, 09:25 PM
That was because Daver said AJ couldn't throw anyone out ever so I let him sway my opinion to getting rid of him...
Someone after that swayed me back...
I'm about 50/50 on AJ now...We may not be able to afford him as catcher since nobody can hit anymore on this team.

I said no such thing, and do not ever put words in my mouth.

You already got banned for it once.

NADA SURF
05-15-2008, 10:02 PM
His arm has been terrible since he came up with the Twins, he plays because he is not a huge liability and he can hit for average and power.Here's what you said...Let the reader's decide. Nobody was putting words in your mouth.

Daver
05-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Here's what you said...Let the reader's decide. Nobody was putting words in your mouth.

What does Rich Mckinney think?

NADA SURF
05-15-2008, 10:09 PM
What does Rich Mckinney think?
McKinney agrees with me!

kittle42
05-16-2008, 01:00 AM
Here's what you said...Let the reader's decide. Nobody was putting words in your mouth.

NOW I'm glad he was banned. :D:

Foulke You
05-16-2008, 01:19 AM
This is actually an excellent observation voodoo. I used to think exactly as oeo did about umps being lazy and then I read a really entertaining and interesting book called "Planet of the Umps" by former MLB umpire Ken Kaiser. In the book, Ken said that easily his biggest pet peeve as an umpire was fans and media who were critical of umps not running enough to get into position. Kaiser explained in a very clear way why you generally see umps be perfectly still at the instant a play is happening. He said, (I'm paraphrasing here) "When you run, your entire body is in motion including your head and eyes which makes it extremely difficult to focus on a fast developing play or anything else for that matter. When you are standing still, you can focus clearly on the play and make a much better call because your vision isn't bouncing up and down."

I highly recommend the book. It is a great read for any baseball fan and you'll never look at an MLB umpire the same again after reading it. It also offers some insight into the infamous broken union which cost good umps like Kaiser their jobs.

kitekrazy
05-16-2008, 10:37 AM
His arm has been terrible since he came up with the Twins, he plays because he is not a huge liability and he can hit for average and power.

Some forget that handling pitchers is a big part of it. I think A.J. was part of the reason why the 2005 staff pitched so well.

kitekrazy
05-16-2008, 10:39 AM
So have we made it around to criticizing everyone on the team and they need to be gone? Let's get rid of the whole roster and forfeit the season.

kittle42
05-16-2008, 11:24 AM
So have we made it around to criticizing everyone on the team and they need to be gone? Let's get rid of the whole roster and forfeit the season.

That's what Nada Surf wanted to do.

nasox
05-17-2008, 01:59 AM
That's what Nada Surf wanted to do.

Knew he wasn't going to last long...

FarWestChicago
05-17-2008, 05:31 AM
Who wouldn't?Anybody with an IQ 3 points above a rock.

SoxandtheCityTee
05-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Knew he wasn't going to last long...

He didn't seem like he was really even a Sox fan. :scratch: