PDA

View Full Version : 6 million for a 16 year old kid??!!

WizardsofOzzie
05-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Apparently the Yankees and Mariners are talking about bidding for Michel Inoa, a 16 year old pitcher from the Dominican Republic. 3-4 million is the number being thrown around so far, but could reach up to 6 million. I was happy to drive a car at 16, let alone be a multi-millionaire :o:

Link (article 3/4 of the way down) (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings)

palehozenychicty
05-15-2008, 02:31 PM
I know that his prom is going to be bananas! :D:

skottyj242
05-15-2008, 02:36 PM
International players should have to go through the draft.

WizardsofOzzie
05-15-2008, 03:11 PM
I know that his prom is going to be bananas! :D:
It can be on MTV's "My Super Sweet 16: Prom Edition"

Jerko
05-15-2008, 03:41 PM
He's probably at least 25.

sox1970
05-15-2008, 03:42 PM

Agreed!

chaerulez
05-15-2008, 03:44 PM

Agreed, it's pretty shady that they don't have to.

Stoky44
05-15-2008, 05:23 PM
I would bet he is at least 18.

cws05champ
05-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Agreed, it's pretty shady that they don't have to.
One of the major problems with baseball is no salary cap and the draft issues. When the worst teams don't get the choice of the best talent available it's a cycle that will keep repeating itself.

TDog
05-15-2008, 06:21 PM
One of the major problems with baseball is no salary cap and the draft issues. When the worst teams don't get the choice of the best talent available it's a cycle that will keep repeating itself.

And for the second time this season, Kansas City, which spends little money just swept the Tigers, who spend a lot of money. Of the teams that spend, few teams spend their money wisely. Players are usually paid by what they have done, which doesn't always predict what they will do. Even the White Sox have been in decline since 2005, although their payroll has been going up.

If you want to suggest a totally unrealistic labor system, why not suggest a reserve clause that virtually binds a player to a team for life and no opportunity for player-instigated free agency to go along with a draft.

Southsider101
05-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Maybe the kid should hold out until Southern Cal makes an offer?

ComiskeyBrewer
05-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Maybe the kid should hold out until Southern Cal makes an offer?

probably get more perks from USC.

EndemicSox
05-16-2008, 02:43 PM
And for the second time this season, Kansas City, which spends little money just swept the Tigers, who spend a lot of money. Of the teams that spend, few teams spend their money wisely. Players are usually paid by what they have done, which doesn't always predict what they will do. Even the White Sox have been in decline since 2005, although their payroll has been going up.

If you want to suggest a totally unrealistic labor system, why not suggest a reserve clause that virtually binds a player to a team for life and no opportunity for player-instigated free agency to go along with a draft.

It's a good point, but it doesn't change my belief that the worst teams should get a shot at these guys before the Yankees can throw their billions at them...

doublem23
05-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Baseball somehow survived and thrived for decades while the Yankees dominated everyone else.

It's a great game.

TDog
05-16-2008, 03:48 PM
It's a good point, but it doesn't change my belief that the worst teams should get a shot at these guys before the Yankees can throw their billions at them...

You can believe anything you want to believe in. But what you believe in is never going to happen.

soxfanreggie
05-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Unfortunately these purchases don't count against salary caps. If they did, teams with really high payrolls may not consider bidding as much. When teams like the Yankees and Red Sox have tons of millions more in their systems through players like these, it spreads the differences even further apart between them and smaller market teams.

Granted, some teams will spend more on coaches, scouts, player development, etc., and maybe there isn't anything more than a salary cap to make things equitable, but how many teams can afford to shell out this much to these kids. What if the NBA didn't have international players in the draft? You might end up with all those top picks from Europe/Yao on a select few teams.

DSpivack
05-16-2008, 08:00 PM
Unfortunately these purchases don't count against salary caps. If they did, teams with really high payrolls may not consider bidding as much. When teams like the Yankees and Red Sox have tons of millions more in their systems through players like these, it spreads the differences even further apart between them and smaller market teams.

Granted, some teams will spend more on coaches, scouts, player development, etc., and maybe there isn't anything more than a salary cap to make things equitable, but how many teams can afford to shell out this much to these kids. What if the NBA didn't have international players in the draft? You might end up with all those top picks from Europe/Yao on a select few teams.

The unfortunate outcome would be something similar to the EPL in soccer, where only 4 teams realistically compete for a title every year.

That said, you look at the reality of baseball and we've had a different champion every year since 2001.